PDA

View Full Version : What's Your MIDI Keyboard / Synth?

pimentoLoaf
Sep 14, 2006, 06:51 PM
What are you using to create with?

zimv20
Sep 14, 2006, 07:02 PM
i still use my korg ms-10 a bit:

http://www.boxsetauthentic.com/images/gear/ms-10sm.jpg

but mostly it's Reason and a piano. once i get my juno-6 serviced, i'll start using that again:

http://www.boxsetauthentic.com/images/gear/juno6-050102sm.jpg

Foxglove9
Sep 14, 2006, 07:05 PM
I mostly use the Yamaha CS1x for MIDI controlling. Otherwise I have Sidstation, Korg MS2000, drum machine, plus lots of other synths and controllers.

pimentoLoaf
Sep 14, 2006, 07:57 PM
In my case, it's a just-introduced Yamaha PSR-450 (http://music.yamaha.com/products/main.html?productId=27) for use with Logic Express (http://www.apple.com/logicexpress).

therethere
Sep 14, 2006, 09:52 PM
MicroKorg, for both MIDI and regular synthin'....

scottlinux
Sep 14, 2006, 11:53 PM
I recently picked up an Edirol PCR-M30. Lots of knobs and such, and a good mod wheel. Only 2.5 octaves- I wish I had opted for more keys at this point. But small to travel with.

Foxglove9
Sep 15, 2006, 12:38 AM
I recently picked up an Edirol PCR-M30. Lots of knobs and such, and a good mod wheel. Only 2.5 octaves- I wish I had opted for more keys at this point. But small to travel with.

I like the Edirols a lot. Similar situation: I owned an Oxygen8, which was nice, but the 2 octaves proved to be more frustrating than I thought it would be. So I sold it.

Mord
Sep 15, 2006, 05:46 AM
I'm in the market though have no clue, my budget is about 100

Kernow
Sep 15, 2006, 05:49 AM
I use an Evolution Mk249-C to control both Reason & Logic. It's not the most hi-tech, but it does the job nicely.

bartelby
Sep 15, 2006, 05:50 AM
Yamaha DX-11 and Reason

FattyMembrane
Sep 17, 2006, 12:20 AM
i mostly use a banged-up juno-60 of which i'm pretty fond. i may end up purchasing one of the midi retrofit kits available for it (it uses a weird proprietary roland digital control mechanism that is supported by roughly zero other pieces of audio equipment)

quigleybc
Sep 19, 2006, 01:30 PM
Oxygen 8 M -Audio

and Ableton Live/Logic E/Reason.

MIDI_EVIL
Sep 20, 2006, 12:55 PM
Korg MicroKorg.

Rich.

1dterbeest
Sep 21, 2006, 12:56 AM
M-Audio Keystation 49e
with Reason 3.0 mostly

I automate most of what
I need in the software,
so i didn't need all kinds
of knobs and buttons.

49 keys was nicer than 25.

pmboos
Sep 24, 2006, 04:42 PM
It is a pretty cool set-up if you like older 80's stuff:

Korg Dw-6000 (although I am hunting for a DW-8000)
Akai AX80
Sequential Multitrak
Sequential Tom (always looking for Drumware/Interval Music cartridges)
Moog Liberation (non-midi)
Kawai K1m
Korg DVP-1
Kawai Q-80 sequencer (for the "road" which I don't do, but what the hey...)
ART Proverb upgraded to Proverb200
Lexicon Vortex
Simmons SPM 8:2
Akai MX8
2 Akai S612 samplers
Korg DSS-1 I intend to sell, but I'll mention it
and the brains behind this studio? Amiga 4000 running Bars & Pipes Pro
I also have a sample dump editor

With the exception of the DSS-1, I wouldn't trade any of it... I love these older synths.

Now, an advertisement for my thread - I need some help for a new home audio set-up I am considering, so please visit it and give me some advice...

Cheers!
Paul

trogdor!
Oct 3, 2006, 04:22 PM
CME UF6 61key. The USB drivers kinda suck, but using midi works just fine i hear, but i havent used the MIDI yet. Its a nice keyboard/midi controller overall.

scottlinux
Oct 8, 2006, 04:39 PM
Hey guys/gals speaking of midi controllers, I just contacted a guy to buy his Yamaha DX7. Any DX7 owners out there? I'm planning to use it as a controller, as well as synth. I'm having trouble finding OS X software as a librarian or patch loader for the DX7. Anyone know of anything? Thanks,

cschreppel
Oct 13, 2006, 12:22 PM
Been using an M-Audio Oxygen 8 for most of the work I do. It's mostly pad related stuff or parts that are generally confined to an octave or two.

