Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Cork, Ireland
I'm seriously considering buying a DSLR. I have a Pentax P50 (P5 in US) from about 1986 with a couple of lenses. Would these lenses fit a Pentax *ist DL? My old P50 is manual focus and the *ist is autofocus - does this matter? From looking at various sites it seems that both cameras have "K mount" but there seems to be lots of different types of K mount. HELP ME PLEASE!

Thanks.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
if your lenses are from the 80s like your camera, they'll work brilliantly, I do it all the time. :)

there are some obscure issues with third-party lenses but it's like 0.1% of lenses, so it'll probably never come up.

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Any K Mount lens will work with the digital bodies. You will have to manually focus with any lens that does not have an A marked on the aperture ring. I have my mom's old lens from the late 70's, and although it's manual focus only, it works like a dream!

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
I just got the Pentax K100. With an adapter it is capable of using any Pentax lens. I have a lot of 6x7 lens that I did not have a digital body for. I just ordered the adapter today.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
balofagus said:
Any K Mount lens will work with the digital bodies. You will have to manually focus with any lens that does not have an A marked on the aperture ring. I have my mom's old lens from the late 70's, and although it's manual focus only, it works like a dream!

You mean that manual focus lenses aren't automatically upgraded to auto focus? How rude. :D

I was wondering if any of you see darkening in the corners?

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I don't have any problems with vignetting on my lens, but that's just one. There is likely problems with some but I haven't heard its a staggering issue.

danson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Cork, Ireland
Thanks everyone for your help and advice. It's great to know I can use those old lenses - I'm really excited about getting a Pentax DSLR. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.