PDA

View Full Version : A 'different' problem with the MacBook casing

iCheese
Sep 3, 2006, 10:24 PM
I just noticed a problem with my white macbook case, and it isn't discoloring. The two spots on the wrist area, where the two magnet latches make contact with the case when the macbook is closed, have started to seperate into a fine crack that I can seperate with my finger. This really pisses me off, I know Apple will replace the top case after I bring it in to show them, but it is just such a hassle when this shouldn't have happened in the first place :mad:

I guess I made this thread so I could ask other macbook owners if they have experienced this same problem. Anyone?

Xander562
Sep 3, 2006, 10:48 PM
this is the first time i've ever heard of it.... you should be happy that's ALL thats wrong with your macbook, compared to this persons. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=230060)
Yet, i agree it should never happen in the first place.

iCheese
Sep 3, 2006, 10:51 PM
Ya I agree...considering how long I have had my macbook so far :( I guess since I haven't had any discoloring, something bad had to happen.

iCheese
Sep 5, 2006, 09:08 PM
Just a few minutes ago I was going to use my macbook and I quickly placed my wrists on the computer, and I guess somehow I was able to pull my hands back just enough to actually catch on one of the cracks and pull it apart, breaking it. I finally took some pics to show everyone what I mean.

http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=casecrack1tf9.jpg

http://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?image=casecrack2dr5.jpg

:(

I was going to take it to the apple store tonight to show the 'geniuses' but the online reservation maker said they wouldn't be able to help me tonight, so I am going first thing tomorrow morning. I am hoping they will have the part at the store so it can be repaired quickly, I am going on a trip on friday and I have to bring the computer with me!

Rapmastac1
Sep 6, 2006, 12:18 AM
Whoa dude, that is like totally messed up, I'm looking at my Macbook trying to figure out HOW!?. Have you ever dropped your machine, have Apple look at this immediatly, that is crazy. Maybe the magnet is pulling it out, but the only strong enough magnetical force to do that would kill your hard drive at the same time, so that is out. WOW!

iCheese
Sep 6, 2006, 12:19 AM
I have always handled my macbook carefully, and I have never dropped it once. When I travel with it, I keep it in a padded case so it is well protected.

iCheese
Sep 6, 2006, 10:12 PM
Well I took my macbook in to the store today and the person there said that apple would fix my macbook under warranty :)

generik
Sep 6, 2006, 11:01 PM
It is not a problem, think different!

miles01110
Sep 7, 2006, 07:54 AM
Wow, that's just shoddy construction.

generik
Sep 7, 2006, 08:14 AM
Wow, that's just shoddy construction.

No it is not, it is unique construction. Each MB exhibits unique cracks.

vegansnake
Sep 20, 2006, 08:45 AM
Same problem with my white MB (cracks showing up), where you able to have the top case replaced?

matttrick
Sep 20, 2006, 11:50 AM
No it is not, it is unique construction. Each MB exhibits unique cracks.

haha.. sort of like the ripped jeans that people pay $100+ for eh?

iCheese
Sep 20, 2006, 11:55 PM
Same problem with my white MB (cracks showing up), where you able to have the top case replaced?

Yes they replaced the top case without a hassle, but after they replaced that part the screen's backlight wouldn't work anymore. They guy on the phone told me they were going to have to send it to their repair depot so they could replace the broken part (LCD, inverter, or logicboard, maybe a combination). I need to wait 10 to 15 days before I will get it back :(

vegansnake
Sep 21, 2006, 02:39 AM
Went to the local Apple center today for the cracks. It seems this is the first time they've heard of such a thing. They took photos of the cracks and had a hard time describing the problem in their report: bottom line they just catergorized the whole incident as 'stained top-case'.

Fine with me as long as they replace the top case. They estimated the replacement top-case to arrive within a month, so I didn't leave the unit with them (what will I use?). They'll just call me when it arrives so I can bring the Macbook and have the top-case replaced.

I'll just wait and see what happens.

Trump48257
Oct 4, 2006, 11:08 PM
My black MacBook just got a hairline crack there on the right side. Gonna run it to the Apple store on Friday...we'll see how that goes. Did you guys have to send yours off or were they able to fix it there? Any info would be appreciated.

Gamdoan
Oct 4, 2006, 11:26 PM
Hi all. I do not own a MacBook, though I plan to buy one in the next few weeks. I thought I might know what causes these cracks. I carry my iBook in my backback (it has a laptop compartment), and sometimes I've noticed that the weight of my books causes some stress on the display and body of the machine by squeezing the two components together.

Well, if your MacBooks are being squeezed like that in your laptop cases, perhaps the little ridges on the display that indicate where the magnetic lathces are located are pushing into and cracking the body's plastic.

I don't know if this helps, but after reading this thread, I plan on getting a set of Wildeepz (http://www.radtech.us/Products/Wildeepz.aspx) to help cushion the display more evenly when I get my MacBook.

Just seeing if this is a possible cause-theory and solution to the problem at hand.

dairishcajun
Oct 20, 2006, 03:11 PM
I just found a crack in the same exact place as the pictures of your's on my black macbook. I luckily found it and put tape over it so my hand doesn't catch and exaggerate the fissure, but you can bet I'll be quoting this thread and taking it into the geniuses tomorrow. It surprises me that this isn't a greater issue, seeing as everyone seems to be noting a hairline fissure on the right inside edge.

Cybergypsy
Oct 20, 2006, 07:18 PM
Looks like it was dropped......

Egaas
Oct 20, 2006, 07:32 PM
I spilled coffee (not that much!) on my macbook keyboard yesterday. It survived. Thank the lord.

Jon90
Oct 26, 2006, 05:23 AM
My case has a crack in a different area - at the front left of the Macbook.

There are a couple of threads - one on the Apple Discussions.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=588652&tstart=120
http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and-macbook/313408/white-macbook-crack-anyone-else/#post3170382

I was v. interested to see that there are 7 already on your poll.

I am waiting to see what Applecare say at the moment...

I would hope that there will be no problem - as there has been no impact or abuse.

Kenturamon
Oct 27, 2006, 08:01 AM
Same thing here, always keep it in a case, never dropped it.

http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picturedm5.jpg

skunk
Oct 27, 2006, 08:03 AM
Looks like it might be yet another badly-specified plastic part. The lip clearly can't take the pressure.

bklam
Nov 28, 2006, 07:13 PM
sorry to bump an old thread, but i recently sent mine in as well. It started in the right corner and spread all the way to the area were u lift open the lid. The magnetic part is actually clicking (so loud that you can hear it through the phone) when you type.

I left if with the apple service provider and i'm hoping they will take a look at it soon.

If not i'll quote them to this page.

scott523
Nov 29, 2006, 12:43 AM
I'm a bit puzzled on why hasn't anybody in this thread stated what rev. macbook is this issue related to. Be specific, everyone. Is it the CD MacBook or C2D MacBook cracking? Right now, I'm seeing 2 line marks that correspond to the two bumps above the LCD but no cracks.

iCheese
Nov 29, 2006, 12:47 AM
Considering that the MacBook casing hasn't changed at all, it would be safe to assume that both revisions are susceptible. Those lines that you see on your computer will continue to worsen and turn into cracks, so be prepared to have your top casing replaced (for free under Apple Care).

scott523
Nov 29, 2006, 12:51 AM
Considering that the MacBook casing hasn't changed at all, it would be safe to assume that both revisions are susceptible. Those lines that you see on your computer will continue to worsen and turn into cracks, so be prepared to have your top casing replaced (for free under Apple Care).
Hmm I guess I better register my MacBook under APP ASAP. I got the box but I've been hesitant to register since I returned one MacBook and I'd hate to go through the hassle of changing registered Macs.

iCheese
Nov 29, 2006, 12:53 AM
It should be replaceable under the warranty that came with the MacBook (I think). It is still a good idea to register your computer ASAP however :)

scott523
Nov 29, 2006, 01:16 AM
Does anybody with the C2D MacBooks have a noisy mouse button? Whenever I click the mouse button on the lower portion of the huge button, it's a quiet click if you will. However, if I click the mouse on the top portion, it's a noisy click and sometimes there would be some resistance. Anybody?

Jon90
Dec 4, 2006, 03:41 AM
Update :

I have had no luck with Applecare.

I phoned them 27/10/06 and the initial reaction was that it was not covered and must have been my own fault. The adviser gave me his e-mail address so he could have a look at the discussions and photos and get back to me.

