PDA

View Full Version : What you want in the new mac mini

Jimmieboy
Sep 2, 2006, 06:31 AM
With rumours of an updated mac mini coming soo I thought it would be interesting to see what others think the mimi will have or what they want the mini to have. Heres mine:

Intel Core Duo 2 with speed bumps
Ability for 5.1 channel surround sound
Support for a 30" apple cinema display (awesome but not likly)

Chundles
Sep 2, 2006, 06:32 AM
With rumours of an updated mac mini coming soo I thought it would be interesting to see what others think the mimi will have or what they want the mini to have. Heres mine:

Intel Core Duo 2 with speed bumps
Ability for 5.1 channel surround sound
Support for a 30" apple cinema display (awesome but not likly)

1. Cheaper
2. Cheaper
3. Cheaper

cube
Sep 2, 2006, 06:37 AM
- Discrete graphics
- Dual-link DVI
- 3.5" hard disk

MacsAttack
Sep 2, 2006, 06:41 AM
Want..

Quad 3GB Core 2 Duo
16 MBytes memory
FX4500 graphics card
2 TB HD capacity
Superdrive

generik
Sep 2, 2006, 06:43 AM
I'd go with cheaper, I don't mind it not having discrete graphics and stuff, all I need is basically:

1) Core Duo
2) 2GB of ram
3) make the base config cheap!

Chundles
Sep 2, 2006, 06:45 AM
Want..

Quad 3GB Core 2 Duo
16 MBytes memory
FX4500 graphics card
2 TB HD capacity
Superdrive

Awesome idea, keep it cheap by skimping on the RAM. Only 16MB - genius. ;)

miniConvert
Sep 2, 2006, 06:57 AM
It just needs to be cheaper. The existing Core Duo model is already blisteringly fast for such a dense machine. Just keep making minor improvements and drilling away at the price, Apple.

MacsAttack
Sep 2, 2006, 07:09 AM
Awesome idea, keep it cheap by skimping on the RAM. Only 16MB - genius. ;)

Got to cut costs somewhere...

Scarlet Fever
Sep 2, 2006, 07:20 AM
-cheaper
-more HDD capacity
-no core solo
-a media centre model

Jimmieboy
Sep 2, 2006, 07:27 AM
Yes. I agree with cheaper. It's a pity that all the prices of macs have been pushed up since the transition to intel. I would have thought that since windows based PC's use intel processors they would have been cheaper. They must cost more to manufacture or something.

Chundles
Sep 2, 2006, 07:31 AM
Yes. I agree with cheaper. It's a pity that all the prices of macs have been pushed up since the transition to intel. I would have thought that since windows based PC's use intel processors they would have been cheaper. They must cost more to manufacture or something.

They do, well, the Core chips do (I know Yonah isn't a Core chip but you get my gist) but Apple went with new and good rather than old and acceptable. Prices will fall again as production ramps right up.

emptyCup
Sep 2, 2006, 07:42 AM
Cheaper is something Apple only does when a) its costs drop dramatically or b) it has nothing else to do. I would be surprised to see Same but Cheaper heading into the Holiday season.

Which would you rather have: Same specs, Cheaper price or Same price, Better specs? My guess, not that I am good at this, is that we will get a faster processor with, perhaps, better integrated graphics.

Chundles
Sep 2, 2006, 07:46 AM
Cheaper is something Apple only does when a) its costs drop dramatically or b) it has nothing else to do. I would be surprised to see Same but Cheaper heading into the Holiday season.

Which would you rather have: Same specs, Cheaper price or Same price, Better specs? My guess, not that I am good at this, is that we will get a faster processor with, perhaps, better integrated graphics.

Same specs, cheaper price. Definitely.

Our Mac mini prices went up considerably with the Intel models, $1250 for the Core Duo model is just a tad too much...

NextTuesday
Sep 2, 2006, 07:51 AM
Cheaper, easier to open, lose the Core Solo model and a faster HDD inside it.

clevin
Sep 2, 2006, 07:51 AM
same specs, cheaper, hands down
"Core2Duo"? should be called "get this one, pay me for for something you don't really need"

Josias
Sep 2, 2006, 08:10 AM
I hope they make one model, just like with the MacPro's. Also, there is no Core 2 Solo;)

What I think it will be:
1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo (BTO 2 GHz)
512 MB RAM (1x512 MB)
80 GB 2.5" HDD (up to 120 GB)
Intel GMA/965 64 MB DDR2
8x DVD+/-RW DL
$599

What I want it to be:
1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo (BTO 2 GHz)
1 GB DDR2 RAM (2x512 MB)
160 GB 3.5"HDD (up to 500 GB)
Ati Radeon X1300 64 MB GDDR3 (BTO 128 MB+DDL)
16x DVD+/-RW DL
$599

freebooter
Sep 2, 2006, 08:11 AM
I have a ppc mac mini. It's been fine but....
I want something like an iMac without the screen. i don't care if it costs more than a mini, and if they have to make it bigger (a midi cube?). Right now, I'm finding the 1.42 too slow in CS2 and it has trouble processing some video codecs. So, I want speed, cpu and gpu (and maybe dual screening).

Glen Quagmire
Sep 2, 2006, 08:12 AM
Better graphics (ATI or Nvidia).
Merom.
7200rpm hard drive as standard.

