PDA

View Full Version : 'It's Showtime': September 12th, 2006

MacRumors
Sep 5, 2006, 01:44 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/09/05/its-showtime-september-12th-2006/)

Several news outlets are confirming (http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/09/05/showtime/index.php) the media event that Apple is holding on September 12th 2006.

More details of the event were released today when Apple sent out invitations to select media members. The invites says "It's Showtime":

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2006/09/Apple_showtime2-1.jpg
First word of the event leaked out (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060831122800.shtml) on August 31st, with multiple reports of a media event to be held in San Francisco. Today, the digital invitations were sent out confirming the event and setting a time and place.

The announcements will take place at 10:00am Pacific time at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in downtown San Francisco. Based on the title of the invitation, it appears likely that the long rumored Movie Store will finally be released.

Businessweek recently provided (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060831122800.shtml) some early details of the service, which they claim to offer movies from $9.99-$14.99. Meanwhile, Appleinsider feels (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/09/20060904194920.shtml) a new video streaming device will also be introduced. Meanwhile, Core 2 Duo iMacs (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/09/20060901123538.shtml) and new iPods (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/09/20060904073025.shtml) are also expected.

If you have access to this media event, please contact us (mailto:webmaster@macrumors.com?Subject=Showtime Event).

Article Link: 'It's Showtime': September 12th, 2006 (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/09/05/its-showtime-september-12th-2006/)

twoodcc
Sep 5, 2006, 01:45 PM
wow. well this confirms it then. man this is gonna be a long week of waiting

Chimera
Sep 5, 2006, 01:46 PM
My nano is already on eBay awaiting a nice metal clad 8GB version, I hope they do an andonised black one though to match my other gadgets.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Yeah... yeah... Movies for the American audience...

...I don't even get TV shows... :(

Josias
Extreme! I really hope for hi-quality movies, and not just 640x480. A new line-up would be nice too. :D

yoda13
Sep 5, 2006, 01:49 PM
I hope for good quality movies too. What is realistically the limit on quality that they can implement and still have it be manageable with a normal average speed broadband connection? Just curious.

WildCowboy
Sep 5, 2006, 01:49 PM
Yerba Buena's going to be a busy place on Tuesday...the American Chemical Society is having a meeting at the Moscone Center next week with over 12,000 people in attendance. I'll have a friend in town for the meeting, so maybe I'll snoop around YPCFA and see what's up. Maybe the walls are thin enough that I can just put my ear up to them...

prady16
Sep 5, 2006, 01:50 PM
I expect upgrades to the laptops, iMac, and Mini. Also, there is a good chance of introducing either a iPhone or a iHome.
iTunes Movie Store is certain, although it would be interesting to note how apple goes about selling movies (like the resolution, download times, pricing etc.)

Spanky Deluxe
Sep 5, 2006, 01:51 PM
New iMacs and Mac Minis imo. Those don't require anything changed apart from a processor swap since they're socketed. I'd give the Macbook Pros and MacBooks a while longer before we see an update.

Edit: If they don't up the quality of the movies to the base HD spec of 720p then they may as well not bother. I'd rather go and buy the DVDs. The only way I'd be tempted to purchase via iTunes would be if the quality I could get would be higher. I don't care if it takes a while to download.

Chundles
Sep 5, 2006, 01:51 PM
Quoted from an older thread that has been left behind:

iLounge have an invitation: Definitely new iPods of some form
"Centre for the Arts Theatre": Most likely some sort of movie content
iLounge have an invitation: Consumer event, new iMacs most likely.

I get the feeling the purported MacBook Pro updates are going to happen externally to this event, most probably when Apple can get enough into the distribution pipeline to begin immediate shipping.

So, I'm going to make a bold prediction here and say that it will be similar to last year's "One More Thing..." event but with a focus on "Bigger."

Act One: Last year was the iMac with built-in iSight and Front Row/Photo Booth software. This year it all gets bigger with new Core 2 Duo iMacs now in 17", 20" and 23" models. All models get HDMI-in ports and Front Row gains a "TV" option. No PVR functionality, no worrying about differing TV formats and delivery systems, if you have a box with HDMI-out you can watch TV on your iMac too.

Act Two: Last year it was the sales of iPod, iTunes Music Store and iPod accessories. This year, with the focus on "bigger" Apple announce the availability of feature-length movies on iTunes. iTunes 7 makes use of new Bit-Torrent style downloads from servers all over the world to ensure rapid download speeds, H.264 encoding allows for the smallest possible file size. $9.99 for DVD quality, $14.99 for HD.

Act Three: Last year was the new 5th generation iPod. This year we go "bigger" with the new 6th generation iPod sporting a 4.5" full-colour LCD screen at a resolution of 720x480. Incredible screen, more detail than ever before and you are able to download your iTunes-purchased movies onto it and watch them in bright, sharp, full colour. Available in 40GB and 80GB models and sporting a revolutionary new touch-control interface with hints of Apple's Front Row software the new iPod is shipping today.

Rip me apart if you will, I don't think Apple should make an iPhone. The global mobile phone system is too complex. The US are only just getting 3G whilst we're all looking down the road at 4G but that is Apple's biggest market. Maybe a US-only iPhone will appear but as it stands, other more-established phone makers have the market sorted globally.

MacBook Pro to be updated when Core 2 Duo production hits peak. Late September.

Comments?

Somebody cast doubt on the HDMI thing, I don't know - just seemed like the easiest option to get video into an iMac. You don't have to worry about all the different methods of getting TV (free to air, digital, cable) because if you have a HDMI-enabled receiver it would just plug into the back of the iMac. You'd need to use the receiver's remote to do all the channel changing but Apple could offer some sort of recording program. EyeHome could do something with it too? I'm no expert, just trying to look at a simple solution for a complicated, fragmented problem.

powerbuddy
Sep 5, 2006, 01:52 PM
9.99? you can rent movies from Mlink or Cinemanow for 4.99 or DVR's from 3.99. Just stupid if we dont keep to buy and keep the movie for that price.

mrgreen4242
Sep 5, 2006, 01:54 PM
Well fudge. I've been holding off on getting an Airport Express for literally a year, waiting for an AV version. I finally had to get one when I moved (no cable drop in the office at new house, so needed a wireless router) and then like 2 weeks later they release the AV model. Bastards.

Oh well, probably can't afford one anyways - seeing as the AE w/ AirTunes is still $100. Does Apple price match refurb hardware? I'm assuming the AE price will drop when they release the AV model.

Hmmm, I might be able to talk my wife into letting me get one for the theatre room if I can make it send cable TV up there too... Have to wait and see what the product actually is.

Also, $10-15 for a d/l movies is a ripoff. Unless they are going to do HD quality movies at $15, DVDs will remain a much better value. Now, HD download service, with an affordable playback mechanism, at $15 per movie they will clean up... SD though? Forget about it.

IJ Reilly
Sep 5, 2006, 01:54 PM
Yerba Buena's going to be a busy place on Tuesday...the American Chemical Society is having a meeting at the Moscone Center next week with over 12,000 people in attendance. I'll have a friend in town for the meeting, so maybe I'll snoop around YPCFA and see what's up. Maybe the walls are thin enough that I can just put my ear up to them...

Careful, Steve has them run 12,000 kv through those walls for Apple events.

AAPL is making a nice advance on this news, up about $2 this afternoon. Looks like the markets have been waiting for Apple to get into this business.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=AAPL

BenRoethig
Sep 5, 2006, 01:57 PM
This could be either really big or really bad. Either way, I don't see it going over to well without a burn to DVD option. It also needs a settop media mac. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how everything develops. Good thing I'll be in Milwaukee on the 12th. I might want to go to Mayfair to see how everything went.

nagromme
Sep 5, 2006, 01:59 PM
A start to movie downloads is for sure.

But anything else might be postponed, so we must try to remain calm :)

(It's all the OTHER rumors that interest me more. I highly doubt that iTunes movies will meet my standards at first--though I'm happy to see a step in that direction. If they're less than DVD quality they'd better be close AND very cheap. And until the selection rivals Netflix it won't see much use from me.)

Re Core 2 Duo

The iMac may get the headline (if a larger size is truly coming) but they could well update iMacs AND MacBook Pros simultaneously. Makes a good announcement that way.

Chundles
Sep 5, 2006, 02:00 PM
The biggest "movie related" release from Apple on that day down here will probably be an exclusive music video from Bob Dylan.

Carn Apple, get your finger out and get international TV shows up and running.

puuukeey
Sep 5, 2006, 02:03 PM
Good move but I bet its riddled with DRM:mad:

Chupa Chupa
Sep 5, 2006, 02:04 PM
So this tells us as much as we already knew really, only confirms the movie service. Now the question is...is the service for streaming to your home TV via a new set top box or is this service for the iPod...or both.

I don't see how Apple can legitimately sell the service for iPod unless they are going to come out with a WS iPod. The novelty of watching video on the iPods 2" screen has worn off.

That said...glad I sold both my 4gb nano and the 2 giger I got with the Mac to School promo. A black anodized nano would be cool. Just hope they come out with some male colors. The iPod mini colors were so fraking wimpy.

Chundles
Sep 5, 2006, 02:05 PM
Good move but I bet its riddled with DRM:mad:

It would have to be otherwise the studios won't agree to it.

amols
Sep 5, 2006, 02:06 PM
Also, $10-15 for a d/l movies is a ripoff. Unless they are going to do HD quality movies at $15, DVDs will remain a much better value.

I agree. I'd rather buy it off Walmart for that price and convert it to iPod format, PSP format and what not. Afterall, I won't be limited to play it on 'n' number of players. Steve was right when he said few years back that movie downloads does not work. Off course, any new addition to the store will not hurt.

TheRick
Sep 5, 2006, 02:07 PM
This could be either really big or really bad. Either way, I don't see it going over to well without a burn to DVD option. It also needs a settop media mac. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how everything develops. Good thing I'll be in Milwaukee on the 12th. I might want to go to Mayfair to see how everything went.
I live in Milwaukee so maybe I'll see you at Mayfar on the 12th. :)

iGary
Sep 5, 2006, 02:10 PM
I could care less about movies, especially as slow as TV shows download on busy nights.

I would like to see new pods, though, which I think would be a pretty solid bet. Been almost a year.

tabaczka
Sep 5, 2006, 02:10 PM
I myself am not too excited by this...

An overpriced movie store doesn't seem like something i would ever use.

But whatever they have in their bag of tricks for streaming may prove to be worth taking a look at.

DavidLeblond
Sep 5, 2006, 02:12 PM
I'm hoping for iMacs because I could care less about downloading Movies. Hell the only TV I download are the free eps. Unless you can get me 5.1 surround, DVD quality for a monthly fee that is less than Netflix... well, Netflix is still king to me. :)

psxndc
Sep 5, 2006, 02:18 PM
I don't usually speculate, but I find it interesting "Showtime" is capitalized. Could the downloads be part of some partnership with the cable channel? Just wild speculation on my part.

-p-

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 02:22 PM
I don't usually speculate, but I find it interesting "Showtime" is capitalized. Could the downloads be part of some partnership with the cable channel? Just wild speculation on my part.

-p-

Showtime is owned by Viacom,who also owns the movie channel and a cable company.

CJM
Why isn't Mr. Incredible on that logo? Am I the only one who thinks he should be?

berkleeboy210

-p-

They already sell Showtime Shows on iTunes

HecubusPro
Sep 5, 2006, 02:28 PM

-p-

I doubt it, but you never know. "Showtime" as a phrase has been around a lot longer than the cable channel. But it definitely does emphasize this event as one that's centered around movies.

drzeus
Sep 5, 2006, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure that this is an entirely novel thought, but I thought I would test my psychic abilities a little.

The mac mini seems like the target for movies here, not iPods. There's a lot of talk about Airport express and how that might be the killer hardware, but there's more to it than that. Apple is competing against rental stores and netflix to watch movies. No one is just going to want to watch movies on an iPod, they are going to want it on they're TV. So why not have a network box that saves and plays the movies that is attatched to your TV? The mini is already positioned to do exactly that. No keyboard or monitor, maybe just a remote to run Front Row.