After about 8 e-mails to this guy chasing for a response and one month passing since my first notification - > NO RESPONSE

I have not bought Applecare yet - and with this sort of 'care' I am not sure if I will. I also do not want to pay a one off charge to phone to get them to fix a poorly manufactured machine - I though the 90 day free telephone support would be for help on using the thing and not for reporting 1 year warranty issues. It seems ridiculous to me.

Anyway, I am not sure it will get me anywhere but I have now written a letter to Applecare with copies of all my correspondence and hope this may get something moving.

I didnít expect this type of struggle and don't really have the time for it. Its my 1st Apple computer and at this rate it will probably be my last.

Disappointing.... Great OS and Software but poor hardware. :mad:

bernardyap
Feb 23, 2007, 09:22 PM
mine having the same problem on same area!
confirm it is apple hardware defect.

http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01508eu7.jpg

will send to service center on coming monday and let see what they will do

Mattydj
Feb 23, 2007, 09:27 PM
I own a core duo white macbook and the right side of my macbook is beginning to go like the persons second picture. Now I'm very worried that it's going to snap off like his first picture! :(

davidg4781
Feb 23, 2007, 10:28 PM
Wow, not sure why I didn't see this earlier in my search. I have a small crack in the same area of mine. I called Apple and they said it's not covered under warranty. I also took it to the CompUSA (bought it from there) and they said it's not covered under warranty either and wouldn't repair it. It's not as big as y'all's, but it's there. Is this how your's started out??

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/davidg4781/DSCF0006.jpg

DaLurker
Feb 23, 2007, 11:29 PM
Wow... bring a thread back from the dead eh?

This is a common problem it seems. Bring it to Apple and they should replace it for you. Don't take the its not covered under warranty excuse. It's a flawed design on the top case (weak plastic) which is causing this crack.

davidg4781
Feb 23, 2007, 11:33 PM
Great news. And I'm glad someone dug it up, or I would have never known. I'm going to an Apple store soon anyway, my battery died. At least I hope it's my battery, so I can be in and out. I guess it wouldn't matter if they have to work on this for a while. It just sucks that it's about 3 hours away and I'd be without my MacBook for a while.

bernardyap
Feb 24, 2007, 08:33 PM
I own a core duo white macbook and the right side of my macbook is beginning to go like the persons second picture. Now I'm very worried that it's going to snap off like his first picture! :(

yeah, mine start of with the same crack. Be careful when using your macbook, do not slide off your right palm on the palmrest area, it will break easily!

virilep
Mar 6, 2007, 07:23 PM
Hi all,

I have the same problem with mine. I ordered mine the first month that the macbook C2D came out. too bad I don't have an apple store close to me...:(

BlackMax
Mar 6, 2007, 07:41 PM
All of the MBs I've seen with this crack along the front of the wrist pad have been white MBs. Does anyone have a black MB with this crack?

Gabe79
Mar 6, 2007, 09:23 PM
Well lastnight i was using my MB which is Black (to answer BlackMax question) and well I noticed the famous crack but i didn't know how it happend, because i take my computer to school i thought maybe I gave it a lil hit and didn't notice, today I googled it and i ended up here and i saw the pictures and i noticed it's in the same place, i hope i can take it to the Apple Store and get it fixed or else i'll have to pay $150 if i want to buy it and do it myself. This is not fun!!!!

Jwalker9
Mar 7, 2007, 08:14 AM
Saturday night i noticed the crack on my white CoreDuo, week 29 build Macbook. I had been feeling a slight click when pulling my wrist off of the case after typing. I thought maybe the top case was coming slightly separated from the body for a few weeks, but then saw the crack. I dont know how long it has been there because its hard to see unless you pull it away from the rest of the top case. I immediatley called Apple Care since i bought the warranty. They told me that they couldnt take my word for it and that i needed to take it in to have it looked at or they would have to charge me. I hung up and discovered that the crack formed exactly where the magnet touches the case. On Sunday I took it to CompUSA since they have an ASC and he said that he had not seen one like that before, but that there was no abuse apparent on my behalf. He told me to call apple care back and explain that he thought it was a case in with Apple should fix. I called Apple Care back, they hassled me about the ASC not calling and making the report himself, but they sent me a box out, which i recieved in the mail today. I need to back up all my stuff just in case, but i plan to ship it off tomorrow in hopes of getting a new case. I have noticed that this problem only appears on the right side of the case. Does everyone else concur?

virilep
Mar 7, 2007, 06:16 PM
Saturday night i noticed the crack on my white CoreDuo, week 29 build Macbook. I had been feeling a slight click when pulling my wrist off of the case after typing. I thought maybe the top case was coming slightly separated from the body for a few weeks, but then saw the crack. I dont know how long it has been there because its hard to see unless you pull it away from the rest of the top case. I immediatley called Apple Care since i bought the warranty. They told me that they couldnt take my word for it and that i needed to take it in to have it looked at or they would have to charge me. I hung up and discovered that the crack formed exactly where the magnet touches the case. On Sunday I took it to CompUSA since they have an ASC and he said that he had not seen one like that before, but that there was no abuse apparent on my behalf. He told me to call apple care back and explain that he thought it was a case in with Apple should fix. I called Apple Care back, they hassled me about the ASC not calling and making the report himself, but they sent me a box out, which i recieved in the mail today. I need to back up all my stuff just in case, but i plan to ship it off tomorrow in hopes of getting a new case. I have noticed that this problem only appears on the right side of the case. Does everyone else concur?

I concur. a friend of mine at school has the same problem. dammit...

infz
Mar 7, 2007, 06:50 PM
OK, so the problem might just be that the macbook is slamming closed too hard? Do you think it's the people closing their cases harder than they should, or maybe just the magnet is too strong so over time this breaks? Or do you think it has nothing to do with closing the case?

cliffrouse11bas
Mar 7, 2007, 07:14 PM
Sounds like a defect to me. I think Apple needs to rethink it being a user problem.

-::ubermann::-
Mar 7, 2007, 08:02 PM
there is a little crack in the back at the ventilations in mine

mattscott306
Mar 7, 2007, 08:06 PM
No cracks whatsoever. I had my PB for three years, and I never had cracks in that one either.

aureiden
Mar 7, 2007, 09:21 PM
Mine didn't crack yet, but I recently noticed that I can slide my fingernail between the casing and the body of the computer, on the sides and in the front near the trackpad. It's bugging me 'cos I feel like it'll come off easily.

dcposter
Mar 8, 2007, 02:51 PM
My white MacBook is cracked in the same spot...right side of the palm rest. Took it to the Genius Bar and the dude there seemed sorry to say he couldn't fix it. "I'm authorized to fix the discoloration problem, but not this problem," he said. When I got home I called Apple tech support and explained that this doesn't seem to be an isolated problem. They agreed to repair it. C'MON APPLE! Why is it always like pulling teeth to get you guys to fix what is obviously shoddy hardware? Step up!

Jwalker9
Mar 8, 2007, 05:29 PM
Well i shipped mine off to Tennessee today. I hope they replace the top case and dont hassle me about the crack. It will be nice to have white palm rests again. Mine had some nice wear to them. Does anyone know if the touchpad is part of the topcase? It would be awesome if that was replaced too but I doube it will be.

Mattydj
Mar 8, 2007, 07:10 PM
I got my macbook back from a repair center south of where i live today after getting a replacement hard drive fitted. On reading the documentation they had written up about the work they had carried out i noticed under Bezel And Palm Rest condition (yes it had it's own section on the sheet) they had noted the crack on the front of my laptops palm rest (not fixed it mind :rolleyes: )

Now it's just starting to come off. It's snapped off on one side and is starting to come off on the other side. I'm worried theres gonna be no ends of cut wrists if it does come off.

