PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Movies... and New Media Device?

Pages : [1] 2

hyperpasta
Sep 4, 2006, 03:10 PM
Although the semi-official word out of Apple Americas is that invitations to the event have "not been sent" out, a seemingly inadvertent leak out of Apple Europe last week pinned the affair for Tuesday, September 12. It will be hosted by Jobs in a yet-to-be disclosed California location and beamed via satellite throughout the world.

Jobs will have much to talk about during the event, sources familiar with the chief executive's plans have said, including new iMacs and a much-anticipated update to the iPod nano. But the real push, they say, will be tied to the big screen.

Read on and be wowed:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2016

iGary
Sep 4, 2006, 03:11 PM
Holiday season fast approaching...there's no way they will enter shopping season without a new iPod lineup. Period.

If they do, I'm dumping my stock.:p

And Appleinsider is sandbagging - hedging their bets that at least a portion of what they are reporting is true.

spicyapple
Sep 4, 2006, 03:12 PM
One more thing... iPod video projector!!! :)

hyperpasta
Sep 4, 2006, 03:13 PM
One more thing... iPod video projector!!! :)

Haha. Actually, it says its probably a new AirPort Express.

technicolor
Sep 4, 2006, 03:14 PM
All I know is, I will be buying whatever it is they have for sale.

I want one of each:D

mterlouw
Sep 4, 2006, 03:25 PM
I think it is the highly anticipated iToilet with universal iPod dock and count 'em four AppleTalk ports.

Dont Hurt Me
Sep 4, 2006, 03:30 PM
Business channel has had a lot of talk about a Apple Pod video phone but I would rather see a Cube redo. How about Cube squared.

Eraserhead
Sep 4, 2006, 03:30 PM
Haha. Actually, it says its probably a new AirPort Express.

It doesn't seem Apple's style to make wireless n hardware when there is no standard yet, I would think they would make a Media Center Mac, possibly with a built in iPod dock, maybe adding DivX and XVid (or just sticking VLC on the damn thing).

Sobering
Sep 4, 2006, 03:32 PM
New iMacs? Are you freakin kidding me? I just bought a damn iMac and now there is already new ones! Pffff...

GoCubsGo
Sep 4, 2006, 03:34 PM
New iMacs? Are you freakin kidding me? I just bought a damn iMac and now there is already new ones! Pffff...
Welcome to the world of technology!

Sobering
Sep 4, 2006, 03:35 PM
Unless it's just the 23" iMac I have been hearing about, then it's ok. But if it's a totally new iMac that'll fire me off pretty good.

poppe
Sep 4, 2006, 03:36 PM
It doesn't seem Apple's style to make wireless n hardware when there is no standard yet, I would think they would make a Media Center Mac, possibly with a built in iPod dock, maybe adding DivX and XVid (or just sticking VLC on the damn thing).

It might not mean a using the Wireless N standard but using somethign completely different. Like the Airport Express is a Hub to recieve special videos that are coded specifically for it to make downloading a movie quickly, and to also be able to stream movies/tunes much faster and easier to your home telivision.

Perhaps you could hook up an Airport Express to a TV and then run OS X right through Airport controlling everything

twoodcc
Sep 4, 2006, 04:03 PM
can't wait til the 12th!!

Peace
Sep 4, 2006, 04:09 PM
Read on and be wowed:

Unfortunately that seemingly inadvertent leak was recanted today by the radio host

http://www.yourmaclife.com

generik
Sep 4, 2006, 06:05 PM
Merom MBPs of course :D

MacRumors
Sep 4, 2006, 06:49 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider reports (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2016) that Apple is ready to introduce the iTunes Movie Store at the upcoming September 12th Media Event.

They expect that Jobs will announce that movies from at least one major studio will be available at $9.99/download with additional studies following. Appleinsider, however, also claims that Apple has been working on their next killer device. Instead of a video iPod device to drive movie sales, they believe a video streaming device is in the works:

Jobs many months ago commissioned an elite group of Apple engineers to get the ball rolling on an intuitive hardware solution that would more closely tie the company's digital media strategy to the living-room.
Insiders can only presume the device will take up the form of a video-enabled version of Apple's existing AirPort Express wireless base station, which lets users stream their iTunes music tracks from their computers to their home stereo receivers. It also acts as a wireless 802.11 router and printing hub.

Details are scarce, and the rumor site also reports that the release could still be delayed.

Squire
Sep 4, 2006, 06:50 PM
"Media Device" = Does it include an iPod Video?

This would somewhat explain why the Paris Expo was given the cold shoulder.
"Bonjour, mes amis! The iTunes Movie Store is finally here! (but only in the U.S.)"

This way, they announce the store but also get a chance to demo the product at the Expo.

-Squire

corbin_a2
Sep 4, 2006, 06:51 PM
This is good news!

apfhex
Sep 4, 2006, 06:53 PM
Insiders can only presume the device will take up the form of a video-enabled version of Apple's existing AirPort Express wireless base station, which lets users stream their iTunes music tracks from their computers to their home stereo receivers. It also acts as a wireless 802.11 router and printing hub.
This would quite possibly be the best thing ever if it worked well (it would have to at least output 720p, if that's even *possible* over 802.11g/whatever). I've been waiting for a device like that for a rather long time.

Roller
Sep 4, 2006, 06:53 PM
Not too many details: would this stream movies already downloaded or let you download/view simultaneously (like view on demand)?

miketcool
Sep 4, 2006, 06:55 PM
Sounds more viable for video then a 3 inch screen on a portable hard drive.

Squire
Sep 4, 2006, 06:55 PM
Sounds more viable for video then a 3 inch screen on a portable hard drive.

Why not both?

-Squire

aswitcher
Sep 4, 2006, 06:56 PM
Not too many details: would this stream movies already downloaded or let you download/view simultaneously (like view on demand)?

Ideally both. If you have the bandwidth then you can start watching right away. I suspect though it will not be streaming, but rather download via torrent environment to ease bandwidth on Apple...

faustfire
Sep 4, 2006, 06:58 PM
I hope the movies are available in HD. Ever since apple started offering HD movie trailers I've been drooling over the idea of downloading a full length movie in that quality.

EagerDragon
Sep 4, 2006, 06:59 PM
I think it is the highly anticipated iToilet with universal iPod dock and count 'em four AppleTalk ports.

Sorry the iToiletPaperDispenser is already out.

ezekielrage_99
Sep 4, 2006, 07:00 PM
If the rumor is right or wrong the reality is that it has been over 10 months since the last iPod and iTunes event and therefore we will have to see some sort of an update or event to the iPod lines and more content on the iTunes store.

Personally I would love to see a 60GB or 120GB iPod video made out of the same stuff the MacBook Pro is made out of that would be sweet :cool:

mduser63
Sep 4, 2006, 07:01 PM
I want an iTunes Movie Store, but to me it would be a lot better if you had the choice between a $9.99 download and a $2 or $3 rental that expired after a couple days. I honestly don't buy very many movies at all, because I rarely watch a movie twice. I do like to rent them though, and anything that made that more convenient would be great.

EagerDragon
Sep 4, 2006, 07:03 PM
Unless it's just the 23" iMac I have been hearing about, then it's ok. But if it's a totally new iMac that'll fire me off pretty good.

Same imac with more disk space, faster processor, 23'' screen, better wireless, maybe a second disk drive, and the same price as the old 20 Incher.

Happens every 8 to 12 months, more offten now with Intel.:cool:

macintel4me
Sep 4, 2006, 07:05 PM
I'm confused. Movie downloads for $10?!? What happened to the whole "Jobs is hammered by the movie industry into movie rentals only" ?!? This CANNOT possibly mean renting a movie for $10!! :eek:

My bet is that it's low-res/iPod quality video for purchase. Apple/Steve Jobs have yet to get into the home theater business. So far it's been the mobile entertainment business only. Movie rentals (or purchase for that matter) at home theater quality is a whole other enchilada.

Watching 320x240 movie on my 42" plasma would sort of suck and not be competitive as others have metioned. Would I buy a $10 movie to watch on my iPod? mmm....probably a few to keep me entertained on the treadmill and my son entertained on roadtrips.

aafuss1
Sep 4, 2006, 07:09 PM
Disney and Viacom movies could be the first movies offered.

DeSnousa
Sep 4, 2006, 07:10 PM
I believe this media player will simply be a better iPod with better integration to your television, via possibly a nice dock. It makes sense, it's keeps the iPod in the forefront which would enable the market to grow because most will buy it for the music, but seeing it can attach to the t.v... :)

aafuss1
Sep 4, 2006, 07:12 PM
Same imac with more disk space, faster processor, 23'' screen, better wireless, maybe a second disk drive, and the same price as the old 20 Incher.

Happens every 8 to 12 months, more offten now with Intel.:cool:

No next gen DVD in the 23" yet, I guess.

TheManOfSilver
Sep 4, 2006, 07:12 PM
Apple's entry into the living room is way overdue (the mini only barely counts since it doesn't have real media center/pvr capabilities). I've been waiting for 2 years for them to do with the living room what they have done with the MP3 player.

I can't think of a better combo than a 23" iMac in my office wirelessly linked to a media-box in my living room that will allow me to record and watch TV, stream downloaded movies from my PC to my TV, stream my iTunes library to my stereo, and show my iPhotos without a second computer.

EagerDragon
Sep 4, 2006, 07:15 PM
The device would not make a lot of sense by itself. There is more to this. Most people are waiting for a Media Center system. Sounds like the device would replace some cables that you can get for 40 bucks. I am refering to the cables that allow you to connect your Mac to the TV.

Maybe I am dense, but why stream it to the TV wen a mini can connect to the TV after downloading the show? Maybe to send it to multiple TVs in the house at the same time? Sounds expensive and short lived.

Need hear more, a single device and movie downloads seem to be only part of the picture.

EagerDragon
Sep 4, 2006, 07:18 PM
No next gen DVD in the 23" yet, I guess.

Next gen DVD is still in the air and still too expensive, would raise the price by at least 700 (likely more). Not sure most people are ready to shell that much yet.

Psychic Shopper
Sep 4, 2006, 07:20 PM
"This would somewhat explain why the Paris Expo was given the cold shoulder."
Cold shoulder to say the least. The same day as the expo, in London, Apple will hold a press conference. If you are a reporter, where do you go?
Apple distanced itself from the Macworld New York Expo, I wonder if they are doing the same thing with the Paris expo?

superleccy
Sep 4, 2006, 07:23 PM
Maybe I am dense, but why stream it to the TV wen a mini can connect to the TV after downloading the show? Maybe to send it to multiple TVs in the house at the same time? Sounds expensive and short lived.
Well I'd like it. I have an iBook G4 hooked up to a 250Gb LaCie drive, on which I store stuff I've pulled from Elgato EyeTV2.x. They sit upstairs. My TV, on the other hand, is downstairs. I can't be bothered carrying my Laptop AND my LaCie AND their power supplies downstairs every time I want to watch a show. I want to sit in my living room, and browse my recorded content without having to physically touch my Mac.

I don't want to buy a Mac Mini (and then pay twice for every subsequent release OS X).

And then hey, I guess I could do all the other Front Row stuff too. Sorted.

A "Video AirPort Exprerss" is the way to go... come on Apple!

Regds
SL

Ktulu
Sep 4, 2006, 07:24 PM
Appleinsider, however, also claims that Apple has been working on their next killer device. Instead of a video iPod device to drive movie sales, they believe a video streaming device is in the works:

I know it says Instead of a video iPod, they believe a video streaming device. As others have stated, this doesn't seem to be enough to warrant a "Special Media Event".

What if this rumor is half right: There is a new video streaming device ready to be demoed, but the "one more thing" could be that there is a video iPod also ready, and the movie service works the same way with it as the iTMS, but the video iPod can also stream the videos to your TV. There are limitations, such as battery life, but it could be limited to just being able to stream when the video iPod is connected to a power supply.

Just a thought....:rolleyes:

uv23
Sep 4, 2006, 07:28 PM
I predict a more powerful, larger storage, video iPod with a dock that has component/hdmi/whatever video and optical audio outs. No big deal. It's a natural progression from what's available today.

berkleeboy210
Sep 4, 2006, 07:31 PM
With all these rumors around, I feel like this event is Tomorrow, and not next week, but still we don't even have a confirmed date yet.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to see everything happen in one event that AppleInsider recently predicted.

But I just there are too many rumors floating around at this point.

Anyone agree w/ me on this one?

noservice2001
Sep 4, 2006, 07:34 PM
go apple!

apfhex
Sep 4, 2006, 07:37 PM
The device would not make a lot of sense by itself. There is more to this. Most people are waiting for a Media Center system. Sounds like the device would replace some cables that you can get for 40 bucks. I am refering to the cables that allow you to connect your Mac to the TV.
If you're like me, you don't have your Mac right next to your TV. Not only would I have to string a DVI/HDMI cable aaaall the way across the room, I would also have to get an equally long digital audio cable. Probably end up costing about the same as a video AirPort Express (if they keep the prices the same) but with the added hassle of getting those cables across the room.

This would be a lot less expensive than buying a Mac mini, especially if you already have a powerful desktop just waiting to play some HD videos...

gugy
Sep 4, 2006, 07:45 PM
Apple, Please!
Just give me a Media Center where all my music, video and pictures are store.
A place where I can connect all my Entertainment room devices, a place where I can connect my HDTV display, a place where I can download songs and eventually movies, a place where everything is connected and works beautifully. A place where I have an UI that is elegant and simple as the Ipod UI or Front Row.
Something like a Mac Mini format or little larger would be great.
That's is what is missing in the digital lifestyle IMHO.
Apple bring it on!

Ipod widescreen video, also will be very welcome!

dongmin
Sep 4, 2006, 07:48 PM
I know it says Instead of a video iPod, they believe a video streaming device. As others have stated, this doesn't seem to be enough to warrant a "Special Media Event".

What if this rumor is half right: There is a new video streaming device ready to be demoed, but the "one more thing" could be that there is a video iPod also ready, and the movie service works the same way with it as the iTMS, but the video iPod can also stream the videos to your TV. There are limitations, such as battery life, but it could be limited to just being able to stream when the video iPod is connected to a power supply.

Just a thought....:rolleyes:You're right, it doesn't have to be either or. It could and should be both. iTunes will download the movies in high resolution (at least 480p) for the living room but also simultaneously compress down the movies for the iPod like it does with photos.

Anyways, don't discount this video-streaming Airport express hardware, especially if it has an IR receiver so that you can control Front Row 100% from the living room. It could be a pretty big improvement over the current setup which forces you to interact with your computer screen for these living room functions. Apple is smart to seperate them.

10layers
Sep 4, 2006, 07:49 PM
This is exactly what we have been predicting in the article Apple movie downloads soon, what about the TV?. (http://10layers.com/2006/09/apple-movie-downloads-soon-what-about-the-tv/)

Apple has been driving iPod sales with music sales. We think that they will be driving some new device sales with movie sales. In addition, we do not think that movie downloads will go mainstream until it is convenient to view them on the best device: your home entertainment system. This is what Apple has been redying before launching movie downloads. Apple want the picture to be complete.

mike3k
Sep 4, 2006, 07:54 PM
An iPod update is way overdue. It's been almost a year since the last major iPod update.

Chupa Chupa
Sep 4, 2006, 07:55 PM

Hmm...I think Belkin calls this 802.11n. This isn't new. Gimme a break. People are really scrounging around deep now.

Look Apple has been keeping secrets it wants to be secret very secret for over a year now. The rumor sites have been so off this year, except for the obvious, that they'd need a power plant to get them back to being on. I'm not buying any of it. I'll be sorely disapponted if all we get is a Disney movie store, a 80GB iPod, a 23" iMac, and an array of colorful nanos. Zzzzz. Put me to sleep.

The nano was the last buzzworthy product Apple has put out in a year (I'll spare you the MPB jokes). Apple is due with something cool; something to compete with PS3 dollars this Xmas.

HecubusPro
Sep 4, 2006, 07:56 PM
I'm confused. Movie downloads for $10?!? What happened to the whole "Jobs is hammered by the movie industry into movie rentals only" ?!? This CANNOT possibly mean renting a movie for $10!! :eek:

My bet is that it's low-res/iPod quality video for purchase. Apple/Steve Jobs have yet to get into the home theater business. So far it's been the mobile entertainment business only. Movie rentals (or purchase for that matter) at home theater quality is a whole other enchilada.

Watching 320x240 movie on my 42" plasma would sort of suck and not be competitive as others have metioned. Would I buy a $10 movie to watch on my iPod? mmm....probably a few to keep me entertained on the treadmill and my son entertained on roadtrips.

Rumors are rampant, but they do bring up a good point, as you do here. Who would want to watch a movie on an iPod? (Well, actually, I have and I do, but that's beside the point.)

The Appleinsider rumor at least makes sense from an itunes/tv/movie purchase standpoint. Renting would be sort of a PITA. Who would want to download a good quality movie, often taking hours or days, unless you have a lot of people torrenting at the same time, just to have it accessible for a week or so? Not me.

This will be a movie purchase service. You buy the movie, DL it from itunes, then do what you want to with it. Watch it on you computer, rip it to DVD and watch it on your TV, run it through an air tunes like device so you don't have to rip it if you don't want.

It sounds pretty interesting to me. We'll see when it happens. Regardless, the quality is going to have be pretty good for people to want to watch them on their TV's. Offering 700mb .avi rips just won't cut it.

dongmin
Sep 4, 2006, 07:56 PM
If you're like me, you don't have your Mac right next to your TV. Not only would I have to string a DVI/HDMI cable aaaall the way across the room, I would also have to get an equally long digital audio cable. Probably end up costing about the same as a video AirPort Express (if they keep the prices the same) but with the added hassle of getting those cables across the room.

This would be a lot less expensive than buying a Mac mini, especially if you already have a powerful desktop just waiting to play some HD videos...Apple seems to agree with you. They want you to buy lifestyle products that complement your Mac and the iLife apps, as opposed to a sepearte 'Media Center' type hardware.

For me personally, I fantasize about an inexpensive media server that connects to your TV and stereo components and also streams movies, music, photos, etc. to individual computers in your household. It'd basically be a Tivo on steroids. I think this device too can complement the rest of the Mac-iLife world quite nicely.

Ktulu
Sep 4, 2006, 08:00 PM
Hmm...I think Belkin calls this 802.11n. This isn't new. Gimme a break. People are really scrounging around deep now.

Look Apple has been keeping secrets it wants to be secret very secret for over a year now. The rumor sites have been so off this year, except for the obvious, that they'd need a power plant to get them back to being on. I'm not buying any of it. I'll be sorely disapponted if all we get is a Disney movie store, a 80GB iPod, a 23" iMac, and an array of colorful nanos. Zzzzz. Put me to sleep.

The nano was the last buzzworthy product Apple has put out in a year (I'll spare you the MPB jokes). Apple is due with something cool; something to compete with PS3 dollars this Xmas.

Are you insinuating that Apple should put out a gaming system to compete for PS3 dollars, or just the holiday dollars in general and right now the PS3 is the "Hot Ticket" this coming Holiday season?

Just wondering.....:confused:

G5Unit
Sep 4, 2006, 08:00 PM
WO0t! PowerBook G5 tuesday after next!

TheManOfSilver
Sep 4, 2006, 08:01 PM

This would be a lot less expensive than buying a Mac mini, especially if you already have a powerful desktop just waiting to play some HD videos...

Exactly! I think other potential twists would include a video Airport Express with a built-in TV tuner (to stream tv content back to your iMac/Mac Pro for recording, or an optional built-in HD for local storage when you don't have your Mac on or something.

pink-pony115
Sep 4, 2006, 08:01 PM
Holiday season fast approaching...there's no way they will enter shopping season without a new iPod lineup. Period.

If they do, I'm dumping my stock.:p

And Appleinsider is sandbagging - hedging their bets that at least a portion of what they are reporting is true.

Well said iGary. I bought apple stock right before the iPod got hot. My friends are kicking themselves because they didn't buy apple. :rolleyes:

evilgEEk
Sep 4, 2006, 08:04 PM
This device is precisely why I haven't replaced my Airport Express (see sig). I sure hope this turns out to be true because this is exactly what I've been waiting for!

New nano and 23" iMac would be sweet too, although I don't need a new computer so it doesn't really affect me much.

Mac Fly (film)
Sep 4, 2006, 08:04 PM
I hope the movies are available in HD. Ever since apple started offering HD movie trailers I've been drooling over the idea of downloading a full length movie in that quality.
I know what you mean, cause that quality is delicious. :)

Mac Fly (film)
Sep 4, 2006, 08:06 PM

"Bonjour, mes amis! The iTunes Movie Store is finally here! (but only in the U.S.)"

This way, they announce the store but also get a chance to demo the product at the Expo.

-Squire
TV shows are US only, but I doubt Movies will be US only. That would be like music being US only? TV shows are a different animal.

EagerDragon
Sep 4, 2006, 08:16 PM

I see your point but I do not yet see HD over 802.11g. Maybe with some new codex and some decoding on the device, but I still don't think so. Come on Apple make a believer out of me.

BrianMojo
Sep 4, 2006, 08:17 PM
TV shows are US only, but I doubt Movies will be US only. That would be like music being US only? TV shows are a different animal.

They sure are a different animal; Hollywood thrives on sales outside of the US. Even though all you often hear about is domestic US take on a movie, often the worldwide sales match and far surpass that number. So even though television studios may worry (and rightfully so) about their content translating to different cultures, Hollywood has been making movies universal for years for just that reason.

QCassidy352
Sep 4, 2006, 08:22 PM
an airport express that can stream video... could I be any less underwhelmed? :rolleyes:

Ahheck01
Sep 4, 2006, 08:22 PM
No, the iToilet with universal iPod dock was released yesterday. From the press release:

"In the first release of the new iToilet, Apple has included a noise-cancelling feature that masks the noises caused by bodily functions..."

"... can select music files to be played as the flushing sound..."

"... will be available, like the macbook and ipod, in both white and black. Production for the U2 edition was halted after lead singer...."

"...died of a heart attack while using a pre-production iToilet. Several revisions have since been made."

"Steve Jobs is calling it a 'freak accident' and is said to be paying for a custom 'iFuneral' in which all attendees will be offered a rebate on Mac Pro's."

-Evan

appleguy
Sep 4, 2006, 08:23 PM
People have said that a media device that will bing the iPod to the home TV.
but isnt this what the Stereo Connection Kit with Universal Dock and Remote.
it was the cables to connect your video ipod up to your TV.

