PDA

View Full Version : My 1 Week Old Mac Pro G5 Xeon won't turn back on!

Neonguy
Sep 10, 2006, 06:11 PM
I just order from Apple Store and been using my Mac Pro for only 1 weeks. It hasn't been abuse or anything. I alway turn it off everytime I go to sleep or to work. Today when I come home, I press the Power Button and nothing happend! I freak out and got mad at the same time. I try unplug everything and the powercord, and let it sit for 60 Second to reset itself and plug back the Powercord. It now turn on and everything seam fine. But my concern is that I pay more then 2 grand on this Machine and it freak out on me in 1 weeks. Should I call Apple Store about this or even replace with a new one? It just strange that it does this and I'm not very happy about it. I'm scared I may get a defect one and in the long run it die quicker? Please give me your advice.
:(

Thanks!

skunk
Sep 10, 2006, 06:15 PM
It's a pity you didn't check that the plugs were fully engaged before pulling them out. You'll just have to wait and see if it happens again.

Neonguy
Sep 10, 2006, 06:23 PM
It's a pity you didn't check that the plugs were fully engaged before pulling them out. You'll just have to wait and see if it happens again.

Yeah I try that already. I try pressing hard on the powercord to the Mac Pro. I even try a different wall outlet and it still wont' turn on. Seam like the only way to turn it back on is to reset it. Just strange that Apple make high qaulity hardware and this happend on a brand new Computer.

phantasm10
Sep 10, 2006, 06:23 PM
What the hell? One glitch and you have to ask us what to do? Why not see if it happens 10 times and figure out for yourself to take it to the Apple store? Strange that it would happen on a new computer? Things break and fail all the time. Just because its new doesn't make it immune. Everyone knows a product is more likely to fail out of the box than 6 months down the line.

OnceUGoMac
Sep 10, 2006, 06:34 PM
How did you manage to get a G5 Xeon?

Neonguy
Sep 10, 2006, 06:34 PM
I'm not rich so if I pay more then 2 grand for a Computer, I expect the very best from it. Especially Apple. You be upset too if you brought your brand new Machine and it choke within a weeks. I have my SonyVaio. Abuse it, turn it 24X7 for Bittorrent and it work flawlessly. So yeah, I feel cheated out of my Money.

But thanks for the suggestion I will keep it see if it does again, then I take actions.

Sedulous
Sep 10, 2006, 06:35 PM
Try resetting the PRAM. A macbook here has this problem after being serviced for this problem 2x already. PRAM reset seems to at least temporarily bring it back.

Neonguy
Sep 10, 2006, 06:36 PM

Order it from Apple Online Store. Mine was deliver faster because I didn't get the ATI X1900 Graphic Card. Now the price drop to $250 if order built in :mad:

zap2
Sep 10, 2006, 06:36 PM

I know..I hate when I get the newest Mac Pro G4 Petium 4, or Mac Pro G6 Core 3 Quad, you know those types of Macs, and they don't work right..ARGG

When you sped over 2k on a system, you should know whats its called IMO

Neonguy
Sep 10, 2006, 06:37 PM
Try resetting the PRAM. A macbook here has this problem after being serviced for this problem 2x already. PRAM reset seems to at least temporarily bring it back.

Thanks for this suggestion. I will try resetting the PRAM if it does it again. I'm glad I didn't get a Macbook though, everytime I go to Apple Retail store I see many people with their Macbook brought in for services.

OnceUGoMac
Sep 10, 2006, 06:43 PM
Order it from Apple Online Store. Mine was deliver faster because I didn't get the ATI X1900 Graphic Card. Now the price drop to $250 if order built in :mad:

Really? Show me where on Apple's site I can buy a G5 Xeon.

balamw
Sep 10, 2006, 06:45 PM
Shhhhh. They're being released on Tuesday. One dual core is Xeon, the other G5. Rosetta eat your heart out. :p

B

OnceUGoMac
Sep 10, 2006, 06:47 PM
Shhhhh. They're being released on Tuesday. One dual core is Xeon, the other G5. Rosetta eat your heart out. :p

B

:D

Killyp
Sep 10, 2006, 06:50 PM
I know..I hate when I get the newest Mac Pro G4 Petium 4, or Mac Pro G6 Core 3 Quad, you know those types of Macs, and they don't work right..ARGG

When you sped over 2k on a system, you should know whats its called IMO

At least they work better than my MacPro G6 clockwork Hyper Threading Speed Step...