Chile Mac
Mar 8, 2007, 08:40 PM
I followed with much attention this thread, and after many opinions and experiences that I read, I think that the problem can be the excessive stress that have been exposed the computer in the movements inside your bags... I imagine that the computers have a limit to stress it and when that limit is broked, the consequences are the cracks.
I also noticed that the mainly cracks are in the right side and just in the contact point between the magnet with the palm rest area. It's look like the same problem (stress) in all cases plus that maybe the palm rest area are very fragile or at the rest, look like to be a so sensitive part of the case... maybe too much.
Anyway, I bought my MB on last september in NYC and until today, I don't have any problem in this way, and it seems like there aren't cracks to worry. I hope this will follow the same way in the future ;)

Jwalker9
Mar 8, 2007, 09:02 PM
Well i know in my case in particular, that it can't be due to the case that i carry the macbook in. It's a brenthaven with excellent protection all around. I usually have it out on my desk but whenever i take it anywhere, its in the brenthaven. When i took it in for the ASC to look at it, he stated that he thought the crack was probably due to bubbles in the plastic. He said that perhaps during the molding of my topcase there was a bubble in that spot that over time burst through the contact of the lid meeting the palm rest. My opinion? I think it has something to do with the right side of the lid snapping shut before the left side. I'm right handed and when i close the lid, tend to pull it down with my right hand, perhaps causing the impact tonot be evenly distributed on both sides? I really dont know but i do find it very interesting that the problem seems to only occur on the right side...

X5-452
Mar 8, 2007, 09:28 PM
Mine has the same thing. The whole thing kind of snapped off with a loose end facing the trackpad. I used some tape to keep it in place so it looks pretty ghetto. On top of that I have major discoloration issues. It's really annoying, but I can live with it for a short time. The closest Apple store to me is 3 provinces over in Toronto, and the closest service provider is about 4 hours away. I won't be able to get anything fixed until the second week of May when I move. It's aggrevating because I would like my Mac to stay in pristine condition, yet I'm not hating on Apple for anything. Either way, since I bought my Mac back in June of last year, would they still replace the top casing for discoloration if the crack is there? Would they do anything even though I've had these issues for a while and won't be doing anything until close to the year mark?

Chile Mac
Mar 8, 2007, 09:37 PM
He said that perhaps during the molding of my topcase there was a bubble in that spot that over time burst through the contact of the lid meeting the palm rest. My opinion? I think it has something to do with the right side of the lid snapping shut before the left side. I'm right handed and when i close the lid, tend to pull it down with my right hand, perhaps causing the impact tonot be evenly distributed on both sides? I really dont know but i do find it very interesting that the problem seems to only occur on the right side...

Is very interesting that theory of the air bubble... it's a real possibility I think, but since the same problem with pretty similar look alike is so common like it seems to be, is unlikely something like that. If that's the problem, so Apple must find a better machine for their assembly plant :)
About your opinion, yes, maybe you close your screen so hard many times by the right side, so maybe that can provoque the crack. But if that's it, then the right side is too fragile, except if you do by to force very strongly.
I close my screen by the middle and with the less force possible... and no problems until today :)

Mattydj
Mar 9, 2007, 09:32 AM
Update: Cracked bit on my macbook just snapped off and is at the moment taped on :(

And if that bubbling theory is true something must be going horribly wrong with the molding process if its happened this many times.

Jwalker9
Mar 12, 2007, 07:56 PM
Well I got my macbook back today. It seems to be in great shape! i am rally impressed by how fast they repaired it and shipped back. I got a new top case with track pad, a new bezel around the screen (maybe to change out the magnet stoppers). They also cleaned it, charged it and i notice that my keys are much softer/quieter than they were when i sent it in. There is a list of several services they performed but I dont understand many. Anyways, problem fixed and I am very satisfied!:apple:

hansning
Mar 14, 2007, 06:40 PM
I guess I made this thread so I could ask other macbook owners if they have experienced this same problem. Anyone?

same problem. i also have a similar crack on the left front corner, but that one i don't mind so much. this one scratches me, and it's really annoying.

i've already replaced the topcase because of the discolouration, and now this...

Luigi239
Mar 14, 2007, 08:28 PM
Well, Mine isnt cracked, but i can puse the sides and watch/hear them move. Annoying, but not worth getting it fixed.

djinn
Mar 14, 2007, 10:35 PM
I checked my black macbook and didn't didn't notice anything, not yet atleast. Is this something that is happening to all the macbooks? Is there a rev difference yet with the macbooks? I bought mine not even a month ago.

djinn
Mar 15, 2007, 10:11 AM
I guess what could be happening is the open and closing of the case, from that little bevel on the LCD can weaken the plastic on the top of the case. Over time breaking and/or cracking the edge of the wrist pad. very interesting....

prawnballs
Mar 20, 2007, 05:34 PM
Got my Macbook back today having taken it in for the power cable melting (right by the magsafe) exposing the wiring and the crack that has been bugging me for months. The cracked plastic had actually snapped off leaving an ugly hole. When I first noticed the crack (about 4 or 5 months ago) I thought it must have been something I'd done, or the kitten I'd just brought home, so was mad at myself. It was only on searching about the melting power cable did I find out that the cracking was so common too.

I took it to the Genius Bar at the Apple store here in Manchester, UK yesterday. The guy was really helpful and said he could change the top case and bezel under warranty due to the discolouring (which was only minor) and didn't even acknowledge the crack.

Got my Macbook back today and it is looks as good as new! New keyboard, no hole, no discolouring, sticky mouse button no longer sticky and new power cable! Can't complain. Just hope I don't get a repeat of the problems once the warranty runs out.. the guy said if it wasn't in warranty it would've cost me £193.

At least it hasn't caught fire yet.. *touch wood*

faddu01
Mar 22, 2007, 09:18 AM
I have noticed the same problem in my macbook too, which is almost a year old now. One day I noticed a chip on the right side of the mouse pad, and the more I used it, my wrist kept hitting against the chip. Eventually the chip grew bigger and it broke off.

I took it to the apple store in schaumburg, il and the guy at the genius bar told me its not covered under warranty and I would have to pay for it. He told me to just super glue it down. I did that, but it came off again.

My question is, does it depend on who is helping you at the apple store? Is it better to call the Apple care or to go to the apple store?

Jwalker9
Mar 22, 2007, 09:52 AM
My question is, does it depend on who is helping you at the apple store? Is it better to call the Apple care or to go to the apple store?

I think it depends. I called apple care and they said no, they would have to charge me. I went to my local apple tech and he said he thought it should be covered. I called back to apple care, listened to them tell me that they couldnt do it, and as soon as i started complaining, they said we will send you a box for repairs. it was back about 3 days later repaired. The sucky thing is that upon inspection when it returned i noticed to hairline cracks on the bottom back of the case by the vents where heat is dispersed. I think that the heat definitley caused those but until they crack enough to cause separation, i won't bother with it.

j26
Mar 22, 2007, 10:02 AM
I have this problem which happened a few days ago (it's come away already), and I've just noticed a hairline crack on the bottom of the casing. It's not lack of care that's causing it. The MB goes into a padded sleeve and the padded sleeve goes into a padded bag when travelling.

It's really annoying, but there are no Apple Stores in Ireland, so I can't just pop in, and since I'm preparing for exams I can't afford to be without it, even for a few days.

I'm going to have to ring Apple and see if they can do anything :mad:

PDE
Mar 22, 2007, 10:07 AM
I have noticed the same problem in my macbook too, which is almost a year old now. One day I noticed a chip on the right side of the mouse pad, and the more I used it, my wrist kept hitting against the chip. Eventually the chip grew bigger and it broke off.

I took it to the apple store in schaumburg, il and the guy at the genius bar told me its not covered under warranty and I would have to pay for it. He told me to just super glue it down. I did that, but it came off again.

How come all of you accept when Apple tells you that it is not covered? This is a hardware manufacturing fault, not the result of abuse. If this happened to me, I would be complaining through the Better Business Bureau, Consumer Affairs department and whoever I could complain too. I would also talk to my credit card company to see if they can do anything. I would write to Apple and complain until somebody fixed it. You paid for a machine that should not crack in the first year of ownership. No computer should, not even the cheapest emachine! I doubt many PC laptops crack like this within a few months of opening the box. If PC manufacturers produced notebooks that cracked after gentle usage, they wouldn't survive. Ridiculous that we even ask the question whether Apple will cover it under warranty.

faddu01
Mar 24, 2007, 06:22 PM
I called Applecare and they said they would fix it. I thought maybe the store would fix it for me now. I called them and the lady said they wont fix it if its cosmetic damage. Thats what the first guy told me as well. I told him it was not cosmetic because I treat my laptop like its my child and I am sooo careful with it. I think I should go to the one in downtown chicago, where they might have had more cases of this problem.

madmaxmedia
Apr 4, 2007, 03:31 PM
I have a CD white MacBook, just saw the crack on the right side near the mousepad and remembered an old thread here...

The first few times, no one at Apple's going to know that there may be a defect, so I'm not surprised they were telling people that it was likely user error (since it's physical breakage.)

