PDA

View Full Version : Want to Record - Am I missing Something?

ready2go
Sep 12, 2006, 05:53 PM
Ok, so here's what I've got:
1) Electric Guitar + Amp
2) Garageband
3) Guitar Recording Interface (M-audio Fast Track)

Basically, all I want to do is record the sound from the guitar on to garageband through the interface. But the problem is that I can't figure out how to do it or what I'm missing.

Any help is appreciated.

scottlinux
Sep 12, 2006, 09:38 PM
Current drivers install for the device, from www.m-audio.com ?
And check that Audio Midi Setup (Applications>Utilities) has your device selected for input.

ready2go
Sep 12, 2006, 11:39 PM
How do I get the guitar to sound amplified on garageband?

chasemac
Sep 13, 2006, 12:04 AM
How do I get the guitar to sound amplified on garageband?

So you are getting sound? Have you created a new real instrument track?:)

BurtonCCC
Sep 13, 2006, 01:51 AM
Tell us about your setup. Like how everything you've got is integrated.

For example, here's two of my setups:

1. Acoustic Guitar > 1/4" to Ch. 1 on M-Audio MobilePre and condenser mic on 12th fret with XLR to Ch. 2 on M-Audio MobilePre to USB of PowerBook G4.

2. Electric Guitar > pedal board > '59 Fender Bassman LTD > Shure SM-57 mic with XLR to MobilePre to USB of PowerBook G4.

So yeah, tell us about your set-up. Just so you know, if you're trying to record with an amp, you're going to want to mic the amp. Doing a line out sounds terrible.

Daniel.

zimv20
Sep 13, 2006, 02:02 AM
i think he's saying it's coming into GB in that weak "i'm electric but nothing else" way, but he wants to do some post-processing to make it sound like it's a marshall stack.

r2g -- specificity is good.

ready2go
Jan 11, 2007, 07:02 PM
It's been a while, but thanks for the replies.
Tell us about your setup. Like how everything you've got is integrated.

For example, here's two of my setups:

1. Acoustic Guitar > 1/4" to Ch. 1 on M-Audio MobilePre and condenser mic on 12th fret with XLR to Ch. 2 on M-Audio MobilePre to USB of PowerBook G4.

2. Electric Guitar > pedal board > '59 Fender Bassman LTD > Shure SM-57 mic with XLR to MobilePre to USB of PowerBook G4.

So yeah, tell us about your set-up. Just so you know, if you're trying to record with an amp, you're going to want to mic the amp. Doing a line out sounds terrible.

Daniel.
I can use an instrument cable to connect the amp to the interface, but that of course wouldn't work for acoustic instruments. It's probably better if I can mic the amp anyway.
I do have a condenser mic available. I'm not sure how to set everything up with my fast track USB though.
Thanks for any help.

zimv20
Jan 11, 2007, 07:21 PM
elec guitar --> amp )))))))) mic -> fasttrack --(usb)--> mac

acoustic guitar )))))))) mic -> fasttrack --(usb)--> mac

where )))))) are sound waves.

ready2go
Jan 11, 2007, 07:25 PM
So I could directly plug the mic into the interface using the XLR mic input?

zimv20
Jan 11, 2007, 07:31 PM
So I could directly plug the mic into the interface using the XLR mic input?
with a mic cable, of course, but yeah. mics need preamps, and there's one sitting behind each of those XLR ins. iirc, the faststrack even has phantom power, which you'll need for your condenser.

if you've not already, please read the primer (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=179296).

ready2go
Jan 11, 2007, 07:42 PM
Could I bypass the mic cable?

zimv20
Jan 11, 2007, 07:53 PM
you're kidding, right?

ready2go
Jan 11, 2007, 07:57 PM
Well, there's XLR3M on one end and XLR3F on the other so I thought maybe.
Thanks for the help.

zimv20
Jan 11, 2007, 08:12 PM
they're not really meant to plug into each other like that, meaning the mic manufacturers don't really feel the need to ensure their housing doesn't get in the way, nor do mixer/interface/pre manufacturers feel the need to make sure there's any more space than a cable needs.

that said, it may be possible to connect them. i'd worry about the mic putting strain on the port, and for something that small it could all just topple over.

but -- the biggest thing is you're severely limiting your ability to place the microphone. and if mic placement isn't the most important aspect of capturing a sound, i'd say it's in the top 5.

oh, you'd also not be able to use a shockmount to isolate the mic from room vibrations -- another important consideration.

do yourself a favor and drop $20 on a mic cable.