Neonguy
Sep 10, 2006, 06:50 PM

I don't know where you live. But in the US, they are out for awhile now. I don't see it at Apple Retail Store. Glad I didn't go buy there, so I bought mine on line. And glad I did. It one amazing machine. Can't wait to get Leopard 64Bits on it. It will scream.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

OnceUGoMac
Sep 10, 2006, 06:59 PM
I don't know where you live. But in the US, they are out for awhile now. I don't see it at Apple Retail Store. Glad I didn't go buy there, so I bought mine on line. And glad I did. It one amazing machine. Can't wait to get Leopard 64Bits on it. It will scream.

Curious, the link you provided me with only shows a Mac Pro Xeon. I know about those. But, where is the Mac Pro G5 Xeon that you have? I'd like to have one. I'm in the U.S., by the way.

wisredz
Sep 10, 2006, 07:01 PM
Dude G5 is a PPC processor and Xeon is an intel processor. There's nothing whatsoever called G5 Xeon. Mac Pro uses 2 dual core Xeons... PowerMac Quad used to have 2 dual core G5 processors.

I don'T want to be rude but how come you don't know what your computer uses? esp. as you have stated before after spending over 2k for it.

Silentwave
Sep 10, 2006, 07:02 PM

You're really missing the point here, friend. There is no G5 Xeon! The G5 was the name of a now 'obsolete' IBM Power-PC processor, which was in the PowerMac G5 and XServe G5.

Xeon is the name of a line of server and workstation grade microchips by Intel, using a COMPLETELY different architecture and so on. It is an x86 processor. The version in the Mac Pro and new intel XServe xeon is codenamed "Woodcrest", AKA the Xeon 5100 series, using the Intel Core microarchitecture with a 1333MT/s FSB, 4MiB L2 cache, and clock speeds up to 3.0GHz.

Neonguy
Sep 10, 2006, 07:04 PM
Curious, the link you provided me with only shows a Mac Pro Xeon. I know about those. But, where is the Mac Pro G5 Xeon that you have? I'd like to have one. I'm in the U.S., by the way.

Oh crap, that is the one I get. Is there another Mac G5 Xeon? The one with dual core Xeon and the other is G5 rosetta? I didn't even know about it. Now I regret getting this one if it's true if there the other G5 Xeon being release.

Are Built To Order Machine returnable? :eek:

Neonguy
Sep 10, 2006, 07:08 PM
Dude G5 is a PPC processor and Xeon is an intel processor. There's nothing whatsoever called G5 Xeon. Mac Pro uses 2 dual core Xeons... PowerMac Quad used to have 2 dual core G5 processors.

I don'T want to be rude but how come you don't know what your computer uses? esp. as you have stated before after spending over 2k for it.

No, I know what it's call. It's a Mac Pro G5. I just want to be more specific what my computer are so I included and said it a G5 Xeon because it use a Xeon (Woodcrest Chip) If I said I have a MacPro, people will be mistaken I have a Quad G5 instead. I been using mac for 8 years so I know my spec. I didn't want to get the Quad instead getting the Mac Pro G5 with Xeon processor to run Windows at the same time. And I did a lot of research on it before buying it, so I know what I'm getting.

balamw
Sep 10, 2006, 07:10 PM
No, I know what it's call. It's a Mac Pro G5.
There's a Power Mac G5 and a Mac Pro (w/Xeon processors) which one do you have again?

B

Neonguy
Sep 10, 2006, 07:13 PM
There's a Power Mac G5 and a Mac Pro (w/Xeon processors) which one do you have again?

B

I have a Mac Pro w/Xeon Processor

OnceUGoMac
Sep 10, 2006, 07:13 PM
No, I know what it's call. It's a Mac Pro G5. I just want to be more specific what my computer are so I included and said it a G5 Xeon because it use a Xeon (Woodcrest Chip) If I said I have a MacPro, people will be mistaken I have a Quad G5 instead. I been using mac for 8 years so I know my spec. I didn't want to get the Quad instead getting the Mac Pro G5 with Xeon processor to run Windows at the same time. And I did a lot of research on it before buying it, so I know what I'm getting.

Heh. 8 years, huh? Heh. :p

I have a Mac Pro w/Xeon Processor

Do you get what we're saying now?

Sun Baked
Sep 10, 2006, 07:17 PM
No, I know what it's call. It's a Mac Pro G5. I just want to be more specific what my computer are so I included and said it a G5 Xeon because it use a Xeon (Woodcrest Chip) If I said I have a MacPro, people will be mistaken I have a Quad G5 instead. I been using mac for 8 years so I know my spec. I didn't want to get the Quad instead getting the Mac Pro G5 with Xeon processor to run Windows at the same time. And I did a lot of research on it before buying it, so I know what I'm getting.The Quad PowerMac G5 has 2 IBM dual core PowerPC 970 CPUs -- these PowerPC970's from IBM are the only G5s. aka IBM PowerPC970 = G5 (what Apple calls it)

The Mac Pro Quads are two dual core Intel Woodcrest CPUs.