But by now, it seems they've seen enough cases and done enough internal investigation that hopefully they're fixing them.

Fortunately I have many Apple stores nearby, and will take mine in soon. It's not a big deal, but over time I know the edge piece is going to break off.

As others have said, it seems quite likely that the repetitive opening and closing of the LCD gradually stresses the case until it breaks. I know I treat mine very gently, but with those little obtrusions on the LCD, the force is concentrated into a small area.

faddu01
Apr 11, 2007, 08:53 PM
i went to my apple store again last week and asked the man at the genius bar. He said they will fix the problem and it will be covered!! yeahy!!

madmaxmedia
Apr 12, 2007, 12:21 AM
Does anyone know if the replacement shell is stronger or different than the original?

I don't want to send mine in, only to have it happen again 6 months from now. If the problem is relatively frequent, I hope that Apple uses a slightly stronger plastic or something like that...

I don't mind waiting a bit to see what happens, since it's a pretty minor cosmetic defect.

Mattydj
Apr 12, 2007, 04:24 AM
_

Cybergypsy
Apr 12, 2007, 07:48 AM
Had that on my macbook Apple replaced it

Mattydj
Apr 12, 2007, 08:14 AM
_

fr0
Apr 12, 2007, 09:39 PM
I too have the dreaded crack over the IR sensor. I called Apple and they agreed to repair it, but the only problem is I am in the midst of writing a thesis. Not a good time to be without the old blackbook. In any event I noticed that slight pressure over the IR sensor on the right side produces a distinct flex in the plastic that is absent on the left-hand side. My father has a C2D blackbook and I pressed on his in the same spot over the IR sensor and it felt rock solid. It appears that Apple knew about this problem and chose to remedy it. Has anyone with a C2D Macbook had a cracking problem?

fr0

P.S. This is my third blackbook. The first two had some flavor of RSD.

virilep
Apr 15, 2007, 01:52 AM
took the compusa guy 45 minutes. he even gave me the old keyboard top. it's the whole top part. the keyboard and bezzel are one huge part. good times.

iCheese
Apr 19, 2007, 05:41 PM
:mad:

My top casing cracked again, after just a few months. This time however it is along the right edge, instead of near where the wrists would be. I am also having more random shutdowns. Time to bring it in to get fixed again...

lovemymac4sure
Apr 19, 2007, 05:49 PM
I just noticed a problem with my white macbook case, and it isn't discoloring. The two spots on the wrist area, where the two magnet latches make contact with the case when the macbook is closed, have started to seperate into a fine crack that I can seperate with my finger. This really pisses me off, I know Apple will replace the top case after I bring it in to show them, but it is just such a hassle when this shouldn't have happened in the first place :mad:

Nope no problems here!!! Sorry dude...that is unfortunate!!

madmaxmedia
Apr 19, 2007, 06:03 PM
It's great for Apple to repair MacBooks with the cracks. But if they are simply replacing the top shell with an identical piece, there's a good chance you will run into the problem again. (even being as careful as possible, you never know.)

I'm going to wait a few months before taking mine in, and see how things sort out. For now I taped the edge so the plastic sliver doesn't break off, it's no big deal.

the.snitch
Apr 23, 2007, 10:20 PM
Damn it, it's happened to mine now :mad:

Black macbook, core2duo (rev B), always kept it in it's case and never dropped.

Im going to try and get it replaced, and then invest in an invisible shield from shieldzone, hopefully with some clear plastic on the palmrests it will avoid cracking

pwnightmare
Apr 24, 2007, 12:49 AM
My white MB has the same crack as well as several little cracks going in all different directions all the way around the bottom casing. I haven't even taken the thing out of the house! I'm totally pissed.

PDE
Apr 24, 2007, 08:28 AM
Damn it, it's happened to mine now :mad:

Black macbook, core2duo (rev B), always kept it in it's case and never dropped.

Im going to try and get it replaced, and then invest in an invisible shield from shieldzone, hopefully with some clear plastic on the palmrests it will avoid cracking

You may always want to try the MOSHI palmguard. They look great and are quire hard so that the pressure in those areas is definitely redistributed over a much larger space. Having that on, I doubt it will crack again. Also, compared to the marware, it looks really nice and is barely noticeable.

madmaxmedia
Apr 24, 2007, 10:57 AM
You may always want to try the MOSHI palmguard. They look great and are quire hard so that the pressure in those areas is definitely redistributed over a much larger space. Having that on, I doubt it will crack again. Also, compared to the marware, it looks really nice and is barely noticeable.

Thanks for the info. This looks like a pretty good solution, outside of Apple using a different plastic for the upper shell.

HAPHOGMACBOOK
Jun 2, 2007, 10:59 PM
It must be a common defect... I just recently noticed the same problem on my MACBOOK.. less then year old...bottom of keyboard edge just above light.. hair line crack that can be pulled back if you brush your hand against it... love the MACBOOK .. hopefully APPLE will fix. next stop GENIOUS BAR....

.. Update .. I went to apple store today .. genious bar . they replaced entire keyboard with new one in 20 minutes..... no questions asked ....

mpw
Jun 4, 2007, 08:51 AM
Crap! I remember reading this thread when it started last year and being glad there wasn't a problem with my MacBook at the time, but today I've noticed a crack appearing in the same place as a lot of other people at the front of the right palm-rest :mad:

So I'll take it back to my Apple reseller. I'm not too worried as I'm assuming Apple will replace it free of charge, I am a little worried though 'cause in less than a year the MacBook will have had, in order:

1 new optical drive
1 new logic board
1 new battery
1 new logic board
1 new top case (the one it now needs)

...The lip clearly can't take the pressure.
;)

Mord
Jun 4, 2007, 08:55 AM
Yeah, but it's because I dropped it :o.

perezoso
Jun 12, 2007, 07:08 PM
Just a few minutes ago I was going to use my macbook and I quickly placed my wrists on the computer, and I guess somehow I was able to pull my hands back just enough to actually catch on one of the cracks and pull it apart, breaking it. I finally took some pics to show everyone what I mean.

http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=casecrack1tf9.jpg

Wow. That picture looks *exactly* like the crack that recently appeared on the case of my 9 month old MacBook. I called Apple today and they said they will repair it under warranty.

But it's spooky how closely that pic resembles my MacBook's problem.

mytchell1
Jul 27, 2007, 11:57 AM
I've grown weary of this problem, every time I type on my keyboard, my palm snags on the crack on the right hand edge of my macbook. I took it in, it is still under warranty, but they said it was not covered by the warranty, but they could fix it for something like $170! I guess I will try again, hopefully with better luck.

madmaxmedia
Jul 27, 2007, 01:02 PM
Was this at an Apple store? You should print out this thread and bring it with you, that should convince them to do the repair under warranty.

Or call Apple to try to arrange a repair.

I am going to have to do the same thing soon, I have cracks on both sides. I don't even care that much (I taped it with Scotch tape), but this would obviously affect re-sale value down the road.

I've grown weary of this problem, every time I type on my keyboard, my palm snags on the crack on the right hand edge of my macbook. I took it in, it is still under warranty, but they said it was not covered by the warranty, but they could fix it for something like $170! I guess I will try again, hopefully with better luck.

-::ubermann::-
Jul 27, 2007, 01:07 PM
how much would a case replacement would cost?
mine have a very small crack and didnt suffer from discoloration but i want it to be shiny again

CaptainCaveMann
Jul 27, 2007, 01:09 PM
I too have the dreaded crack over the IR sensor. I called Apple and they agreed to repair it, but the only problem is I am in the midst of writing a thesis. Not a good time to be without the old blackbook. In any event I noticed that slight pressure over the IR sensor on the right side produces a distinct flex in the plastic that is absent on the left-hand side. My father has a C2D blackbook and I pressed on his in the same spot over the IR sensor and it felt rock solid. It appears that Apple knew about this problem and chose to remedy it. Has anyone with a C2D Macbook had a cracking problem?

fr0

P.S. This is my third blackbook. The first two had some flavor of RSD.

Anyone know????:confused:

mr goosey
Sep 8, 2007, 11:16 AM
Just had this exact problem and I think this is the explanation. Still, shoddy design that has caused this. To be honest, really regret not getting a Macbook pro now. Really bad discolouration, and now this, on my white macbook :(

Hi all. I do not own a MacBook, though I plan to buy one in the next few weeks. I thought I might know what causes these cracks. I carry my iBook in my backback (it has a laptop compartment), and sometimes I've noticed that the weight of my books causes some stress on the display and body of the machine by squeezing the two components together.

Well, if your MacBooks are being squeezed like that in your laptop cases, perhaps the little ridges on the display that indicate where the magnetic lathces are located are pushing into and cracking the body's plastic.

I don't know if this helps, but after reading this thread, I plan on getting a set of Wildeepz (http://www.radtech.us/Products/Wildeepz.aspx) to help cushion the display more evenly when I get my MacBook.

Just seeing if this is a possible cause-theory and solution to the problem at hand.

crzdmniac
Sep 8, 2007, 12:57 PM
I had this issue with my 2Ghz C2D Macbook, that's when everything started going downhill... I didn't have a problem for 6 months until that happened. BTW, I never dropped it, and I do think it's fairly common. Just search for "crackbook" on flickr and you'll see what I mean!

nadiabizniz
Sep 28, 2007, 12:36 PM
I too have found the cracks appearing in my macbook (which
I have owned for about 10 months).

I have yet to inquire as to whether it is covered under the
extended warranty. Given the experiences of previous posters,
I have no idea what to expect.

However, if it's not covered, this will have been my first and last
mac computer. I could bitch and moan about the crack with Apple,
but its not worth the grief.
I'll just take my money somewhere else.

Not that I expect better treatment from other vendors. ;-)

Nadia

JamesWvr
Oct 2, 2007, 01:04 PM
Wow. That picture looks *exactly* like the crack that recently appeared on the case of my 9 month old MacBook. I called Apple today and they said they will repair it under warranty.

But it's spooky how closely that pic resembles my MacBook's problem.

Agreed, my palm rest is cracking in the EXACT same spot, but thankfully it hasn't broken off yet.

I had my top casing replaced this past February because I was having the discoloration, so now it looks like I'll get have it replaced again!

peapody
Oct 25, 2007, 09:47 AM
i have the crack, and it is going to be shipped to apple today to replace the topcase of my blackbook. anyone have any idea how long repairs will take? i really need my computer :(...

aside from that just getting my blackbook ready for leopard...after this repair, and a harddrive upgrade to 250gb, I think i will have my ideal computer!

deepy
Nov 4, 2007, 11:43 AM
This has happened to my macbook just above the sleep light on the right hand side palm rest. what crap!! my macbooks just a couple of months over a year old and i dont have applecare. what do i do? i'm going to take it to show a genius this week but what are my chances?

Surely this is classed as an inherant fault in the item and means it is not of merchantable quality at the time of sale if such an issue exists. i'm in the UK. does that mean that under the sales of goods acts i can demand a repair or replacement even though its not under warranty? i know apple class cracked plastic not as a fault covered by the warranty BUT its obviously not right to sell an item that will crack after a year of usage automatically.

mpw
Nov 4, 2007, 02:46 PM
...<CrackBook>...

Mine's gone three times the same way, and while the local re-seller actually keeps the parts in stock and didn't bat an eyelid either time I took it to them Apple refuse to admit they've seen it as a reoccurring problem, but then they are twunts so what yer gonna do?!

talazem
Nov 4, 2007, 04:34 PM
I'm in the UK, a local reseller/authorised repair place fixed my same problem for me in a couple of days, no questions asked, still under AppleCare. They said they'd seen lots of this problem.

deepy
Nov 9, 2007, 06:00 PM
i still havent got around to taking my macbook to apple yet. i've got no applecare but surely they cant refuse to fix it just because they refuse to acknowledge the problem as an actual reoccuring especially when it happens to so many people. if they deny me a repair i'll be taking it as far as i can.

deepy
Nov 22, 2007, 06:08 AM
took my macbook to apple. spoke to a couple of genius' but they refused to do anything without me payin for it. asked to speak to a manager and he straight away took my laptop n said he'd get the topcase replaced for free. no trouble at all. :D my first customer service experience with apple and it was excellent :)

madmaxmedia
Dec 18, 2007, 04:07 PM
I took my MacBook (under warranty) in for cracked casing and intermittent Bluetooth. I started to explain about how I took good care of my MacBook and all, the Genius said not to worry about it. I think he was familiar with the problem.

heatmiser
Dec 18, 2007, 04:18 PM
Just read the entire thread after someone bumped it. This is absolutely ridiculous. These machines are like ticking, defective time bombs.

Mal
Dec 18, 2007, 04:45 PM
Just recently had my case crack too, haven't had a chance to check it with the genius bar.

Trick is, I put on of the MacStyles Pads on there, and if they replace that case section, I would lose my Pad. Any idea if Apple would pay for a replacement, or if MacStyles would be willing to replace it if I begged?

jW

adamnotadam
Dec 18, 2007, 05:06 PM
After having my 60gb hd crash and die the other day I decided it's time to get that annoying crack fixed. My 4th mac and nothing but troubles between this one and my old iBook. I miss my iMac G3 special edition :(

deepy
Dec 23, 2007, 07:22 PM
oh yeh also wanted to say..Apple not only replaced my topcase but also also the keyboard, trackpad and button.

mpw
Dec 23, 2007, 07:26 PM
oh yeh also wanted to say..Apple not only replaced my topcase but also also the keyboard, trackpad and button.
Yeah they've done that with both of my replacements too, I think it's one part/part number.

qsoundrich
Jan 5, 2008, 02:24 PM
I've discussed this problem with a couple of "Geniuses" but it hasn't resulted in anything other than a referral to the local mac fixit shop. I guess I need to just go in and be more forceful. Ironically I'm planning to sell this one to buy a Santa Rosa/November '07 model, even though I think the case construction is utter crap compared to my old iBook. The Pro seems to be somewhat better made, but it seems silly to pay so much for something that's only marginally quicker for my needs.

Oh yeah by the way I don't have Applecare and I've had it for more than a year. One of the guys was pretty nice like trying to get me to "claim" I've had it less than a year but I figured they would look it up, so I didn't press the issue.

deepy
Jan 8, 2008, 03:00 PM
I've discussed this problem with a couple of "Geniuses" but it hasn't resulted in anything other than a referral to the local mac fixit shop. I guess I need to just go in and be more forceful. Ironically I'm planning to sell this one to buy a Santa Rosa/November '07 model, even though I think the case construction is utter crap compared to my old iBook. The Pro seems to be somewhat better made, but it seems silly to pay so much for something that's only marginally quicker for my needs.

Oh yeah by the way I don't have Applecare and I've had it for more than a year. One of the guys was pretty nice like trying to get me to "claim" I've had it less than a year but I figured they would look it up, so I didn't press the issue.

Yeh just be more forecful. thats what i did. i'd had mine for longer than a year and no applecare. ask to speak to a manager.

crackedmac
Jan 10, 2008, 12:21 PM
I purchased my MacBook in Sept. 07 at the Mac Store in Salem, OR.

Within 4 weeks, the first crack had formed under where the right palm rests, but right along the edge, just as in others' pix.

I took it back to the Mac Store, they said they had never heard of the problem, and asked if I'd dropped my computer.

I told them no, and I wanted it fixed. They said that for $100 they would download my info to keep when it's away being worked on, but they didn't know if the fix was covered under warrant.

I said that's bs. I took my MacBook home (40 mile roundtrip) to download it myself.

In the meantime, I called a REAL Apple Store (in Tualatin, 80 miles roundtrip) and the woman there said to bring it in and they would get it fixed, even though I hadn't purchased it there.

I'll be going up soon - in the meantime the case has split the same way on the left side.

I'm really glad I found this forum - I'll print out other examples on this forum, and take them along with me.

Apple (and the Mac Store in Salem, for that matter) SHOULD replace my $1200 computer, as far as I'm concerned, but I'm a realist.

Any recent MacBook purchasers had this problem?

I'll never again purchase a Mac from a Mac Store, only a genuine Apple Store for me!!

daneoni
Jan 10, 2008, 12:43 PM
a possible explanation would be tht when the op closes/opens his notebook the lid exerts some kind of force on the top case edge which eventually cracks under repeated pressure

crackedmac
Jan 10, 2008, 12:54 PM
daneoni - that's a mechanical explanation of what is breaking what

but, this is my third macbook, and I've never had this problem before,

This is not operator error.

This is a defect in design and/or workmanship.

We all need new computers that have had the design/workman ship defect corrected.

If Apple just replaces the broken part with an identical part, it will break again.

then, Apple will replace it again, until the warranties of all the defective macbooks run out.

Then, the problem is solved for Apple, and we're are all left with broken macbooks!!

Billy Bob
Jan 10, 2008, 02:17 PM
I purchased my MacBook in Sept. 07 at the Mac Store in Salem, OR.

Within 4 weeks, the first crack had formed under where the right palm rests, but right along the edge, just as in others' pix.

I took it back to the Mac Store, they said they had never heard of the problem, and asked if I'd dropped my computer.

I told them no, and I wanted it fixed. They said that for $100 they would download my info to keep when it's away being worked on, but they didn't know if the fix was covered under warrant.

I said that's bs. I took my MacBook home (40 mile roundtrip) to download it myself.

In the meantime, I called a REAL Apple Store (in Tualatin, 80 miles roundtrip) and the woman there said to bring it in and they would get it fixed, even though I hadn't purchased it there.

I'll be going up soon - in the meantime the case has split the same way on the left side.

I'm really glad I found this forum - I'll print out other examples on this forum, and take them along with me.

Apple (and the Mac Store in Salem, for that matter) SHOULD replace my $1200 computer, as far as I'm concerned, but I'm a realist.

Any recent MacBook purchasers had this problem?

I'll never again purchase a Mac from a Mac Store, only a genuine Apple Store for me!!

yes I have had the same issue with my macbook twice!!! now. Both times have been on the right side, just as yours. I am convinced that every macbook if used regularly enough will develope the same issue.

madmaxmedia
Jan 10, 2008, 02:38 PM
I am hoping that the replacement part is made from stronger or less brittle material.

I did notice that the new top case felt a bit differently than the old one.

mpw
Jan 10, 2008, 03:44 PM
I am hoping that the replacement part is made from stronger or less brittle material...
If it is Apple are denying it. I queried whether the design had been amended when I had mine fixed the second time and they were adamant that there was no problem so the design hadn't changed. Apple also claimed they'd never seen the problem before, despite the local store being so familiar with it they didn't raise an eye-lid when I called in and had the parts in stock for this very reason.

madmaxmedia
Jan 10, 2008, 04:07 PM
If it is Apple are denying it. I queried whether the design had been amended when I had mine fixed the second time and they were adamant that there was no problem so the design hadn't changed. Apple also claimed they'd never seen the problem before, despite the local store being so familiar with it they didn't raise an eye-lid when I called in and had the parts in stock for this very reason.

I think it's possible the material was changed, but that they are not 'fessing up to it. It's happened enough that many Apple stores recognize the problem when they see it.

It's not like it should cost all that much to change to a different material, probably the same cost. What they don't want is to publicize it, so everyone with a MacBook wants to replace their topcase, even if they never had the problem. My guess is that the overall rate of this problem is low (if still significant.)

I guess I'll know in 6 to 12 months... ;)

crackedmac
Jan 10, 2008, 07:00 PM
madmax-

see the poll above...

one out of three macbook owners state that they've had this identical defect, and from reading the thread many have had it more than once!

and this is just a very small sampling

if this was an auto defect, it would be one of the biggest recalls of all time!

Billy Bob
Jan 11, 2008, 04:04 AM
madmax-

see the poll above...

one out of three macbook owners state that they've had this identical defect, and from reading the thread many have had it more than once!

and this is just a very small sampling

if this was an auto defect, it would be one of the biggest recalls of all time!

The sad thing is, that it's a shocking problem, that's going to effect everyone in time. And so far mac has not even admited that this is even a problem even though they have had to replace thousands of top cases. Even from the random sample that this pole has given us, it is more than obvious that this is more than a minor problem> hell it's more than a major problem, it's a problem of epic proportions. If a company can't make a casing that can stand up the weight of some one's hands I'm seriously worried.

Mal
Jan 11, 2008, 07:23 AM
You know, if this was even a random sampling of MacBook owners, I might be worried, but the statistics don't add up. See, the problem is that more people who have had problems with the casing on their MacBook will open and read this thread, hence the high numbers in the poll. Those who don't either don't read this, or may not even come here at all. Common problem with all web-based polling, pretty much.

On that note, my casing has cracked in the same way, but I have a MacStyles MacPad on there, so I'm going to go talk to the Apple Store and see if they can work with me, but I'll probably end up just living with it or gluing it back into place.

jW

sunfast
Jan 11, 2008, 07:32 AM
My casing has cracked on the right hand side and the chip has fallen off. The left hand side is starting to crack too.

Sadly my MB is nearly 2 years old (one of the first ones) so Apple won't be giving me a new one. I'll buy a new top case at some point and fit it which will also solve my yellowing problem.

Co-incidentaly - I metioned the yellowing to a genius when I was in having my battery replaced (the problems with this mb....) and he suggested I clean it - said there was nothign they could do

madmaxmedia
Jan 11, 2008, 11:32 AM
The sad thing is, that it's a shocking problem, that's going to effect everyone in time. And so far mac has not even admited that this is even a problem even though they have had to replace thousands of top cases. Even from the random sample that this pole has given us, it is more than obvious that this is more than a minor problem> hell it's more than a major problem, it's a problem of epic proportions. If a company can't make a casing that can stand up the weight of some one's hands I'm seriously worried.

As Mal said, we really don't have a good impression of how many affected owners are out there.

Just to clarify- the cracks don't happen because of the weight of your hands, the crack occurs because of the ridges above the screen that contact the top case when shut the lid. The force of impact is small, but is concentrated at where the ridges contact the top case. The designers didn't properly take into account the cumulative effect of shutting the lid hundreds/thousands of times.

I would strongly suspect that Apple has modified the top case specs at some point, to save money on having to do these replacements. They may not announce it, but if it has happened enough times they will notice it and use a some what different grade of plastic. Warranty repair costs add up, the MacBook is not a super high-margin product.

elcid
Jan 11, 2008, 11:42 AM
Like others mine cracked and they replaced everything that is associated with the top plate. As I see it I don't really mind it happening, I had to sacrifice my comp for 25 hours, no hassle, and I got almost a brand new computer out of the deal.

Something did get jacked up with the way they put it back in and now CDs dont really go in too well, but oh well.

Mattydj
Jan 11, 2008, 01:03 PM
I had my top case replaced in November 07 and it cracked again just after Christmas. This is starting to bug me now. :mad:
When it cracked the first time they replaced it under "discoloration" so I'm not really sure if they're going to be willing to replace it again.

To be honest for me it's not a case of what if it breaks anymore. Just a matter of when. The right of my top case is cracked and the left won't be far behind at this rate. The magnetic strips on the screen is leaving grooves on the case.

madmaxmedia
Jan 11, 2008, 01:08 PM
I had my top case replaced in November 07 and it cracked again just after Christmas. This is starting to bug me now. :mad:
When it cracked the first time they replaced it under "discoloration" so I'm not really sure if they're going to be willing to replace it again.

So much for my theory of a new plastic...

Is your MB still under warranty? If so, I imagine they should go ahead and do it.

Mattydj
Jan 11, 2008, 01:11 PM
So much for my theory of a new plastic...

Is your MB still under warranty? If so, I imagine they should go ahead and do it.

Yeh it's under Applecare. I'll give them a ring when i feel i can spare my laptop for a while.

Richdmoore
Jan 11, 2008, 07:48 PM
Well, I just discovered the same thing on my Macbook, like an idiot I superglued the part back so it didn't chip off (it was hanging loose, I didn't want it to come off during my business trip this week.) I didn't even think of the applecare warranty I purchased with the computer. (August 07 purchase)

Has anyone else done this? Did apple refuse or agree to replace the case?

Anyway, I will bring the computer back to the apple store after next week, when I get home, is there any reference number or other official documentation I can point the apple store to so I can get this fixed under warranty?

Mattydj
Jan 11, 2008, 11:39 PM
_

crackedmac
Jan 12, 2008, 12:52 PM
madmax wrote, "Just to clarify- the cracks don't happen because of the weight of your hands, the crack occurs because of the ridges above the screen that contact the top case when shut the lid. The force of impact is small, but is concentrated at where the ridges contact the top case.

The designers didn't properly take into account the cumulative effect of shutting the lid hundreds/thousands of times."

That's it, Max - thanks for the precise description, and I believe, the cause of the cracks.

But, the first crack appeared on my macbook only SIX WEEKS after I purchased it, so the cumulative effect theory was minor in my case.

