What's Your MIDI Keyboard / Synth?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by pimentoLoaf, Sep 14, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

Dec 30, 2001
    The SimCity Deli
  2. macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    i still use my korg ms-10 a bit:

but mostly it's Reason and a piano. once i get my juno-6 serviced, i'll start using that again:

3. macrumors 65816

Jan 14, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I mostly use the Yamaha CS1x for MIDI controlling. Otherwise I have Sidstation, Korg MS2000, drum machine, plus lots of other synths and controllers.
  4. thread starter macrumors 68000

Dec 30, 2001
    The SimCity Deli
  5. macrumors newbie

Jun 19, 2005
    MicroKorg, for both MIDI and regular synthin'....
  6. macrumors 6502a

Sep 21, 2005
    I recently picked up an Edirol PCR-M30. Lots of knobs and such, and a good mod wheel. Only 2.5 octaves- I wish I had opted for more keys at this point. But small to travel with.
  7. macrumors 65816

Jan 14, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I like the Edirols a lot. Similar situation: I owned an Oxygen8, which was nice, but the 2 octaves proved to be more frustrating than I thought it would be. So I sold it.
  8. macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    Old York
    I'm in the market though have no clue, my budget is about £100
  9. macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2005
    I use an Evolution Mk249-C to control both Reason & Logic. It's not the most hi-tech, but it does the job nicely.
  10. macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
  11. macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2002
    bat country
    i mostly use a banged-up juno-60 of which i'm pretty fond. i may end up purchasing one of the midi retrofit kits available for it (it uses a weird proprietary roland digital control mechanism that is supported by roughly zero other pieces of audio equipment)
  12. macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Oxygen 8 M -Audio

and Ableton Live/Logic E/Reason.
  13. macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2006
  14. macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2006
    Waupun, WI
    M-Audio Keystation 49e
    with Reason 3.0 mostly

I automate most of what
    I need in the software,
    so i didn't need all kinds
    of knobs and buttons.

49 keys was nicer than 25.
  15. macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2006
    Once i get my studio set-up again...

It is a pretty cool set-up if you like older 80's stuff:

Korg Dw-6000 (although I am hunting for a DW-8000)
    Akai AX80
    Sequential Multitrak
    Sequential Tom (always looking for Drumware/Interval Music cartridges)
    Moog Liberation (non-midi)
    Kawai K1m
    Korg DVP-1
    Kawai Q-80 sequencer (for the "road" which I don't do, but what the hey...)
    ART Proverb upgraded to Proverb200
    Lexicon Vortex
    Simmons SPM 8:2
    Akai MX8
    2 Akai S612 samplers
    Korg DSS-1 I intend to sell, but I'll mention it
    and the brains behind this studio? Amiga 4000 running Bars & Pipes Pro
    I also have a sample dump editor

With the exception of the DSS-1, I wouldn't trade any of it... I love these older synths.

Now, an advertisement for my thread - I need some help for a new home audio set-up I am considering, so please visit it and give me some advice...

16. macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2006
    CME UF6 61key. The USB drivers kinda suck, but using midi works just fine i hear, but i havent used the MIDI yet. Its a nice keyboard/midi controller overall.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Sep 21, 2005
    Hey guys/gals speaking of midi controllers, I just contacted a guy to buy his Yamaha DX7. Any DX7 owners out there? I'm planning to use it as a controller, as well as synth. I'm having trouble finding OS X software as a librarian or patch loader for the DX7. Anyone know of anything? Thanks,
  18. macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Been using an M-Audio Oxygen 8 for most of the work I do. It's mostly pad related stuff or parts that are generally confined to an octave or two.
  19. macrumors regular

Jul 3, 2006
    Surrey B.C. Canada
    Close to what I am using Edirol PCR-M80, glad I opted for the extra keys, and fits well on the desktop, which is handy.

Right now only plugged into garageband, plan on moving to Logic come Christmas time (c'mon Santa! :D )
  20. macrumors 6502a

Sep 25, 2006
    London UK
  21. thread starter macrumors 68000

Dec 30, 2001
    The SimCity Deli
    I had ordered an Edirol PCR-M80; second thoughts crept in as it wasn't a sound-producing synth with speakers. I modified the order for an Edirol PC-80 which, alas, wasn't explained well on the Edirol site that this was a speaker-oriented version of the M80 for playing an included software synth. Had I not already bought Logic Express I probably wouldn't have minded, but...

I opted for the aforementioned Yamaha synth with MIDI capability. (BTW, it wasn't just introduced: it came out in late 2005 or early 2006.)

What I should have done was follow through on an earlier idea: a Yamaha S03 attached to my Creature speakers sitting underneath. (Would this combo require a pre-amp?) It has MIDI and the usual array of synth sounds (piano, organ, flute, & strings).

If I had the money, I'd upgrade to a Motif MO8.
  22. macrumors newbie

Mar 9, 2008
    Fort Smith
    Cant Get Midi!

are you using reason 4????

i have a microkorg and reason 4.0 on my macbook connected with a midi to usb cable... everything works perfectly and when i unplug my usb cable reason says the device i added is disconected so i know it recognizes it. but i CANNOT for the life of me get it to control and play synth.

reason 4 will NOT let my use my microkorg as a midi controller ??? are their leopard drivers ?? :/:/

im so frustrated. please help guys.

im on 10.5.2
  23. macrumors 6502a

Nov 24, 2007
    Casio CTK-530 on Channel 2
    M-Audio Keystudio 49 on Channel 1

The CTK-530 is great for standard piano or wide range pads/percussion seeing as it's got 5 octaves, whereas I use the Keystudio when replicating a synthesizer, because it has a Modwheel, Pitchbender and Volume Slider.

I also do a fair bit of automation through software, but as soon as I have funds I'm going to invest in a midi controller with a few faders and sliders on it.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Oct 28, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    i'm using a carillon 25 key usb midi controller:

was pretty cheap, and feels cheap, but i use it just to input the notes into logic and for changing synth parameter values with real knobs.

someone was asking about one with a budget of £100. this cost me £50, but isn't a synth. not sure if you could get a synth for under £100 :confused:
  25. macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i use a fatar sl-880 as a controller though i sometimes use my ms-2000 for synth lines.

and pmboos: what a great setup!

i miss my dw-8000 and ex-8000..cept the ex drifted outta tune far worse than my minimoog did. ( which is saying a lot).

i also have a dss-1...still love it's gritty 8 bit sound and the dual delays. have boxes of blank DS/DD floppies cause they're tough to find. still think it's pitch/mod stick is the best controller ever made.