Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
I want to get a video iPod, but I don't know which one to get. I want to spend $250 or less and I would consider a refurb unit. I want to load a bunch of music but still have room to put a DVD or some TV shows on it as well. I use a PC right now, but plan on moving over to an iMac at some point in the next year. It looks like a 30GB iPod might be large enough, but I have no real idea how much space a DVD might take up or say episodes of The Office. Also, is there enough of a difference between Gen 4 and Gen 5 that I should stick to a new unit rather than a refurb? I've been reading the Apple site and I am unclear what the differences are between Gen 4 and 5 other than 5 is thinner and you can now get an 80GB.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Well, the 4th gen is the photo iPod, you don't want that if you plan to use video. I think these new ones are still technically 5th gen iPods, all that was changed from the screen quality and the storage space.

An hr tv show from the iTMS in the new 640x480 resolution will probably be between 400-500megabits.

Movies from the movie store are over a gig in size.

Realistically, if you were to rip the movies and episodes yourself, you can set them to whatever resolution is best to you. I know a lot of people who are fine with having full length movies in a file size of around 500 megs for watching on an iPod.

There really isn't much of a difference between the old 5gens and the new ones from today. You can get a refurbished 30gig for $199 or a refurbed 60gig for $299 from the Apple store. These have the same warranty as a new iPod, that is the road I went with my iPod and it works great. More space is always going to be better if you plan on putting a lot of videos on your iPod.

winterdude010

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
New York
4th Gen is not for you based on your wants.

5th gen is what you want.

The new 80Gig model holds around 100 hours of video. So a DVD or two, and some The Office episode would fit snuggly on it.

I'm sure a 30gig would hold that too.

Cerebrum

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2006
Boston, MA
I have a 30 gig video iPod and personally, I think i might want to upgrade to an 80 gig sometime soon since I am going to be adding more content into it. Regarding the whole adding a DVD or an episode into the iPod, I added the whole 1st season of House into my iPod (after hours or encoding) and took around 5.3 gigs of space. Each individual episode being around 250-something (21 episodes...i think) and at very high quality. So i'm sure you can add an entire season of The Office and still have plenty of room. A DVD might fit in there for 500 MBs if encoded correctly.

I want to add the 2nd season of House and the 3 seasons of Arrested Development, but I know that if I do, my iPod's memory would be eaten up completely, so yeah, I say take the 80 gig if you plan on adding a lot of video content.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Thanks folks, I was obviously confussed as to what is a Gen 4 and a Gen 5, but you have set me straight. I thought the NEW iPods were the Gen 5's but I now see my mistake. Thank you all.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Since I am not really sure exactly how much video I am really going to want to carry (I am probably over estimating), I think 30GB sounds like it should work for me but here are the options I would like to get your personal opinions on. I can get:

New 30GB for $234
Refurb 30GB for $179
Refurb 60GB for $229
(all three are within my budget)

Which way would you go?

A couple lesser questions.

Do iPods require special headphone jacks? I have a $100 set of Sony earbuds I would like to continue using.
Which color (Black or White) iPod would you go with? I wonder if black would show more scratches or not.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
KevKaos said:
Since I am not really sure exactly how much video I am really going to want to carry (I am probably over estimating), I think 30GB sounds like it should work for me but here are the options I would like to get your personal opinions on. I can get:

New 30GB for $234
Refurb 30GB for $179
Refurb 60GB for $229

Which way would you go?

Do iPods require special headphone jacks? I have a $100 set of Sony earbuds I would like to continue using.
Which color (Black or White) iPod would you go with? I wonder if black would show more scratches or not.
They are pretty good prices...not from the apple site I assume??

No the iPods to not require special headphone jacks. Go ahead an use your nice sony earbuds. I would go with white personally (traditional apple color), and I hear black scratches kind of easily. Although I am considering picking up a black 8gb nano...but the casing is aluminum, therefore less prone to scratches.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
KevKaos said:

New 30GB for $234
Refurb 30GB for $179
Refurb 60GB for $229

Which way would you go?

Probably the new 30GB, smaller and lighter than the old 60GB but with all the little new features.

iPods use standard 3.5mm headphone jacks, unless you're using the fancy ones with the big headphone jacks you'll be fine.

Black shows more scratches and fingerprints but looks very cool, white shows less wear but doesn't look as cool - more a classier look to the white version.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Chundles said:
Probably the new 30GB, smaller and lighter than the old 60GB but with all the little new features.

iPods use standard 3.5mm headphone jacks, unless you're using the fancy ones with the big headphone jacks you'll be fine.

Black shows more scratches and fingerprints but looks very cool, white shows less wear but doesn't look as cool - more a classier look to the white version.

Good input. Thank you.

Cerebrum

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2006
Boston, MA
Black does look cooler, which is why I own a black one. But you're also right to say that fingerprints and scratches look more on them. My solution? A pack of these:

http://speckproducts.com/vid-seethru.html

I use the clear one. Barely adds any height, width, or depth to my 5G iPod Video. Since it's in my pocket all the time, if it gets scratched, I don't worry because the screen is covered fully and is not smudged like it would be with those stupid flimsy plastic covers.

Of course, the only drawback: can't dock--which to me is not an issue because I never docked it anyway.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
KevKaos said:

New 30GB for $234
Refurb 30GB for $179
Refurb 60GB for $229

Which way would you go?

Where did you see a 60gig Video for $229? I would get one at that price. Do you have a link?

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
Dude,

You need the 5G iPod, and 30Gb sounds like more than enough!
On my iPod, I've got series 1-4 of Scrubs, encoded at 320 X 240 and it only takes 7Gb, the rest is all music!

Cheers

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
OK, so most people seem to think that 30GB is enough for what I want to do.

$179 for the refurb or $234 for the new (Govt price).

Decisions, decisions. I can't help but wonder if the smaller size, weight and little extras are making the new one worth the extra cost for me. Size and weight do not bother me that much. Brighter screen is nice, but alot of people have gotten by just fine with the older units.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
KevKaos said:
OK, so most people seem to think that 30GB is enough for what I want to do.

$179 for the refurb or $234 for the new (Govt price).

Decisions, decisions. I can't help but wonder if the smaller size, weight and little extras are making the new one worth the extra cost for me. Size and weight do not bother me that much. Brighter screen is nice, but alot of people have gotten by just fine with the older units.

New one. Get search, brighter screen, better battery, probably more future support. The new nano has search and smart scrolling but the old ones haven't had it enabled despite sharing a product name - the minis shared all features despite the 2G mini being far superior.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
OK, I'm thinking it's going to be the new Black 30GB iPod and I am going to get some of those neat clear cases. What are your thoughts on the extended warranty? $59 to extend it for another year. Mine will be handled pretty lightly. No working out with it or running with it. No travelling to school or work. Mainly just at home use, and on vacation.

Cerebrum

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2006
Boston, MA
KevKaos said:
OK, I'm thinking it's going to be the new Black 30GB iPod and I am going to get some of those neat clear cases. What are your thoughts on the extended warranty? $59 to extend it for another year. Mine will be handled pretty lightly. No working out with it or running with it. No travelling to school or work. Mainly just at home use, and on vacation.

I say get it, but that's because I am paranoid and have most of my electronics with warranty above the normal manufacturer's. However, since you say it's only for light use, then you might not need it.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
MattyMac said:
They are pretty good prices...not from the apple site I assume??

I'm sorry, I missed your question in your posting. Yes, the prices I quoted are all from the US Apple site. The new iPod price is for Govt employees so it is slightly less than the normal price. The refurb prices I quoted I believe are good for anyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.