Here's who to email to start publicizing the defect to the general public, and to let Apple know they can no longer ignore us:

news-tips@nytimes.com

Be sure and reference this forum.

elcid
Jan 12, 2008, 02:06 PM
Every piece of equipment has a design flaw. I dont see how calling the new york times is going to fix it. Besides, Apple covers it under warranty, in their store, and they have it back to you in a day or two. Sure there is a problem but the NY times is never going to write an article over something that is pretty trivial. The MB has been out for awhile with this same problem, its nothing new.

crackedmac
Jan 12, 2008, 06:11 PM
elcid - you don't seem to be too put out... so don't email NYTimes

I am and I recommend to anyone that is - do email them

A design flaw in one of Apple major sellers would be a big story to a lot of people

btw - MB owners are getting their macs back, and having to send them in AGAIN!!!!

mpw
Jan 12, 2008, 09:30 PM
...Besides, Apple covers it under warranty, in their store, and they have it back to you in a day or two...
But mines been replaced twice under warranty, and now it's out of warranty so next time it won't be covered:mad:

joeyd929
Jan 13, 2008, 05:38 PM

HI. I just joined the forum. I purchased a macbook last week. So far no cracks but I can see a line where the magnets touch, will keep an eye on it.

me_94501
Jan 13, 2008, 10:55 PM
My MacBook exhibited the crack only a few months after I bought it. Apple replaced the casing since it was discolored. With this one, I made a couple "pads" out of Scotch tape to absorb the shock of the magnets (about 4 layers of tape). It's not pretty, but I'd rather have this than cracks. So far it's been pretty effective.

crackedmac
Jan 14, 2008, 04:04 PM
In addition to this forum, here's a few of the other websites (forums) discussing the maccrack problem:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/01/revenge-of-the-crackbook/#comments

http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook#Cracking_Cases

http://www.flickr.com/groups/crackedmacbook/

http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and-macbook/313408/white-macbook-crack-anyone-else/#post3170382

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=588652&start=0&tstart=0

http://babygotmac.com/a/macbook-case-cracks-on-wristpad/

http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and-macbook/313408/white-macbook-crack-anyone-else/

This is a massive problem.

Richdmoore
Jan 18, 2008, 07:14 PM
Well, I have an appointment set up Sunday for this cracking problem (it's become a chip now, as the plastic broke off and is missing.) Hopefully this is the only time this occurs, and apple chooses to cover it under applecare.

joeyd929
Jan 19, 2008, 03:38 PM
Well, I have an appointment set up Sunday for this cracking problem (it's become a chip now, as the plastic broke off and is missing.) Hopefully this is the only time this occurs, and apple chooses to cover it under applecare.

Can you post some pics of the cracks. I took my new macbook (2 weeks old) and took about 30 pics of ALL the sides/edges/back/bottom near writing so I can have some proof of it looking normal.

How long did you have your mac until it cracked?

djinn
Jan 19, 2008, 03:41 PM
This case cracking is interesting cause my wifes Black Macbook hasn't show any signs of cracks *knocks on wood*. She doesn't transport it anywhere with her.

I've been thinking about going and getting a MB for work but if the cracking is an issue and Apple is being a PITA, then eek.

crackedmac
Jan 20, 2008, 02:53 PM
Can you post some pics of the cracks. I took my new macbook (2 weeks old) and took about 30 pics of ALL the sides/edges/back/bottom near writing so I can have some proof of it looking normal.

How long did you have your mac until it cracked?

Here's a good picture.

I've contacted a major newspaper in California, with information about the defect.

Within 2 days, I got an email back, asking me for my phone number, which I just sent to the tech reporter who contacted me.

crackedmac
Jan 20, 2008, 02:54 PM
here's the picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mismisimos/2186491996/in/pool-crackedmacbook

Richdmoore
Jan 20, 2008, 08:03 PM
Ok, I took the macbook to the genius bar today, it was a very busy Sunday at 11 am. I had 2 people in front of me, the first one had a flat battery that they wouldn't take under warranty (they said that even with applecare the batteries are only covered for one year, it was just worn out, they compared it to replacing tires on a car.) While she was getting a new battery the genius noticed a crack in the macbook topcase, and repaired that under warranty. The next guy in line had a crack and piece coming up exactly where mine was (mine had actually broken off last week).

For my computer, they just looked up the serial number and told me that it would be fixed in one hour, and sure enough I came back an hour later and they replaced the topcase.

I was expecting to be without the computer for a few days, so I was surprised that they repair was so fast, I wonder how many of them they have been doing lately.....

My Macintosh was purchased from an apple store in Tigard, OR in June, 2007, and travels with me 26 weeks out of the year. I did not take a picture, but it looked just like all of the other ones posted online.

seany06
Jan 21, 2008, 08:53 AM
I too have the same problem and actually made a reservation to talk to a genius. It seems, however, that there are mixed results with everyone, half get theirs fixed, the other half are turned down. Now my warranty is still valid for like 5 days so that's one advantage for me, I'm just keeping my fingers tied that they replace my top. If they tell me that it's not covered under warranty I'm just going to complain that it's a flaw on the company's part.

crackedmac
Jan 21, 2008, 09:45 AM
I too have the same problem and actually made a reservation to talk to a genius. It seems, however, that there are mixed results with everyone, half get theirs fixed, the other half are turned down. Now my warranty is still valid for like 5 days so that's one advantage for me, I'm just keeping my fingers tied that they replace my top. If they tell me that it's not covered under warranty I'm just going to complain that it's a flaw on the company's part.

Can you print out pix, etc. from this website, and others listed above?

riscy
Jan 21, 2008, 10:11 AM
That is hard to believe - what are Apple at?? There are two Stores selling nought but Apple (that I know of) here in Kazakhstan. At least I can pop in and chat to the guys there if I have a problem.

From looking at the pics I would guess that the user is picking the Mac up by that side to move/carry it and (unintentionally) putting some extra pressure on that side which forces the magnetic part to break the coating - just a guess? I know when I pick mine up I hold it tight, but then I move my hand under it and carry it in my palm.

BTW, I come from Nor'n Ir'n originally :)

It's really annoying, but there are no Apple Stores in Ireland, so I can't just pop in, and since I'm preparing for exams I can't afford to be without it, even for a few days.

joeyd929
Jan 21, 2008, 10:16 AM
Maybe they repaired the top cover fast because they are getting good at it from having to do so many lately?

madmaxmedia
Jan 21, 2008, 11:12 AM
From looking at the pics I would guess that the user is picking the Mac up by that side to move/carry it and (unintentionally) putting some extra pressure on that side which forces the magnetic part to break the coating - just a guess? I know when I pick mine up I hold it tight, but then I move my hand under it and carry it in my palm.

Actually, I try to hold at the hinge side whenever possible, it just seemed safer that way (less flex). And it still happened to me.

I don't travel too much with my MacBook either. I do take it to work and then home each day, but don't handle it much beyond that. Hopefully my new top case will hold up.

Macula
Jan 21, 2008, 11:58 AM
Maybe they repaired the top cover fast because they are getting good at it from having to do so many lately?

Good point! Practice makes perfect.

dougnewman
Jan 22, 2008, 09:22 PM
Mine cracked last week. Right side, under the magnet. White MacBook (Late 2006).

It's going to the Apple Store day after tomorrow. Still under warranty, thankfully...

djinn
Jan 22, 2008, 10:34 PM
Mine cracked last week. Right side, under the magnet. White MacBook (Late 2006).

It's going to the Apple Store day after tomorrow. Still under warranty, thankfully...

Can you let us know how Apple treats you and how long it took to get it fixed?

seany06
Jan 23, 2008, 11:18 AM
When I went in, the guy at the bar looked at it, said they see this problem often, and then told me to sign a piece of paper and come back the next day. He called less than 24 hours later and my macbook was good as new.

Worked out great, better than I expected. :)

djinn
Jan 23, 2008, 11:20 AM
When I went in, the guy at the bar looked at it, said they see this problem often, and then told me to sign a piece of paper and come back the next day. He called less than 24 hours later and my macbook was good as new.

Worked out great, better than I expected. :)

I'm glad they are admitting to it. When I went in there to purchase my wifes macbook they all acted as if I made something up. Then again, it was sales person vs genius bar tech.

ikondave
Feb 8, 2008, 09:17 PM
My Mac Crack happened within the first six months that I owned my MacBook. Unfortunately, I was seriously ill for at least another six months and am now well out of warranty. I'm going to go to my local Apple Store and see what they'll be willing to do. Honestly, this hasn't been the best Apple product I have ever known. I hate the keyboard and I own a rickety little LifeBook B3010D that handles wifi much more reliably. Too bad.:(

crackedmac
Feb 9, 2008, 11:20 AM
ikondave:

printout this thread and as many other of these threads as you can and take them with you....

this is a defective product! good luck, and let us know how it goes.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/01/r...book/#comments

http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/ind...Cracking_Cases

http://www.flickr.com/groups/crackedmacbook/

http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and...e/#post3170382

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0

http://babygotmac.com/a/macbook-case...s-on-wristpad/

http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and...k-anyone-else/

Mackan
Feb 9, 2008, 12:19 PM
This is such an obvious design flaw. But what about places where there are no Apple Stores? If you buy your MacBook from an Apple reseller, we can expect nothing but trouble... the standard sales person in a reseller store is most likely gonna say that he has never seen this cracking before, and that you caused the crack, and that AppleCare doesn't cover it... and there you go... fooled to pay premium for something literally falling apart, and accused of lying. Well, it is bound to happen at some places, right?

madmaxmedia
Feb 9, 2008, 05:34 PM
My Mac Crack happened within the first six months that I owned my MacBook. Unfortunately, I was seriously ill for at least another six months and am now well out of warranty. I'm going to go to my local Apple Store and see what they'll be willing to do. Honestly, this hasn't been the best Apple product I have ever known. I hate the keyboard and I own a rickety little LifeBook B3010D that handles wifi much more reliably. Too bad.:(

I guess at least it's better that you're well and your MacBook isn't, rather than vice versa...

Good luck, like the other poster said print out the threads and take them with you. And if that doesn't work, call up Apple and try that.

This is such an obvious design flaw. But what about places where there are no Apple Stores? If you buy your MacBook from an Apple reseller, we can expect nothing but trouble... the standard sales person in a reseller store is most likely gonna say that he has never seen this cracking before, and that you caused the crack, and that AppleCare doesn't cover it... and there you go... fooled to pay premium for something literally falling apart, and accused of lying. Well, it is bound to happen at some places, right?

If you are under warranty, you should be able to call up Apple right? (at least in the USA.) I know it can get dicey overseas though, depending on who is doing the servicing...

leftfoot
Feb 9, 2008, 05:39 PM
My blackbook has that same problem.

Hence why I replaced it with a MBP.

I3eXa
Feb 13, 2008, 04:57 PM
Like everyone i have the same problem. a crack all the way across the bottom where the lcd connects to the casing. I live in kauai, hawaii and the nearest apple store is in honolulu :( what can I do????

madmaxmedia
Feb 13, 2008, 06:09 PM
Like everyone i have the same problem. a crack all the way across the bottom where the lcd connects to the casing. I live in kauai, hawaii and the nearest apple store is in honolulu :( what can I do????

Is it still under warranty? If so, you should be able to call Applecare and arrange a repair that way-

leftfoot
Feb 13, 2008, 08:41 PM
Here are all the flaws with my MB.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2339/2262009396_866af5b577.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2092/2262009264_871cfff4aa.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2103/2261216527_3d10fbb27f.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2146/2261216385_b0d0e0534e.jpg?v=0

zelet
Feb 13, 2008, 09:41 PM
Have these flaws been fixed with Macbooks that have been purchased lately? I just bought one today and now I'm freaking out that its going to be a piece of crap.

I3eXa
Feb 13, 2008, 10:29 PM
Is it still under warranty? If so, you should be able to call Applecare and arrange a repair that way-

I bought it from pcconnection.com last July so I assume its still under warranty. I just noticed it about 2 weeks ago. Guess I gotta call Applecare then, thanks.

Here's a pic of it by the way. This looking at the back side by the battery of the bottom of the macbook...if that makes sense.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/I3eXa/th_IMG_0157.jpg (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/I3eXa/IMG_0157.jpg)

dubels
Feb 13, 2008, 11:01 PM
This really sucks. Mine is out of warranty (CD MB) and it has both the discoloration problem and the crack. Has anyone had theirs replaced outside of the one year warranty? I was told at one Emeryvile Apple Store (NorCalifornia) that since the discoloration was a common problem that it would be replaced outside of the warranty. But when I went to the Glendale Apple Store (SoCalifornia) I was told that it would not be replaced. The only reason I did not leave my macbook at the Emeryvile store when they offered was because I was leaving for SoCal the next day and they said it could take as little as a day or as long as a week to get it repaired. Since I am coming back to Northern California this weekend I am going to try and get it replaced. BTW The only reason I didn't have the discoloration replaced under warranty was because I am a college student and they were quoting me at a two week turn around because they didn't have the parts in stock.

ikondave
Feb 14, 2008, 11:12 PM
Here are all the flaws with my MB.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2339/2262009396_866af5b577.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2092/2262009264_871cfff4aa.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2103/2261216527_3d10fbb27f.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2146/2261216385_b0d0e0534e.jpg?v=0

That's the exact same way mine cracked. It's very discouraging to see this kind of flaw in so many of the MBs. I know two other people who are having casing/housing problems also.

72hFY
Mar 8, 2008, 10:58 PM
I had a similar problem. My MacBook case cracked on the right hand side where the magnetic latch meets the case. The crack was exactly the size of the small spacer or rib on the lid. It was nothing compared to some of the cracks I've seen here.

I took it in today, roughly a week before my 1 year warranty was to expire. I showed the genius my MacBook, gave him a very short explanation about it not being my fault and he he immediately said they would replace the top case. He verified it was still under warranty, had me fill out the work authorization and in about 2 hours my MacBook was as good as new at no cost to me.

It the work authorization Apple called the replacement part "Item # 922-7885 Housing, Top Case with Keyboard, US."

This problem must be relatively prevalent because the genius barely looked at it before telling me that it would be fixed.

Emilygal
Jun 23, 2008, 12:49 AM
...and it started only 1 month after I bought it! I hadnt dropped it - after making a mess of my ibook g4 through carelessness and clutziness Ive been determined to protect this one properly - it hasnt really left my desk and when I moved house it was in a sleeve and laptop bag.

The cracks were hairline on the edges of the laptop - either side of the trackpad - where i rest my wrists when typing. As a result those little slivers of plastic have snapped off leaving very thin gaps - no doubt exposing the inner workings to the elements.

Im a bit cheesed off as I had hoped mac had improved the durability of their laptops since the G4 - for which (before I gave up) - I had to buy about 5 different chargers for due to the cable bending and cracking too much. That model was also quick to discolor - for some reason going a little pink-ish on the chargers etc.

Anyway - for this - like others in this forum - Ill seek out repair under warranty.

I love the style and ease of mac OS and design but when it comes to durability I may just go with a PC next time...:(

theflyonthewall
Jul 28, 2008, 05:39 AM
like kenturamon...i too seen a peeling off , of the casing..nearer to the right corner of the casing. do the folks at apple do anything about it in terms of replacing it which is what ill most likely do by going into a store to find out...if not...it makes it look mighty shoddy and...all for the care ive been taking all this time. crazy when u suddenly see bits peel off after being careful esp.
I have a white macbook. I got it Nov 2006. Its a refurbished one, but reading about those who have gotten brand new ones..id say this isnt a differentiating factor at all. can one use superglue in miniscule amounts to bond the thin edge peeling out ...- refer to kenturmons pics...any suggestions folks ?any idea what they charge to get a new case...which no doubt in time with proper care will crack too:) ?

madmaxmedia
Jul 28, 2008, 12:14 PM
BEFORE doing anything- print out this entire thread and take it and your MB to an Apple Store. They may decide to repair it for you. IIRC others have been able to get this particular repair out-of-warranty, although it will depend on the particular Genius or manager you talk too. That's why printing this thread out might help, it is a very common problem and obviously is a design defect with the MB.

like kenturamon...i too seen a peeling off , of the casing..nearer to the right corner of the casing. do the folks at apple do anything about it in terms of replacing it which is what ill most likely do by going into a store to find out...if not...it makes it look mighty shoddy and...all for the care ive been taking all this time. crazy when u suddenly see bits peel off after being careful esp.
I have a white macbook. I got it Nov 2006. Its a refurbished one, but reading about those who have gotten brand new ones..id say this isnt a differentiating factor at all. can one use superglue in miniscule amounts to bond the thin edge peeling out ...- refer to kenturmons pics...any suggestions folks ?any idea what they charge to get a new case...which no doubt in time with proper care will crack too:) ?