Download the movie to the mini, watch it on TV at your convenience. Mac video on demand. Start doing that with TV shows and all of a sudden, Tivo has got a serious contender, too.

The hard bit will be having full-quality movies sent to your home, VOD style.

The new iPod is a phone. There may be a video ipod, but I doubt that it's a main target for the movies.

I have this wonderful feeling that it'll be even cooler than this, but this is what I am expecting.

Dr. Z.

LaMerVipere
Sep 5, 2006, 02:45 PM
iTunes Movie Store http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/5757/animbouncefg0.gif

mrgreen4242
Sep 5, 2006, 02:57 PM
They already sell Showtime Shows on iTunes

Ya, but not movies. They get certain distrobution rights that may cover some kind of download service (they have PPV/VoD broadcast rights, for example). They may be able to get a decent library of downloadable movies for a price that works for Apple... the fact there are Showtime shows on iTunes certainly shows they are willing to work with the iTMS, and the OP may be on to something...

In any event, unless it's HD (720p is fine) I'm not interested. For that matter, when they give me Lost in HD (and a good way to get it to my TV) I'll check out the TV shows.

MacFan782040
Sep 5, 2006, 02:58 PM
iTunes Movie Store should be rental only.

If you really love a movie, go out and buy it. This way, you have the physical copy to carry around with you where ever you want to watch it (living room, friend's house, car, ect)

I think the notion that Apple is trying to get is like this senerio:
Somebody who is bored on a Friday night with nothing better to do, who does not feel like driving out to the local video rental store. Howabout being able to download it on your computer for $4.99 for a 5 day rental.

I would probably pay that. Apple figures if you want decent quality, hook your Mac Mini up to your HDTV and play it off there. If not, just watch it on your Mac.

If you copy it to an iPod, the movie will expire in 5 days as well. Or, it will expire next time you connect your iPod to iTunes. (people HAVE to do that!)

We'll probably see Front Row 2.0 as well.

Just some thoughts....

cadillaccactus
Sep 5, 2006, 02:58 PM
If you have access to this media event, please contact us (mailto:webmaster@macrumors.com?Subject=Showtime Event).

aw, MR didn't get invited

Selax77
Sep 5, 2006, 03:09 PM
anyone think well see the 6g ipod or the real ipod video

manic
Sep 5, 2006, 03:10 PM
In any event, unless it's HD (720p is fine) I'm not interested. For that matter, when they give me Lost in HD (and a good way to get it to my TV) I'll check out the TV shows.

I would love that too, but im not convinced its feasible. 720p movie trailer downloads account roughly to 50mb for every minute. therefore, a 120min feature film would equal to 6GB. thats a lot of bandwidth, and the shoddy superdrives in current macbooks are only single-layer (grunf!).

But if its real, and they manage it for ~$14, man, ill start (re)building my movie collection! dont really care for 1080p (actually, i do, but then 12gb per film is just too much for me to bother downloading)

i guess if thats the case, 160gb 2.5" sata hds will be the absolute bare minimum, plus a stationary external hd with some 500+gb to cope with the new digital library AND time machine

mazola
Sep 5, 2006, 03:14 PM
Steve's debuting a new series of "I'm a Mac" TV ads.

:P

mduser63
Sep 5, 2006, 03:14 PM
Somebody who is bored on a Friday night with nothing better to do, who does not feel like driving out to the local video rental store. Howabout being able to download it on your computer for $4.99 for a 5 day rental.

I really hope this is what they're thinking, because it describes my reasons for wanting an iTunes Movie Store. I don't buy movies much, because I generally don't watch movies more than once. I like to rent movies, but I find it annoying to have to leave, drive to Blockbuster, look through the shelves, often to find that they are out of the movie I wanted to watch. Being able to fire up iTunes, search or browse for a movie, and immediately download it for viewing would be great. I don't care about buying movies, only rentals. Blockbuster already charges around $4 or something, so I hope Apple can at least match that price if not beat it.

mazola
Sep 5, 2006, 03:15 PM
Steve's debuting a new series of "I'm a Mac" TV ads

Westside guy
Sep 5, 2006, 03:16 PM
This could be either really big or really bad.

Well, based on past experience here - no matter what is announced, there will be people on this forum complaining that it isn't enough. :p We'll have to wait and see how it (whatever "it" is) plays in Peoria over time.

Personally I'm hoping for the AV streaming device; and if it ties in with my Tivo that'll be a big plus. :D

Applespider
Sep 5, 2006, 03:19 PM

Precisely... at least a gesture to the international audience would be good.

UK stations offer TV online... but all through WMP that Macs can't use.

Machead III
Sep 5, 2006, 03:20 PM
Of course Apple need to do more than just impress general Mac users like you guys. Like with the iPod, if they want big success, they're going to have to get to grips with an entirely new scene, culture even, and bring it's adherents something new.

As someone who considers film as influential in his upbringing as his family and friends even, I'm looking for Apple to honor the spirit of film rather than just crank out downloadable movies like the lack-luster businesses who suck all the art and atmosphere out of the DVD market.

Forget music, this is the big one. Apple are dealing with the most powerful art form on the planet, they'd better do it justice.

I'll reserve judgement until I see what they have to offer les fanatiques du cinema, but I'm optimistic.

oootle
Sep 5, 2006, 03:21 PM
Showtime (with it having a capital S) could be the name of a new application?

or maybe not, fun to speculate anyway lol

AtHomeBoy_2000
Sep 5, 2006, 03:22 PM
I have 3 predictions:
Movie Story
Updated Airport w/ video
One More Thing: Mac Media Center/Hub

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 03:30 PM
I have 3 predictions:
Movie Story
Updated Airport w/ video
One More Thing: Mac Media Center/Hub

The one more thing would be the airport. If they introduce airport with video, they eliminate the need for a mac media center. The airport IS the media center, and you can use *any* mac to power it.

corywoolf
Sep 5, 2006, 03:32 PM
Showtime is owned by Viacom,who also owns the movie channel and a cable company.
Who also owns the trademark "Mighty Mouse", which Apple licensed. I think he might be onto something. More then likely, the product is called "Showtime".

purell16
Sep 5, 2006, 03:33 PM
Isnt it pretty reasonable to assume that this will really just be iPod related/iTunes movie store related because macrumors did not get an invite but iLounge did. ABC News is even talking about the news iPods and Movie store. This thread has really gone crazy with people talking about the airport express and such. It has been a year since the iPod nano has been updated so we can be CERTAIN that their will be new nanos.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Sep 5, 2006, 03:36 PM
The one more thing would be the airport. If they introduce airport with video, they eliminate the need for a mac media center. The airport IS the media center, and you can use *any* mac to power it.
While I agree, I disagree. I am not totally sold on wireless video networking. Filesizes are very large and god forbid it get interfierence with while you are watching a movie. Audio is OK because of very small birate. An airport "media center" is just not a good solution in some cases.

dornoforpyros
Sep 5, 2006, 03:37 PM
you know, just to throw some gasoline on the fire, maybe we're finally getting the Mac Mini PVR. That rumors been MIA for a while.

Rocketman
Sep 5, 2006, 03:38 PM
Hi all.

If you look at Apple's iMac site today before the next announcement, you see "consistency" with the expected message of a 23" HDTV iMac and a video streaming enabled AirPort Express.

The product is currently positioned as a hub for your entertainment experience. If you are a leading edge user, you have already hooked a kickin' audio system via hardwire or AirPort Express.

You already have remote control.

You already have, and share internet, printing, and even distributed content to computers in other rooms, presumably some of which are kickin' stereo enabled, all of which have access to your pool of media content.

Therefore in a real way such an announcement would be a relatively small harwdare upgrade while upgrading perception, desire and buzz emmensely.

They need a "significant hardware sales driver". Is this it?

Rocketman

dongmin
Sep 5, 2006, 03:40 PM
Quoted from an older thread that has been left behind:

Somebody cast doubt on the HDMI thing, I don't know - just seemed like the easiest option to get video into an iMac. You don't have to worry about all the different methods of getting TV (free to air, digital, cable) because if you have a HDMI-enabled receiver it would just plug into the back of the iMac. You'd need to use the receiver's remote to do all the channel changing but Apple could offer some sort of recording program. EyeHome could do something with it too? I'm no expert, just trying to look at a simple solution for a complicated, fragmented problem.I'm also not sure about the bittorrent thing. It's nice in theory, but even with bittorrent, movies will take a while to download. The problem with that is that you can't watch a bittorrent movie until the whole thing has downloaded, whereas with traditional quicktime downloads, you can start watching as soon as you have a decent enough buffer. And iTMS is all about instant gratification.

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 03:44 PM
Isnt it pretty reasonable to assume that this will really just be iPod related/iTunes movie store related because macrumors did not get an invite but iLounge did. ABC News is even talking about the news iPods and Movie store. This thread has really gone crazy with people talking about the airport express and such. It has been a year since the iPod nano has been updated so we can be CERTAIN that their will be new nanos.

There's nothing crazy about the airport express. Appleinsider was the source on that, and they tend to be one of the most reliable rumor sites. And a video version of the airport would absolutely be ipod/itunes related. There's no question that we'll see new nanos, but an updated airport (especially if it had a remote and ran front row) would fit in perfectly.

Whether wireless can support video streaming is a question of implementation and bitrate of the material. As much as people want to see an HD solution, I think ntsc at around DVD quality is much more likely - using h.264 you can do that with pretty reasonable file sizes.

psxndc
Sep 5, 2006, 03:51 PM
If this is a product called showtime, that could be a Bad Thing (tm). A media application that has the same name as the movie channel? Sounds like grounds for a trademark lawsuit to me. Mighty Mouse is a little harder to cause consumer confusion: one's an computer mouse, the other is a cartoon character. But a movie software application and a movie channel? hmmmmm....

-p-

rdowns
Sep 5, 2006, 03:56 PM
Since my 3G 15GB iPos is about full, I want a new iPod.

Any my stock account loves the movement - AAPL closed up $3.10 today.

BrianMojo
Sep 5, 2006, 03:56 PM
Come on Apple, show us the HD. In a time when everyone's standoffish about HD because of the format wars Apple adopting the technology would mean you would never have bought into the wrong technology -- and eventually I imagine it would become the standard.

Come on Apple, push the technology forward like you know you should. Please?

acslater017
Sep 5, 2006, 04:06 PM
I expect upgrades to the laptops, iMac, and Mini. Also, there is a good chance of introducing either a iPhone or a iHome.
iTunes Movie Store is certain, although it would be interesting to note how apple goes about selling movies (like the resolution, download times, pricing etc.)

haha wasn't the iHome that supposed elevator photo thing?

Gundampilotspaz
Sep 5, 2006, 04:07 PM
I want my Core 2 Duo Macbook!

nomad01
Sep 5, 2006, 04:08 PM
Who also owns the trademark "Mighty Mouse", which Apple licensed. I think he might be onto something. More then likely, the product is called "Showtime".

Or... the iSHow? :D

My money's on a new iPod Hi-fi. How cool would that be? Huh? Huh?? :rolleyes:

I am quite excited though. It doesn't seem like a new video iPod is on the cards just yet but maybe some other new gadgets are about to make thei debut.

I do like the idea of the metal nano too.

I'll be hooked to Macrumors next week anyway!

age234
Sep 5, 2006, 04:15 PM
I really hope Apple comes out with a new app for this, because video in iTunes completely sucks.

suzerain
Sep 5, 2006, 04:15 PM
Um, gee. I wonder if the studio with the $9.99 downloads will be Disney...

donlphi
Sep 5, 2006, 04:18 PM
Does anybody think there will be a blu-ray announcement?

I know Sony is running a bit slow, but how great would it be to actually burn your HD Movies onto a Blu-Ray Disc for storage?

I won't hold my breath, but it would be nice.

thejadedmonkey
Sep 5, 2006, 04:21 PM

Seeing that I just got Batman Begins for $5 from Blockbuster, I think $4.99 to rent it a bit extreme.

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 04:22 PM
Does anybody think there will be a blu-ray announcement?

