PDA

View Full Version : Apple Cell Phone Ready?

MacRumors
Sep 5, 2006, 02:02 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Analyst Shaw Wu (http://guides.macrumors.com/Shaw_Wu_%28Analyst%29) of American Technology Research claims (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2017) that the long-rumored Apple cell phone is now a reality with the final pieces in place.

The analyst's report surprisingly provides details (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2017) of the unreleased product. According to the analyst:

"The design will be an iPod nano-like candy bar form factor and come in three colors (we are not certain of the exact colors but we suspect black, white and platinum, similar to Apple's current color scheme of iPods and Macs)."

The details of the launch and provider partners remain undecided. Meanwhile, a recent Appleinsider report (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060811110535.shtml) claimed that Steve Jobs had been boasting about Apple's upcoming phone offering to his inner circle.

spicyapple
Sep 5, 2006, 02:04 PM
I can finally ditch my RAZR! :)

iGary
Sep 5, 2006, 02:04 PM
Whatever.

Seriousy, enough.

ImNoSuperMan
Sep 5, 2006, 02:07 PM
Noooooo..

It says First half of 2007. Couldnt it be sooner. I really need one right now.

DavidLeblond
An analyst says its a reality.

Well then, it MUST BE TRUE! :eek:

:p

afields
please for the love of god, before the end of the year! I'd buy this immediately.

alec
Sep 5, 2006, 02:08 PM
Form factor? I don't care! I want to know what's going to be inside of this phone, especially how much storage. And will this include .Mac syncing, mobile version of OS X or iChat or iTunes? Yes, we know it's coming from Apple, so it will at least LOOK pretty. But I'm not holding my breath until we know what's under said pretty-ness.

getBytesLoaded
Sep 5, 2006, 02:09 PM
I really hope this is a reality. It seems to me that we'll be lucky if the iPhone even shows itself in 2007. Either way, I'll be paying more every month for my non-contract plan and waiting patiently for Apple to get this thing in the can.

Steve1496
Sep 5, 2006, 02:09 PM
Seems like Shaw Wu has something new to say about the iPod and Apple every day.

Anyways, I really wouldn't be surprised. The timing is right.

Jopling
Sep 5, 2006, 02:10 PM
bout time, my last phone broke and ive been stuck with a t616 that drops calls 25% of the time because its so beat up.

Ganymede
Sep 5, 2006, 02:10 PM
Now I'm just getting teased by rumors. First it was the MBP that I want, then the media center thingy, now the mythic iPhone. Why do I follow this stuff when it just gets my hopes up? Ah well, I'll buy the phone if they release it.

HecubusPro
Sep 5, 2006, 02:12 PM
Will apple be a cell phone service provider if/when this ships, or is this iPhone simply something that makes internet phone calls easier? Will Apple just provide the phone and allow Sprint, Verizon, etc. provide the service? Interesting.

asphalt-proof
Sep 5, 2006, 02:12 PM
A phone makes sense as it is fast becoming the digital center of our mobile lives. I just hope it has PDA functions built in. I hate carrying around more than one gadget in my pocket.

CJM
Sep 5, 2006, 02:13 PM
It better get released in Europe with little gap between the US.

I'd like a new phone, and one made by Apple is a definite yes.

Though with all this great stuff coming, I'll be broke :P

jonharris200
Sep 5, 2006, 02:16 PM
Apple showed with the Intel transition that keeping the same form factor gives consumers an intuitive confidence in new products.

Sounds like the iPhone will mirror this by trading off the popularity of the nano form factor.

dizastor
Sep 5, 2006, 02:19 PM
Shaw Wu is really making a name for himself in the rumor mongering business lately

prady16
Sep 5, 2006, 02:20 PM
This is what i am talking about! Perfect timing for me as my contract with Verizon just got over!
I would hate it if the service provider blocks most of the features of the phone as Verizon did with RAZR.

MT37
Sep 5, 2006, 02:24 PM
I would for sure get one.

Thanatoast
Sep 5, 2006, 02:25 PM
A phone makes sense as it is fast becoming the digital center of our mobile lives. I just hope it has PDA functions built in. I hate carrying around more than one gadget in my pocket.
My number one concern. I need a pda with my phone, and if Apple's not doing it, I'm stuck.

prady16
Sep 5, 2006, 02:27 PM
My number one concern. I need a pda with my phone, and if Apple's not doing it, I'm stuck.
Wouldnt it be great if apple iphone had features of a phone, pda, and ipod and if it can be used as a modem for a laptop to access the internet?

roland.g
Sep 5, 2006, 02:29 PM
I would get one in like 2 years after it has gone through revisions and everyone else has had problems with it. Sure I'll want one. But I'm happy for now since I have the kewlest phone out - Nokia 8801!

p0intblank
Sep 5, 2006, 02:33 PM
Only Apple can excite me with a phone. :) We all know it's coming; it's just a matter of... well, when? I still like the name iChat mobile, as someone suggested in an earlier thread. I'm very interested to see how Apple designs it to interact with our Macs. Obviously iTunes support will be present. iSync with Address Book is also a given. What else?

Shagrat
Sep 5, 2006, 02:33 PM

Fat chance! Probably about 6 months to a year, i'll bet.

Still no movies/tv/video on UK iTunes....:(

nagromme
Sep 5, 2006, 02:49 PM
Even the analyst doesn't say it WILL be released soon, merely that it's ready enough that it COULD be.

Groovey
Sep 5, 2006, 02:50 PM
I really don't believe it would be coming. Hardly... Possible, yes, but hardly.

HecubusPro
Sep 5, 2006, 02:54 PM
I would get one in like 2 years after it has gone through revisions and everyone else has had problems with it. Sure I'll want one. But I'm happy for now since I have the kewlest phone out - Nokia 8801!