Cowinacape
Oct 15, 2006, 04:00 PM

Close to what I am using Edirol PCR-M80, glad I opted for the extra keys, and fits well on the desktop, which is handy.

Right now only plugged into garageband, plan on moving to Logic come Christmas time (c'mon Santa! :D )

logicpro7
Oct 15, 2006, 04:30 PM
i use a novation remote 25 with logic pro7 :)

pimentoLoaf
Oct 15, 2006, 07:29 PM
I had ordered an Edirol PCR-M80; second thoughts crept in as it wasn't a sound-producing synth with speakers. I modified the order for an Edirol PC-80 which, alas, wasn't explained well on the Edirol site that this was a speaker-oriented version of the M80 for playing an included software synth. Had I not already bought Logic Express I probably wouldn't have minded, but...

I opted for the aforementioned Yamaha synth with MIDI capability. (BTW, it wasn't just introduced: it came out in late 2005 or early 2006.)

What I should have done was follow through on an earlier idea: a Yamaha S03 attached to my Creature speakers sitting underneath. (Would this combo require a pre-amp?) It has MIDI and the usual array of synth sounds (piano, organ, flute, & strings).

If I had the money, I'd upgrade to a Motif MO8.

MacBoy08
Oct 11, 2008, 05:14 PM
Korg MicroKorg.

Rich.

are you using reason 4????

MicroKorg, for both MIDI and regular synthin'....

i have a microkorg and reason 4.0 on my macbook connected with a midi to usb cable... everything works perfectly and when i unplug my usb cable reason says the device i added is disconected so i know it recognizes it. but i CANNOT for the life of me get it to control and play synth.

reason 4 will NOT let my use my microkorg as a midi controller ??? are their leopard drivers ?? :/:/

im so frustrated. please help guys.

im on 10.5.2

apsterling
Oct 11, 2008, 05:28 PM
Casio CTK-530 on Channel 2
M-Audio Keystudio 49 on Channel 1

The CTK-530 is great for standard piano or wide range pads/percussion seeing as it's got 5 octaves, whereas I use the Keystudio when replicating a synthesizer, because it has a Modwheel, Pitchbender and Volume Slider.

I also do a fair bit of automation through software, but as soon as I have funds I'm going to invest in a midi controller with a few faders and sliders on it.

ashjamben
Oct 11, 2008, 05:50 PM
i'm using a carillon 25 key usb midi controller:

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/35357/carillon.jpg

was pretty cheap, and feels cheap, but i use it just to input the notes into logic and for changing synth parameter values with real knobs.

someone was asking about one with a budget of 100. this cost me 50, but isn't a synth. not sure if you could get a synth for under 100 :confused:

3rdpath
Oct 11, 2008, 07:31 PM
i use a fatar sl-880 as a controller though i sometimes use my ms-2000 for synth lines.

and pmboos: what a great setup!

i miss my dw-8000 and ex-8000..cept the ex drifted outta tune far worse than my minimoog did. ( which is saying a lot).

i also have a dss-1...still love it's gritty 8 bit sound and the dual delays. have boxes of blank DS/DD floppies cause they're tough to find. still think it's pitch/mod stick is the best controller ever made.

MezicanGangxtah
Oct 11, 2008, 09:13 PM
haha i use an old cheap yamaha psr-275 for midi and synth use...although i was thinking about getting a 25 key version the axiom controller...mainly becuase of its pads....but...i would instead rather get a synth with built in pads...so far ive yet to see one...pure controllers......any suggestions? oh and ive seen the microKORG in action and def. like it from what ive heard and seen.....anyone reccomend it? and what are some of its features that you really enjoy?

butterfly0fdoom
Oct 11, 2008, 09:28 PM
I gots me a Yamaha NP-30 plugged into Logic.

Killyp
Oct 12, 2008, 08:19 AM
Alesis ION:
http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/technotes/issue2-ion/ion2.jpg

Plus a generic Evolution 61-key controller.

Both running into an M-Audio Midisport 2x2:
http://www.millennium-music.co.uk/images/products/250/MM0032.jpg

The Alesis acts as a controller, but also as a synth. It runs into a separate set of audio inputs on the computer...

I mainly use Logic and Reason, although I've started playing with Ableton Live a little more lately.

fmason3
Oct 13, 2008, 01:35 PM
i have a microkorg and reason 4.0 on my macbook connected with a midi to usb cable... everything works perfectly and when i unplug my usb cable reason says the device i added is disconected so i know it recognizes it. but i CANNOT for the life of me get it to control and play synth.

reason 4 will NOT let my use my microkorg as a midi controller ??? are their leopard drivers ?? :/:/

im so frustrated. please help guys.

im on 10.5.2

I have a Yamaha S90ES controlling Reason 4.0. I use a regular USB (printer) cable. I had to download the yamaha s90es driver. However, I also use an edirol UM-1 midi/usb adapter cable when I'm using Reason on live gigs with random digital pianos that don't have usb ports. I had to find (which I thought would never happen) the driver for the UM-1.

Will your computer let you use your microkorg to control garageband? Otherwise you may need to find some drivers online.

Artmuzz
Oct 23, 2008, 07:39 AM
I use my Yamaha DX7 as master midi keyboard plugged via MIDI through my Focusrite Saffire LE FireWire audio interface when making music on my Mac using Reason 4 and Logic Pro 8.

IMHO the DX7 still has one of the best keyboards for playing even today. Also it is a great sounding synth aswell when plugged into an effects processer. I find that I use the DX7 more than FM8.

Other synths that I proudly own are the Waldorf Blofeld, Roland D50, Yamaha AN1x, Roland JD800, Kawai K5000r, Kawai K4, Korg MicroX and MicroKorg aswell as the Casio VZ1 and CZ-101

Hardware rules!!:p

Artmuzz

mike1123
Oct 23, 2008, 10:13 AM
Axiom 61 + Logic. It rox.

hakukani
Oct 23, 2008, 07:00 PM
Kurzweil K2500XS I've had it for almost a decade.

nicdic
Oct 24, 2008, 07:23 AM
I've just got a Novation ReMOTE SL Compact 25

synth3tik
Oct 24, 2008, 07:53 AM
Ok here we go. (had to get the coffee going)

The Hardware (in no real order)
Moog The Source
DSI Prophet 08SE
Roland Jupiter 6
Elektron SidStaion
Studio Electronics SE-1X
Sequential Circuits Prophet 2002 plus
Oberheim Matrix 6R
Waldorf Microwave II
Roland JD-990
Korg Poly6 (poly 5, I have a voice I need to fix)
Sequential Circuits Pro One
Octave Cat
Crumar Bit One
Roland RS-202
Korg M1
Nord Modular G2 (possibly will move to the engine)

Out of studio
Korg EPS-1 (storage)
Yamaha SK-20 (storage)
E Mu Emulator II (storage)
Rhodes 76 (out on loan)

Still waiting for the release of the LinnDrum II.......

The software (controlled by my new Novation 49SL Compact)
**takes a second to go to Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components**
Automat 1.0
Cheeze Machine
Chip 32
Crystal
FINELINE
FM8
IMPOSCar
Jupiter 8V
Massive
Oddity
Predator (tried the demo for like 3 seconds before needing to buy this beast)
Stylus RMX
Symptohm PE (the PE edition is kind of weak, planning on upgrading to the full version soon)
Vanguard

(Top 5 softsynths are all freeware and are totally great bits)

Almost all signal processing and FX are done within Logic. I am particularly fond of the plug ins from Ohm Force and Audio Damage, and soon will be installing my Universal Audio UAD2

rocky21
Nov 22, 2008, 03:12 PM
What are you using to create with?

how u use your drum on your keyboard

rocky21
Nov 22, 2008, 03:14 PM
I've just got a Novation ReMOTE SL Compact 25

i need help wit my keyboard

Michael.Dribins
Nov 22, 2008, 04:01 PM
Logic 8 + Line6 KB37 + OmniSphere = unmeasurable creativity!

rocky21
Nov 22, 2008, 07:16 PM
Casio CTK-530 on Channel 2
M-Audio Keystudio 49 on Channel 1

The CTK-530 is great for standard piano or wide range pads/percussion seeing as it's got 5 octaves, whereas I use the Keystudio when replicating a synthesizer, because it has a Modwheel, Pitchbender and Volume Slider.

I also do a fair bit of automation through software, but as soon as I have funds I'm going to invest in a midi controller with a few faders and sliders on it.

need help

MowingDevil
Nov 22, 2008, 09:18 PM
Kurzweil K2000