Small White Car
Sep 4, 2006, 08:29 PM
Just think.

IF they come out with this media device and IF they offer HD movies online and IF it works with Windows too...

Well then this silly Blu-Ray/HD-DVD war that everyone's gearing up to fight might be over before it starts. And the winner will be: iTunes!

Unlikely? We'll see...

EagerDragon
Sep 4, 2006, 08:32 PM
People have said that a media device that will bing the iPod to the home TV.
but isnt this what the Stereo Connection Kit with Universal Dock and Remote.
it was the cables to connect your video ipod up to your TV.

This the more expensive version of that, except that is HD. Umm I wonder if you can steal the movie by picking up the stream from the air? LOL there goes DRM.

If it takes several hours to download a movie over the Internet....... How do I transmit the same movie over 802.11g in 2 hours or less to my tv?

Stick to the cables, you need 802.11n minimum to do this and it will kill your home network. Nobody else at home can do anything else.

appleguy
Sep 4, 2006, 08:35 PM
Stick to the cables, you need 802.11n minimum to do this and it will kill your home network. Nobody else at home can do anything else.
Well if its your network. screw everyone else I say. lol:cool:

zwida
Sep 4, 2006, 08:44 PM
An iPod update is way overdue. It's been almost a year since the last major iPod update.

I think it's reasonable to say that an iPod update is due. It's hard to argue that an iPod update is "way overdue." Apple times this stuff deliberately, and even if we'd all like flashy new kit every three months, I think they've got the update cycle just about perfect.

Juss@mac.com
Sep 4, 2006, 08:44 PM
Anyone else notice that Elgato have now pulled their Eyehome media streaming device without a replacement? Anything to do with rumors of a rival device from Apple?

TheManOfSilver
Sep 4, 2006, 08:45 PM
This the more expensive version of that, except that is HD. Umm I wonder if you can steal the movie by picking up the stream from the air? LOL there goes DRM.

If it takes several hours to download a movie over the Internet....... How do I transmit the same movie over 802.11g in 2 hours or less to my tv?

Maybe I'm not doing this math right, but I'm not sure that's true. I can download a 4.7GB movie in about 2-3 hours over my internet connection (average speeds of 500Kb/sec). A 802.11a or g router transfers data at a max rate of 54Mbps or about 6.75MB/sec. That's about 12 times as fast, meaning that transmitting full DVD-quality video can occur in realtime, with plenty of bandwidth to spare to other functions while watching your movies. By the time HD video recording becomes standard, the Apple video airport express can be upgraded to 802.11n to provide even more bandwidth.

Do I have those figures wrong?

poppe
Sep 4, 2006, 08:49 PM
Who wants to be that Steve, when he gets his live press release that is streaming to London or where ever it was, will be using this new technology to show how wonderful it works.

thejadedmonkey
Sep 4, 2006, 08:54 PM
Maybe I'm not doing this math right, but I'm not sure that's true. I can download a 4.7GB movie in about 2-3 hours over my internet connection (average speeds of 500Kb/sec). A 802.11a or g router transfers data at a max rate of 54Mbps or about 6.75MB/sec. That's about 12 times as fast, meaning that transmitting full DVD-quality video can occur in realtime, with plenty of bandwidth to spare to other functions while watching your movies. By the time HD video recording becomes standard, the Apple video airport express can be upgraded to 802.11n to provide even more bandwidth.

Do I have those figures wrong?
802.11g average transfer is 1/2 of it's max (on average). I'm too tired to do any math, but that would mean you'd only have 6 time as much speed, not 12.

Evan_11
Sep 4, 2006, 08:55 PM
How about an iPod dock but with an airport express built-in. That way you could either stream video off of your iPod or your Mac. This is important since any device they introduce will have to be both Mac and PC compliant and there is no version of front row currently available for Windows.

boncellis
Sep 4, 2006, 08:55 PM
This makes sense to me, although it likely has some functionality beyond what has been described. Apple wants to move into a new forum, why reinvent the iPod when it's been done so well? The iTMS has the potential to be bigger than the iPod--big enough to drive sales of computers and a new video device as well as the iPod, it would be anathema for Apple to limit themselves.

The streaming technology is already there through iTunes, is it not? If you have a Mini hooked up to the TV, can't you just stream video to the Mini and play it there? If so, this has to be something new--something that Apple can market alongside the Mini. (Either that or Apple needs to cut the price of the Mini to make it a more realistic set-top box option--maybe Apple sees this as an improved implementation of that idea).

xjebbx
Sep 4, 2006, 08:56 PM
Video, music, pictures, DVD, all sound great, but what i really want is my printer right next to my TV.

aristobrat
Sep 4, 2006, 09:03 PM
Exactly! I think other potential twists would include a video Airport Express with a built-in TV tuner (to stream tv content back to your iMac/Mac Pro for recording, or an optional built-in HD for local storage when you don't have your Mac on or something.
I'd be surprised if Apple did anything with TV tuners.

With the variety of TV services that people have (analog cable, digital cable, satellite TV, Verizon's TV over fiber, terrestrial HDTV), coming up with a device that can tune most folks TV doesn't sound easy, even for Apple.

chuckles:)
Sep 4, 2006, 09:06 PM
an airport express that can stream video... could I be any less underwhelmed? :rolleyes:

agreed... that insider article made it sound like a miricle machine.

TheManOfSilver
Sep 4, 2006, 09:09 PM

With the variety of TV services that people have (analog cable, digital cable, satellite TV, Verizon's TV over fiber, terrestrial HDTV), coming up with a device that can tune most folks TV doesn't sound easy, even for Apple.

There may be lots of TV options out there, but right now Apple isn't servicing any of them. They're losing potential business to 3rd Party companies like Elgato. If they released a simple box with analog/digital standard/hidef options, they would be servicing the overwhelming majority of the market (most digital, satelite and other special services require set-top boxes anyway).

Stella
Sep 4, 2006, 09:18 PM
Read on and be wowed:

New hardware will be good.

Can't say I'm too excited about a Movie store - it'll be u.s only and thus only available to a small percentage of the world.

Philberttheduck
Sep 4, 2006, 09:22 PM
Rumors are rampant, but they do bring up a good point, as you do here. Who would want to watch a movie on an iPod? (Well, actually, I have and I do, but that's beside the point.)

LOLLLLLLL Can we just say quote of the year right there? Honestly got me lol. Props to you.

I hope to hell that Apple releases a media server (Tivo on steroids sounds right) with all the necessary inputs and outputs. Honestly, that would justify me getting my parents to get another mac in the household. :-)

But if this new product turns out to be a streaming player, I wouldn't be happy. I'd be MUCH more happy if they released a 80+GB (preferably 120) for 450 bucks 4.5" WS. Streaming portable video player is kinda unnecessary because, like many of you have mentioned before, if you can watch it on your 20" LCD screen why settle for 3-4"? Only time I use streaming music on my PSP is taking a crap or shower. The PSP isn't really loud but I turn off my fan thing and it's more than adequate (I'm not expecting hi-def surround sound while I sing to my favorite GN'R song).

Hell, throw in the idea of an iPhone. Very unlikely but if they release the movie store they better release that full screen iPod. I'm waiting Apple...

iToilet has the VoiceOver option available to congratulate you when your crap falls in. Or there's some script that plays a clip/song when you successfully flush the toilet without it getting clogged. OK i'm done.

aristobrat
Sep 4, 2006, 09:22 PM
If they released a simple box with analog/digital standard/hidef options, they would be servicing the overwhelming majority of the market (most digital, satelite and other special services require set-top boxes anyway).
I'd be surprised if the majority of the market isn't stuck with set-top boxes that make products like Elgato useless.

Tommyg117
Sep 4, 2006, 09:26 PM
Cool, but I'd rather have a more powerful faster airport extreme.

dongmin
Sep 4, 2006, 09:28 PM
There may be lots of TV options out there, but right now Apple isn't servicing any of them. They're losing potential business to 3rd Party companies like Elgato. If they released a simple box with analog/digital standard/hidef options, they would be servicing the overwhelming majority of the market (most digital, satelite and other special services require set-top boxes anyway).I don't see anything wrong with letting Third Party developers pick up the slack where Apple is not delivering. EyeTV is a pretty good product for people who want PVR fundationality on their Macs. Sure, it'd be great if Apple did something innovative in this arena, but for a simple PVR, EyeTV does the job.

mox358
Sep 4, 2006, 09:29 PM
There may be lots of TV options out there, but right now Apple isn't servicing any of them. They're losing potential business to 3rd Party companies like Elgato. If they released a simple box with analog/digital standard/hidef options, they would be servicing the overwhelming majority of the market (most digital, satelite and other special services require set-top boxes anyway).

I really doubt that Apple will put a TV tuner in this thing (if it's real). Think about it -

Point 1 - If Apple puts a tuner in then they have to deal with the myriad of different types of TV.

Point 2 - THEY SELL TV SHOWS!

Does Steve want you to Tivo the new episode of "The Office" on your "MediaMac/Airport Express Video/Super iPod" or does he want you to come to the iTunes store and download it for $2? Apple, despite most of our (including my own) beliefs is a business and they have to think of the $$$ first.

Why give something away when you can make money off it? That's still my theory as to why the mini didn't have a tuner from the start.

macintel4me
Sep 4, 2006, 09:40 PM
A FrontRow AirPort Express device (with remote) is a much more cost effective way than buying a Mac Mini. Personally, I would love to play music, show my family pics and videos on my living room TV, but found a $600 Mac Mini too pricey for that. To be honest, I don't need (nor want to pay for) video editing software, music editing software, etc for my living room. An XBox can do that for half the price and it does games. I haven't gone the XBox route because it just seems too 'weird' and I'm waiting for the 'right' device to come out. I hoping this is it. :)

I would have to see however how 320x240 would look on my plasma. I have a feeling I'd be disappointed....especially for $10...so the Movie Store thing may not be for me!!

TheManOfSilver
Sep 4, 2006, 09:42 PM
I really doubt that Apple will put a TV tuner in this thing (if it's real). Think about it -

Point 1 - If Apple puts a tuner in then they have to deal with the myriad of different types of TV.

Does Steve want you to Tivo the new episode of "The Office" on your "MediaMac/Airport Express Video/Super iPod" or does he want you to come to the iTunes store and download it for $2? Apple, despite most of our (including my own) beliefs is a business and they have to think of the $$$ first.

Why give something away when you can make money off it? That's still my theory as to why the mini didn't have a tuner from the start.

They might want to make money off of the millions of people who watch TV outside of the US (where they don't sell their TV shows). They also don't have to provide for every TV possibility, just as EyeTV doesn't cover all options (and I agree with others that EyeTV is a good solution, but why not have a true Apple alternative?).

McDave
Sep 4, 2006, 09:46 PM

Too true! Why create a device to capture/de-schedule broadcast TV (with the mis-timings, satellite rain-fade & commercials) when you can sell most of the content directly, with one mouse/remote-click.

I think this will do to movies & TV what the iPod did for music, just don't forget the Blu-Ray player.

McD

appleguy
Sep 4, 2006, 09:48 PM
who knows they might release a mini mac style media centre with OSX that will be used to download the movies and allow you to burn it straight to DVD/Blueray lol :cool:

mox358
Sep 4, 2006, 09:51 PM
They might want to make money off of the millions of people who watch TV outside of the US (where they don't sell their TV shows). They also don't have to provide for every TV possibility, just as EyeTV doesn't cover all options (and I agree with others that EyeTV is a good solution, but why not have a true Apple alternative?).

Very good counterpoint. But then to protect their TV show sales in the U.S. if they leave out the tuner here, and include in it other countries that would look really bad.

The obvious solution is not to include one from the start. If people want one, then sell them the EyeTV on the Apple store. Makes Apple's base hardware cheaper (which looks good in advertisements), keeps all their hardware the same in different countries (which looks good to investors and the public doesn't feel like they're getting screwed), and still offer the option to those who want it while keeping a Mac supporting company happy (by not stepping on their toes and killing them).

I don't think a TV tuner/Media mac is a bad idea, I just don't think its gonna happen for the reasons I mentioned. I could be wrong though, I'm just speculating. I haven't had a chance to take any crappy camera phone pictures of un-announced Apple products in shady elevators lately:D

macintel4me
Sep 4, 2006, 09:51 PM
who knows they might release a mini mac style media centre with OSX that will be used to download the movies and allow you to burn it straight to DVD/Blueray lol :cool:
Okay, a FrontRow/AirPort Express/iTunes-downloadable Media Center device is SWEET!! I bet that is EXACTLY what we see Apple delivering!!

appleguy
Sep 4, 2006, 09:54 PM
Okay, a FrontRow/AirPort Express/iTunes-downloadable Media Center device is SWEET!! I bet that is EXACTLY what we see Apple delivering!!
Now my bet is on that Apple has been watching this thread to see what we come up with and will now halt the announcement of this great device to punish us all:rolleyes:

MattyMac
Sep 4, 2006, 09:56 PM
Read on and be wowed:

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

I can't wait to see the invitations...let alone the new products.

...and the day before my birthday too:p

Object-X
Sep 4, 2006, 10:05 PM
same price as the old 20 Incher.

Don't bet on it. I'd say a cool $2000 for that rig. Expect the current prices to stay intact.

boxandrew
Sep 4, 2006, 10:10 PM
Is there anyone who has actually received one of these fabled invites? :confused:

boxandrew
Sep 4, 2006, 10:11 PM
Have I missed something?

As far as I can tell, we haven't actually seen an invite to this media event, so how do we know it's actually going to happen? If Apple are having trouble with some of the proposed releases, what's to prevent them delaying till later in the month or even early October?

ClimbingTheLog
Sep 4, 2006, 10:17 PM
Anyone else notice that Elgato have now pulled their Eyehome media streaming device without a replacement? Anything to do with rumors of a rival device from Apple?

Rivalry or acquisition?

ClimbingTheLog
Sep 4, 2006, 10:18 PM

Only if you understood less about the challenge of streaming NTSC-quality video wirelessly. ;)

levitynyc
Sep 4, 2006, 10:19 PM
Is this press conference and keynote going to be televised or streamed somewhere over the net?

ClimbingTheLog
Sep 4, 2006, 10:24 PM
Apple is due with something cool; something to compete with PS3 dollars this Xmas.

Compete, eh? The device everybody is clamouring for is exactly like a PS3, and a PS3 can run iTunes and has a hard drive. And the President of Sony was on stage with Jobs recently. And Sony has a movie studio.

Nah, couldn't be.

Apple distanced itself from the Macworld New York Expo, I wonder if they are doing the same thing with the Paris expo?

Plus the French are gunning for Apple ['s FairPlay]. Jobs doesn't strike me as the "thank you sir, may I have another?" type.

A second disk drive? Cripes, I'd have to buy one.

He who isn't RAID mirroring will lose hair to data loss.

Or you could use that Time Machine thing (which is still really weird about needing a second drive).

macintel4me
Sep 4, 2006, 10:30 PM
I think I really figure it out now.

FrontRow/AirPort Express/iTunes-downloadable/iPod-docking station Media Center device. It will sync your iPod wireless too.

Here's why...
1) People are buying iPods and iTunes' videos already at 320x240 and being profitable; no reason to change
2) People can now stream music, videos (home or purchased), pics to their TV wirelessly
3) People can now sync music, videos (home or purchased), pics to their iPod wirelessly
4) This is NOT meant to compete with Blockbuster. It's simply bringing the computer's content to the living room...not the computer itself.

How much do you want to bet that this 'special event' will be streamed using this device. You heard it here!

ezekielrage_99
Sep 4, 2006, 10:55 PM

I never get sick of that, 12 month later and still is funny :D

akadmon
Sep 4, 2006, 11:03 PM
Merom MBPs of course :D

I second this emoticon!

If anyone at Apple HQs is listening, please give us a revved up/priced down MBP. Merom + 160 GB/7200 rpm hdd at $1999 would be sweet. I don't care to watch movies on anything less than a 50" screen, and I sure as hell am not moved to tears by an 8GB nano that is priced at 75% of a regular iPod. C'mon Apple, it's not too late!

BWhaler
Sep 4, 2006, 11:39 PM
This seems contradictory.

10 bucks, but it only streams?

Maybe I am missing something, or maybe this is just pieces of the puzzle.

macintel4me
Sep 4, 2006, 11:40 PM
This seems contradictory.

10 bucks, but it only streams?

Maybe I am missing something, or maybe this is just pieces of the puzzle.
$10 to buy to your computer. It then streams to your living room using the 'new device'.

jicon
Sep 4, 2006, 11:48 PM
Well, let's assume this occurs...

802.11n device released that can stream video:
-The current AE does okay with audio, because it doesn't consume much of the g's bandwidth (Airport Extreme). Only problem with it, is if you have b devices (Airport), the 802.11g spec will cut bandwidth dramatically so all devices can still communicate. Once in a while, you'll notice audio sputter/cut out.
-802.11n will most definitely need old compatibility with g and possibly b devices. Early reports I've read mention rather lousy throughput, meaning more than likely, crippled screen resolution for any video offered... I can't see much more than 320x240 with H264 if such a device is released.

Oh well, we'll know in a week I guess.

GFLPraxis
Sep 5, 2006, 12:02 AM

Then you haven't been paying attention. We've KNOWN new iMacs were coming in September ever since Intel announced Core 2 Duo was coming in September, THREE MONTHS AGO. I've been waiting three months for the Core 2 Duo iMac update.

ezekielrage_99
Sep 5, 2006, 12:28 AM

Yeah there's very little point to add something to your product lines which will compete with your existing products/services unless you are going for full market control aka De Beers.

ezekielrage_99
Sep 5, 2006, 12:31 AM
Then you haven't been paying attention. We've KNOWN new iMacs were coming in September ever since Intel announced Core 2 Duo was coming in September, THREE MONTHS AGO. I've been waiting three months for the Core 2 Duo iMac update.

Me too, I doubt if Apple wil wait another month because other PC manufacturers have release a few Core 2 Duos over the last few days and lets face it Apple is now competing on a hardware basis now as well.

Sped
Sep 5, 2006, 12:44 AM
I have hoped Apple would get into the living room with a PVR, but I wouldn't mind a device that I could use to show purchased movies either. But like others have mentioned, it doesn't seem to make sense when you think about bandwidth versus video quality.

It's hard to imagine anything better than 480p using a wireless method. Adding a gigabit pipe might do the trick but most folks' houses are wired to make that happen. I'm sorry but I just don't see how this is going to work if based on the same conceptual design as itunes + airport express.

jamferma
Sep 5, 2006, 01:28 AM
:confused:

What is this....

www.apple.com/movies

comes up with

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /movies on this server.

What might this mean

halhiker
Sep 5, 2006, 01:31 AM
I don't really get the point of wireless video unless you can somehow incorporate a pause feature into it. What am I going to do with the video if I have to answer the door or phone or go to the can or get a snack? Do I have to go to my computer and reset the video and hope that when it streams to the TV or whatever it's at the right spot? For me it would be much easier to just move the movie to my iPod, put the iPod in a dock with a remote and watch it that way. Unless maybe the new airport device has it's own remote! Now that might be interesting. :D
Hal

Bonte
Sep 5, 2006, 02:23 AM
I just want a cheap Mini and a way to put games in FrontRow, why not sell small games via iTunes?

Macnoviz
Sep 5, 2006, 02:25 AM

I love those kind of reactions, just look one time at this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500), and you'll know what I mean

This isn't revoltionary!
I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!
Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!

Macnoviz
Sep 5, 2006, 02:28 AM

What is this....

www.apple.com/movies

comes up with

Forbidden

What might this mean

movies.apple.com is where they keep the movies that stream on the site (like the get a mac ads)
you normally can't browse to them, but if you look at the page info using Firefox, you can see on a page where the media is located. That's how you can download those movies withouth getting quicktime pro

CJM
Sep 5, 2006, 03:10 AM
I love those kind of reactions, just look one time at this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500), and you'll know what I mean

True.

I don't have a use for such a device right now, but I was also a person that said I didn't want an iPod... I now have 3. So in the future, I might be wanting a video streamer.

BWhaler
Sep 5, 2006, 03:55 AM
Come on MBP update... :-)

(Although I am sure it's not at this event, I gotta hope...)

jt2110
Sep 5, 2006, 04:11 AM
Don't all wireless devices have to be approved by the FCC?

Might we get a preview of this device?

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this.

netdog
Sep 5, 2006, 04:11 AM
I've got a feeling that AI is right on the money here. Next Tuesday is going to be exciting, and I expect that it will go according to the script that AI has suggested.

MarcelV
Sep 5, 2006, 04:59 AM
What is this....
www.apple.com/movies
comes up with
Forbidden
What might this mean
:eek: I knew it, i knew it......... someone would find this link. It's an old link. old like in several years.

avkills
Sep 5, 2006, 05:02 AM
H.264 isn't really that much data.

The Wildlife 720p HD stream from Apple is less than 3000 kbits/sec. For comparison, the Pixlet demo is like 27 mbits/sec. A 1080p h.264 stream is less than 10 mbits/sec.

So with those numbers, a 720p stream with 5.1 audio should easily stream over even a 10 mbit network device. So I can easily see this working over 802.11g.

Now the only issue is what they are going to put in the device to decode the streams with. Forward compatibility with future codecs would be nice.

-mark

Evangelion
Sep 5, 2006, 05:02 AM
I really doubt that Apple will put a TV tuner in this thing (if it's real). Think about it - .....

Wanna know how many tv-shows ITMS has for sale in Finland? zero. That's right, big, fat zero.

Chupa Chupa
Sep 5, 2006, 05:15 AM
Are you insinuating that Apple should put out a gaming system to compete for PS3 dollars, or just the holiday dollars in general and right now the PS3 is the "Hot Ticket" this coming Holiday season?

Just wondering.....:confused:

No, don't be so silly or literal. PS3 dollars are the money people have dedicated to buy the PS3 -- the defacto "big ticket" item this year. Apple needs a product that will compete for that money...and press converage. Everyone and their mother got an iPod last year. Apple needs to pull a fresh product out of Jobs pocket; not a storage bump or new skins for the nano. THAT is what I'm saying.

Stella
Sep 5, 2006, 06:01 AM

Large Yawn.

You do realise your not funny at all - rather - very irritating.

Can't you be original?

Squire
Sep 5, 2006, 06:16 AM
If anyone at Apple HQs is listening, please give us a revved up/priced down MBP. Merom + 160 GB/7200 rpm hdd at $1999 would be sweet. I don't care to watch movies on anything less than a 50" screen, and I sure as hell am not moved to tears by an 8GB nano that is priced at 75% of a regular iPod. C'mon Apple, it's not too late!

If they release MacBook Pros, I wonder if the top end models will come with a Blu-ray option. I know people have dismissed this before but I just noticed that Sony has released "The world's first Blu-Ray disc enabled notebook." Will the 17" MBP be next?

-Squire

dazzer21
Sep 5, 2006, 06:47 AM
So what sort of picture and sound quality can we expect from these movie downloads (wireless or otherwise)? Also, as a download, just how big are these files going to be? I wouldn't want to be on the other side of a "your hard disk is now full" prompt 10Mb from the end of a 2Gb download (that's an extreme example - I hope!)

Balli
Sep 5, 2006, 06:59 AM
If they release MacBook Pros, I wonder if the top end models will come with a Blu-ray option. I know people have dismissed this before but I just noticed that Sony has released "The world's first Blu-Ray disc enabled notebook." Will the 17" MBP be next?

-Squire

I guarantee that Apple will choose to put in a hybrid HD-DVD / Blue-Ray drive, rather that limit the Mac to one format... (even though they are supporters of Blue-Ray).

Also it might be a while before Apple's engineering team figures out how to fit the newly released drives into the thin MacBook pros.

prady16
Sep 5, 2006, 07:19 AM
I really wish the media device rumor is true, but i would highly doubt that Apple would bring out the successor to the iPod this early. May be it is a pilot program like the Rockr phone for music on cell phones that Apple wants to experiment with by throwing a media streaming device in the market!

Also, i really wish the movies are priced at $4.99 rather than $9.99!

macintel4me
Sep 5, 2006, 07:24 AM
I really wish the media device rumor is true, but i would highly doubt that Apple would bring out the successor to the iPod this early. May be it is a pilot program like the Rockr phone for music on cell phones that Apple wants to experiment with by throwing a media streaming device in the market!

Also, i really wish the movies are priced at $4.99 rather than $9.99!
No, no, no! The iPod is for mobile entertainment. The media device is for the living room. Nothing mutually exclusive about these at all.

Ktulu
Sep 5, 2006, 07:27 AM
No, don't be so silly or literal. PS3 dollars are the money people have dedicated to buy the PS3 -- the defacto "big ticket" item this year. Apple needs a product that will compete for that money...and press converage. Everyone and their mother got an iPod last year. Apple needs to pull a fresh product out of Jobs pocket; not a storage bump or new skins for the nano. THAT is what I'm saying.

Thank you. I didn't mean to sound silly or literal. When I read your original post, that is how I interpreted it....sorry, it was late for me and I was tired.:D

prady16
Sep 5, 2006, 07:44 AM
No, no, no! The iPod is for mobile entertainment. The media device is for the living room. Nothing mutually exclusive about these at all.

The possibilities are just too many.... iPhone, MediaCenter, touch-screen 10" ipod..... I guess we just have to wait for 12th September!

Any idea if we can watch live streaming of the event on the Internet?

asxtb
Sep 5, 2006, 07:56 AM

As you said, Apple is a business and they have to think of the money first. Let's say they sell a media center for $300. That's $300. Upfront. They put it in the bank and turn it into $400. Taking that initial $300, that is 150 TV shows. That's a lot of TV shows. And that money will be gradually trickling in. Being a business, Apple wants your money now, not a couple bucks here and a couple bucks there. Plus there will be a lot of people that won't buy the media center and will continue buying the shows from iTunes.

4God
Sep 5, 2006, 08:23 AM
Well, the Apple Store Online U.S. is down. Could be something, could be nothing.

Bonte
Sep 5, 2006, 08:24 AM
Apple also lets us rip CD's in iTunes, listen to podcasts and most of us already have a VCR or DVR, recording TV-shows is just an extra option to put it on an iPod and thats way more important than those few dollars they make on a show.

Don't hope for a $300 media-center, a PC media-center cost's between $1000 en $2000 so a $600-$800 "Mini Media" with a bigger HD and extra Front Row functionality will fit the bill perfectly.

Bonte
Sep 5, 2006, 08:30 AM
Maybe Apple wants to be ahead of the rumors. :)

http://images.apple.com/r/store/backsoon/title_backsoon.gif

hyperpasta
Sep 5, 2006, 08:37 AM

Hahaha... here we gooooooo...

Evangelion
Sep 5, 2006, 08:40 AM

Finnish store is still up. As is UK. Only US store seems to be down.

cheunghy
Sep 5, 2006, 08:44 AM
Apple Store Hong Kong is still up...

sixth
Sep 5, 2006, 08:45 AM
hmmm..maybe a big update!? or maybe nothing...:-(

4God
Sep 5, 2006, 08:46 AM
Canadian store is down.

prady16
Sep 5, 2006, 08:48 AM
Probably just a minor update.....Don't expect a biiiig update without any formal announcement or a press conference!

berkleeboy210
Sep 5, 2006, 08:49 AM
If we see new macs when the store is up. then it will be clear that the upcoming event will be only iPod related. here's to mac updates this morning!:D

Evangelion
Sep 5, 2006, 09:03 AM
If we see new macs when the store is up. then it will be clear that the upcoming event will be only iPod related. here's to mac updates this morning!:D

If there are Mac updates coming, why is only US store down?

Evangelion
Sep 5, 2006, 09:06 AM
Store is back up. Can't see anything new

hyperpasta
Sep 5, 2006, 09:07 AM
Store is back up. Can't see anything new

Same here. False alarm! :(

sixth
Sep 5, 2006, 09:08 AM
damn nothing ;-( wtf!

Skull Leader
Sep 5, 2006, 09:46 AM
My Predictions:

1) Apple Movie Store, probably with a limited scope, but a start.

2) New Apple Airport Express Base station that streams video content as well as music.

3) New Apple Cinema Displays that have built in wireless to interact with 2) above as well as your computer...You heard it here first. ;)

HOPING for the eagerly awaited Apple media centre/PVR thingie...but doubt it. :( If this replaces 2) with an added hard drive and DVD burner I will go crazy.

Skull Leader.

Bonte
Sep 5, 2006, 09:49 AM
The store is updated but will show the new content on the 12th i guess, available the day itself.

blybug
Sep 5, 2006, 10:00 AM

I'd be overjoyed if Apple has "bought out" the EyeHome from Elgato and gives it the polish and compatibility only Apple could do. I've used EyeHome for over 2 years and it's at best "OK" as a media hub. The box itself is tacky (make it look like the mini or a stereo component...and give it an optical drive), the on-screen interface is pretty kludgy (replace it with Front Row), protected media cannot play (of course Apple can fix that), MP4 support/quality is inconsistent and H.264 support completely absent (again Apple can fix that).

I've always seen EyeHome as a good try by a 3rd party, but really needing some spit and shine that only Apple could provide. I bet the quiet disappearance of this product from Elgato will indeed prove itself to be the hardware analogy to SoundJam-->iTunes. The new Apple "EyeHome" (iHome??? hmmm...already taken...iPod Home?? Front Row Media Center??) should be a very stripped-down mac mini that boots up to Front Row with the addition of a "Settings" menu, and access to purchasing music and/or movies which end up in the iTunes library of a connected computer.

I was planning to buy a mini to replace my EyeHome as soon as it had Front Row available, but then the price went up by $100...simply not worth buying a whole computer for this use. Sell a device like this for $200 and you've got me!:D

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 10:06 AM
Elgato has not removed the EyeHome product

http://elgato.com/index.php?file=shop_onlineshopus

scroll down.you can buy one right now.

dizastor
Sep 5, 2006, 10:11 AM
Who else thinks Lion's Gate will not be on the list... at least for now?

briansolomon
Sep 5, 2006, 10:33 AM
I think I speak for most everyone when I say that feeling we used to get, before Intel processors were in the machines, is back.

MacinDoc
Sep 5, 2006, 10:43 AM
Wow, AppleInsider is making a lot of predictions! (And it's usually the most accurate source because it tends to be rather conservative). Either it's going to be an exciting month, or there will be a lot of disappointed MacRumors readers...

Bengt77
Sep 5, 2006, 10:44 AM
Read on and be wowed:
Darn! That article indeed wowed me. Not only what it says, but also (and that is a Good Thing™) the way it says it. The writing style really sucks you in the article. Of course, the products it 'promises' do help to raise the interest meter.

But, all in all, really good article. :)

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 10:46 AM
Appleinsider is indeed putting out a lot of info.
Thats the scary part..
Could well be Apple is going after Appleinsider like it did with Thinksecret by "feeding it" tons of misleading info to get the "other rat"..

DudeDah
Sep 5, 2006, 10:53 AM
Let's hope the video streaming is less interupted than that of AirTunes.

ClimbingTheLog
Sep 5, 2006, 11:01 AM
So with those numbers, a 720p stream with 5.1 audio should easily stream over even a 10 mbit network device. So I can easily see this working over 802.11g.

Your numbers are good but you assume 10mbps is easy with 802.11g because they advertise '54mbps' on the box.

In practice, you see half of that max, right next to the access point, without protocol overhead.

By time you get half way across a typical house from Mac to TV, you're lucky to see 3-4mpbs. I've tried this using 5-600kbps codecs and current wireless just doesn't cut it outside the lab.

That kind of reduction ratio on 802.11n is going to be fine for h.264 streaming. Apple won't wait a whole 'nother year for the standards committees to get their act in gear. When the chipset manufacturers are certain the shipping silicon will handle the release spec, Apple will release a pre-n unit. The stuff that was on the shelves last year probably is going to wind up not being upgradeable to the standard, due to silicon changes, so they were wise to wait. The timing is right.

puuukeey
Sep 5, 2006, 11:08 AM
sounds logical but fake

vand0576
Sep 5, 2006, 11:32 AM
No one else has yet mentioned that the Airport Extreme is currently reflecting a 1-3 week shipping period (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=B842E400&nplm=M8799LL%2FA), while the Airport Express (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=7D88DA55&nplm=M9470LL%2FA) still says it will ship within 24 hours on the Apple Store Online. It would seem that it is the Extreme and not the Express to be getting the update.

aristobrat
Sep 5, 2006, 11:38 AM
Hopefully it's not the Extreme that gets the update because my cable modem is nowhere near my TV. ;)

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 11:40 AM
No one else has yet mentioned that the Airport Extreme is currently reflecting a 1-3 week shipping period (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=B842E400&nplm=M8799LL%2FA), while the Airport Express (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=7D88DA55&nplm=M9470LL%2FA) still says it will ship within 24 hours on the Apple Store Online. It would seem that it is the Extreme and not the Express to be getting the update.

The reason for the 1-3 week delay in the Extreme Base Station is due to the new European regulations on certain chemicals going into effect.

MattyMac
Sep 5, 2006, 11:57 AM
It's Showtime!

Wow...now I'm really excited:D

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 11:58 AM
I've been saying a video Airport is apple's best move for months now.

I think a streaming box makes more sense than a media center computer. A MC box is always going to be overpriced for a single purpose box. Why have hundreds of dollars worth of hardware tethered to a TV when you can have a cheap box on the TV and put your pricey computer anywhere in the house?

Makes even more sense if you have multiple TV's in the house - you can have one server box with the hard drives and as many cheaper TV stations all around the house (including things like bringing a laptop into the backyard).

I love my mini, and it's great for TV viewing...but I HATE leaving it hooked up to the TV all the time. The TV makes a terrible monitor for any other computer use, and I just don't want the computer in my TV room.

You're missing the point. Most people don't want their computer in the TV room. The TV makes a terrible monitor, and most people don't want it in that room (or have to have a computer monitor next to the TV). This allows having the computer wherever you want.

I don't want to buy a Mac Mini (and then pay twice for every subsequent release OS X).

I'm sure apple would like you to buy two upgrades, but does anyone really do that?

Read the article again, you missed the point. This isn't just a 802.11n box, it's a box that has VIDEO outs (plus hopefully a remote, and even Front Row). Do the belkin boxes do that? Don't think so.

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 12:00 PM
iLounge has received the same invitation (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-to-hold-showtime-event-on-september-12th/)

boxandrew
Sep 5, 2006, 12:04 PM
iLounge has received the same invitation (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-to-hold-showtime-event-on-september-12th/)

Looks like it's now for definite going to happen. Only one week to wait...

Spanky Deluxe
Sep 5, 2006, 12:05 PM
This sure does look interesting. I doubt an Airport replacement will be released just yet, not until the draft gets approved. Although it could explain the delayed Airport Express chips for the Mac Pros. An iTunes Movie service has been a definite since the big data centre was built a few months ago imo.

Macmaniac
Sep 5, 2006, 12:08 PM
OOOOOooo! The possibilites, I am really looking forward to this! Lets hope MR finds some way to get live coverage!

Mac Fly (film)
Sep 5, 2006, 12:11 PM
I knew it was true.

oootle
Sep 5, 2006, 12:12 PM
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2018

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 12:13 PM
I don't really get the point of wireless video unless you can somehow incorporate a pause feature into it. What am I going to do with the video if I have to answer the door or phone or go to the can or get a snack? Do I have to go to my computer and reset the video and hope that when it streams to the TV or whatever it's at the right spot? For me it would be much easier to just move the movie to my iPod, put the iPod in a dock with a remote and watch it that way. Unless maybe the new airport device has it's own remote! Now that might be interesting. :D
Hal

If they're going to do it, it needs to have a remote, and probably needs to have Front Row. And to REALLY do it right, they need to put the ability to buy movies (and music, and any other content) directly into Front Row, so you can buy a show straight from the TV and not have to walk to the computer.

PetMac
Sep 5, 2006, 12:15 PM
I want an iTunes Movie Store, but to me it would be a lot better if you had the choice between a $9.99 download and a $2 or $3 rental that expired after a couple days. I honestly don't buy very many movies at all, because I rarely watch a movie twice. I do like to rent them though, and anything that made that more convenient would be great.

I couldn't agree more. Steve was right when he said people don't want to rent their music, they want to own it. The opposite is true about movies. Besides who has that kind of HDD space? I almost never buy movies but we do use Netflix. How about a model just like that. A monthly fee based on how many active movies you can have a one time. You can watch them as long as you like but when you download another you have to give one up.

oootle
Sep 5, 2006, 12:15 PM
Apple have made it obvious this time, Movie Store on 12th September!

and maybe "one more thing"

jettredmont
Sep 5, 2006, 12:16 PM

-Squire

The Paris Expo is a redheaded stepchild, and hardly even acknowledged by Apple PR folks. ("We have two events per year, WWDC and MWSF." "And Paris Expo." "Paris what?")

Even if the iTMediaStore was to be US and France (which, I agree, is about 95% unlikely) they'd still not announce it at Paris. Apple has decided on two major events, and impromptu mini-events as announcements warrant. And Paris Expo is not on that list.

Personally, I see the timing of this event as a way of driving that point home in the press. Why would you go to Paris, when you might miss something really important coming out of Cupertino?

mazola
Sep 5, 2006, 12:17 PM
It'll wind up being a leather case for the Apple Remote (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6144003/wo/7Y7flo4AsURz2NOCZS61W2wPnre/1.0.19.1.0.8.25.7.11.3.3).

You heard it here first.

AidenShaw
Sep 5, 2006, 12:19 PM
The TV makes a terrible monitor for any other computer use, and I just don't want the computer in my TV room.
A current LCD or Plasma television with DVI or HDMI inputs can make an excellent computer monitor.

For example, the Samsung 46" and 40" LCDs are 1920x1080, with VGA and HDMI input. They are excellent monitors (we use them in some small conference rooms in lieu of projectors).

berkleeboy210
Sep 5, 2006, 12:24 PM
Think Steve will still have a beard?

I predict, if he doesn't we'll see a fullscreen ipod, if he does we won't lol :D

donlphi
Sep 5, 2006, 12:25 PM
Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be another device like the Apple hi-fi. What a let down that was!

So we will get movie service from iTunes, a new iPOD NANO with a metal scratchproof case, a new Airport extreme with Audio and Video OUT... no hi-def for sure... and a bump in processor speed for the whole line.

Am I really leaving anything out?

We'll see next week. The hype always just creates this big let down for me. Hopefully my negative attitude will bring me happiness, regardless of what is presented.

WHY SUCH A LONG WAIT???

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 12:27 PM
Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be another device like the Apple hi-fi. What a let down that was!

So we will get movie service from iTunes, a new iPOD NANO with a metal scratchproof case, a new Airport extreme with Audio and Video OUT... no hi-def for sure... and a bump in processor speed for the whole line.

Am I really leaving anything out?

We'll see next week. The hype always just creates this big let down for me. Hopefully my negative attitude will bring me happiness, regardless of what is presented.

WHY SUCH A LONG WAIT???

Steve likes to see people squirm..:p

Prediction :

iMovie Store
True Video iPod
23" iMac
Speed bumps

"One More Thing"

That media device we've been watching for.

p0intblank
Sep 5, 2006, 12:28 PM
It's Showtime.

That definitely means movies, no doubts! :D

cadillaccactus
Sep 5, 2006, 12:30 PM
Think Steve will still have a beard?

I predict, if he doesn't we'll see a fullscreen ipod, if he does we won't lol :D

This is precisely the kind of reconassiance that rumor websites should be providing. We need to start making serious wagers on the hygenic habits of Apple employees, it is the natural progression of product rumors. I'm talking about sitting in a smokey room, piling cash in the center of a table, greasy hair and big rings type of wagering. I'm talking fantasy rumor line ups.

poppe
Sep 5, 2006, 12:32 PM
So no mermom MBP's on September 12 then?

prady16
Sep 5, 2006, 12:35 PM
I am betting on iPhone!

Compile 'em all
It'll wind up being a leather case for the Apple Remote (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6144003/wo/7Y7flo4AsURz2NOCZS61W2wPnre/1.0.19.1.0.8.25.7.11.3.3).

You heard it here first.

LMAO :D :eek:

gugy
by the invitation I would predict (or maybe wishful thinking) :D :

Itunes Movie Store
New Airport xpress with video capabilities.
new Front Row with DVR capability (that would be really nice)
device to connect cable TV to the Mac (ala Elgato)
Maybe new IPOD video widescreen.

freeny
Sep 5, 2006, 12:39 PM
I believe Apple has been waiting for all the planets to align. If there is going to be a movie service there will be a true "video iPod".

They were whipped in the ass last time for the boom box release, they will be looking to gain back face this time around.

ClimbingTheLog
Sep 5, 2006, 12:40 PM

That makes sense if Apple is going 802.11n-draft. The Extreme needs -N support so the mystery box has something to talk to.

cadillaccactus
Sep 5, 2006, 12:41 PM
i just picked up 30 shares of AAPL. i have a very strong outlook on the next 6 months.

ripfrankwhite
Sep 5, 2006, 12:45 PM
i just picked up 30 shares of AAPL. i have a very strong outlook on the next 6 months.

Gonna need a few more shares to make any money, but good effort. ;)

DwightSchrute
Sep 5, 2006, 12:47 PM
I hope they don't update the MB. Even though I know I'll be happy with the one I'm getting I would hate to get it and then have them update it less than a week later.

freeny
Sep 5, 2006, 12:48 PM
If the stock goes up $10 he'll have himself a free ipod. not all that bad.

slffl
Sep 5, 2006, 12:48 PM
I don't know about this video streaming device. Let's see, first I use a powerbook. If I'm in the bedroom I just watch it on the laptop. If I'm in the TV room, I have a DVD player and Tivo. I'm not sure who they're going after with this. Now if you can wirelessly stream from an ipod to the device, that might be interesting, especially if the 'client' pieces were cheap, you could hook one to every tv in the house.

conradzoo
Sep 5, 2006, 12:50 PM
Well, well, so if they do movies then can I please have a higher bitrate on my iTunes songs? I mean talkng about bandwith, songs are nothing in comparison to movies.

So again, please a higher bitrate on songs.

cheers:o

cadillaccactus
Sep 5, 2006, 12:51 PM

30 more shares. and dont be a dick. ;)

ripfrankwhite
Sep 5, 2006, 12:54 PM
If the stock goes up $10 he'll have himself a free ipod. not all that bad.

$10 !!??? :eek: It's already at $70. It won't go up much more. But good luck, and I hope it does.

ripfrankwhite
Sep 5, 2006, 12:55 PM
30 more shares. and dont be a dick. ;)

Name calling? LOL! :rolleyes:

Cinch
Sep 5, 2006, 12:56 PM
attempts to unify the TV and the computer have been done for the last 15 years or so without success. I give Apple a less then 10% success. Even if they succeed, the definition of success here is greatly compromise to a point of failure.

Cinch

ripfrankwhite
Sep 5, 2006, 01:00 PM
attempts to unify the TV and the computer have been done for the last 15 years or so without success. I give Apple a less then 10% success. Even if they succeed, the definition of success here is greatly compromise to a point of failure.

Cinch

But with every attempt, the chance of success increases significantly. Lets keep our fingers crossed. :)

freeny
Sep 5, 2006, 01:00 PM
$10 !!??? :eek: It's already at $70. It won't go up much more. But good luck, and I hope it does.
I bought at $50 and it went up to $80+ in only a few months. It could happen....

vand0576
Sep 5, 2006, 01:03 PM
The reason for the 1-3 week delay in the Extreme Base Station is due to the new European regulations on certain chemicals going into effect.

But the online store that I linked to (www.apple.com/store) reflects products that are sold for U.S. customers. What are European regulations going to do in the States?

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 01:05 PM
But the online store that I linked to (www.apple.com/store) reflects products that are sold for U.S. customers. What are European regulations going to do in the States?

Because Apple has to redesign the Airport Extreme.

They cant make one for the U.S. and another for Europe.;)

It's the same for the firewire iSight.

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 01:05 PM
A current LCD or Plasma television with DVI or HDMI inputs can make an excellent computer monitor.

I'm sure they do. But I'm totally fine with the TV I have, I'm not the tiniest bit interested in upgrading, especially considering what the new stuff costs.

And I'd still have a keyboard and mouse in my living room, and I'd have to pull up a chair or strain my eyes from my sofa on the other side of the room. I've tried it, and I don't really like it, at least not for any uses other than just watching TV.

Sounds like the predictions of mp3 player success for apple. They already have a precedent for entering a marketplace that isn't going anywhere and pretty much single handedly getting it to take off.

Cinch
Sep 5, 2006, 01:06 PM
But with every attempt, the chance of success increases significantly. Lets keep our fingers crossed. :)

I think a simpler explanation is that certain things are never meant to be together.

Video on demand are NetFlix currently fill the niche, if there is a niche. Whatever Apple do, it has to be simple and easy i.e. it doesn't require lots of thinking..a lazy person can operate. This is the living room not the office where I don't care to navigate my computer to search for movies to watch.

Cinch

asphalt-proof
Sep 5, 2006, 01:10 PM
All I know is, I will be buying whatever it is they have for sale.

I want one of each:D

I said that last time and balked at the Leather iPod case and BOOMbox. :rolleyes:

This has to be better. Right? Right?

Sep 5, 2006, 01:11 PM
It will be either one of two things:

1 - ONLY the iTMS Movie Store and perhaps updated Nanos;

2 - The BIG ONE, the EARTHQUAKE we've been all waiting for...

2a - iTMS Movie Store;
2b - updated Nanos and iPods;
2c - 23" iMac Special DVR Edition with Merom;
2d - Wireless music sharing device for the Nanos as shown by the FCC filing;
see https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=661453&native_or_pdf=pdf
2e - Updated MBs and MBPs.

Oh boy...better burn my credit card... ;)

bommai
Sep 5, 2006, 01:13 PM

Cinch

Why require a computer (in the traditional sense) in the living room? I think that is the reason media center computers are not selling like hot cakes. There is no reason for a full blown computer in the living room. However, a stripped down hardware with a stripped down Mac OS X with a different UI and just a remote control could be the ticket. This box could still have Bonjour, ethernet, etc but you cannot type your email in this. Separate devices for separate job.

This is where Microsoft dropped the ball - Media centers are too complicated, blue screen of death, memory leaks, etc.

Do you know a Tivo is a computer? It has a microprocessor and runs Linux. However, they don't try to make it a computer. That is why their idea has caught on.

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 01:13 PM
It will be either one of two things:

1 - ONLY the iTMS Movie Store and perhaps updated Nanos;

2 - The BIG ONE, the EARTHQUAKE we've been all waiting for...

2a - iTMS Movie Store;
2b - updated Nanos and iPods;
2c - 23" iMac Special DVR Edition with Merom;
2d - Wireless music sharing device for the Nanos as shown by the FCC filing;
2e - Updated MBs and MBPs.

Oh boy...better burn my credit card... ;)

The planets are aligning.This IS the big one!

ripfrankwhite
Sep 5, 2006, 01:15 PM
The planets are aligning.This IS the big one!

*(fingers crossed)* Oh, please, oh please, oh please...:D

vand0576
Sep 5, 2006, 01:17 PM
Because Apple has to redesign the Airport Extreme.

They cant make one for the U.S. and another for Europe.;)

It's the same for the firewire iSight.

I would figure in the meantime they would continue to sell products in areas that they are not restricted. Oh well.

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 01:19 PM
I would figure in the meantime they would continue to sell products in areas that they are not restricted. Oh well.

They would.If you've checked out the iSight it has a ship date of October.

My guess is they stopped making them in order to redesign them.And since they have to redesign them why not make them better.wink...wink...nudge...nudge..;)

BornAgainMac
Sep 5, 2006, 01:20 PM
Do you know a Tivo is a computer? It has a microprocessor and runs Linux. However, they don't try to make it a computer. That is why their idea has caught on.

I agree. For the mainstream market.

I don't mind having the more complex Microsoft solution (I have EyeTV) but Microsoft Media Center PC doesn't let me use it's media interface to play my songs on iTunes or play my Quicktime movies. Also it couldn't work with my iPod. It seems to be only Microsoft only files. That was the deal killer for me. I didn't mind the overly complex remote or the Windows virus operating system.

Dr.Gargoyle
Sep 5, 2006, 01:21 PM
An iTunes Movie service has been a definite since the big data centre was built a few months ago imo.
It was bought...

mi5moav
A super cool video camera. Please, Please, how are we supposed to get our stuff on youtube or movietube. You could make video with an apple videocamera, edit on a mac then upload to Apple movietube and then sell your movie/short for $2.99 and Apple would get $1.99 profit and I would get 99 cents for the millions that buy it WEEEEEHOOOOOO.

Welcome MovieTube & Quicktake HD

macman2790
I'm really hoping for merom in mbp's and mb's. The wait has been killing me.

Cameront9
Sep 5, 2006, 01:22 PM
My question is, will the movies have subtitles/captioning. As a hearing impaired user, that's the deal breaker for me. If they do have captioning, I can see myself purchasing a few movies once in a while (Though I'd still rather have DVDs most of the time). If not, no way.

donlphi
Sep 5, 2006, 01:24 PM
Is a streaming box really what you want? I mean, it's one thing to connect my airport express to my bose stereo system and let it play a playlist from my computer in my office, but if we have a streaming video, we still have to go to our office and start the video from the other room. If that's the case, I might as well move my computer to my living room.

They will have to have something that allows you to access your audio and video files with a remote. Maybe an aiport express with a remote control and user interface similar, but better than frontrow.

Right now a mac mini can do all of the things you need it to. You can stream video from another computer on the network, you can connect it to your T.V. and stereo. What would be the point of a new airport extreme if for $200 more you can get an entire compuer.

just some random thoughts...

boxandrew
Sep 5, 2006, 01:26 PM
My question is, will the movies have subtitles/captioning. As a hearing impaired user, that's the deal breaker for me. If they do have captioning, I can see myself purchasing a few movies once in a while (Though I'd still rather have DVDs most of the time). If not, no way.

I've been wondering this ever since the TV shows started coming out. And it's not only a big problem for hearing impaired users... it also means that you can't watch foreign films in the original language.

MacSamurai
Sep 5, 2006, 01:27 PM
OH PLEEASE let it be the phone...i need a new one now!!!

joemama
Sep 5, 2006, 01:31 PM
Any chance of new monitors as well? I am in the market and was just about to buy a Dell and thought maybe I should wait a week...

Ganymede
Sep 5, 2006, 01:34 PM

I've been hoping for this for a long, long time. I would love for this to be in the cards, but it just seems too different from iTMS to be announced. But hope springs eternal....

cr2sh
Sep 5, 2006, 01:34 PM
Hah... this is so funny.

Apple sends out invites that seem to indicate a moviestore, rumors abound about new nanos... and what do the forums turn into:

"I hope they release a phone."

"New macbooks please!"

"Apple DVR!"

:confused: :o

Where do they come up with this stuff?

crees!
Sep 5, 2006, 01:36 PM
Apple seems to agree with you. They want you to buy lifestyle products that complement your Mac and the iLife apps, as opposed to a sepearte 'Media Center' type hardware.
Yes, and watch that be a beefed up version of Front Row. But, then what would our Microsuck friends use?

joeboy_45101
Sep 5, 2006, 01:45 PM
This is great; I can't wait to see what goodies they will bring out.
:D

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 01:53 PM

That, and they keep the cost low by subsidizing it with subscriptions. A box for sale has to be cheap, and a device that just streams video, no hard drive at all, could be even cheaper than a tivo.

Is a streaming box really what you want? I mean, it's one thing to connect my airport express to my bose stereo system and let it play a playlist from my computer in my office, but if we have a streaming video, we still have to go to our office and start the video from the other room. If that's the case, I might as well move my computer to my living room.

They will have to have something that allows you to access your audio and video files with a remote. Maybe an aiport express with a remote control and user interface similar, but better than frontrow.

Right now a mac mini can do all of the things you need it to. You can stream video from another computer on the network, you can connect it to your T.V. and stereo. What would be the point of a new airport extreme if for $200 more you can get an entire compuer.

just some random thoughts...

A streaming box is DEFINITELY what I want. I assume they will have a remote available for this, not having one would be a deal breaker and I doubt they'd release this half baked.

A mini can do this, but starting at $599, it's going to be more than $200 more than an airport video. And I'd much rather have my mini somewhere else in the house so I don't have to try and read the menus on my NTSC TV, or have a monitor next to my TV.

FreeState
Sep 5, 2006, 01:58 PM
Hah... this is so funny.
Apple sends out invites that seem to indicate a moviestore, rumors abound about new nanos... and what do the forums turn into:
"I hope they release a phone."
"New macbooks please!"
"Apple DVR!"
:confused: :o
Where do they come up with this stuff?

Yeah just wait until tuesday when the whining starts because apple did not release new versions of everything and new products to make everyone and their grandmother happy. It happens every time.

evilgEEk
Sep 5, 2006, 02:01 PM
Exactly. If this device has a Front Row-like interface with a remote control, etc.. then I'm in, because that's what I've been waiting on for years.

Now, if it's simply an updated Airport Express that now allows you to stream movies but you still have to use your computer do send the files through (AirTunes) then I'll pass. I really don't think they would do it this way though, or at least I hope not.

I'm ready to give Apple a lot of my money right now (updated mini, iPhone, new video "device"), but now they just need to release the products. ;)

dernhelm
Sep 5, 2006, 02:22 PM
Now, if it's simply an updated Airport Express that now allows you to stream movies but you still have to use your computer do send the files through (AirTunes) then I'll pass. I really don't think they would do it this way though, or at least I hope not.

Plan on being dissapointed. That's pretty much what they'll release. The device will front-end your television, and might (if you are lucky) support component video or DVI, but most likely just composite video. It will probably have a front-row like interface and a remote that can work with it, but it will be incapable of storing any content. The mac will store the content, this device will simply make it available to a TV in any room in your house. Pair it up with a mac mini, and you have a pretty inexpensive solution for downloading TV or Movie content and watching it on your TV.

Myself, I think this could be VERY cool. But I don't spend a lot of time watching TV. If they do it right, I could cancel my NetFlix subscription, though. It just depends on the amount of content.

dernhelm
Sep 5, 2006, 02:23 PM
Yeah just wait until tuesday when the whining starts because apple did not release new versions of everything and new products to make everyone and their grandmother happy. It happens every time.

That's what keeps me coming back! <evil grin>

macfan70
Sep 5, 2006, 02:42 PM
Well, what ever comes out, I hope it's not some upgrade or revamp. I wish Apple really does Think Different and releases new hardware that will make us say " That really is something new. "

But, updates are always welcome.;)

APPLENEWBIE
Sep 5, 2006, 02:44 PM
It's Showtime. Obvious reference to movies. What do (consumers) want? What does apple like to sell? HARDWARE. Steve will introduce some sort of on-line movie service. I have no idea what it will be, other than different from other options. To me, the on-line movie store is not a bit sexy.

What will be sexy are the other three devices he will introduce that will use that service...

1) True Video iPod. With some sort of wireless transfer method. There is no point in on-line service (for apple) if it ain't mobile.

2) The Apple Movie Machine, probably looking a lot like a Mini, to interface wirelessly to your computer with your TV seamlessly, using an improved Front Row. It will have DVR capability and ability to work with streamed high quality video from iTunes movie store.

3) 23" iMac with a TV tuner, and the ability to pickup streamed movies from the ITunes movie store, and built-in DVR capacity upon which to view those nice movies.

HecubusPro
Sep 5, 2006, 03:03 PM
I'm really hoping for merom in mbp's and mb's. The wait has been killing me.

Same here. I really want a new C2D MBP, but since all of this info about the iMac, movie store, nano, etc. has been taking the spotlight, the C2D laptop information has come to a near stop.

Will we now be forced to wait longer than September. I still doubt it, but the quiet on this front the past week has been alarming to me.

peharri
Sep 5, 2006, 03:09 PM

God I hope not. If Apple announces a phone, and I have shares, I'll sell them. Apple Phone = Apple Irrelevance.

Anyway, I think too much of the focus is on the technical details of this mysterious Airport Express box. I'm wondering if Apple's "Big New Thing" isn't so much the gadgets, but the notion of entertainment moving from being something you have shovelled to you from your cable/satellite guy, to a true a la carte system, delivered via the Internet.

What's interesting about the rumours are that they point at products and services that build an infrastructure for something, not products that are particularly interesting by themselves. I can stream media to TVs already (albeit with cables.) I can buy movies, hell, the pr0n industry has pretty much pioneered in this realm and made the concept provable. Less controvertially, there have been attempts to sell movies online serveral times over the last few years. These are all products that already exist.

Apple's products may well actually turn this into a general collection of concepts into a major new drive, in much the same way as DVDs have changed the way we watch TV, and DVRs, and, indeed, twenty-thirty years ago, cable and satellite did.

It'll be interesting to see if they succeed. Don't be surprised if most of the coverage after the event is negative. The real test will be in the coming years.

jettredmont
Sep 5, 2006, 03:10 PM
So, any bets on the new name for Airport Extreme?

My bets:

Airport Super K-Rad
Airport Gnarly Waves
Airport Excellent
Airport 3: Direct to Video!

JGowan
Sep 5, 2006, 03:12 PM
I honestly don't buy very many movies at all, because I rarely watch a movie twice. I do like to rent them though, and anything that made that more convenient would be great.NetFlix! I've received 25 movies since the first one shipped July 24th! Incredible turnaround time! I'm on the 3-@-a-time plan. Honestly, if you don't want to watch more than once, just join Netflix! I'm glad I did.

damienvfx
Sep 5, 2006, 03:14 PM
If I am forced to watch ANY commercials on the iTunes movie downloads, then I'll never use it, ever. Bad enough I spend $10 to go to a theater to have the same mazda zoom zoom zoom/coke and a smile crap every time.

Sep 5, 2006, 03:15 PM
It's Showtime. Obvious reference to movies. What do (consumers) want? What does apple like to sell? HARDWARE. Steve will introduce some sort of on-line movie service. I have no idea what it will be, other than different from other options. To me, the on-line movie store is not a bit sexy.

What will be sexy are the other three devices he will introduce that will use that service...

1) True Video iPod. With some sort of wireless transfer method. There is no point in on-line service (for apple) if it ain't mobile.

2) The Apple Movie Machine, probably looking a lot like a Mini, to interface wirelessly to your computer with your TV seamlessly, using an improved Front Row. It will have DVR capability and ability to work with streamed high quality video from iTunes movie store.

3) 23" iMac with a TV tuner, and the ability to pickup streamed movies from the ITunes movie store, and built-in DVR capacity upon which to view those nice movies.

Indeed it is. Microsoft is simply DEAD after 12th of September...Apple is finally gonna reach the status of market leader in media and computers...this is gonna be mindblowing.

brepublican
Sep 5, 2006, 03:19 PM
If I am forced to watch ANY commercials on the iTunes movie downloads, then I'll never use it, ever. Bad enough I spend $10 to go to a theater to have the same mazda zoom zoom zoom/coke and a smile crap every time.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I dont see Apple going this route, though I do understand that it can represent a substantial stream of revenue. I think that the Media store will simply act to fuel demand for a media device, much like the iTMS - iPod setup, from which Apple doesnt make a lot of money (Music Store)

jettredmont
Sep 5, 2006, 03:20 PM

This is a situation dying for a solution. Oh, yeah, there already is one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CableCARD

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 03:20 PM

Why would they do commercials? Commercials only make sense if they give you content for free. Has anyone done home viewing of movies for a fee and still included commercials (other than movie trailers)?

balamw
Sep 5, 2006, 03:25 PM
Why would they do commercials? Commercials only make sense if they give you content for free. Has anyone done home viewing of movies for a fee and still included commercials (other than movie trailers)?
As damienvfx suggestes there are plenty of commercials beyond trailers when you go out to the movies these days, which can easily be a $50+ affair, so why expect to be ad-free...

There have also been some ads (albeit more like trailers) tacked on th the end of some shows I have bought on iTMS.

B

dongmin
Sep 5, 2006, 03:28 PM
If I am forced to watch ANY commercials on the iTunes movie downloads, then I'll never use it, ever. Bad enough I spend $10 to go to a theater to have the same mazda zoom zoom zoom/coke and a smile crap every time.None of iTMS's current video content has any commercials. Why would you expect anything different for features?

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 03:28 PM
As damienvfx suggestes there are plenty of commercials beyond trailers when you go out to the movies these days, which can easily be a $50+ affair, so why expect to be ad-free...

There have also been some ads (albeit more like trailers) tacked on th the end of some shows I have bought on iTMS.

But as I said, for HOME viewing, is there a precedent for ads?

What ads have you seen on iTunes shows? Were they for other shows, or for other products?

balamw
Sep 5, 2006, 03:33 PM
None of iTMS's current video content has any commercials. Why would you expect anything different for features?
I beg to differ. Various episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse I have bought have had ads/trailers for other Playhouse Disney shows (Little Einsteins, Higglytown Heroes) tacked on to the end of the show. I just checked my iPod and they added two minutes of ads to then end of a 24 minute show.

EDIT: FWIW I know that it's not Apple who put the ads there, it's Disney, but that doesn't change the fact that the files took 8% longer to download and are 8% larger on my HDD because they included 2 minutes of ads in each episode I bought for $2 and they don't offer a season pass. :mad:

B

cadillaccactus
Sep 5, 2006, 03:57 PM
But as I said, for HOME viewing, is there a precedent for ads?

certainly not if you own the content. cds don't have ads, but radio does.

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 04:00 PM
certainly not if you own the content. cds don't have ads, but radio does.

And DVD's don't have ads even if you rent them (other than trailers, which is pretty standard).

TheManOfSilver
Sep 5, 2006, 04:27 PM

I can skip the Video iPod for now, but I'm seriously hoping for exactly what you have for #2 and #3. I'm due for a return to the mac (I've been stuck in a PC-only world for school for the past few years) and my DVD player went belly-up last month, and I've been delaying replacing it, preferring to get a DVD-burner with HD. If Apple comes out with the big iMac and Living room wonder next week, I'll be upgrading just as soon as Leopard comes preinstalled (although the movie machine might come first).:cool:

HecubusPro
Sep 5, 2006, 04:40 PM
Indeed it is. Microsoft is simply DEAD after 12th of September...Apple is finally gonna reach the status of market leader in media and computers...this is gonna be mindblowing.

How long after September 12th? Certainly not anytime in the forseeable future. I wouldn't even dare to speculate on such a reversal of fortune for a company like Microsoft.

Personally, I wouldn't want Apple to be that big. It's easier to lose sight of quality when your userbase is pretty much the entire world. That's not to say Apple wouldn't do it better than Microsoft, but since Apple's install base has grown, so has the problems with their products. Of course, that's just simple numbers (of which I really suck :) .) Perhaps the percentage has always been the same, but on the surface, it doesn't seem like that is the case. There are a lot of people complaining about random shut-downs on their macbooks.

balamw
Sep 5, 2006, 04:43 PM
And DVD's don't have ads even if you rent them (other than trailers, which is pretty standard).
The recent Peter Jackson version of King Kong had a "special feature" that was little else but an ad for the VW Touareg. This kind of prouct-placement/cross-marketing is becoming more prevalent, and plenty of Disney movies I have bought recently come with inserts in the DVD case that are ads for minivans, junk food, books, etc... etc...

B

APPLENEWBIE
Sep 5, 2006, 04:45 PM

I think MS might just survive, since they have 95% of the PC market, a big hunk of the game console market, some pretty good peripherals (mice/keyboards) and the world beating (for better or worse) office suite... I'm not getting out my shovel just yet.

JGowan
Sep 5, 2006, 05:14 PM
I've seen some posts about transferring "that much data" in disbelief. I calculate that a two hour movie will no more about 450MB. I hope it is, of course. This is based on a 1-hr episode of Lost is about 200MB. I fudge in 50MB for the fact that each Lost episode never is EXACTLY 1 hour.

I can transfer that size (450MB) from my ReplayTV wirelessly to my PowerBook in less than a half hour with my Airport Extreme Basestation.

So... I see no problem. Perhaps the show will be delayed a little but not more than a few minutes

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 05:19 PM
I've seen some posts about transferring "that much data" in disbelief. I calculate that a two hour movie will no more about 450MB. I hope it is, of course. This is based on a 1-hr episode of Lost is about 200MB. I fudge in 50MB for the fact that each Lost episode never is EXACTLY 1 hour.

I can transfer that size (450MB) from my ReplayTV wirelessly to my PowerBook in less than a half hour with my Airport Extreme Basestation.

So... I see no problem. Perhaps the show will be delayed a little but not more than a few minutes

Lost runs about 42 minutes, so more like 600 meg. And you're assuming they'll ship movies at 320x240, which I doubt. If they up the quality to anything approaching DVD, file sizes will go way up. But I still think a well implemented wireless solution should be able to keep up, people are doing it already.

balamw
Sep 5, 2006, 05:20 PM
This is based on a 1-hr episode of Lost is about 200MB.
You're assuming that the resolution (and thus bitrate) will remain the same. I hope this isn't the case since 320x240 is fine for TV, but for movies I'd like at least 720x480 (DVD quality) or 1280x720 (720p) which means 4-9x as many bits.

You get some advantage from the codec, so a 4x file can only be 2x as big, but pretty soon you're talking about gigs of data.

B

macfan881
Sep 5, 2006, 05:26 PM
my predictions for the 12

Video airport express with 8021n
Aiport Basestation 8021n
6 and 10 gig nanos
23 inch imac
maybe 120 gig ipod video
Disney movies for download with all of pixar movies being availble at launch and special preorder for cars

one more thing.... new mac core 2 duo versions of both macbooks and mac mini

Apple Corps
Sep 5, 2006, 06:46 PM
HecubusPro:

"C2D laptop information has come to a near stop"

Based on all of our POOR experience it is obvious that little real information on the Merom based MBP exists. I do not want to admit to all of the time I have wasted on this decision / upgrade. A new notebook is needed within a week - I can not bring myself to by a Yonah since I've waited this long - but............

Now - the next Tuesday (hahahahahahahahahaha) - 9/12 - then what:mad:

poppe
Sep 5, 2006, 08:54 PM
HecubusPro:

"C2D laptop information has come to a near stop"

Based on all of our POOR experience it is obvious that little real information on the Merom based MBP exists. I do not want to admit to all of the time I have wasted on this decision / upgrade. A new notebook is needed within a week - I can not bring myself to by a Yonah since I've waited this long - but............

Now - the next Tuesday (hahahahahahahahahaha) - 9/12 - then what:mad:

I've heard speculation of fricken october... So much for us all waiting if it doesnt come out next week...