Doubt it. The hardware is extremely expensive, nobody is excited about it, and there's still a pretty big risk that bluray won't even catch on, whether it's beat out by hddvd or if neither catches on. At this point, bluray would likely just get a big yawn from the public.

appleguy
Sep 5, 2006, 04:30 PM
Steve's debuting a new series of "I'm a Mac" TV ads

"I'm a Mac" the movie 2hrs of a abuse hearled at PC users

jasper77
Sep 5, 2006, 04:31 PM
ok, just made a quick mockup of what i would like to see announced next week :cool:
http://users.pandora.be/blackbox/airport_video.png

and make shure it also works with video_ts folders and avi/divx files (maybe via a front row API for third party developers like VLC?) ;)

this would perfectly complement that itunes movie store

MovieCutter
Sep 5, 2006, 04:33 PM
I'm going to venture a guess and say we'll see something named the iPod Showtime or Showtime as a product name.

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 04:35 PM
ok, just made a quick mockup of what i would like to see announced next week :cool:

and make shure it also works with video_ts folders and avi/divx files (maybe via an front row API for third party developers like VLC?) ;)

You nailed it, that would be perfect. That's EXACTLY what they should do.

w00master
Sep 5, 2006, 04:40 PM

and make shure it also works with video_ts folders and avi/divx files (maybe via a front row API for third party developers like VLC?) ;)

I think this is totally feasible, but one question that many of you haven't addressed is: "Do you see this interaction and interface happening for the Windows users?"

I know we're all Apple fans here, but in order for the iTunes Movie Store to be successful, it will have to include "them."

w00master

Sean7512
Sep 5, 2006, 04:42 PM
I'm not picky...All I want is a new iMac of some sort, whether it be 23" or 50", I just want a iMac, PLEASE!!! I'm crossing my fingers...

Although, a Movie Store could be SWEET!

blueflame
Sep 5, 2006, 04:43 PM
now make this device you speak of also abble to use time machine, and back-up your computer to it, and its a real winner!
ANdreas
I'm not sure that this is an entirely novel thought, but I thought I would test my psychic abilities a little.

The mac mini seems like the target for movies here, not iPods. There's a lot of talk about Airport express and how that might be the killer hardware, but there's more to it than that. Apple is competing against rental stores and netflix to watch movies. No one is just going to want to watch movies on an iPod, they are going to want it on they're TV. So why not have a network box that saves and plays the movies that is attatched to your TV? The mini is already positioned to do exactly that. No keyboard or monitor, maybe just a remote to run Front Row.

Download the movie to the mini, watch it on TV at your convenience. Mac video on demand. Start doing that with TV shows and all of a sudden, Tivo has got a serious contender, too.

The new iPod is a phone. There may be a video ipod, but I doubt that it's a main target for the movies.

I have this wonderful feeling that it'll be even cooler than this, but this is what I am expecting.

Dr. Z.

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 04:46 PM

Only one problem with that..

You can already do it with iTunes sharing.Just have a Mini next to the TV.
And it would be hard to go to one room and start the movie then go to the other room and start watching it.

If there is a media device it will be set-top box or Mini style that sits next to the main TV.

TheManOfSilver
Sep 5, 2006, 04:47 PM
I think this is totally feasible, but one question that many of you haven't addressed is: "Do you see this interaction and interface happening for the Windows users?"

I know we're all Apple fans here, but in order for the iTunes Movie Store to be successful, it will have to include "them."

w00master

I agree completely. iTunes was ported to Windows to sell more iPods, and music. The iMovie Store (or whatever) will be included for Windows to sell more video iPods and Airport AV (or whatever it will be called). The living room box will have to play nice with PCs in order for this whole thing to have the same impact as the iTMS/iPod.

It may just be time for Front Row to be ported to Windows too. Wouldn't that just chafe Gates' butt?

jasper77
Sep 5, 2006, 04:49 PM

w00master

that's the question of course :) maybe it will be the killer application to convert windows users to mac :p

or windows users can connect their pc's to a tv with a few cables, so that they also can play the movies from the movie store on their tv's… but in that case the pc must be next to the tv.

donlphi
Sep 5, 2006, 04:49 PM
isn't the resolution going to be terrible. I don't see these movie downloads working with a hi-def TV. The television shows are pretty pathetic on my old 42" panasonic. 320x240 is going to look terrible on a beautiful sony 1080p television...

this whole idea sounds like a lose lose situation.

You are going to be transfering these choppy looking movies, which will look great on the current ipod video, but lame as heck on a any screen larger than 5 inches.

what's the point? Who wants to buy that? I'd rather rent a movie from netflix or if I really like it, buy the movie at best buy and rip it onto my hard drive, and drop it into my iPOD and watch it later.

I hope there is more than just a new VCR or DVD player.

How about an on demand service through the device, which lets you watch it for one price or copy a lower resolution version of it to your iPOD for another price.

I don't know, but it seems like we are barking up the wrong tree.

Bring on the new processors for the macbook pro!

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 04:51 PM
Only one problem with that..

You can already do it with iTunes.
And it would be hard to go to one room and start the movie then go to the other room and start watching it.

If there is a media device it will be set-top box or Mini style that sits next to the main TV.

Did you read the post? iTunes doesn't do that, right now apple doesn't have an airport with *video* output. And look at the picture again, that mockup has a remote that talks to the airport, you don't have to leave the room.

You miss the whole point of this. Why would you want to have an expensive box next to the TV when you could just have a tiny airport, and let your computer do the heavy lifting from another room?

isn't the resolution going to be terrible. I don't see these movie downloads working with a hi-def TV. The television shows are pretty pathetic on my old 42" panasonic. 320x240 is going to look terrible on a beautiful sony 1080p television...

You're assuming they won't up the resolution when they start doing movies. What makes you so sure they'll do that?

w00master
Sep 5, 2006, 04:52 PM
that's the question of course :) maybe it will be the killer application to convert windows users to mac :p

or windows users can connect their pc's to a tv with a few cables, so that they also can play the movies from the movie store on their tv's… but in that case the pc must be next to the computer.

LOL. I understand that you're speaking in jest, but honestly I don't see Apple implementing the Movie Store differently w/ PC users. Remember that the iPod/iTunes didn't explode in popularity until they were PC-friendly. If the PC side had anything different in it's implementation like your post implies, then I highly doubt the iPod/iTunes would have been as successful as it is now.

w00master

jasper77
Sep 5, 2006, 04:58 PM
LOL. I understand that you're speaking in jest, but honestly I don't see Apple implementing the Movie Store differently w/ PC users. Remember that the iPod/iTunes didn't explode in popularity until they were PC-friendly. If the PC side had anything different in it's implementation like your post implies, then I highly doubt the iPod/iTunes would have been as successful as it is now.

w00master

i know, but in that case apple has to port front row to windows. Or they have to implement front row into itunes or something like that, so that it will work exactly the same way on windows as on mac. as long as they have itunes installed. but that way, all media files (movie store movies, avi, divx, video_ts folders and even photo's) should be stored inside itunes.

crap freakboy
Sep 5, 2006, 05:12 PM
Mmmmm....how much?
I get unlimited DVD rentals via post, 3 at a time- latest released.
Add MTR and toast...match that Apple then I'll be interested

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 05:15 PM
Mmmmm....how much?
I get unlimited DVD rentals via post, 3 at a time- latest released.
Add MTR and toast...match that Apple then I'll be interested

I don't think it's realistic to expect apple to match the "deal" you can get from pirating dvd's. :rolleyes:

acslater017
Sep 5, 2006, 05:19 PM
OK hear me out on this one - WHAT IF Apple, in all its wisdom and foresight, avoids the format war (Blu-ray vs HD-DVD) altogether by NOT using a physical format? Of course, they're backing up Blu-ray...but in order to avoid putting their eggs in that basket, and seeing that consumers are hesitant to invest in either format...they do something GENIUS like sell DOWNLOADABLE HD movies on their iTunes store and release a stream-to-TV device!

This would attract everyone because it:
1) does not require an investment in a high-def player.
2) allows for lower prices to purchase/rent movies.
3) basically lets Apple avoid having to take sides by investing millions and millions into new disc drives
4) lets consumers watch the content on their computer and TV. and if they wish to invest in a Blu-ray burner, they can. If they don't, they can still enjoy HD movies!

eh? EEEHH?

ezekielrage_99
Sep 5, 2006, 05:20 PM
I'm more interested in the 23" iMac Core 2 Duos and new metal iPods, I hope Apple does release them on the 12th of September.

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 05:25 PM
Did you read the post? iTunes doesn't do that, right now apple doesn't have an airport with *video* output. And look at the picture again, that mockup has a remote that talks to the airport, you don't have to leave the room.

You miss the whole point of this. Why would you want to have an expensive box next to the TV when you could just have a tiny airport, and let your computer do the heavy lifting from another room?

You're assuming they won't up the resolution when they start doing movies. What makes you so sure they'll do that?

Milo.I have my MacBook sitting next to and connected via S-Video to my TV and use iTunes sharing via Airport to watch videos almost every day..

The key to good quality over iTunes sharing is to make the movie hinted.
And it streams just fine..

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 05:31 PM
Milo.I have my MacBook sitting next to and connected via S-Video to my TV and use iTunes sharing via Airport to watch videos almost every day..

The key to good quality over iTunes sharing is to make the movie hinted.
And it streams just fine..

I never said the streaming isn't possible. I just said there isn't a HARDWARE device like the airport that makes this possible without a computer.

Having to leave a computer hooked up to the TV all the time (or drag over a laptop) isn't a convenient solution. An airport box with video output IS a new solution, and something not available now.

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 05:36 PM
I never said the streaming isn't possible. I just said there isn't a HARDWARE device like the airport that makes this possible without a computer.

Having to leave a computer hooked up to the TV all the time (or drag over a laptop) isn't a convenient solution. An airport box with video output IS a new solution, and something not available now.

NOW you're on to something.Let's expand on that ;)

Where is the video out from the airport going to go ? The TV of course!

Now..

Why not just make a Mini type box with 802.11n with DVI/HDMI/S-Video and Digital/Analog out ports.Connect that to the tv then stream from your computer or the movie store.While we're at it toss a hefty HD in the mini for recording.

It's much more convenient too.Just sit on the couch and surf Front Row for movies then buy it and send it to the tv.POW! one step..

Apple IS about ease of use..

TheKrillr
Sep 5, 2006, 05:42 PM
I think we'll see a transition from iTunes to iMedia.

The iMedia Store (TV Shows, Music, Audiobooks, Movies). The iMedia Player (the "true" video ipod). airMedia (wireless video/audio streaming device).

Not sure aobut the phone name. iTalk? iWalk? iNeedAName?

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 05:42 PM
Why not just make a Mini type box with 802.11n with DVI/HDMI/S-Video and Digital/Analog out ports.Connect that to the tv then stream from your computer or the movie store.While we're at it toss a hefty HD in the mini for recording.

There's no point in having a hard drive, why would you even want it if you can stream in real time from your computer? And why make it a "mini" size box when it can just be something tiny enough to hold AV outputs?

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 05:45 PM
There's no point in having a hard drive, why would you even want it if you can stream in real time from your computer? And why make it a "mini" size box when it can just be something tiny enough to hold AV outputs?

In order to receive the movie from the movie store it would stream to the "box".Having a HD would allow you to save the movie.

AND!!

Later in your room you could stream it from the "Box" to your computer :-)

TheManOfSilver
Sep 5, 2006, 05:45 PM
I think we'll see a transition from iTunes to iMedia.

The iMedia Store (TV Shows, Music, Audiobooks, Movies). The iMedia Player (the "true" video ipod). airMedia (wireless video/audio streaming device).

While what you suggest makes some sense ... Apple has invested way too much in building the "iTunes" brand to simply drop it now. For the same reason I doubt we'll see the iMac changing to "mac" or iPod changing to "Pod" ... they're here to stay for now.

An alternative is the make Quicktime a full-fledged media player and browser to support the TV shows, movies and movie store to keep it separate from iTunes.

TheKrillr
Sep 5, 2006, 05:47 PM

Now..

It's much more convenient too.Just sit on the couch and surf Front Row for movies then buy it and send it to the tv.POW! one step..

Why is everyone obsessed with 802.11n? Unless apple can work magic, N is nowhere NEAR ready for primetime. 802.11g is fine. 54Mbps theoretical, at long range you still get around 11Mbps... and the TV content is only .75Mbps, and i'm estimating the movie content to max out around 3Mbps. Thats sitll plenty o' bandwidth.

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 05:48 PM
In order to receive the movie from the movie store it would stream to the "box".Having a HD would allow you to save the movie.

AND!!

Later in your room you could stream it from the "Box" to your computer :-)

That makes no sense. Why wouldn't it just download straight to the computer in the first place? That's where it's stored, that's where it's streamed from. You just added an extra step and made it that much more complicated.

MattInOz
Sep 5, 2006, 05:48 PM
i know, but in that case apple has to port front row to windows. Or they have to implement front row into itunes or something like that, so that it will work exactly the same way on windows as on mac. as long as they have itunes installed. but that way, all media files (movie store movies, avi, divx, video_ts folders and even photo's) should be stored inside itunes.

Given all the magic that makes Front Row possible is quartz and quartz is just an Apple specific layer to the OpenGL language, which can run purely on the the GPU, then really Airport A/V is just an upgrade that includes a GPU.
The ARM cpu of the current Airport could do what is does now, plus the minor extra work of handling the remote control.

That gives you the same expirence with the Airport connecting to either a Mac or Windows on the network.

jasper77
Sep 5, 2006, 05:50 PM

Now..

ease of use à la apple = buy/download a movie in the itunes movie store and stream it via airport av from your mac to a tv. or take a subscription to a tv show (like Lost or Prison Break) and let iTunes automatically download each new episode (via RSS) to your hard drive and than stream it to your tv whenever you want.

I don't think recording is the future.

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 05:51 PM
That makes no sense. Why wouldn't it just download straight to the computer in the first place? That's where it's stored, that's where it's streamed from. You just added an extra step and made it that much more complicated.

Tell ya what..If I want to watch a full length movie I'm gonna do it in my living room in front of my TV NOT wherever the computer is.

I'll agree to disagree but watch.Come Sept. 12th we're gonna see the Mac Media Center

TheKrillr
Sep 5, 2006, 05:53 PM
Tell ya what..If I want to watch a full length movie I'm gonna do it in my living room in front of my TV NOT wherever the computer is.

Exactly why there'd be the video equivalent of airtunes... haven't you been paying attention?

Zwhaler
Sep 5, 2006, 05:54 PM
Strange, the movie store is the thing that I am least excited about :confused: But I still hope for new imac and/or mbp.

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 05:55 PM

Wow, you really don't get it.

Watching on the tv is exactly what this is about. The whole point is that you don't need to have a *computer* or even a *hard drive* next to the TV since you can just stream the video from a computer ANYWHERE in your house.

Seriously, did you even look at the picture you responded to?

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 05:56 PM
Exactly why there'd be the video equivalent of airtunes... haven't you been paying attention?

Yes I have..The only difference is I'm including the recording part.

TheKrillr
Sep 5, 2006, 05:57 PM
Strange, the movie store is the thing that I am least excited about :confused: But I still hope for new imac and/or mbp.

Why is it everyone says "Ooooh i want a new macbook pro!"? I personally like the macbooks much better. The keyboard is nicer IMO, and I prefer the smaller size and the solid-color as opposed to the metallic finish.

I want a new Macbook, but ONLY if they upgrade the one i ordered last tuesday... >.>

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 05:58 PM

The recording can be done by the computer. What reason is there to have it done where the TV is located?

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 05:58 PM
Wow, you really don't get it.

Watching on the tv is exactly what this is about. The whole point is that you don't need to have a *computer* or even a *hard drive* next to the TV since you can just stream the video from a computer ANYWHERE in your house.

Seriously, did you even look at the picture you responded to?

Yes I did milo.And it's a fine rendition :)

Only thing is one still has to connect some kind of A/V cables to the TV..

Think about that concept.

TheKrillr
Sep 5, 2006, 05:59 PM

Well, one option would be for the video airTunes, to have an input + hardware Mpeg-2 encoding and stream it back to your computer onto your hard drive.

This would be awesome, especially for rich people who can buy an xserve with xsan to store all their stuff on ;-) One tiny box in the living room, one huge fileserver in a backroom.

But yes, you'd probably need to have Front Row or some such on the front end, on the video airTunes.

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 06:01 PM
What if you downloaded the movie to your Macbook Pro and went on a business trip? Or you only own a laptop?

HOW are the members of your family going to watch the movie?

MattyMac
Sep 5, 2006, 06:02 PM
My nano is already on eBay awaiting a nice metal clad 8GB version, I hope they do an andonised black one though to match my other gadgets.
nice....I'm sure it will be a good time to pick up an older generation on ebay...once they are released that is. This week is the sellers market however.

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 06:02 PM
Yes I did milo.And it's a fine rendition :)

Only thing is one still has to connect some kind of A/V cables to the TV..

Think about that concept.

I'll think about it. I think it's covered by "video to tv via dvi>hdmi cable for hdtv or analogue connection for sdtv". Which you obviously missed?

Try looking at the pic again. And read the stuff. All of it.

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 06:03 PM
What if you downloaded the movie to your Macbook Pro and went on a business trip? Or you only own a laptop?

HOW are the members of your family going to watch the movie?

Just copy it to the computer at home. How are the members of your family going to use a computer if you take the only one with you?

iMeowbot
Sep 5, 2006, 06:04 PM
If this is a product called showtime, that could be a Bad Thing (tm). A media application that has the same name as the movie channel? Sounds like grounds for a trademark lawsuit to me. Mighty Mouse is a little harder to cause consumer confusion: one's an computer mouse, the other is a cartoon character. But a movie software application and a movie channel? hmmmmm....
I don't think there will be anything with that name.

Apple did just very recently file for a new iMovie trade mark in Europe, through Italy. They already had the name registered in 2000/2001. This new application is from 22 August, and no real details are currently published.

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 06:04 PM
I'll think about it. I think it's covered by "video to tv via dvi>hdmi cable for hdtv or analogue connection for sdtv". Which you obviously missed?

Try looking at the pic again. And read the stuff. All of it.

Read my previous post :)

Yvan256
Sep 5, 2006, 06:05 PM
OK hear me out on this one - WHAT IF Apple, in all its wisdom and foresight, avoids the format war (Blu-ray vs HD-DVD) altogether by NOT using a physical format? [...] they do something GENIUS like sell DOWNLOADABLE HD movies on their iTunes store and release a stream-to-TV device!

That's been my point of view since day one. Some kind of hardware to connect between your computer(s) and your television and you get your movies from the iTMS (iTunes Media Store).

The only thing that I'd like to see (and I'm sure I won't) is rentals. I wouldn't mind downloading 480p movies for rentals, either. It lowers the bandwidth costs, the download time, etc.

Will the "box" be an Airport Xpress (or something) or a special version of Mac mini (super-low cost, no hard drive, no optical drive, 512MB soldered on-board, not upgradable).

Peace
Sep 5, 2006, 06:06 PM
Just copy it to the computer at home. How are the members of your family going to use a computer if you take the only one with you?

By using the BOX with the HARD DRIVE next to the TV!!

Damn..

Lets just agree to disagree and see what happens next Tuesday ok ? :)

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 06:11 PM
Read my previous post :)

I did. It was about connecting AV cables to the TV. Which was covered in the pic.

Please, for the love of God, start making some sense.

They're going to use a stripped down box connected to a TELEVISION to do things like send email and surf the web??? :eek: By making that box a full fledged computer, you just tripled the price at least. What a horrible idea. If you're going to spend the money on a computer, why not make it useful as a computer instead of wasting money by using it only to play back TV programs? And with your proposal, how does someone watch TV while someone else is surfing the web?

jasper77
Sep 5, 2006, 06:12 PM

Damn..

Lets just agree to disagree and see what happens next Tuesday ok ? :)

why don't you just buy a Mac Mini and put it next to your tv? that will do everything you need, i guess :)

TheKrillr
Sep 5, 2006, 06:12 PM
I don't think there will be anything with that name.

Apple did just very recently file for a new iMovie trade mark in Europe, through Italy. They already had the name registered in 2000/2001. This new application is from 22 August, and no real details are currently published.

How does trademarking work in Europe? Here in the US you trademark something, and you don't have to specify what industry its in, or what the trademark is used for. in Europe do you have to register it for each unique industry? Otherwise, why would they be reapplying if they already have it?

TheKrillr
Sep 5, 2006, 06:15 PM
It just occurred to me, that in Leopard iChat has a thing called Remote Desktop Express. This could easily be used in the new device to send Front Row to the TV!

Apple, I'm sure is thinking ahead. Or they plan on releasing the new iChat on the 12th.

iMeowbot
Sep 5, 2006, 06:18 PM
How does trademarking work in Europe? Here in the use you trademark something, and you don't have to specify what industry its in, or what the trademark is used for.
In the Us, if you want a registered mark, you do have to specify the use. That's why Apple can have a trademark for Mac, and MAC cosmetics can too, and McDonalds can have their Big Macs and so on.

You will find in just the USPTO records that the Apple logo is registered multiple times for different uses, and they seem to add one or two each year.

There is a whole separate issue with "famous" marks that can make the rights more expansive, but that is more the exception than the rule.

in Europe do you have to register it for each unique industry? Otherwise, why would they be reapplying if they already have it?
It's not just for an industry but for particular classes of products and services. In both the US and Europe there is a common classification system for this stuff (Nice Union, yet another WIPO treaty).

nxent
Sep 5, 2006, 06:37 PM

already on ebay? nice. now you don't have to worry too much about it depreciating in value with apple's new product. i've been holding out on a new ipod to see what devilry they come up with this time. i take it the movies on itunes will be 'download to own'?

OdduWon
Sep 5, 2006, 06:47 PM
it seems like the reason this apple is broadcasting to the event is so that they can show how their new ichat streaming dot mac movie/video chat ipod pack works;) .

Creibold
Sep 5, 2006, 06:55 PM
Apple will release new iPods AND a movie store on the same day that nintendo releases the black DS lite for the states?

Go-go gadget debit card.

boncellis
Sep 5, 2006, 06:59 PM
As far as the streaming video possibilities go, I think it would be cool for Apple to include the ability to "project" the entire desktop onto a remote screen, like a TV or projector. The tech is already there, and I think that kind of functionality would be that much cooler and more practical than simply streaming audio/video content. I would love to use my PB's lid-closed mode wirelessly with the TV.

brepublican
Sep 5, 2006, 07:00 PM
it seems like the reason this apple is broadcasting to the event is so that they can show how their new ichat streaming dot mac movie/video chat ipod pack works;) .
I like that line of thought :) Prolly spot on too. SJ will announce about half way throught that they've actually been streaming over an Airport Express AV the entire time...

"It wasnt a Jackal the first time you said, so why the hell would it be a Jackal the next 10 times?? Argh!"

pna
Sep 5, 2006, 07:02 PM

Yes, but you get to live in Norway, and in Bergen no less. I'll be in Bergen next week, and will be happy to bring you some TV shows.

gugy
Sep 5, 2006, 07:03 PM

w00master

very true, unfortunately those bastards dictate what will be successful. :eek:

another thing is make sure any video transmitted wirelessly will work perfect.
I had my airport xpress 30 feet from my computer hooked up to my stereo and the signal would drop all the time. This to work it needs to work flawlessly, if not forget it. I rather have the media center hooked up on my stereo and TV without the wireless crap.

WildPalms
Sep 5, 2006, 07:15 PM
Why isn't Mr. Incredible on that logo? Am I the only one who thinks he should be?

Who?

TheManOfSilver
Sep 5, 2006, 07:19 PM
Who?

Try visiting www.pixar.com ;)

Yvan256
Sep 5, 2006, 07:24 PM
Apple will release new iPods AND a movie store on the same day that nintendo releases the black DS lite for the states?

Go-go gadget debit card.

Eh, funniest post I've read in a long time. Thanks. :D

boncellis
Sep 5, 2006, 07:25 PM

This is what I had anticipated a while back, but Apple went and invested in the Mini as the quasi-set-top-box. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I wonder if they would change horses mid stream, as it were. I think the video AE would be cool, but it's not quite mainstream enough for regular folk. The Mini, on the other hand, would be sufficiently mainstream if Apple cut the price a little bit and made Front Row a little more robust (and included a DVI to HDMI cable ;)).

Of course, I can see both sides of the argument.

LaMerVipere
Sep 5, 2006, 07:44 PM
I agree with everyone here who says that when Apple starts their own movie store they should also release a new Application along with it.

Playing video in iTunes is pretty bad.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Sep 5, 2006, 07:48 PM
I agree with everyone here who says that when Apple starts their own movie store they should also release a new Application along with it.

iLife is getting big :eek:

imosher
Sep 5, 2006, 07:55 PM
I hope that there will be a MacBook update- I ordered mine on the 24th and it said it would ship the 1st. I then got an email Monday telling me it would not ship until the 14th. Either I sm highly unlucky and they are way bhind or an update is in the works.

Ian

macintel4me
Sep 5, 2006, 07:58 PM

That with a built-in iPod dock that syncs wirelessly. SWEET!!!! :D
That way you could stream wirelessly or play with whatever is on the iPod.

APPLENEWBIE
Sep 5, 2006, 08:08 PM
Showtime may be a two track movie store. One track to rent or purchase movies for the 'big screen' tv, computer monitors. A second track to download movies in a much smaller format specifically for the new "Showtime iPod." That way, movies become very portable and easy/fast download for iPod, and a much longer download for the "Apple Movie Machine" for tv/computer?

Could be a really neat show and tell....

donlphi
Sep 5, 2006, 08:17 PM

I guess I was thinking if they up the resolution too much on the movie it may look better on the big screen, but it will no longer be compatible on the ipod.

I don't think the problem would be fixable in the firmware either. How big are we going to make these files?

Right now, I can rip a DVD (that I own of course) and crunch it down to my iPOD's size 320x240 (roughly 600MB for a couple of hours) . Now... it supports up to 640x480, but that turns it into a pretty hefty file.

I don't see apple changing the resolution for movies unless you want rediculous download times. Just downloading some of these HD trailers takes forever, and they look terrible on the displays at the apple store (tried it there only because I thought it was my computer, not the technology).

I guess I would rather see an on demand viewing solution for the hi-def stuff, which I can already do through comcast, and stick to low res for my iPod Video when I am traveling.

Either way... like I said in another post... you are going to see an updated iPod Nano, upgraded processors for some of models still using the first generation intel chips, and a worthless video streamer that lets you feed your video to a TV without hooking your computer up to it lo res (which will look terrible on a 1080p television)... oh and the Movie downloads - probably from Disney Pixar only at first.

This would suck for me because the last thing I want to do is tie up my computer so somebody in my house can watch INCREDIBLES with bad picture and average sound in my living room.

donlphi
Sep 5, 2006, 08:25 PM

They could call it iMovie... wait that won't work.

iFlix (too netflix-ee)? iPix(too pixarish)? iMedia (too micro$oftish)? nah.. just stick with iTunes... everybody knows how to use it, but fix the video playback.

EagerDragon
Sep 5, 2006, 08:26 PM
Darn it, 6 more days to go.

macintel4me
Sep 5, 2006, 08:27 PM
They could call it iMovie... wait that won't work.

iFlix (too netflix-ee)? iPix(too pixarish)? iMedia (too micro$oftish)? nah.. just stick with iTunes... everybody knows how to use it, but fix the video playback.
How about iWillBuyWhateverCoolAppleGadgetComesOutOnThe12th ??

fall3n
Sep 5, 2006, 08:31 PM
oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. I'm stoked. I'm getting me an iMac. woohoo. I'm gonna let my buddy at the computer store know to put one on hold for me as soon as he gets it. yesssssssss.

BrianMojo
Sep 5, 2006, 08:33 PM
Just downloading some of these HD trailers takes forever, and they look terrible on the displays at the apple store (tried it there only because I thought it was my computer, not the technology).

What the hell are you talking about? I don't know what HD trailers you were downloading, but they look fantastic on my screen. Also, yes, some of them take forever if you're on a slower connection but it sounds as though everyone's banking on broadband these days; it has become the rule, not the exception.

dual64bit
Sep 5, 2006, 08:46 PM
I'll drink to this club "iWillBuyWhateverCoolAppleGadgetComesOutOnThe12th"

MattyMac
Sep 5, 2006, 08:46 PM
Darn it, 6 more days to go.
ahhh...at least you have something to look forward too.

It's all about the little things in life;)

TheManOfSilver
Sep 5, 2006, 08:49 PM
I'll drink to this club "iWillBuyWhateverCoolAppleGadgetComesOutOnThe12th"

Seconded :D

donlphi
Sep 5, 2006, 08:56 PM
What the hell are you talking about? I don't know what HD trailers you were downloading, but they look fantastic on my screen. Also, yes, some of them take forever if you're on a slower connection but it sounds as though everyone's banking on broadband these days; it has become the rule, not the exception.

I downloaded a couple trailers and watched them on two different displays, and they were not "Fantastic"... perhaps fantastic compared to watching the low res version in full screen mode. I am talking about blowing it up and filling the screen with the trailer. It skipped frames, picture froze once in a while.

Either way, what are you going to do with a HD version of the movie on your computer? Stream it onto your TV from the room next door? If it's that slow with a 2 minute teaser on an Apple Store connection, and my home Comcast connection (which is generally slow - hurry up USB EVDO CARD!!!), I don't see people wanting to buy it, other than the fact that it is a new Apple product.

I certainly didn't run rigorous tests, just tried watching the new Transformers trailer, clicked the HD version of it, blew it up to full screen, and watched the chunks of video stop everywhere.

If you want to see TRUE HD, get comcast or any other Digital cable provider and watch the HD feed of NBC for a minute. THAT is what HD should look like. If it doesn't look clear, what's the point?

with that said, here is a picture of the new video HD video iPOD. This girl is carrying the ipod unit in her left hand and holding onto the 2 TB Hard Drive on her shoulder.

The bag comes in 3 different colors, which is nice, blue, pink, and titanium.

chatin
Sep 5, 2006, 09:06 PM
They may have partnered with a network like Showtime for a movie library.

1) No HD. Way too much bandwidth here! As someone who edits HD, Mac Pro is underpowered for 1080i. (Not really!)

2) No first run movies like Walmart gets on the day of release. Although I wish, since I was capsized at Amazon, with a wrong version, scratched Poseidon.

But if one of the above proved untrue I would be very happy and start buying like crazy!! :p

ezekielrage_99
Sep 5, 2006, 09:58 PM
Unless you have very fast connection and a nice big fat download limit movies from the iTunes store will be a little pointless. I'm not saying being able to download a feature length movie wouldn't good but until the net goes faster and download limits increase I can't really see too many people downloading.

If the price of the download is similar to the DVD I'll be buying the DVD, I still like having a tangible product.

poppe
Sep 5, 2006, 10:02 PM
My Guess:

Just think if that Data Center Apple bought was acctually a place to store alll the studios movies. Then you pay 9.99 for the rights to what ever movie and it is streamed Slingbox style to your Airport Extreme that has HDMI, Component, Composite etc outlets for your TV. Then you have your movie you bought anytime all the time but never have to take storage of your own, and never have to deal with downloading or anything.

You heard it hear first!

wkhahn
Sep 5, 2006, 10:16 PM
I haven't read every post of this thread, so forgive me if its already been mentioned, but let's assume for a minute that the elusive Airport Express A/V is finally here. Do you think that it would just be a self contained white box with ports? I think it may be something more.

What if they just took the guts of a current AE, and stuffed them inside the universal iPod dock? It would have to be a little bigger than current designs, but same dock connection. It could be shown with the new iPod, and then the "One more thing" would be its added funtionallity. The ipod could handle the menu/frontrow display. Considering the bandwidth ncessary for video streaming, you could sync your iPod without actually connecting to your computer. Market it as an iPod accessory to a built in audience of 50 or so million.

evilgEEk
Sep 5, 2006, 10:18 PM
My Guess:

Just think if that Data Center Apple bought was acctually a place to store alll the studios movies. Then you pay 9.99 for the rights to what ever movie and it is streamed Slingbox style to your Airport Extreme that has HDMI, Component, Composite etc outlets for your TV. Then you have your movie you bought anytime all the time but never have to take storage of your own, and never have to deal with downloading or anything.

You heard it hear first!
Actually, that idea has been pitched before. ;)

I'm not sure if I would care for that sort of service though. I'm thinking I would most likely just burn off a purchased movie to DVD, as long as it's possible of course.

Having it remotely hosted would be nice if you're going somewhere else to watch the movie, but that's dependant upon the fact that this "somewhere else" would most likely need this device as well.

It's a solid idea, I just don't see Apple doing it.

newamiga
Sep 5, 2006, 10:27 PM
Just saw this on Engadget .. coincidence?

"Tzero Teams with Analog Devices to Enable Wireless High-Definition Video
Ultra Wideband Design Connects HDMI™ Devices Wirelessly, Helps Consumers Eliminate Cost and Complexity of Hard-wired Installations"

http://www.tzerotech.com/site/content/pr_106.html

Very interesting and they are just down the road in Sunnyvale.. makes one wonder??

:cool: :cool:

mazola
Sep 5, 2006, 10:29 PM
This bodes well.

Wasn't the tagline for the last Apple Special Event "It's Leather"?

psionic001
Sep 5, 2006, 11:33 PM
How big would a high quality feature length movie be?

And no, I havn't read all 6 pages of the posts, so sorry if it's been discussed.

door4
Sep 5, 2006, 11:48 PM

Apple will probably just update ITMS to be a better venue for movies. M$ probably doesn't want a new "media center" to conflict with theirs.

supermacdesign
Sep 6, 2006, 12:04 AM
Don't forget the 42" HD monitor Apple will drop at the event. What else did you think Apple would let you watch a movie on? (beside your iPod of course)

gugy
Sep 6, 2006, 12:08 AM
Don't forget the 42" HD monitor Apple will drop at the event. What else did you think Apple would let you watch a movie on? (beside your iPod of course)

Bring it on!

balamw
Sep 6, 2006, 12:08 AM
How big would a high quality feature length movie be?

And no, I havn't read all 6 pages of the posts, so sorry if it's been discussed.
Worth revisiting.

The raw uncompressed bitrate for 720p = 1280*720*24bpp*30fps/(1024*1024) = 633 Mbps for 1080i it's ~711 Mbps 320x240 it's more like 53 Mbps.

720p compressed in H.264 with 5.1 sound seems to work out to about 1100 MB for your typical 45 minute drama show (i.e. compressed down to ~3 Mbps). This compares to 200 MB for the same show from iTMS in 320x240 H.264 (700 kbps). Not bad when you consider that 720p has 12X as many pixels (1280/320=4, 720/240=3)

Basically your typical movie would be about 2GB.

B

soapsuds
Sep 6, 2006, 01:09 AM
3 Mbps for a 720p movie? That's actually pretty close to a typical broadband download rate... neglecting the 2 GB storage requirements, all they would have to do is add the ability to watch a video as it is being downloaded (I'm pretty sure iTunes currently doesn't do that, which seems rather stupid, although the iTunes video player is also quite clunky) to make that feasible. I would still guess that they'll only do 640x480 or something like that, because it would be "good enough" for most people. If they stick to 320x240 for movies nobody will buy them.

If they can put the menu logic into iTunes, all the "Airport Express A/V" would have do do is add an H264 decoder chip and video DAC to the current Airport Express, that would be a pretty cheap solution. I think there is already a way to plug a remote control via USB into an Airport Express and remote-control iTunes. I don't see any reason why they couldn't fit this into something roughly the same cost as the current Airport Express ($130). Have iTunes for Windows handle simple movie and music playback, have the Mac version do a more full-featured FrontRow experience. Can most current Macs encode 640x480 into H264 or at least MP4 in real time to handle the UI? I suppose they could use a more quick & dirty compression technique for the UI, perhaps something that could take advantage of the large amounts of black background.

The only sticky part is the current AirportExpress is designed to sit on your powerstrip, where an IR receiver wouldn't work. So either you need a receiver on a cord, use an R/F remote instead of IR, or turn it into a "box with a cord" design more like a cable box.

freebooter
Sep 6, 2006, 01:16 AM
Given the truly abysmal quality of Hollywood's 99% offerings, I say a big, "Who cares!" to any effort to pipe ever greater quantities of drivel into my life, however slickly and hyped.

I do, however, look forward to a new 23" iMac--oh yeah!

balamw
Sep 6, 2006, 01:18 AM
If they can put the menu logic into iTunes, all the "Airport Express A/V" would have do do is add an H264 decoder chip and video DAC to the current Airport Express, that would be a pretty cheap solution.
Just note that the H.264 decoder chip in the 5G iPod is what sets the resolution and bitrate limits for current iTMS videos to no more than 320x240 and under 768 kbps. Any more powerful chip would put out more heat and require a larger box to dissipate it. If they went with MPEG-4 they could already handle 2Mbps 480x480 files which is competitive with current digital satellite offerings.

B

freebooter
Sep 6, 2006, 01:23 AM

Consider yourself twice blessed :rolleyes:

Evangelion
Sep 6, 2006, 01:47 AM
I'm also not sure about the bittorrent thing. It's nice in theory, but even with bittorrent, movies will take a while to download. The problem with that is that you can't watch a bittorrent movie until the whole thing has downloaded, whereas with traditional quicktime downloads, you can start watching as soon as you have a decent enough buffer. And iTMS is all about instant gratification.

Well, the good thing (as far as Apple is concerned) with Bittorrent is that it makes it easier and cheaper to distribute content, the fact that it can make RECEIVING the said content faster is just a nice bonus. And who is to say that they couldn't combine the good parts of Quicktime (instant-on) with the good parts of Bittorrent (distributed distribution).

aswitcher
Sep 6, 2006, 02:00 AM
Engadget and others are announcing wireless HDMI being release in November. Hopefully Apple is leading the way on this.

Platform
Sep 6, 2006, 04:55 AM
This is great:

iMac,
iPod,
Movie Store,
AirPort w/Video and
Something new :D

phil989
Sep 6, 2006, 04:59 AM

Dr. Z.

I like the sound of that!! as for downloading the movies, the bittorrent protocol is almost perfect, but maybe a customized apple algorithm, because the beauty of services such as sky box office (no ones mentioned this so far) is you only have to wait 15 - 30 mins max for your film.

realistically, a 6gb or heaven help us 12gb download will take absolutely ages, even if it maxes out your connection. so streaming the media would perhaps be the way forward, although i dont know enough about the bittorrent protocol to fully understand the effects of prioritizing consecutive pieces.

Phil

kresh
Sep 6, 2006, 05:33 AM
although i dont know enough about the bittorrent protocol to fully understand the effects of prioritizing consecutive pieces.

I think you just hit on why you can't watching streaming video with Bittorrent.

llama-man
Sep 6, 2006, 07:21 AM
I have just had confirmation of one of our suppliers that new iMacs are on the way next week. He didn't elaborate on the details though.

Next week is gonna be expensive.

milo
Sep 6, 2006, 07:52 AM
This is what I had anticipated a while back, but Apple went and invested in the Mini as the quasi-set-top-box. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I wonder if they would change horses mid stream, as it were. I think the video AE would be cool, but it's not quite mainstream enough for regular folk. The Mini, on the other hand, would be sufficiently mainstream if Apple cut the price a little bit and made Front Row a little more robust (and included a DVI to HDMI cable ;)).

The mini isn't really any more of a set top box than any other mac, other than it being small. I don't see going with an airport as a change in direction, they've been pretty adamant that it's not a set top box all along. For a TV unit to become mainstream, it would have to be $200 tops, and even that is pretty high. A mini will never get that cheap - and even if it was, it would still be a waste to have a whole computer used for just TV when a cheap, simple streaming device would do the job.

They don't need a new app, they just need to fix iTunes.

I guess I was thinking if they up the resolution too much on the movie it may look better on the big screen, but it will no longer be compatible on the ipod.

I don't think the problem would be fixable in the firmware either. How big are we going to make these files?

Right now, I can rip a DVD (that I own of course) and crunch it down to my iPOD's size 320x240 (roughly 600MB for a couple of hours) . Now... it supports up to 640x480, but that turns it into a pretty hefty file.

I don't see apple changing the resolution for movies unless you want rediculous download times. Just downloading some of these HD trailers takes forever, and they look terrible on the displays at the apple store (tried it there only because I thought it was my computer, not the technology).

I guess I would rather see an on demand viewing solution for the hi-def stuff, which I can already do through comcast, and stick to low res for my iPod Video when I am traveling.

Either way... like I said in another post... you are going to see an updated iPod Nano, upgraded processors for some of models still using the first generation intel chips, and a worthless video streamer that lets you feed your video to a TV without hooking your computer up to it lo res (which will look terrible on a 1080p television)... oh and the Movie downloads - probably from Disney Pixar only at first.

This would suck for me because the last thing I want to do is tie up my computer so somebody in my house can watch INCREDIBLES with bad picture and average sound in my living room.

My guess would be that they'd offer two versions of the movie, one for TV and one for iPod (either giving the user a choice or letting them have both). If download time is an issue, another option is having the user's computer render out the smaller version, if the machine is fast enough.

They pretty much have to up the quality if they want to sell movies and promote them for watching on a TV. I assume they'll go NTSC and not HD, the size for that is still managable for people with high speed connections.

I disagree that the airport will be "worthless", because I don't think they will ship one that is low rez. NTSC (dvd quality) at minimum. I don't think low rez is even an option for TV viewing, apple wouldn't release something they'd know was doomed to fail.

biw314
Sep 6, 2006, 07:55 AM
When did it come out? Wht aren't you guys talking about it? Did I miss something?

Sky Blue
Sep 6, 2006, 07:56 AM
It came out today.

djdarlek
Sep 6, 2006, 08:02 AM
I can't remember. Anyway, I still can't see Apple magically being able to offer HD films and all this wireless streaming malarky of gigantic files at this point. I've got a 10 meg net connection, but I don't want to not be able to use the internet for 6 hours or so while iTunes downloads a 6gig movie file.

All I'm looking for is a way to play my archive of DVD backups straight to our HDTV. Sure the quality will only be comparable with current DVDs, but for me, at the moment that is fine. In the UK I don't think you can even buy any dedicated HD players yet? I may be wrong (I think Toshiba is releasing one in October). Actually, being in the UK the whole Movie Store idea isn't going to affect us for at least a couple of years.

It annoys me that my iTunes music collection is slowly being taken over by Podcasts. I wish there was a way of having them listed in a seperate library. I hate listening to a tune and then it moves onto a Podcast without me realising.

I also hate the way that iTunes is being expanded into visual things. iTunes Movie Store is like saying iEars iEyes Store. I hope they rebrand the movie aspect; the 'Showtime' name to me seems perfect.

Also, if it really is 'Showtime', I hope Apple have thought of every angle over the last year or so and release the fabled iPod Video with touch screen to compliment the streaming solution.

G^2
Sep 6, 2006, 08:03 AM
Apple just posted new iMacs on their Canada webstore. Bigger brighter faster at 17, 20, and 24 inches with Core 2 Duo processors

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore/

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?mco=CDD6CB86&nclm=iMac

Yay for 24 inch iMacs! Yay for Core 2 Duo! :D

milo
Sep 6, 2006, 08:03 AM
Either way, what are you going to do with a HD version of the movie on your computer?

HD is not going to happen, at least not next tuesday.

Worth revisiting.

The raw uncompressed bitrate for 720p = 1280*720*24bpp*30fps/(1024*1024) = 633 Mbps for 1080i it's ~711 Mbps 320x240 it's more like 53 Mbps.

720p compressed in H.264 with 5.1 sound seems to work out to about 1100 MB for your typical 45 minute drama show (i.e. compressed down to ~3 Mbps). This compares to 200 MB for the same show from iTMS in 320x240 H.264 (700 kbps). Not bad when you consider that 720p has 12X as many pixels (1280/320=4, 720/240=3)

Basically your typical movie would be about 2GB.

B

So what would be the size for a decent encoding of 480 (p or i)? Basically about DVD quality, but with a more efficient codec, which is the most likely format for release next week.

prady16
Sep 6, 2006, 10:00 AM
I came across this interesting article which says that Amazon is also planning to offer movies online in its store and that it has almost finalized deals with at least 3 of the big studios.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-fi-movies6sep06,0,6420529.story?coll=la-home-headlines

balamw
Sep 6, 2006, 12:15 PM
I came across this interesting article which says that Amazon is also planning to offer movies online in its store and that it has almost finalized deals with at least 3 of the big studios.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-fi-movies6sep06,0,6420529.story?coll=la-home-headlines
Amazon was also suppsedly working on an iTMS/iPod killer that was to have launched this summer, with a subsidized/free player so perhaps the movie bit is linked to that?

B

Cooknn
Sep 6, 2006, 01:09 PM
HD is not going to happen, at least not next tuesday.I can't see Steve releasing anything but HD if it's meant to be viewed on a big screen. If there isn't a new 48-inch screen or a way to get the movies to a Hi-Def television I would then venture to guess they'll keep the resolution the same as it is currently :cool:

Daveway
Sep 6, 2006, 03:49 PM
Ship times on the Airport Extreme have been pushed back 1-3 weeks. Anyone else notice?

aswitcher
Sep 6, 2006, 03:51 PM
Ship times on the Airport Extreme have been pushed back 1-3 weeks. Anyone else notice?

No. iSights are also quit delayed.

donlphi
Sep 6, 2006, 07:41 PM
I don't think low rez is even an option for TV viewing, apple wouldn't release something they'd know was doomed to fail.

uh...

Apple III
LISA
The Newton
The G4 Cube
The Apple Hi-Fi (who the hell got suckered into that one?)
I swear steve jobs had a nephew or something that he let design a product for the iPOD. What a worthless system that is. IT FITS ON THE SHELF, BUT NOT WITH AN IPOD IN IT!!! GENIUS!!
APPLE REMOTE??

Do I really need to keep listing things?

All this Disney talk and it could get ugly at the iTUNES Movie Store.
:D

macnulty
Sep 6, 2006, 10:25 PM
Finally G5 Powerbooks.

Silentwave
Sep 6, 2006, 10:37 PM
hey, don't knock the cube! you can get a dual 1.6Ghz G4 cube nowadays :rolleyes:

Lebowski
Sep 7, 2006, 04:04 AM
Finally G5 Powerbooks.

i know. i have been waiting forever. tablet G5PBs.....

ipedro
Sep 7, 2006, 08:46 PM
I'm calling it now. Apple's new "media center" device will be the iPod itself. I'm thinking that Apple will release a dock well suited for high definition video output to an HD tv.
People will purchase movies on iTunes, their movies will be transfered to their iPod upon updating and then, they can take their iPod to their TV (or anybody elses) for viewing movies on the large screen.

Remember.. I called it ;)

OdduWon
Sep 7, 2006, 08:59 PM
:D it seems like the reason this apple is broadcasting to the event is so that they can show how their new ichat streaming dot mac movie/video chat ipod pack works;) .

APPLENEWBIE
Sep 8, 2006, 08:25 AM
I'm calling it now. Apple's new "media center" device will be the iPod itself. I'm thinking that Apple will release a dock well suited for high definition video output to an HD tv.
People will purchase movies on iTunes, their movies will be transfered to their iPod upon updating and then, they can take their iPod to their TV (or anybody elses) for viewing movies on the large screen.

Remember.. I called it ;)

I was just thinking something along those lines. You sit at the couch, iPod in hand. Use it as a super remote control, cycling through movies, iMovie, iTunes, quicktime content etc. With or without the TV on. iPod screen shows same thing as the tv display (control-wise). content is streamed from the media center which is nothing more than a wireless transfer device from your computer, or maybe it is all self contained content, or both. Hmmmmm.:rolleyes:

hrmpf
Sep 8, 2006, 08:32 AM
http://static.flickr.com/97/237568763_4d5f25185c_m.jpg

new ipod patent (http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/84/apple-patent-app-touch-sensitive-ipod-with-multiple-touch-sensitive-surfaces)

Coolerking
Sep 8, 2006, 08:35 AM
Because I don't know much about computers- can Leopard run on just Core Duo processors or does it need to be Core 2 Duo?

n-abounds
Sep 8, 2006, 09:00 AM
Because I don't know much about computers- can Leopard run on just Core Duo processors or does it need to be Core 2 Duo?

Leopard will even run on PowerPC macs.

Coolerking
Sep 8, 2006, 09:03 AM
Leopard will even run on PowerPC macs.

Ok so in other words you DON'T need a Core 2 Duo to run Leopard, right?

7on
Sep 8, 2006, 09:12 AM
Right.

Leopard will at the very least run on 2004 era macs and most likely all the way back to 2001.

Chundles
Sep 8, 2006, 09:13 AM

Hell no, Leopard will run on G4s, G5s, Core Duos, Core 2 Duos, maybe even the old G3s but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

Coolerking
Sep 8, 2006, 09:14 AM
Hell no, Leopard will run on G4s, G5s, Core Duos, Core 2 Duos, maybe even the old G3s but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

Thanks. Judging by what some people have said it sounded like you needed Core 2 Duo to run Leopard.

n-abounds
Sep 8, 2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks. Judging by what some people have said it sounded like you needed Core 2 Duo to run Leopard.

I think Core Duo aren't 64-bit processors or whatever. That might be where the confusion came in.

mrdice87
Sep 8, 2006, 12:50 PM
Ok, my prediction:

New nano will have to have a new name, or more than 4gb in the low end, otherwise it will be available as part of the get a free ipod campaign... i don't think apple will do that. Reminds me of a certain SNL skit.

or... mb and mbp will be upgraded to C2D... the rebate clearly lists only core duo systems as eligible. then you won't be able to get any free ipods except with a mac pro

there you have it

Chris Bangle
Sep 8, 2006, 12:55 PM
Ok, my prediction:

New nano will have to have a new name, or more than 4gb in the low end, otherwise it will be available as part of the get a free ipod campaign... i don't think apple will do that. Reminds me of a certain SNL skit.

or... mb and mbp will be upgraded to C2D... the rebate clearly lists only core duo systems as eligible. then you won't be able to get any free ipods except with a mac pro

there you have it

Hope they do rename the nano, nano sounds too commmon these days. everyones got a nano. Go back too mini or someting better, mini sounds awesome, but so does G5. ipod G5 sounds cool as we dont have imac G5's now

HecubusPro
Sep 8, 2006, 01:18 PM
Ok, my prediction:

there you have it

You're correct. As soon as the new iMacs were released, they were immediately excluded from the free iPod offer. If anyone is hoping that MBP's or MB's are updated to C2D before the 16th so they can get the free iPod from that promotion, it won't happen. If you want the free iPod, you'd better order a MB or MBP before/if they update those systems to C2D. It sucks because I was hoping to take advantage of that promotion when/if the updates happened before the 16th.

bobber205
Sep 8, 2006, 01:30 PM
Ok, my prediction:

there you have it
I remember that SNL skit too. That was great.

Much Ado
Sep 8, 2006, 01:40 PM

Introducing, and i'm thrilled about this- the new iPod invisa.

:)

steve_hill4
Sep 8, 2006, 01:49 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Apple released no details to retailers prior to an announcement, or if they did, they had an NDA to prevent that information leaking out to the public.

One person at work, (who seems to be desperate to know when the new iPods will be out), contacted our head offices to speak to the people in charge of buying in new products and the quantities. She was assured our branch would have "new iPods" by next Saturday.

1. If this is true, it fits in with the Tuesday announcement
2. They may have been telling her about new stocks, (unlikely since we haven't been having stock issues of late)
3. Our buyers have given us information before that has never materialised
4. It's pretty obvious to most, especially those that visit rumour sites like me, that after one year, new models are on their way, and the special event on Tuesday will see them announced
5. She is new and doesn't understand how the company works. If we were to get them in by Saturday 16th, they would have to arrive at our national warehouse around the 12th or 14th at the absolute latest. That would mean going by other shipping beforehand, the latest they could leave China would be perhaps Monday.

Since no other information like this has come forward, I remain sceptical we will get them in by then, but we got the nanos after 7 days last year, so it is possible. Four days is unlikely though, so they would have to ship them before they are announced. This would come back to others leaking information about boxes shipping and I haven't heard much along those lines yet. I again say though I remain fully confident in them being announced on Tuesday, just sceptical of the information that was given. If it was genuine, I think Apple needs to remind all of their NDAs.

We shall see.

MattDell
Sep 8, 2006, 01:55 PM
"I introduce to you... iPod Invisa!"

-Matt

dernhelm
Sep 8, 2006, 01:59 PM

It isn't VISTA. I plan on installing on my 2 yr old PB as soon as it is released.

dernhelm
Sep 8, 2006, 02:01 PM
I think Core Duo aren't 64-bit processors or whatever. That might be where the confusion came in.

Right. You won't get the full 64 bit native benfits of Leopard without either a G5 or a Core 2 Duo processor.

It'll still run on a G4 just fine.

Coolerking
Sep 8, 2006, 02:01 PM
It isn't VISTA. I plan on installing on my 2 yr old PB as soon as it is released.

And thank God that it isn't. It would be July of 2007 before it came out if Leopard was Vista.

n-abounds
Sep 8, 2006, 02:44 PM
Right. You won't get the full 64 bit native benfits of Leopard without either a G5 or a Core 2 Duo processor.

It'll still run on a G4 just fine.

Yea thanks, I really have no idea what 64-bit and 32-bit is about...all I know is that Core Duo didn't support it...

Now I'm buying a new mac soon- thinking of going with 17inch iMac. Will a 128MB video card be enough for Vista to run perfectly? I want as many features as possible...

b0x
Sep 9, 2006, 02:57 AM
I'm thinking Apple might also dump the price of the good old iPod Shuffle to $29 for a 512... They'll sell like hot cakes at that price!

Platform
Sep 9, 2006, 04:49 AM
I'm thinking Apple might also dump the price of the good old iPod Shuffle to $29 for a 512... They'll sell like hot cakes at that price!

Count me in for one :D

xUKHCx
Sep 9, 2006, 05:17 AM
You're correct. As soon as the new iMacs were released, they were immediately excluded from the free iPod offer. If anyone is hoping that MBP's or MB's are updated to C2D before the 16th so they can get the free iPod from that promotion, it won't happen. If you want the free iPod, you'd better order a MB or MBP before/if they update those systems to C2D. It sucks because I was hoping to take advantage of that promotion when/if the updates happened before the 16th.

Not true at least in the Uk, taken from the t & c's

Mac Product – any one of the following:
(i) iMac 20-inch 2GHz Intel Core Duo, iMac 17-inch 2GHz Intel Core
2 Duo, iMac 20-inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, iMac 20-inch
2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, iMac 24-inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo,
iMac 24-inch 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo;

J@ffa
Sep 9, 2006, 06:47 AM
So, the video streaming to TV device... how likely do you all think it is that they'll let you stream your own video through it? If I could stream my totally legally sourced DivX movies (ahem) through it that would be awesome beyond words!

n-abounds
Sep 9, 2006, 10:03 AM
So, the video streaming to TV device... how likely do you all think it is that they'll let you stream your own video through it? If I could stream my totally legally sourced DivX movies (ahem) through it that would be awesome beyond words!

I think they'd have to let you stream anything you want over it. The only problem I could see is that maybe it wouldn't support DivX or some other formats. Quicktime doesn't support DivX without plug-ins, right?

J@ffa
Sep 9, 2006, 10:20 AM
I think they'd have to let you stream anything you want over it. The only problem I could see is that maybe it wouldn't support DivX or some other formats. Quicktime doesn't support DivX without plug-ins, right?

That's right. But, with the plugins, it plays them just fine, so in theory it should be perfectly streamable, right?

DRewPi
Sep 9, 2006, 10:26 AM
New Ipods .... that's kool .....
New video movie store .... good !!!

We need some new MBP AND MB !!!

These cpus need an update really bad ... compared to what is goin to come out with the other pd competitors in two weeks with the C2D

I saw on a shope u can get an C2D Labtop for 856 bucks !!??!!!

that is pretty scary since the MB is more expensive and got Core Duos !!! :confused:

macman2790
Sep 9, 2006, 04:59 PM
all i want is a merom macbook pro

vansouza
Sep 9, 2006, 05:41 PM
world peace... cool... an iMac on every desk and an iPhone in every pocket.:D

DJMastaWes
Sep 9, 2006, 08:30 PM
Well, since the iMacs and Mac Minis are running Core 2 Duo now, what do you think of this;

•Sales review
•Chit-chat about iMacs with Core 2 Duo
•^ Leads into the announced ment of Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros (Maybe MacBook aswell)
• New iPod

One More Thing...
iTunes with Movies.

Seems reasonable and doable. It sounds perfect for like a 1 hour event.

Opinoins?

J@ffa
Sep 9, 2006, 10:10 PM
Well, since the iMacs and Mac Minis are running Core 2 Duo now, what do you think of this;

•Sales review
•Chit-chat about iMacs with Core 2 Duo
•^ Leads into the announced ment of Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros (Maybe MacBook aswell)
• New iPod

One More Thing...
iTunes with Movies.

Seems reasonable and doable. It sounds perfect for like a 1 hour event.

Opinoins?

If it was a surprise, maybe. Since there'll be no-one there who isn't impatiently waiting for Apple to announce the video store, Jobs isn't going to create false suspense. Maybe he'll start with the pleasantries about how great Apple is, marketshare rah rah, then introduce the Movie store and provide the basic details... THEN unleash the real point, the device to plug stuff into your TV. They can work in the new MBPs/MBs as part of the whole glorious iLife spiel, or something.

chopsuey158
Sep 9, 2006, 10:13 PM
I'd say switch the last two, make the ipod the 'one more thing' event and have the itunes movie store presented after the new mbp's. That would be a smoother transition ("oh, on your new mbp, you can download movies with the new itunes movie store") and then after that say "and one more thing, we also have the new ipod for you movie enjoyment." Who knows (besides steve jobs), but that's just my two cents worth.

xPismo
Sep 9, 2006, 10:31 PM
...work in the new MBPs/MBs as part of the whole glorious iLife spiel, or something.

That would be great but honestly, after all the updates this week, i don't think its gonna happen.

So a few more months before Apple makes *my* MBP 15". Sadly.

DJMastaWes
Sep 9, 2006, 10:34 PM
Two Questions...

1) If Merom MacBook Pros ship on the 12th, and I order mine that day, around how long would it take for me to get?

2) I hear there is going to be TONS of problems seeing as how it's going to be the first of Rev B. Models. Any truth to that?

MacinDoc
Sep 10, 2006, 12:04 AM
2) I hear there is going to be TONS of problems seeing as how it's going to be the first of Rev B. Models. Any truth to that?
With the exception of firmware updates, Merom is a drop-in replacement for Yonah, so, architecturally, there should be few changes. There will likely be a few case changes to incoporate the magnetic latch and easy drive swapping. With such minor changes, these laptops are no more likely to have problems than other laptop. According to Consumer Reports (http://www.consumerreports.org:80/cro/index.htm), the industry rate of repairs on laptops is 16-19%, with Apple coming in at 17% (considerably worse than its repair rate for desktops). So, there is about a 1 in 6 chance that your MBP will need repairs at some time.
That would be great but honestly, after all the updates this week, i don't think its gonna happen.

So a few more months before Apple makes *my* MBP 15". Sadly.
Well, Steve had to hold SOMETHING back to announce on the 12th. I don't think he wants a repeat of the iPod HiFi/leather case announcement, where people were saying, "Is that all?". I figure it has to either be updated laptops or AidenShaw's minitower. Well, in a few more days, we'll all know.

Yvan256
Sep 10, 2006, 01:03 AM
That's right. But, with the plugins, it plays them just fine, so in theory it should be perfectly streamable, right?

I don't know where you got your plug-ins, but DivX under Quicktime freezes my whole computer for a few seconds when it loads the file.

Besides, forget DivX, especially with Apple devices. Rip your DVDs to H.264/AAC.

aswitcher
Sep 10, 2006, 06:44 AM
Given this event is on, is this now the only thing going on this week that we expect Apple to release something new?

I ask because Paris Expo is on and I was wondering if people had reason to believe that might also be used to release new Apple stuff without a keynote.

DRewPi
Sep 10, 2006, 08:37 AM
Since the new iMacs came out the minis seem pretty expensive to me since u get a better processor with the iMac than the mini .... ??? :confused:

zwida
Sep 10, 2006, 08:53 AM
Well, Steve had to hold SOMETHING back to announce on the 12th. I don't think he wants a repeat of the iPod HiFi/leather case announcement, where people were saying, "Is that all?". I figure it has to either be updated laptops or AidenShaw's minitower. Well, in a few more days, we'll all know.

Don't you think the new movie store and sexy new iPods are enough? I guess there might be some kind of new product launch (phone, or streaming movie device, or whatever), but I'll be surprised if there's any Mac hardware bumps of any kind during this speech. It just wouldn't mesh with the "It's Showtime" theme.

sam10685
Sep 10, 2006, 08:58 AM

wow. your rather optimistic. hope everything works out for you.

Gatorman
Sep 10, 2006, 12:11 PM
You know, thinking about this right now, it makes sense that they could possibly release the Merom MBP at this event. Apple could use the pitch:

"Bored? Feel like watching a movie? Forgot to pack your favorite DVD from home? NO PROBLEM! Now you can use your new MBP and an internet connection to watch your movie anytime and anywhere from the new iTunes movie store! From planes, to hotels, to the long boring seminars, where you sit in the back, as long as you can get connected, it's showtime!"

And that would be a great opportunity to introduce the new line. Granted, you can do all of that with the current stuff now, but I'm just being optimistic. :D

philipcolett
Sep 10, 2006, 04:19 PM
Does anyone know where this will be live updated? macrumors, appleinsider? thanks

iGary
Sep 10, 2006, 04:27 PM
I hate to say it, but my guess is this is an iPod event, not a MB MBP event. ;)

DJMastaWes
Sep 10, 2006, 04:31 PM
I hate to say it, but my guess is this is an iPod event, not a MB MBP event. ;)
Gary. You just slowly and painfully killed me inside. I hope you are wrong.

balamw
Sep 10, 2006, 04:33 PM
Gary. You just slowly and painfully killed me inside. I hope you are wrong.
Yeah it's not a MB or MBP even since it marks the debut of the all new PowerBook G5! :p

Don't give up hope yet. There are rumored Macs that could fit the bill. The iTablet or the iHome media Mac could "fit" within an iPod themed event....

B

conradzoo
Sep 10, 2006, 04:47 PM
I am not worried at all. Yes the next event will be all about the Movie store and next gen iPod.

Some love it some not. For the lather ones, the one more thing, the MBP update, "by public demand".

Everybody is happy. Well almost.

Aperture
Sep 10, 2006, 05:00 PM
What time is the Sept. 12th event taking place? Anyone know? I am going to be in school and want to know if I am going to be able to get in on the action live. I doubt it though.:(

Yebot
Sep 10, 2006, 05:37 PM
What time is the Sept. 12th event taking place? Anyone know? I am going to be in school and want to know if I am going to be able to get in on the action live. I doubt it though.:(

10am Pacific time. 1pm our time.

Silentwave
Sep 10, 2006, 06:12 PM
Maybe Steve will be using the new iChat Theater features of Leopard to do his keynote presentation ;)

balamw
Sep 10, 2006, 06:18 PM
Maybe Steve will be using the new iChat Theater features of Leopard to do his keynote presentation ;)
They've actually created an AI based on a download of Steve's brain into a Mac Pro and will use one of the new VoiceOver personalities as its voice.

Virtual Steve will take over the CEO job immediately Max Headrom style. All future keynotes will be given by Virtual Steve.

B

QuarterSwede
Sep 10, 2006, 06:34 PM
My guess is that the Core 2 Duo MBs & MBPs will be a silent release who knows when.

The Showtime event will be for the iTunes Movie Store and an upgraded iPod with a slight design change (not the widescreen iPod). And possibly an Airport Express with video streaming, which would be sweet because I'd like to get another Airport Express anyway.

Patch^
Sep 10, 2006, 06:41 PM
For the last few days there has been a lot of adverts of iTunes and the Nano on TV, like the city one "This ain't the first time!". So Apple I think is already promoting them a bit more :) Perhaps we will see an updated Nano, iPod, Music/Movie store and stuff :)

(sorry if something has been mention, I can't be arsed to read all 10 pages :P )

APPLENEWBIE
Sep 10, 2006, 07:03 PM
THE FOLLOWING WRITTEN BY JOHN MARKOFF, New York Times from International Herald Tribune website:

Has Apple Computer's chief executive, Steve Jobs, found a way to connect the PC to the TV?

On Tuesday, Apple will hold another of Jobs's marketing events here to unveil what trade publications and analysts indicate will be his next campaign: to transform the distribution of Hollywood movies as thoroughly as he has revolutionized the recording industry with the iTunes Music Store.

A distribution deal with Disney and sleeker, higher-capacity video iPods are part of the consensus among those who handicap Apple product announcements, but company executives have hinted that Apple has at least one bigger idea on tap.

Jobs needs one. In his quest to remake Hollywood distribution in the Internet era, his main challenge is one that has bedeviled the entire personal computer industry. Today, despite many efforts by Microsoft, Intel and a variety of start- up companies to insinuate the computer into home entertainment, almost all movies in the home are viewed by cable, satellite or DVD players, making it possible for Hollywood to control both piracy and pricing.

The computer industry, under the banner of "digital convergence," has been looking longingly at the American living room for several years. As long ago as 1993, Microsoft tried to rally the cable industry under the banner of Cablesoft, an abortive effort to turn the home cable box into a Microsoft-based PC.

More recently, Microsoft and Intel have invested millions in a slow-growing effort to offer Media Center PCs that promise a single home entertainment box. Separately, Microsoft has been trying to start a business in Internet-based television technology, to arm telephone companies to compete with cable operators. And in January, Intel introduced a microprocessor system called Viiv, designed for PC-based digital entertainment. So far it has found few backers.

Despite proclaiming that its Macintosh computer is the center of a digital home strategy, Apple has taken only baby steps into the video era, offering iPods that play television videos on tiny screens and a software program called Front Row, largely hidden within the Mac, for managing video collections, music playlists and slide shows.

Those efforts may become more aggressive on Tuesday, but so far Jobs has kept his strategy well hidden. Much speculation has centered on a living- room-ready version of the company's least expensive computer, the Mac Mini, a compact desktop model originally positioned as an inexpensive way for PC users to switch to the Macintosh market. A living-room Mini could play DVDs, download Internet data like digital movies and include a TV tuner.

A more intriguing possibility widely discussed by former Apple engineers is that Apple may use wireless technologies like Wi-Fi and Ultra-Wideband to stream digital content from a Macintosh to the TV. Such a system would allow the video to be played on the TV with the computer's Apple remote control.

Such an approach would appeal to Jobs's Spartan aesthetic. And it tracks with one of Apple's peripheral products, AirPort Express, which makes it possible to stream digital audio wirelessly to speakers in different rooms of a home.

Moreover, such an approach would keep Hollywood digital video content locked up on a Macintosh and stream it to the TV using a connector called HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface), which is engineered to offer copy protection.

The obstacle to such a wireless home video service is that real-world wireless environments in the home are replete with interference from devices like microwave ovens, wireless video cameras and phones, and uncooperative neighbors.

"The 'last mile' problem of delivering broadband to the home has largely been solved," said Steve Perlman, a former Apple engineer. "What remains is the 'last hundred feet' problem." By that, he meant reliably delivering high-definition video to the TV using Internet- based technology.

"Once that has been solved," he said, "it will completely transform the entertainment landscape."

iJawn108
Sep 10, 2006, 10:35 PM
I predict the following:

iTunes Movie Store with... 1080 HD movie downloads.
Updated Cinema Displays.
New Airport Extreme with 802.11n (for streaming the said Movies wirelessly)
iPod updates, either slightly modified nano(new cases+more compacity) and/or updated video iPods with higher compacity for said HD movies.

;)

I really do think theywill be available in 1080, and that will be a very big deal.

blueray? hd dvd? who cares i can just get them on itunes.

twoodcc
Sep 10, 2006, 10:38 PM
here's hoping to something good in the living room!*

we'll see soon enough

aswitcher
Sep 11, 2006, 01:15 AM
HDMI wireless coupled with a wireless iPod/Tablet that allows you to see your controls would be a must for many Mac fans.

It would make a lot of sense if Apple isn't going to do a Mac Pro Mini to do a HDMI wireless instead. And because your Mac is likely to be in another room (target audience being the iMac) they need a wireless (non-line of sight) remote, so either an iPod or a new device.

SPUY767
Sep 11, 2006, 09:57 AM
I'm hoping for iMacs because I could care less about downloading Movies. Hell the only TV I download are the free eps. Unless you can get me 5.1 surround, DVD quality for a monthly fee that is less than Netflix... well, Netflix is still king to me. :)

Especially since DVDs ar easier to copy than these files would ever be. Not that i copy DVD's or anything.

I predict the following:

iTunes Movie Store with... 1080 HD movie downloads.
Updated Cinema Displays.
New Airport Extreme with 802.11n (for streaming the said Movies wirelessly)
iPod updates, either slightly modified nano(new cases+more compacity) and/or updated video iPods with higher compacity for said HD movies.

;)

I really do think theywill be available in 1080, and that will be a very big deal.

blueray? hd dvd? who cares i can just get them on itunes.

Well, an 8 meg connection is adequate to stream the HD trailers in 720p. I honestly don't think that Apple would bother offering the movies in any higher quality, as the codec scales nicely, and most HD sets are 720p or just that ED crap. When a set says 1080i on the side it usually means that it can decode a 1080i signal, not that it can display it. If you have a 1080i capable TV, you'll know it cause your ass will hurt much more than the guy who buys the 720p set.

Cooknn
Sep 11, 2006, 12:44 PM
A lot of things have to go right for me to be impressed tomorrow.

Worst case scenario IMHO, full length movies at the current resolution for $9.99 and you can watch them on your new 24-inch iMac! Bleh. I hope I'm wrong. Steve said it once and it's still true. Nobody wants to watch TV on their computer :rolleyes:

Best case scenario, full length movies in Hi-Def at a monthly subscription fee that can be streamed wirelessly with the new Airport HD to my Hi-Def television. Should be interesting either way.

davede70
Sep 11, 2006, 09:32 PM
Could the combo of the update on the airport extreme and the update to the video ipod = a way to wirelessly update your ipod?

spicyapple
Sep 11, 2006, 09:37 PM
Since we are on the eve of the announcement, I thought I'd give my 2 cents. :)

I hoping for downloadable movies to own at either $9.99 or $14.99 and in high definition. It might be in 720P as a download service just can't compete with Netflix or walking to your friendly neighbourhood DVD rental store. And because the movies are in H.264, the download of HD movies should not take any more time than regular DVD, although if they released movies in 480P, it wouldn't be too bad, either, although with DRM and the time to download, doesn't make it competitive against DVD, plus you don't get the fancy packaging or the hard-disc copy.

Cooknn
Sep 11, 2006, 10:10 PM
hoping for downloadable movies to own at either $9.99 or $14.99How many movies a month do you watch?! $14.99 * 10 pays my cable bill with internet included :rolleyes:

OdduWon
Sep 12, 2006, 01:31 AM
this is great:) were going to be able to control front row with our new touch screen ipods. apple has kept this "close to the chest" because it involves leapord, core animation and the new front row. they even showed it to us when demoing core animation. they had all the data for the floating songs right there while they were just raining down in the background. think about it you could see a what you streamed to the tv on the ipod and touch albums or dvd covers floating in the library. :D hope bluetooth is enough for that seems the movie dongle transef speeds are going to be fast. hope they do release a mac mini tubeport package too.