There is no G5 Xeon, Xeon is Intel & G5 is IBM. Two different public companies.

What you did was the same as calling Coke Classic -- Pepsi's Coke Classic.

Neonguy
Sep 10, 2006, 07:18 PM
Heh. 8 years, huh? Heh. :p

Do you get what we're saying now?

Well not really 8 years. I been using PC too in that time frame. :p

Yeah, there is no such thing as a Mac G5 Xeon? Just Mac Pro with Xeon Processor. But I know there another Mac Pro G5 that doesn't use Intel chipset. It use 2x G5 instead. So yeah, that's why I call it the Mac G5 Xeon.

suneohair
Sep 10, 2006, 07:22 PM

Yeah, there is no such thing as a Mac G5 Xeon? Just Mac Pro with Xeon Processor.

Well according to you there is. Take pictures of your Mac G5 Xeon box, then we will believe you.

Or maybe take screen shot of it on Apples website.

balamw
Sep 10, 2006, 07:25 PM
But I know there another Mac Pro G5 that doesn't use Intel chipset. It use 2x G5 instead. So yeah, that's why I call it the Mac G5 Xeon.
Gaaah! Just when it looked like it was settled you go and edit the post.

There never was Mac Pro G5. It was called a Power Mac until they switched to Xeons.

B

Sun Baked
Sep 10, 2006, 07:27 PM
Happens to all Macs ...

Power cord, USB device or PRAM/PMU

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300552

OnceUGoMac
Sep 10, 2006, 07:34 PM

Yeah, there is no such thing as a Mac G5 Xeon? Just Mac Pro with Xeon Processor. But I know there another Mac Pro G5 that doesn't use Intel chipset. It use 2x G5 instead. So yeah, that's why I call it the Mac G5 Xeon.

:eek:

You still don't get it? Really?:confused:

Neonguy
Sep 10, 2006, 07:36 PM
Well according to you there is. Take pictures of your Mac G5 Xeon box, then we will believe you.

Or maybe take screen shot of it on Apples website.

I would, but my Camera is at my shop. I try and take the picture tomorrow. But on the big black box it said...

Mac Pro Quad Xeon 64-Bit Workstation.

So I'm not mistaken, apple call it Xeon too. Not PowerMac.

Neonguy
Sep 10, 2006, 07:37 PM
:eek:

You still don't get it? Really?:confused:

If it said on the Box Quad Xeon then it's a Quad Xeon. It use Intel Dual-Core Xeon Processor. I'm going to grab the Digital Camera and take picture of the box right now.

balamw
Sep 10, 2006, 07:41 PM
So I'm not mistaken, apple call it Xeon too. Not PowerMac.
That's 'cause it ain't a G5. Did it say G5 anywhere on the box?

B

Dark Dragoon
Sep 10, 2006, 07:44 PM
Make sure to find the text on the box that says G5. Thats what everyones interested in. :rolleyes:

Nowhere on the machine/box should G5 be mentioned.

Neonguy
Sep 10, 2006, 07:44 PM
That's 'cause it ain't a G5. Did it say G5 anywhere on the box?

B

Oh I get what you're trying to say now. The one I got is call Mac Pro Quad Xeon. Doesn't use G5 Chipset. The other one is Power Mac G5 Quad, which use G5 Dual Core Processor.

OnceUGoMac
Sep 10, 2006, 07:47 PM
Oh I get what you're trying to say now. The one I got is call Mac Pro Quad Xeon. Doesn't use G5 Chipset. The other one is Power Mac G5 Quad, which use G5 Dual Core Processor.

Hooray!:D

relimw
Sep 10, 2006, 07:49 PM
He either doesn't comprehend, or he's jerking all of ya'lls chains. :D
4 posts on topic to 36 other is a horrible S:N.

Chrispy
Sep 10, 2006, 08:45 PM
Dude... there was never a MacPro G5... it was POWERMAC when it was the G5 and is now the MacPro since it does not use a power pc processor anymore. PowerMac for G5s and MacPro for Intel. There was never a G5 MacPro.

*Nevermind, I just saw a few post up you figured it out. Has the problem occured again? My desktop I just built went nuts on me when I powered it back on after I had the main breaker turned off in the apartment to install a new thermostat but since then it has been fine. I will be keeping an eye on mine as well. Sometimes I think computers just poop their pants for no reason and then are fine.

minimalistic
Sep 10, 2006, 09:18 PM
OMGG!! Hallelujah brothers! lol

Sun Baked
Sep 10, 2006, 09:43 PM
He either doesn't comprehend, or he's jerking all of ya'lls chains. :DWell, he obviously ain't jerking fast enough.