I agree with that sentiment, if only because I'm on contract with my phone for another year and a half. By that time, we'll know how viable the phone and service is, and whether it's actually worth it (let alone it's a reality or not :) .)

rockthecasbah
Sep 5, 2006, 02:54 PM
Enough with the iPhone rumors. Really i'm suffocating from these dead rumors. We get it, people want a Cell Phone from Apple, but there is no need to be this obsessive about it :mad:

zwida
Sep 5, 2006, 02:58 PM
Enough with the iPhone rumors. Really i'm suffocating from these dead rumors. We get it, people want a Cell Phone from Apple, but there is no need to be this obsessive about it :mad:

That's true, but the same can be said for almost any nifty thing that folks here are waiting on. MR would go out of business if people stopped obsessing.

iDrinkKoolAid
Sep 5, 2006, 02:59 PM
Yes, burnt out on the iPhone rumors. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then I'm not a believer... :(

JSchwage
Sep 5, 2006, 03:03 PM
I've been looking to buy a new cell phone. If Apple is really going to release a mobile phone, I've already decided which phone I'd like to get. It would be really cool if it had some kind of retro dialer with the iPod scroll wheel.

nitynate
Sep 5, 2006, 03:03 PM
This is almost as bad as powerbook g5 rumors.

Goddamn.

Shut up!

Tommyg117
Sep 5, 2006, 03:05 PM
i won't believe it til i'm holding it in my fat little paws.

Machead III
Sep 5, 2006, 03:21 PM
Britain is the second largest mobile phone market on Earth. The US is what, the 5th? They'd better cater of Japan, Korea and Britain or it's game over.

aristobrat
Sep 5, 2006, 03:24 PM

Goddamn.

Shut up!
I wasn't around for the PB G5 rumors.

Were industry analysts the ones speculating on that like Shaw Wu is on this?

afields
Sep 5, 2006, 03:26 PM
guys, I think people are so obsessive about the iPhone because the (US) phone market is kind of pathetic. Most of the really good phones you have to purchase unlocked. Has anybody actually played with the half-assed "chocolate" phone? It's horrible and it's still selling.

Apple has the potential to completely tear up the market. None of the carriers are very mac friendly. Using your phone as a modem usually involves some sort of crack, and it's also hard to update firmware since everything is for PC. If apple can do anywhere near what it did with the iPod but with the phone industry......it's over.

Macnoviz
Sep 5, 2006, 03:28 PM
Not on 12 september, we already have new iPods, nano's, iMacs, merom MBP, iTMoS, and one more thing (2nd digital media revoltion after iPod)

It's gonna take hours:eek:

puuukeey
Sep 5, 2006, 03:29 PM
These phones better be amazing and not annoying. nothing will make me hate apple more than seeing a 13 year old screaming into her iphone while driving her SUV.

NOTHING!

if anyone can do it, apple can.

puuukeey
Sep 5, 2006, 03:32 PM
iphone :mad:
iphone + ichat AV :D

Macnoviz
Sep 5, 2006, 03:33 PM
guys, I think people are so obsessive about the iPhone because the (US) phone market is kind of pathetic. Most of the really good phones you have to purchase unlocked. Has anybody actually played with the half-assed "chocolate" phone? It's horrible and it's still selling.

Apple has the potential to completely tear up the market. None of the carriers are very mac friendly. Using your phone as a modem usually involves some sort of crack, and it's also hard to update firmware since everything is for PC. If apple can do anywhere near what it did with the iPod but with the phone industry......it's over.

In Belgium, it's forbidden to sell the phone hooked to one provider, and prohibiting others, it's actually quite relaxing not having to worry about hidden fees or restrictions when buying a phone>

But on topic, I think there is definitly a market for a phone with a lot of capabilities, and an Apple designed user interface, because there is not one single phone that has a good quality, and is easy to use. People thought the MP3 player market was crowded and saturated before the iPod came out.

I just hope they stop making product that just have an i in front of what it is. I think a lot of people are getting enough of all this iStuff

milo
Sep 5, 2006, 03:38 PM
Nope. It's not ready.

We won't see an apple phone for months, at least.

true777
Sep 5, 2006, 03:43 PM
Mwsf '07.

Deefuzz
Sep 5, 2006, 03:44 PM
Interesting...I do indeed wonder if Apple does pursue the mobile phone market which provider they will be aligned with? Most likely Cingular given the track record they've had so far with their iTunes enabled phones.

Well hopefully people will get what they want...An iPhone could be pretty cool.

wmmk
Sep 5, 2006, 03:48 PM
just the day after i ordered a samsung online. oh well, i'm still getting a free bluetooth camera flip phone, and I'm sure an apple device would be a lot ore money, and might not even work with cingular which would make my rate wayyyyyyyy more than $9.99 (my current rate).

quigleybc
Sep 5, 2006, 03:49 PM
I'm gonna call a big fat BS on this one...

I'll believe it when I see it......

And I would buy it in a heartbeat.....

zwida
Sep 5, 2006, 03:51 PM
Mwsf '07.

Yeah, that seems like logical timing. I can't see when or how they'd launch it before then (assuming they don't launch it next week).

red41
Sep 5, 2006, 03:52 PM
Britain is the second largest mobile phone market on Earth. The US is what, the 5th? They'd better cater of Japan, Korea and Britain or it's game over.

Really? Britiain is larger than the US? I'm not saying you are wrong by any means, but that really suprises me. Just by population alone I would have thought the US would be larger.

mdntcallr
Sep 5, 2006, 04:00 PM
sounds neat. but honestly after having a treo 650.... I would much rather the additional option of a smart PDA/Phone/Ipod.

that would go much farther than a mini cell phone/ipod.

just my thoughts.

Cygnus311
Sep 5, 2006, 04:12 PM
Obviously the phone will be only available to select providers. I don't see many people paying early termination fees to switch to whatever provider is using the Apple phone. I know I wouldn't.

MacSamurai
Sep 5, 2006, 04:16 PM
It is Tuesday...and lol only just thought of it now,but will it have a mac os thingy like windows has windows mobile?that would be sex on a phone...me need iphone

hawken1
Sep 5, 2006, 04:29 PM
please let this rumor be real for once...

I will buy the Apple phone the same day it comes out!

Seasought
Sep 5, 2006, 04:39 PM
If anyone can pull off a great cell phone design (both hardware and software) it's Apple.

I checked out the new "Chocolate" phone...wasn't impressed personally.

I continue to hope this happens, but given my distaste concerning current cell phones I won't lose any sleep if this doesn't come to light for some time.

hawken1
Sep 5, 2006, 04:44 PM
Not Shaw Wu Again!
Reader post by: john55440
Posted on: September 5, 2006, 1:36 PM PDT
Story: Apple cell phone almost here, analyst says
>isn't sure exactly<

Shaw Wu "isn't sure exactly" of anything, but likes to make things up, to get his name in print.

This is the same clown who "reviewed" the Zune based on the FCC filing of the Wi-Fi portion of the player. Never mind that he has never used a Zune , or touched a Zune, doesn't know the product's features, doesn't know the product's technical specifications...

Dr.Gargoyle
Sep 5, 2006, 04:45 PM
If the iPhone is released the 12th, I really dont care exactly how it looks like or what it does, as long as I can make a call and play tunes, I will order it the second it is released.

iJawn108
Sep 5, 2006, 04:46 PM
Better get one it Apple or I'll be buying something else. :p

Squonk
Sep 5, 2006, 04:48 PM
Please Steve, say it is so!!! I've been a good boy this year...:D

And my SE 637 drops calls more than I drop my pen (which is a lot).

killr_b
Sep 5, 2006, 04:52 PM
If Apple made a cell phone it would likely be a Cingular GSM phone, since that's basically a world ready phone.

But since it's Apple I wanna see a Verizon data phone that runs off the 802.11 standard for iChat AV in your pocket. Not to mention the insta-modem factor. I'm sure they aren't bothering with just a phone.

tvon
Sep 5, 2006, 04:56 PM

I'd like a new phone, and one made by Apple is a definite yes.

Though with all this great stuff coming, I'll be broke :P

I realize this is what happens with every other fancy new phone, but I imagine an Apple phone would come out in the US first and Europe later.

SilvorX
Sep 5, 2006, 04:58 PM
When (if) Rogers Wireless gets it in Canada, they'll release it probably the beginning of next year, with lots of locked functions (ie no ability to use mp3s/m4as as ringtones)

I'll buy it unlocked when it does come out though..

jhedges3
Sep 5, 2006, 04:59 PM
I still like the name iChat mobile, as someone suggested in an earlier thread.
I don't like the name iChat mobile. For one thing, iChat is (as you know) the name of an application and presumably the phone would be more than a mobile version of this app (regardless of whether the phone itself included iChat). Also, it seems like i* names are becoming a thing of the past. A better name would be Mac something. Like MacPhone or MacMobile or MacCell.

aswitcher
Sep 5, 2006, 05:00 PM
Mwsf '07.

Yeah, thats what I am thinking.

Showtime is movies.

Fotograffiti
Sep 5, 2006, 05:04 PM
If the iPhone is released the 12th, I really dont care exactly how it looks like or what it does, as long as I can make a call and play tunes, I will order it the second it is released.

Geez I love Apple too but I would actually care what the phone looks like and what it does. As far as you're concerned they could slap an Apple logo on a Nokia Engage and you would snatch that sucker right up. *L*

netdog
Sep 5, 2006, 05:06 PM
iFon

jhedges3
Sep 5, 2006, 05:06 PM

Goddamn.

Shut up!
I donít get it. Is someone forcing you to read these rumors?

I propose that you have veto power over what is discussed from this point forward. If something is too cool or brought up too frequently youíll be responsible for calming down and silencing the rest of us.

Fotograffiti
Sep 5, 2006, 05:10 PM
These phones better be amazing and not annoying. nothing will make me hate apple more than seeing a 13 year old screaming into her iphone while driving her SUV.

NOTHING!

if anyone can do it, apple can.

How can Apple design a phone that will make it impossible for a 13 year old to scream into while driving her SUV?? I think you might be putting too much pressure on Apple there. Maybe a shock collar that can detect the high pitched squeal of an adolescent teenage girl...hooked into the ignition of the car so when it detects the girls voice and the engine engaged at the same time.....zzzzzzztttttttt!!!!! Ok that went way to far. Apple can make a cool phone...but it is still up to the people not to be idiots while using them.

840quadra
Sep 5, 2006, 05:11 PM
if it is true, please make it multi network compatible. I am sick of the bait and switch crap to get phone users to switch network providers, just to have an other provider come out with an other hot feature (or phone), that is exclusive to them too.

I hate cell phone contracts!

sbrhwkp3
Sep 5, 2006, 05:12 PM
I don't know if anyone posted this, but perhaps the phone plays videos, and the launch is going along with the launch of the video store.... or the phone hooks up to your iPod and you can download songs from your phone and load them onto your ipod.

dsnort
Sep 5, 2006, 05:17 PM
How can Apple design a phone that will make it impossible for a 13 year old to scream into while driving her SUV?? I think you might be putting too much pressure on Apple there. Maybe a shock collar that can detect the high pitched squeal of an adolescent teenage girl...hooked into the ignition of the car so when it detects the girls voice and the engine engaged at the same time.....zzzzzzztttttttt!!!!! Ok that went way to far. Apple can make a cool phone...but it is still up to the people not to be idiots while using them.

If a 13 year old girl is driving an SUV we have a larger problem than her phone!

Dr.Gargoyle
Sep 5, 2006, 05:18 PM
Geez I love Apple too but I would actually care what the phone looks like and what it does. As far as you're concerned they could slap an Apple logo on a Nokia Engage and you would snatch that sucker right up. *L*
I don't know if you have noticed, but MacRumors is a forum for Apple products. Apple just doesn't make abominations like Nokia...so yeah, if Apple makes it I will buy it given the above mentioned assumptions.

ezekielrage_99
Sep 5, 2006, 05:18 PM
I am seriously doubting if there is any iPhone, it is kind of getting stupid with these iPod next tuesday rumors.....

840quadra
Sep 5, 2006, 05:22 PM
I am seriously doubting if there is any iPhone, it is kind of getting stupid with these iPod next tuesday rumors.....

Welcome to Macrumors, it is like this all the time. Some weeks are worse then others. You just get used to it!

boncellis
Sep 5, 2006, 05:24 PM
The build up for the Apple-branded cell phone has been such that it would be nearly impossible to live up to the expectations. The "Chocolate" phone that came out recently could have been in anticipation of an offering from Apple, but if that's all Apple's version is designed to compete with, it'll be easy for me to stay away.

I tend to think that some of these rumors aren't discrete products as much as they are consolidated into a few products.

Fotograffiti
Sep 5, 2006, 05:32 PM
I don't know if you have noticed, but MacRumors is a forum for Apple products. Apple just doesn't make abominations like Nokia...so yeah, if Apple makes it I will buy it given the above mentioned assumptions.

Yeah my apologies...I didn't notice this site was about Apple products.
/sarcasm It was a joke . You don't have to be a jerk about it

macenforcer
Sep 5, 2006, 05:33 PM
I already have the apple cellphone. It plays itunes, is razor thin, unscratchable, has bluetooth and plays games. Its called the moto Slivr.

jhedges3
Sep 5, 2006, 05:36 PM
Welcome to Macrumors, it is like this all the time. Some weeks are worse then others. You just get used to it!
Seems like youíll only have something to get used if you expect MR to be something that it is not.

As we all know, some are better than others in terms of getting the release date correct. In some cases, there will be years of discussion about the same device and again and again false positives will come up, telling everyone itís on the way even though it isnít

But insight on when somethingís going to happen isnít the singular, or even the primary, purpose of these discussions. Theyíre an opportunity to talk about what MAY BE released and what sort of functionality/design it will have, how it will work, what the target market (beside us) will be, etc.

Misplaced Mage
Sep 5, 2006, 05:37 PM
Put me down in the, "I'll believe it when I see it" crowd. Getting decent battery life out of anything with a 0.3W radio transmitter in it is difficult -- unless you don't use it to actually talk to anyone, or put in a large battery. "Ye cannae change the laws o' physics!" Or electrochemistry, for that matter. :D

Then there's the whole broadcast standards issue:
Too slow for music downloads (IMHO):
GSM - best worldwide coverage and market share, but the channel for voice data (hence any other kind of data) is <14.4kbps.
EDGE - improves on GSM by bonding multiple GSM channels together, but that still only gets it to ~180kbps under ideal conditions. Marginal at best.
CDMA (IS-95) - has excellent coverage in North America, Latin America, and South Korea, but again is limited to <14.4kbps.
CDMA-1X (IS-2000) - similar coverage to CDMA, but at up to ~153kbps (ideal conditions). Same problems as CDMA and EDGE.

Fast enough for music downloads (again, IMHO):
CDMA EV-DO (and REV A) - Downlink peaks at >2.5Mbps. Same coverage problem as CDMA.
UMTS/3G/3GSM/WCDMA - Downlink peaks at >1.92Mbps. Broad deployment in Europe, growing deployment in U.S. The air interface (the radio) actually is CDMA, it's just not using the IS-95/2000 standard to avoid a lot of Qualcomm's IP.
HSDPA - UMTS upgrade. Theoretical downlink speeds approaching 14.4Mbps. Still being deployed.

Therefore, I think UMTS would be the way for Apple to go for the broadest market opportunity at this time with a phone that does downloads of full-quality iTunes music files. In the U.S., since Cingular already has its own WMA-based music store, this might present a conflict of interest. T-Mobile, perhaps? European buyers can clearly go and get the phone unlocked.

An Apple MVNO? Maybe, but risky. Virgin Mobile is doing pretty well, but Disney's expected to lose $135 million on its ESPN and Disney MVNOs this year. (http://m.news.com/Virtual+wireless+carriers+face+tough+times/2163-1039_3-6106423.html)

If -- IF -- there is ever an iPhone announced, I'll be the first on the block to buy one. And promptly take it apart to see how much of the hardware Apple actually designed.

fluidinclusion
Sep 5, 2006, 05:38 PM

Goddamn.

Shut up!

Then why did you even click on the link to read the messages???

MacSamurai
Sep 5, 2006, 05:48 PM
Put me down in the, "I'll believe it when I see it" crowd. Getting decent battery life out of anything with a 0.3W radio transmitter in it is difficult -- unless you don't use it to actually talk to anyone, or put in a large battery. "Ye cannae change the laws o' physics!" :D

Then there's the whole broadcast standards issue:
Too slow for music downloads (IMHO):
GSM - best worldwide coverage and market share, but the channel for voice data (hence any other kind of data) is <14.4kbps.
EDGE - improves on GSM by bonding multiple GSM channels together, but that still only gets it to ~180kbps under ideal conditions. Marginal at best.
CDMA (IS-95) - has excellent coverage in North America, Latin America, and South Korea, but again is limited to <14.4kbps.
CDMA-1X (IS-2000) - similar coverage to CDMA, but at up to ~153kbps (ideal conditions). Same problems as CDMA and EDGE.

Fast enough for music downloads (again, IMHO):
CDMA EV-DO (and REV A) - Downlink peaks at >2.5Mbps. Same coverage problem as CDMA.
UMTS/3G/3GSM/WCDMA - Downlink peaks at >1.92Mbps. Broad deployment in Europe, growing deployment in U.S. The air interface (the radio) actually is CDMA, it's just not using the IS-95/2000 standard to avoid a lot of Qualcomm's IP.
HSDPA - UMTS upgrade. Theoretical downlink speeds approaching 14.4Mbps. Still being deployed.

Therefore, I think UMTS would be the way for Apple to go for the broadest market opportunity at this time with a phone that does downloads of full-quality iTunes music files. In the U.S., since Cingular already has its own WMA-based music store, this might present a conflict of interest. T-Mobile, perhaps? European buyers can clearly go and get the phone unlocked.

An Apple MVNO? Maybe, but risky. Virgin Mobile is doing pretty well, but Disney's expected to lose $135 million on its ESPN and Disney MVNOs this year. (http://m.news.com/Virtual+wireless+carriers+face+tough+times/2163-1039_3-6106423.html)

If -- IF -- there is ever an iPhone announced, I'll be the first on the block to buy one. And promptly take it apart to see how much of the hardware Apple actually designed.
Lets not forget 802.11 which already exists in some phones...oh and if they put in a cam they definately will have to upgrade the iSight lol because the phone cam will equal it if not better it...here's hoping to a 2MP camera :D

rdowns
Sep 5, 2006, 06:21 PM
Wouldnt it be great if apple iphone had features of a phone, pda, and ipod and if it can be used as a modem for a laptop to access the internet?

And it could also core an apple. :rolleyes:

nxent
Sep 5, 2006, 06:33 PM
it's about time; my V360's nice, but it doesn't have the same features as my T610, and vice versa, especially when it comes to salling clicker. also i'm in the market for a new ipod. apple, release a device that handles my needs!

iCaffeine
Sep 5, 2006, 06:46 PM
all i know, i want one when it comes out.

:D

kskill
Sep 5, 2006, 07:02 PM
I expect some sort of wifi feature that lets you make calls using the internet rather than your cell provider, but what service provider would let that happen?

Perhaps an iphone with less focus on cellular and more on wifi? ...Closer to a sidekick type of thing? I feel as if that's where phones are headed.

Or something you could hook up to a laptop, like a network card. If Apple releases a phone they should do it right.

aricher
Sep 5, 2006, 07:04 PM
Figures this would come a month after I buy a new phone with a 2 yr. contract. Ugh.

brepublican
Sep 5, 2006, 07:04 PM
all i know, i want one when it comes out.

Yeah about that. While I reserve the right to change my mind, I just dont see myself getting one when they come out. But then again, stranger things have been known to happen, and the thing could just be oozing sex... Lets just say its gonna take a lot to make me fork out an extra $179 (in addition to the $300 the phone might cost) to terminate my current contract :(

iMikeT
Sep 5, 2006, 07:09 PM
This is perfect timing. My cell phone contract just expired and I'm looking to get a new phone. I hope this comes out sooner than later.

BornAgainMac
Sep 5, 2006, 07:13 PM
I find it funny when Steve demoed the first iTunes phone. The expression that he used while trying to work it showed that he was thinking of having Apple bully their way into the phone business.

I can see it destroying the "Chocolate" and "Razr" phones as it will be compared to them during the presentation.

skunk
Sep 5, 2006, 07:21 PM
This is perfect timing. My cell phone contract just expired and I'm looking to get a new phone. I hope this comes out sooner than later.Perfect for me, too. I've just about had it with my Nokis 6880. What a piece of useless junk. What are the chances that if it came out, it would come out over here at the same time? Slim, at best, I fear.

HecubusPro
Sep 5, 2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah about that. While I reserve the right to change my mind, I just dont see myself getting one when they come out. But then again, stranger things have been known to happen, and the thing could just be oozing sex... Lets just say its gonna take a lot to make me fork out an extra $179 (in addition to the $300 the phone might cost) to terminate my current contract :(

Unless the iPhone allows for multiple service providers, which would be very cool. Then I would just sell my phone, get the iPhone and transfer my account.

This is all assuming such a device will actually exist, and whether it's any good of course.

caccamolle
Sep 5, 2006, 07:40 PM
about *********G TIME

and of course this will just be another rumor and years go by and I don't have a decent cell phone!

brooklyn
Sep 5, 2006, 07:40 PM
Im predicting that Apple's upcoming phone will be a PDA/Phone called the "iNewt"!

Yes... The "Newton" will rise again damit!

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/JAG/03-PS17-2~Apple-Newton-Posters.jpg

caccamolle
Sep 5, 2006, 07:42 PM
Figures this would come a month after I buy a new phone with a 2 yr. contract. Ugh.

lol ! guys, stay away from those rip-off contracts ! STAY FREE !!!
sure your phone will cost you a bit more, but hey, the price of freedom ! Screw the service providers.

aristobrat
Sep 5, 2006, 07:53 PM
I expect some sort of wifi feature that lets you make calls using the internet rather than your cell provider, but what service provider would let that happen?
That technology is called UMA and T-Mobile's testing it now.

twoodcc
Sep 5, 2006, 08:11 PM
well i hope this happens soon.....

EagerDragon
Sep 5, 2006, 08:14 PM
Bring it on!!!!

EagerDragon
Sep 5, 2006, 08:21 PM
Should be all set to sync with the Mac with no issues like the iPod does. Unlike other phones and PDAs no need for sync software and special cables. Likely uses bluetooth to sync and all configured out of the box.

Me too, I need full PDA capabilities, see you later Treo 650.

coachingguy
Sep 5, 2006, 08:24 PM
I'm as excited as most of you here about the possibility of an Apple phone. My contract is up and I'm VERY tired of the carrying of a cell phone (Moto V555 - not a bad phone) AND a Palm Tungsten E2. I've been looking at the smart phones, particularly the Blackberry 1730g and the Treo 650. For those of you who use smartphones, what do you use? I don't care so much about the email - push or not - I just want to sync my mac calendar and contact w/ my phone and have it all in one place. I'd be all over this "apple phone" if it looked as good as the slivr and had quick os that allowed me to sync easily.

To wrap up, those of you who have smart phones, whattya use AND what do you think to probability that Apple will release a phone w/ smart phone capabilities?

Thanks

Coachingguy

Analog Kid
Sep 5, 2006, 08:52 PM
Man, I wish I could get paid for writing stuff like this... The exciting details are that it will look like an iPod and come in iPod colors? Talk about going out on a limb with one arm around the trunk...

"We believe this smart phone has been in development for over 12 months and has overcome substantial challenges including design, interference, battery life and other technical glitches."?!? Is this insight? Apple's been working on it for a year and faced challenges such as design? A cell phone had interference and battery life issues?

"We believe the go-to-market strategy is likely the gating factor in Apple shipping its cell phone imminently"?!? Deciding how to ship is what's keeping them from shipping...

I swear this guy made a recent career change from writing horoscopes. :rolleyes:

milatchi
Sep 5, 2006, 09:00 PM
Well, my research indicates that this guy and his research firm are douches.

mi5moav
Sep 5, 2006, 09:00 PM
The Apple/Tmobile partnership is interesting. I thought that Apple and Cingular had a deal but I guess not my T-mobile phone that I use in Europe had itunes on it and I know quite a few people that use itunes on T-mobile serviced phones. I have itunes running on my V360 and have about 800 songs on my transflash card(just for your info, if it's not already on your phone)

evilgEEk
Sep 5, 2006, 09:08 PM
I'm getting my hopes up waaaaay too high for this thing. I want it to be real so bad I can taste it, but there's no way it's coming this year so I really need to just bite the bullet and get a new phone and stop waiting.

/me secretly crosses fingers for Sept. 12th

fitinferno
Sep 5, 2006, 09:25 PM
But insight on when somethingís going to happen isnít the singular, or even the primary, purpose of these discussions. Theyíre an opportunity to talk about what MAY BE released and what sort of functionality/design it will have, how it will work, what the target market (beside us) will be, etc.

Exactly...they're basically a big group of people getting together and drooling and hoping at least some bit comes true.

And oh my goodness is an iPhone super drool-worthy! I'm getting concerned about how soon I'll be able to get one seeing as everyone and his dog wants one.

And I'm still waiting on that g5 powerbook...it's my Godot. :rolleyes: (Or at least an MBP w/a 12" or smaller screen)

fitinferno
Sep 5, 2006, 09:30 PM
To wrap up, those of you who have smart phones, whattya use AND what do you think to probability that Apple will release a phone w/ smart phone capabilities?

Thanks

Coachingguy

If Apple were at some point going to add a smartphone capabilities into its iPhones, then I doubt it'd be in the first version. If they do this, they're jumping into the mobile phone making market for the first time, so it'd be way too big a leap to jump in with a phone that's the swiss army knife of the digital age. The goal is going to be take away mainstream phone sales from companies that are launching phone & music playing devices. Smartphone users, while high in number, are still not mainstream.

Maybe someday they'll have a range of phones and smartphone will be an option? Are you a Newton fan by any chance? :P

And my current "smartphone" is a Palm T|C and a Moto SLVR.

Maac
Sep 5, 2006, 09:51 PM
That is the most amazing news for me!

pyramid6
Sep 5, 2006, 09:51 PM
It's a phone, they all are the same. I have not been impressed with the hardware of a cell phone ever. But we know it wil be the iPod OS, it will be white, it will work with iTunes, and it will sync your contacts, etc. Oh, and I bet the corners will be rounded.

Unless it has more than: GSM, GPRS, EDGE, UTMS and is a world phone, has two cameras, a keyboard, an expansion slot, can play movies, and music, and can work with spreadsheets, word documents, has WIFI B/G and have bluetooth, they have not done anyhting that a couple of other companies have done. Take a Motorola POS and slap an Apple log on it, and put this rumor to sleep.

The only things Apple has over anyone else any more, is their OS. Their hardware is like everyone elses hardware.

P6

PS Lets not forget email and web access.

cyberone
Sep 5, 2006, 09:59 PM
and if a smartphone it MUST include a full keypad, MUST, please ... a highend clone of a treo, love it.

gsm, umts, cdma & everything?

no more hotsync issues ...

can't wait.

ezekielrage_99
Sep 5, 2006, 10:06 PM

I know it's like this but I really do believe there is no iPhone, still it is fun to spur on the stupid and ignorant, that's what I come here for ;)

I think it's more of the fact people want it so badly that they are willing believe anything to support their beliefs.

Even bigfoot, the loch ness monster and UFOs left photos, the iPhone has shown off absolutely nothing for nearly 12 months worth of rumors, therefore no iPhone.

I can see it now..... iPhoney, Tricked Different

ezekielrage_99
Sep 5, 2006, 10:10 PM
Yes... The "Newton" will rise again damit!

If Apple were to release a new Newton I would buy in a second, the Newton was fanastic even though it was made a little before it's time.

I wouldn't be surprised if we seen a Newton-ish thing from Apple in the next few months.

Silentwave
Sep 5, 2006, 10:11 PM
Even bigfoot, the loch ness monster and UFOs left photos, the iPhone has shown off absolutely nothing for nearly 12 months worth of rumors, therefore no iPhone.

I can see it now..... iPhoney, Tricked Different

There have been more persistent rumors than that that came true, big time.

Jay42
Sep 5, 2006, 10:29 PM
What are the chances that the new "media device" that seems so certain on sept. 12 will be the iPhone? It would be nice to at least see this by MWSF in Jan. (also happens to be around the time my 2yr contract is up ;) )

AidenShaw
Sep 5, 2006, 11:12 PM
I have a couple of Windows Mobile phones (Samsung i600 and i730). The i600 is nice and compact, but the simple UI makes it a "read-only" phone. The i730 with the full PPC touch screen interface is simply amazing. I wish that the i730 were smaller, but I end up carrying the extra bulk because it can do many things that my laptop can!

Have my email (Outlook), calendar (Outlook), address book (Outlook), maps (MS Streets), web (Internet Explorer) - with me, all the time. As well as several other Windows apps that have be adapted for the Windows phone APIs.

The i730 has EV-DO, so having 700 Kbps internet wherever I am (well, didn't work so well in Guam and Tahiti) is a killer app.

If Apple comes out with "Mobile OSX", then they'll have an interesting offering (even though they'll have a blatant ripoff of Microsoft's mobile innovations).

If they have a mutant "wanna-be" set of apps, then it's a "not very smart phone™".
_____

Unless Apple makes it white plastic - that is so out of style now....

Mammoth
Sep 5, 2006, 11:49 PM
and if a smartphone it MUST include a full keypad, MUST, please ... a highend clone of a treo, love it.
can't wait.

I love the Treo, and if Apple improved it.... waaaagh. :D

My wishlist:

4GB flash memory
iTunes
iChat Mobile
Full Address Book and iCal support
Mobile iWeb
.Mac support (iDisk etc. from anywhere)
Mail
Nice camera 2-3MP, some optical zoom
QWERTY thumboard
More cool stuff only Apple can think of.

Evangelion
Sep 6, 2006, 02:43 AM

I have a Nokia 9300 (http://europe.nokia.com/A4142030). Things I would like to see in a Apple-phone:

- WLAN and BT
- Large screen for email and web
- Backlit Keyboard (not just the numeric-keypad, but the actual keyboard)
- Camera for videoconferencing
- Support videoconferencing with iChat-users
- Made from metal. Aluminium or stainless steel

chasemac
Sep 6, 2006, 02:50 AM
I'm gonna hold off for revision b.:)

macman2790
Sep 6, 2006, 03:02 AM
i'm really looking forward to the iphone. Does anyone have an idea of what carriers will offer it?

andrew050703
Sep 6, 2006, 03:20 AM
If Apple were at some point going to add a smartphone capabilities into its iPhones, then I doubt it'd be in the first version. If they do this, they're jumping into the mobile phone making market for the first time, so it'd be way too big a leap to jump in with a phone that's the swiss army knife of the digital age. The goal is going to be take away mainstream phone sales from companies that are launching phone & music playing devices. Smartphone users, while high in number, are still not mainstream.

Maybe someday they'll have a range of phones and smartphone will be an option? Are you a Newton fan by any chance? :P

And my current "smartphone" is a Palm T|C and a Moto SLVR.

From the 'Steve Jobs boasting' rumors earlier, it would seem to suggest that the iPhone is way better than anything out there, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some form of pocket apps in a business version (a la PocketPC pda phones), with just itunes & other stuff in a standard consumer version.

Any thoughts on ipod accessory compatibility - like will the nike+ module just fit into the bottom of the iphone like it does on the nano?

chasemac
Sep 6, 2006, 03:33 AM
i'm really looking forward to the iphone. Does anyone have an idea of what carriers will offer it?

ah...no one else but Apple would be my guess in a pipe dream.:)

kresh
Sep 6, 2006, 05:23 AM
Since we're just hoping and wishing....

It would be really cool if Apple could just skip the cell phone and go straight to satellite phone service.

I know that the major carriers can't do it because the bandwidth is not there for Verizon's 40 million, Cingular's 42 million, or Sprint's 38 million customers, plus the phones are still bulky with huge antennas.

But if the minturization lept forward just a little bit, I would love to have an Apple satellite smartphone with bluetooth connectivity, screw CDMA, TDMA, GSM and all the other 3 and 4 letter words.

What's the max internet speed off of satelite? 700 kbps?

Just dreaming :)

edit: nevermind, I forgot you prolly couldn't use it indoors anyway :(

AndyGriff1987
Sep 6, 2006, 05:51 AM
I just hope that there'll be some kind of iPod hard drive integrated... I was toying with the idea of going for the new nokia with 4GB harddrive coz I'm fed up with carrying my mobile phone and iPod round... who knows- I'll probably get this phone when it comes out anyway.:)

fitinferno
Sep 6, 2006, 08:39 AM
From the 'Steve Jobs boasting' rumors earlier, it would seem to suggest that the iPhone is way better than anything out there, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some form of pocket apps in a business version (a la PocketPC pda phones), with just itunes & other stuff in a standard consumer version.

Any thoughts on ipod accessory compatibility - like will the nike+ module just fit into the bottom of the iphone like it does on the nano?

That is true. If it were just a phone and he was trying to squeak into the market, he might not be boasting so much.

And wow that would be SO crazy awesome if the Nike thing did work with the phone. Good thought. I hope they do have some comptability...and imagine the form factor it would take, I would assume it might with at least earphones and chargers.

Solitaire
Sep 6, 2006, 10:48 AM
I've been reading through this thread and noticed how nearly everyone is focused on Apple entering the "cell phone" market. I can't believe how the majority of you actually feel that Apple will make a cell phone? And you're all going to ditch your RAZR when it comes out...

Apple is not going to, and will never, enter the cell phone market. They are designing a WiFi phone to compete with the new VoIP phones that are emerging: http://tools.netgear.com/skype/, http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/wireless/0,39020348,39187936,00.htm. Does the name "iChat Mobile" making anymore sense now?

You can quote me on that!

Yeroc
Sep 6, 2006, 04:11 PM
Here's my prediction for what it's worth:

I think Apple still sees the Mac as the digital hub so the iPhone (if it actually exists) will most likely get its songs by syncing with iTunes on your computer similar to how it works with iPods today except that it will happen wirelessly using Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR) [notice how many of Apple's current consumer-targeted computers sell with Bluetooth built in?] because it's simply too expensive with the current wireless regimes to do it any other way.

Specs:

- GSM Quad-band
- Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
- Java (games/productivity)
- Camera
- Unlocked (use it with any GSM provider)

Instead of being locked down and crippled the way Bluetooth is on many phones (as dictated by the wireless providers) you'll be able to sync your photos and songs (and easily turn them into ringtones) with your computer without paying costly data transfer charges.

I'm not going to speculate on what the interface will look like but it'll be way better than anything offered today.

Corey

pyramid6
Sep 6, 2006, 05:26 PM
You can quote me on that!

I thought of this as well, the problem I see, it would work great if you wanted to call someone, but what if they wanted to call you. I guess voice mail, but ew.

P6

fitinferno
Sep 6, 2006, 09:07 PM
I thought of this as well, the problem I see, it would work great if you wanted to call someone, but what if they wanted to call you. I guess voice mail, but ew.

P6

I assume it would have an addition of a Skype/Gizmo Project style "in" number. So that way they do have the ability to call you when your mobile is on. Otherwise, yeah, it wouldn't be as nice an item...

Raidersmojo
Sep 7, 2006, 12:26 PM
"We view this as a positive for Apple as this indicates that the US market has some degree of market acceptance of converged cell phone-MP3 player and that a product of mediocre quality like the LG Chocolate phone can still do very well," he wrote.

ouch...thats harsh! this phone must be something else...I'll be the first one to have one

this thing sounds sweet! I want to see a picture!

Arcus
Sep 7, 2006, 03:53 PM
I just received info from a friend who works for apple in a 'new product marketing' capactiy. He started work this month.

Cell phone coming on the 12th.

Chris Bangle
Sep 7, 2006, 04:09 PM
I just received info from a friend who works for apple in a 'new product marketing' capactiy. He started work this month.

Any more info..... can we believe you......:confused:

I just hope your right.:)

conradzoo
Sep 7, 2006, 04:25 PM
Well, I wasn't in for a phone (though I need one), just the 2G nano (my shuffle =dead), but if , if a nanophone would emerge the 12th, woot.

dsnort
Sep 7, 2006, 04:35 PM

If he's giving out info like that, he won't be working for Apple long! ( Steve's agonna get ya!!!)

peeInMyPantz
Sep 7, 2006, 10:46 PM
I want a wifi-enabled ipod phone... too much to ask for?
that's going to be the trend.. anything else is not revolutionary..

yg17
Sep 7, 2006, 10:59 PM

Dude, I have it even better. My 3rd cousin's friend's aunt's dog's sister's owner's dad's brother's kid's friend's dad works for Apple and gave me an iPhone to play with. I have it right now, it's awesome :eek:

:rolleyes:

brooklyn
Sep 9, 2006, 05:00 PM
Don't know if you guy's have seen this video for an Apple Phone that has been floating around. http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:MbAExD1d6M8J:video.google.com/videoplay%3Fdocid%3D-3168733759916419298+Apple+Phone&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7&client=safari

It seems like the guy who made it is trying to make a name for himself. No truth to the film... I think?

GreatOne08
Sep 9, 2006, 05:31 PM
Hope it's under $200 price point

oootle
Sep 10, 2006, 04:28 AM
Don't know if you guy's have seen this video for an Apple Phone that has been floating around. http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:MbAExD1d6M8J:video.google.com/videoplay%3Fdocid%3D-3168733759916419298+Apple+Phone&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7&client=safari

It seems like the guy who made it is trying to make a name for himself. No truth to the film... I think?

This has been around for ages.

riconebel
Sep 10, 2006, 10:44 PM
http://www.synaptics.com/onyx/

This is a prototype do-it all gadget, including a cell phone, music player, etc. by Synaptics, the company that provides the clic-wheel technology for the Apple iPod.

It includes sensing technology (touchless ipod?) and it seems to resemble some aspects of the apple patent drawings shown over the internet.

bowens
Sep 11, 2006, 08:53 AM
Dude, I have it even better. My 3rd cousin's friend's aunt's dog's sister's owner's dad's brother's kid's friend's dad works for Apple and gave me an iPhone to play with. I have it right now, it's awesome :eek:

:rolleyes:

Dude, are you serious?

MacBoobsPro
Sep 11, 2006, 08:58 AM
Dude, are you serious?

I sure would like to see some blurry photos.

babyj
Sep 11, 2006, 10:41 AM
I used to want an all in one phone, but not anymore - I want to keep the phone and iPod totally seperate from each other. My current phone (Sony P910) can play music but I've never used it for that and never will.

Sometimes I just want to listen to music without being disturbed. If I'm using my phone for music that will never happen. I know I could turn the phone part off (flight mode) but it will keep bugging that I could be missing a call, so I'd end up turning the phone back on again.

I do want a decent phone with all the bits and pieces, especially wifi and a decent camera, but the choice is very limited at the moment. If it plays music that will be fine provided I don't have to pay extra for it or for the extra storage. I'm sure an Apple phone would do everything I want, so please....bring it on.

I think a lot of people feel the same way, so I'm not convinced an iPod phone would sell that well. Most people have a mobile phone and the majority can play music (albeit with reduced storage), yet iPods continue to sell well. Why?