PDA

View Full Version : Can a Powerbook serve as a second display?

amin
Sep 6, 2006, 05:04 AM
I want to extend the desktop of a Mac Pro. Can I use the Powerbook as a second display? I searched and the answer seems to be no, but if anyone knows a way, I'd love to hear it!

robbieduncan
Sep 6, 2006, 05:08 AM
The answer is basically No. A PowerBook does not have any video inputs. There is some software that kind of allows this over a network connection but it's name escapes me at the moment...

Trippy Jr
Sep 6, 2006, 05:31 AM
I won't say it's impossible, but there is no way to easily do it, or a convenient way.

There might be a software solution, but I'd guess there might be some lag or limitation on this, and the same for something going over the network.

Better to buy another display similar to the one you already have - it's a lot easier to view a split desktop without the height distance etc.

amin
Sep 6, 2006, 06:07 AM
Thanks guys. If anyone knows the name of the network solution, I'd like to give it a try if it supports monitor spanning. Otherwise, I'll just drive the display with the Powerbook.

weg
Sep 6, 2006, 06:36 AM
I want to extend the desktop of a Mac Pro. Can I use the Powerbook as a second display? I searched and the answer seems to be no, but if anyone knows a way, I'd love to hear it!

Yes, if your other machine supports the X11 protocol ;-)

amin
Sep 6, 2006, 06:57 AM
What is the X11 protocol?

Edit - Okay I looked it up, and it doesn't look like it would help me with spanning anyway, would it?

weg
Sep 8, 2006, 03:32 PM
What is the X11 protocol?

Edit - Okay I looked it up, and it doesn't look like it would help me with spanning anyway, would it?

Sorry, I was more or less joking. The X11 protocol allows you to view the window of an application that you're running on another computer on your screen. However, this does only work when the application is written for X11 (as most Unix applications are). This doesn't allow you to enlarge your workspace, AND both computer must be switched on.

Manzana
Sep 8, 2006, 03:40 PM
ok, what if you use your mac pro through your powerbook with Apple remote desktop or vnc? this way you could use your pb and display, your external monitor with spanning, and your macpro all at the same time?

this way anywhere you go within your wireless network you would have access to your mac pro, and when you're at your desk you could use your extra monitor.

i'd love to have this setup!