Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I purchased my MBP and I know most of you out there use your Macs to make you money. Was wondering if anyone could suggest ways I could make some money on my computer

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
viccles said:
I purchased my MBP and I know most of you out there use your Macs to make you money. Was wondering if anyone could suggest ways I could make some money on my computer
You need a decent scanner, some color correction software, a high quality printer -- and some bleached $1 bills. ;)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Sun Baked said:
You need a decent scanner, some color correction software, a high quality printer -- and some bleached $1 bills. ;)

$1 bills? We haven't had them in decades.

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Sun Baked said:

My printer recognizes bills and stops printing them. They getting smarter.

No, I wasn't trying to make counterfeit money. This was for drama class.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I don't think most people make money with their Macs. Most people with any sort of computer use them for personal things, not to make money. That said, here are some ideas based on things I do to make money:

Learn how to edit video and author DVDs. Offer to film things like weddings, school concerts, etc.

Learn how to do webdesign then get your name out and start designing websites for people.

Learn how to develop Mac applications, develop something cool, then offer it as shareware.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Skeeball236 said:
Everyone knows what I meant, except you. ;)

of course, i could be reading your wink wrong....who can tell anymore.?

I don't think I could make money off the webcam somehow :( No Angelia Jolie body :D

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Make a virus for a mac (Is that even possible?) well if it is then do it and then tell steve jobs unless he put 1 billon dollars (Says it in doctor evil voice) in your bank account you will release it and it will make his whole macs dont get viruses campain go down!!!! But i dont think it is possible :( maybe 3-5 years ago

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
viccles said:

You could pimp out your MacBook to people who 'love' Macs, but don't have the money for their own. It's already a 'Pro.' ;)

Otherwise, I got nothing.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Bobdude161 said:
I have a few ideas but I'm not telling you cuz then you'll steal em. :D
But that has been tried already, and the law has already caught up with him. ;)

Of course your idea about single clicking for an order KY moonshine wasn't a bad idea either.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
viccles said:
I don't think I could make money off the webcam somehow :( No Angelia Jolie body :D

According to your signature, you already meet the one and only requirement to making money online with a webcam:

"I'm a girl"

;)

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Xcat said:
My printer recognizes bills and stops printing them. They getting smarter.

No, I wasn't trying to make counterfeit money. This was for drama class.

Did you know ts illegal to scan any currency. Even if you have no intention of printing it. Oh and you have one smartass printer! :D

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
You could use the built in wireless or ethernet card to connect to the internet access Monster.com and get a job.

Just kidding (kind of). Just surprised no one had come up with this one yet. Call me old fashioned.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
viccles said:
Was wondering if anyone could suggest ways I could make some money on my computer
Well, it depends on what software you have and what skills you possess.

There is (for me) tons of things I've been paid for doing using my Macs. For example, I do web design (html, flash, quicktime, etc.), page layout (single page, multipage, ads), audio editing (adding or removing ads, repairing sound quality, preparing for the web) and video editing (capturing and editing, adding sound tracks, preparing for the web).

But most of that requires special software and learning how to use it. Generally speaking, there is hardly anything that can be done on a Mac that I can't do on my Macs thanks to my software collection.

If I was in your position (with a MacBook Pro and little else), I think I would start doing simple page layout and graphic design. I've helped a number of people get started with this in their homes. There is entry level (semi-professional) tools out there for this type of thing. Create and Photoshop Elements cover most of your bases (Create does page layout and illustration and Photoshop Elements does most of what you would need in image editing) for about $250.

From there you could start making money.

After that you could do what I basically did... download a demo of some piece of software and use it for a project. If you earn enough from the project to pay for the full version, then the app has already paid for itself. Almost all my apps (specially any that cost more than $100) were bought this way.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
1. Get a mailbox at an independent retailer. In the US, we have places like the UPS Store and Mailboxes Etc. that provide private mailboxes with realistic looking addresses.

2. Have them forward your mail to an Australian post office box in a town other than your own.

3. Send out thousands of spam emails with the subject "I'll teach you how to stuff envelopes!" In the body of the email, write something like "You can make $5 stuffing envelopes for each envelope you stuff! I used to be a (insert sob story) until I started making an extra $45,000 dollars a year stuffing envelopes! If you'd like a free starter's guide packed with a wealth of information on how to stuff envelopes, send a self addressed stamped envelope and $5 to (independent retailer address)."

4. When you get their $5 payment and their envelope, just send them a printout of the very same email you sent them in the first place in the envelope. And there you go! One more sucker who will learn how to stuff envelopes! There's no guilt in teaching them a lesson of common sense, and plus you've enriched their lives by passing on a valuable skill! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.