And some lubricant would be nice, but the cold hands are a problem.

Silentwave
Sep 10, 2006, 09:46 PM
Well, he obviously ain't jerking fast enough.

And some lubricant would be nice, but the cold hands are a problem.

Lubricant is so...bland...

You obviously need to try some of iGary's official iLube™

bradc
Sep 10, 2006, 09:54 PM
Hahaha that was awesome. Pure jokes in a nerdy way! Hahahaha this is classic.

samiwas
Sep 10, 2006, 10:36 PM
Hahaha that was awesome. Pure jokes in a nerdy way! Hahahaha this is classic.

So wait...the Mac Pro G5 Xeon 64-bit Rosetta Leopard only runs in Classic mode???

thebeephaha
Sep 10, 2006, 10:36 PM
Jebus........ Communication barrier issues?

dpaanlka
Sep 10, 2006, 10:52 PM
I'm really sad I missed out on this thread :(

I would have said something like "I have a Quad Core Power Quadra 7200 Pro Plus IIgs with Dual 604 Core 3 Xeons"

Jiddick ExRex
Sep 11, 2006, 12:16 AM
Don't forget the flux capacitor!

balamw
Sep 11, 2006, 12:31 AM
Don't forget the flux capacitor!
But don't try driving @88 mph with it in your trunk, you might regret it.

B

luminosity
Sep 11, 2006, 12:38 AM
G5 macbook pros coming on tuesday!

balamw
Sep 11, 2006, 12:44 AM
G5 macbook pros coming on tuesday!
Didn't you get the memo? They're called Powerbook G5 Xeons :D

B

dogbone
Sep 11, 2006, 12:45 AM
What you did was the same as calling Coke Classic -- Pepsi's Coke Classic.

Where can you get that? I be looked at the Coca Cola site but I not find Pepsi Coke Classic listed. :mad:

Is this not being made in US?

balamw
Sep 11, 2006, 12:52 AM
Where can you get that? I be looked at the Coca Cola site but I not find Pepsi Coke Classic listed. :mad:
I thought that "New Coke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke)" was "Pepsi Coke Classic"? :p

B

Nuc
Sep 11, 2006, 12:57 AM
Oh my lord. I've never laughed so hard over a thread in my life. You think he would have gotten the idea about the processor after someone explained it 4 or 5 times. Loved your comments balamw.

I'm still laughing after 3 mins... :D :D :D

Nuc

Edit: Ok make that about 10 minutes :D

Neonguy
Sep 11, 2006, 02:33 AM
I think I can call my Mac whatever I want. I want to call mine the Super Mac Pro Dual - Core Quad Xeon G5!

kingkezz
Sep 11, 2006, 03:30 AM
I think I can call my Mac whatever I want. I want to call mine the Super Mac Pro Dual - Core Quad Xeon G5!

It's not funny when you take the piss out of yourself...

Neonguy
Sep 11, 2006, 03:47 AM
It's not funny when you take the piss out of yourself...

What you mean? I'm well aware what I got. Just some miscommunication. If people just say there is no Mac Pro G5 Xeon, one is Mac Pro with Xeon processor and the other is The Powermac G5 it will make more sense. I just mistype and added a G5 in there. People start freaking out think I have a future computer.

dextertangocci
Sep 11, 2006, 03:49 AM
So wait...the Mac Pro G5 Xeon 64-bit Rosetta Leopard only runs in Classic mode???

My pentium 4 quad G3 powermacbook running leopard under rosseta will beat your Mac Pro G5 Xeon in a photostore speed test:D

Neonguy
Sep 11, 2006, 03:51 AM
My pentium 4 quad G3 powermacbook running leopard under rosseta will beat your Mac Pro G5 Xeon in a photostore speed test:D

No. Because mine is a Quad G5 Xeon mean one processor is the G5 and the other is the Xeon processor so it still beat your Powermacbook whatever.

Graeme43
Sep 11, 2006, 03:54 AM
:eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

skunk
Sep 11, 2006, 04:13 AM
No. Because mine is a Quad G5 Xeon mean one processor is the G5 and the other is the Xeon processor so it still beat your Powermacbook whatever.Doesn't this belong in the Fantasy Processor League thread?

dextertangocci
Sep 11, 2006, 07:07 AM
No. Because mine is a Quad G5 Xeon mean one processor is the G5 and the other is the Xeon processor so it still beat your Powermacbook whatever.

You're joking right?:rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

edesignuk
Sep 11, 2006, 07:17 AM
My god it's painful :rolleyes: