Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mustafa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Shenfield, Essex, UK
I'd upgrade my wife's 4Gb mini to an 8Gb nano in a blink -- but she'd only want it in pink.

Why can't we have all three models in all the colours?

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
I can see how they have the lowest model only in white to encourage spending the extra money for a nicer model. But I'm not sure why the top model is only black. It doesn't make much sense to me.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
Only thing I can think of is that they wanted to keep the same number of SKU's as before - they had 6 variations of the old Nano (white and black for 3 sizes), so they kept 6 variations for the new Nano.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I wanted orange - proper bright orange like the old tangerine iMacs and iBooks, that sort of colour like "safety orange."

They just used the same old mini colours + black. Should've used tangerine, purple, sage (dark green) and the blue.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Chundles said:
I wanted orange - proper bright orange like the old tangerine iMacs and iBooks, that sort of colour like "safety orange."

They just used the same old mini colours + black. Should've used tangerine, purple, sage (dark green) and the blue.

Bondi Blue?

I want a mf'n Blue Dalmatian nano.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Chundles said:

Orange would be an interesting addition, i could see that selling quite well. In fact that would probably be my second choice next to a blue one if i had to choose a color.

As for the disatisfaction, I personally wasn't a huge fan of the minis when they were out. Oddly enough, I now like the nanos in those colors, or at least in blue, green, and pink. The black and silver i'm not that fond of. Though the selection is limited based on price, i really quite understand why it's done, and since i would never be actually buying one for myself, i don't mind the limits and understand Apple's concerns for economics.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I was planning to buy an 8GB nano as soon as they came out... but then it had to only came in black. Lame. I know there's a lot of other people like us... people who aren't going to buy more expensive products because of this stupid error on Apple's part.

I'm going to go ahead and send feedback like the guy mentioned above.

Daniel.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
yea, I hate how they can't offer the high end model in all the colors. I understand making you upgrade to get a color (though I don't necessarily like that either), but not letting someone get all the options at the high end? what if I want an 8gb green nano? would apple rather I pay them less money to get green?

stupid...

trenzterra

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2006
Perhaps Apple's idea was to make the 8GB version 'stand-out' from the others, so other people will go 'hey, that's an 8GB right?'

But more colour options would be good though.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
Here's the feedback I sent to Apple. Here is Apple's feedback form for the nano. If you want to see a change, just drop Apple a note. You don't have to write a novel like I did, just ask why the 8GB only comes in black. Anyways, here's the novel I sent them:

Me said:
It is my opinion, and I know that it is the opinion of many other devoted Apple customers and admirers, that it was an extremely poor business decision to only release the 8GB iPod nano in the black color. Personally, I waited quite a long time for an 8GB nano and I planned on buying one as soon as they came out, but when I found out that they were only available in black, I decided not to purchase any nano at all. I can see why offering the top-level MacBook only in black was a cool thing for Apple to do, but if somebody wanted a white MacBook, they could upgrade it to the same specifications as the black MacBook and still have the color that they wanted. With the new 8GB nano, consumers don't have that option. For example, a customer can't upgrade a blue 4GB nano to an 8GB hard drive unless they want to void their warranty. If a customer needs 8GB, it's black or nothing. To force consumers to not be able to express themselves with pink, green, blue, or silver in an 8GB capacity goes against the entire "Think Different" and free expression philosophy that defines Apple. In my case, you may have only missed out on $249 of my money, but if other consumers feel the same way and take the same actions as myself, the decision to only offer the 8GB nano in black is going to be less profitable for Apple and is going to result in unhappy Apple fans. Isn't the goal of any business to make a profit and satisfy customers?

Daniel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.