Easy Rider
Sep 2, 2006, 11:24 AM
- Discrete graphics
- Dual-link DVI
- 3.5" hard disk

quoted for ****ing truth

clevin
Sep 2, 2006, 11:28 AM
Better graphics (ATI or Nvidia).
Merom.
7200rpm hard drive as standard.
$899

Fedge
Sep 2, 2006, 11:49 AM
1. Cheaper base configuration ($499 was a good price point)
2. 3.5" HDD.

I could care less about graphics. If you're buying a $499 mac to play games, you need to re-think your strategy. But the ability to put a full size, 3.5" (750GB!) HDD in there would be AWESOME. The possibilites as a web server, or a media server would be endless.

jmsait19
Sep 2, 2006, 12:47 PM
i'd like to stop right here the use of the term "midi cube." MIDI is Musical Instrument Digital Interface. It is used to interconnect things in the "music sphere." So I would like to start a coalition to abolish the use of the term "Midi Cube" as a reference to a mid-size Mac.

(Plus, I had a MIDI class in college and I hated it and I would like not to be reminded of it in a place that I love so much.)

clevin
Sep 2, 2006, 01:39 PM
mac mini now is incredibly over-priced. Apple is ripping people off on this. So next step obviously should be the lowering of the price to $450/$600 level.

kered22
Sep 2, 2006, 03:47 PM
I have one of 1.6Ghz core duos and I really like it, doesn't need a whole lot more given it's market.

But at the same time... I'd love to see the Cube concept brought back, maybe expand it into a slightly bigger enclosure. Put a Conroe in there, 4 RAM slots, room for 2 hard drives at least, upgradeable PCI express graphics card. I'm guessing it won't ever happen, but if Apple did put a system like that out, at the right price point, it'd sell great.

srf4real
Sep 2, 2006, 03:55 PM
It would be nice for the new mini to come with a built in mind reader so I didn't have to type so much. And a transporter like on Star Trek!

Dont Hurt Me
Sep 2, 2006, 03:55 PM
Cpu's are fast enough as they are today in my view but the video system on Mini is just bottom class. I want a real GPU in there somewhere not the integrated crap. Im not talking a X1900Xt or anything just a nice real GPU perhaps middle range stuff. GMA 950 just handicaps the current machine big time. Its an achilles heel. or a Cube redo.

I'mAMac
Sep 2, 2006, 04:03 PM
I'd want:
-Decent graphics
-Cheaper
-Better sound
-More RAM

viccles
Sep 2, 2006, 04:07 PM
Better sound
A single 512 memory chip :D or even better 1GB

QCassidy352
Sep 2, 2006, 04:19 PM
merom
discrete graphics BTO

That's all. I'd buy one.

Xander562
Sep 2, 2006, 04:49 PM
1. Cheaper
2. Cheaper
3. Cheaper
yeah me too, i'd jump on one if they were cheaper. (even though i dont really need one it'd be nice to have aroun)

EricNau
Sep 2, 2006, 04:54 PM
If Apple could manage to drop the price to $399 ($100 less than the previous model), I suspect they would see a huge jump in sales.

Maybe with a configuration like this:
OK, nevermind, the specifications I had in mind are already being sold for $599. :o

Apple really needs to have a cheap, affordable model to convince the average consumer to switch.

Jimmieboy
Sep 2, 2006, 04:55 PM
I'mAMac I'd want:
-Decent graphics
-Cheaper
-Better sound
-More RAM
I couldn't agree more. I sure hope apple decided to have a dedicated video card in this machine. By better sound are you talking of sound output or the built in speaker?

EricNau
Sep 2, 2006, 05:02 PM
Besides a dirt cheap model, I also want a mac mini with a complete media center experience, and yes, that includes watching and recording live TV and a real remote.

jne381
Sep 2, 2006, 05:06 PM
I want it to support dual displays, and the ability to put 500GB hard drive in it.

DaveGee
Sep 2, 2006, 05:14 PM
It would be nice for the new mini to come with a built in mind reader so I didn't have to type so much. And a transporter like on Star Trek!

And cheaper don't for get cheaper! :rolleyes:

D

DaveGee
Sep 2, 2006, 05:17 PM
Oh and to jump on this somewhat silly bandwagon here's what I want to see in the new Mac Mini

- Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors
- 4MB shared L2 cache per processor
- 1.33GHz dual independent frontside buses
- 1GB memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory
- 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive1
- 16x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

All for $199.99 :p

I'mAMac
Sep 2, 2006, 05:25 PM
I couldn't agree more. I sure hope apple decided to have a dedicated video card in this machine. By better sound are you talking of sound output or the built in speaker?
Both. It isnt loud enough and the quality isnt great lol.;)
Oh and to jump on this somewhat silly bandwagon here's what I want to see in the new Mac Mini

- Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors
- 4MB shared L2 cache per processor
- 1.33GHz dual independent frontside buses
- 1GB memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory
- 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive1
- 16x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

All for $199.99 :p
Eh could be better...:p

MacsAttack
Sep 2, 2006, 05:55 PM

Can't see you getting that...

What I'm waiting for is the second revision of time machine - the one that not only allows you to go back in time to get old versions of files, but also goes forwards so you can retreive the files you have yet to create.

Now that would be a killer app.

LastBreath
Sep 2, 2006, 06:21 PM
Even at its current price and spec the Mini is a good pick up, what i want is:

1. Cheaper
2. Move everything

But what i think we will get is:

1. Hold on price
2. Something a little extra

NayPaps
Jul 26, 2011, 08:07 PM
Core i5 and i7... 5 years from now

Mr.C
Jul 26, 2011, 08:30 PM
Am I missing something ? What was the point of bumping up a thread from almost 5 years ago. :eek: