PDA

View Full Version : PB or iB?

jlambert
Apr 2, 2003, 01:37 AM
I'm looking to get my first apple computer and I'm having trouble deciding between the 12in iBook or PB. I don't want anything bulky and I'll be using it for college while I study math, physics, and c++ programming.

I already know I want the max amount of ram availiable for both those systems and I want the combo drive. I will also need an airport card for internet around campus. but other than that I can't tell if I REALLY need the PB.

I don't have a lot of money to spend and since I'm 17 my girlfriend (who is 18) decided to do the appleloan thing and help me get it. I'll be paying about $400/mnth so I can pay it off A LOT earlier and get back all the finance charges (interest I assume) like it says on the apple site.

I dont want to spend anything over 1.7g really as I want to be able to save for other things and I really like the white clear look to the iBook.

Any suggestions?

btw, this is what I currently have picked out...

$1,583.95
640MB SDRAM (128MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM)
30GB Ultra ATA drive
DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo
AirPort Card
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
.Mac Promotional Bundle
ATI Mobility RADEON 7500 w/ 32MB VRAM
Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 included
12.1-inch TFT XGA display

irmongoose
Apr 2, 2003, 02:48 AM
I would say the iBook. If you just want to take it to school and do everyday stuff on it and you don't have to do video editing or a lot of Photoshop work, you probably wouldn't need the G4. Plus, the iBook is more rugged so you can just pop it into your school bag and not worry about it getting broken or anything. It truly is an ideal machine for a student (I want one sooo bad).

Oh, and about the AppleLoan, make sure you keep up with the $400/month because it really is not such a good deal unless you pay it off REALLY fast.

irmongoose

cubist
Apr 2, 2003, 06:24 AM
You might be able to whittle down the cost by getting that extra RAM somewhere else. Otherwise that sounds like a great computer. Agreed with irmongoose on the ruggedness issue, the iBooks are the best in that regard.

DakotaGuy
Apr 2, 2003, 06:55 AM
For what you are doing and for a limited budget I would recommend an iBook. They are a great value and are a very well designed computer.

irmongoose
Apr 2, 2003, 06:59 AM
Oh, and don't get RAM from Apple.. they are waay too expensive and you can get much better deals if you buy it from other places.

irmongoose

ian559
Apr 2, 2003, 07:09 AM
The ibook gets better bat life too. My aipowerbook 12 inch gets 2.5 hours max!!!!

ear2ear
Apr 2, 2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by ian559
The ibook gets better bat life too. My aipowerbook 12 inch gets 2.5 hours max!!!!

With airport or without?

ian559
Apr 2, 2003, 07:36 AM
with airport. 3 without. But he wants to use the campus network so he will be using the card all the time too. I am going to have to get a extra bat for mine....

jlambert
Apr 2, 2003, 12:43 PM
Thank everyone...I'll be getting this...

$1,393.95
128MB SDRAM built-in
30GB Ultra ATA drive
DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo
AirPort Card
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
.Mac Promotional Bundle
ATI Mobility RADEON 7500 w/ 32MB VRAM
Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 included
12.1-inch TFT XGA display

jlambert
Apr 2, 2003, 12:54 PM
I forgot to ask....how easy is it to put the ram in? does the keyboard just pop off?

Nuc
Apr 2, 2003, 12:56 PM
I am not sure as to what your school schedule is like. However since you only have about a month or so left of it I would hold out buying a iBook until later this summer. That is unless you are going to summer school... There will probably be some updates, and the price of the computer you have listed now will drop in price so hold out unless you really need it.

Edit: The ram was easy to replace in my powerbook, Apple sends a book on how to replace the RAM (or at least they used to). Or you can go on their website and find out how to do this..

jlambert
Apr 2, 2003, 12:59 PM
I'll be starting school this summer, working full-time during the day and taking classes at night.

Abstract
Apr 2, 2003, 12:59 PM
No, but there are a few things you should know before doing it yourself. You can void the warranty or something of you screw around with the wrong things in there. I'll let someone else elaborate, or you can just go to the discussion board at Apple.com (look under 'Support'), where they get questions like that all the time. They're pros at answering questions like that from switchers. :)

Foxer
Apr 2, 2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by ian559

I consistently get 3 to 3.5 on mine (with airport extreme). Are you listening to iTunes alot or something? That's what the iPod sitting next to the PowerBook is for!:D

ian559
Apr 2, 2003, 02:20 PM
Foxer,
Nope just surfing. And sadly I have no ipod yet
My kids use it to watch dvds when we travel too.
Thats why I need the other battery. As I type this I am lounging under a tree in my front yard while the kids are playing..... God you gotta luv the airport!!!!!

whocares
Apr 2, 2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Abstract
You can void the warranty or something of you screw around with the wrong things in there. I'll let someone else elaborate,

*Pop out keyboard
*Unplug and remove Airport card (if any)
*Unscrew two screws (really obvious ones) and remove metal tray
*insert ram chip
*put it back together

Unless you decided to prod around inside with the screw driver or you high on narcotics, it should be a piece of cake. 'bout 2 minutes infact. The trickiest part is inserting the chip in the slot...
The only thing to be carefull about is not to damage the keyboard connector.

macphoria
Apr 2, 2003, 03:09 PM
If you are looking to buy RAM someplace else, check out www.memoryx.net.

jlambert
Apr 3, 2003, 01:08 AM
Bah, I think I may have to bash my head against the wall and hold onto my patience, unless I get a 12in PB. I've talked myself almost out of it with all these rumors flying around.

jlambert
Apr 3, 2003, 01:58 AM
prediction...if I bought the 12in power book instead how long would it last me...versus what may come out in june, july. which would have better wireless range? support? current iBook or current 12in PB?

CrackedButter
Apr 3, 2003, 06:41 AM
Apples last a long time so they are worth the investment. I was gunning for a PB but i have just bought a iB just for doing college work like Java and Flash animation and it runs brilliantly.

Of course i listen to music as well and in only 2 weeks of having it i only have 13Gb left on it, most of the space is taken up by the futurama episodes i have downloaded.

Battery life for me is 5.5hours regularly.

Memory is a bitch to add as the screws are tiny as hell to take off but once done, never done again!

Its so light and tiny as well, the screen is perfect incidentally. I would suggest you get it now, it'll last you for quite some time.

macphoria
Apr 3, 2003, 08:59 AM
New iBook, if it turns out to be complete overhaul and not just processor upgrade, might be worth the wait. With Panther just around the corner, it is possible that latest hardware will have better compatibility with new softwares than older hardware.

Fall
Apr 3, 2003, 08:55 PM
So, RAM CAN be added to an iBook post-purchase...does it void warrenty though?

benixau
Apr 3, 2003, 11:03 PM
no. Apple is good when it comes to customizing their machines. the only thing you are not allowed to do it anything that utilates the hardware i.e. soldering to o/c it.

other than that. you can theoretically replace the optical, HDD, RAM (in slots), processor if it is not soldered on it some way, AP/AP-X. thats about it for a notebook. anything else will ilkely viod our warrany.

the only thing is - if the problem is related to the part you changed (i.e. not done by an apple service center) the you will have to pay.

BUT - the HDD is unlikely to cause your LCD to fail.
RAM can be replaced cheaper than going to apple.

good luck (ps - im rooting for the pb)

alexlai50
Apr 5, 2003, 01:01 AM
TRUST ME BIG TIME IBOOKS ARE SO SLOW
YOU GOTTA GET A PB
SO MUCH BETTER MAN
LIKE I MEAN IF YOU WANT MP3 ON UR MAC IT WILL TAKE YOU BOUT AN HOUR TO UPLOAD IT TO YOUR MAC FROM A CD

Rower_CPU
Apr 5, 2003, 01:08 AM
alexlai50-

Please stop writing in all caps. It's the equivalent of yelling on line.

Thanks. :)

ibookin'
Apr 5, 2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by alexlai50
TRUST ME BIG TIME IBOOKS ARE SO SLOW
YOU GOTTA GET A PB
SO MUCH BETTER MAN
LIKE I MEAN IF YOU WANT MP3 ON UR MAC IT WILL TAKE YOU BOUT AN HOUR TO UPLOAD IT TO YOUR MAC FROM A CD

Yeah... :rolleyes:

My 500MHz iBook is fine for most things, and it certainly took less than an hour to rip a CD (which would be about 1X ripping speed, btw) The 800 with Quartz Extreme, faster bus, faster optical drive, etc. should be much faster. Since he's getting 640MBs of RAM for it he shoud be fine for speed on the iBook.

The iBook is a great deal, but if it were me I'd buy the 12" PB, simply because it has a G4, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, and a Superdrive. But then again I'm still living with my parents and don't have many expenses.

Megaquad
Apr 5, 2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by jlambert
prediction...if I bought the 12in power book instead how long would it last me...versus what may come out in june, july. which would have better wireless range? support? current iBook or current 12in PB?
Why not wait until new iBooks are out?
They will probably be running at 1 GHz and maybe better graphics.. which is nice.

RBMaraman
Apr 5, 2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Fall
So, RAM CAN be added to an iBook post-purchase...does it void warrenty though?

No, it does not void the warranty. RAM is listed as a "user installable part", which means the user can do it. Another example of a "user installable part" is an AirPort Card. For more information on "user installable parts", search Apple's Knowledge Database.

QCassidy352
Apr 6, 2003, 11:44 PM
I've got an ibook 600 and it runs pretty well. No way it takes an hour to rip a CD; try more like 15 minutes even with my model (2 generations old now!). I've got max RAM and the ibook handles OS X pretty well unless I have a whole lot of things open. Photoshop elements is a little slower than I'd like, but iphoto does very well. The only thing I'd like to do with this computer that I really can't is play Warcraft III. It runs, but pretty badly (don't know if you game, but thought I'd mention it).

Keep in mind this is all with an ibook with 75% of the clockspeed and 25% of the video memory as the one you'd be getting. :(

The AE on the PB is much nicer than original airport. The graphics card is a lot better too, but still only 32 mb. G3 vs. G4 isn't really that big a deal for ordinary tasks...

I would definitely not buy an ibook right now. Updates will come soon and you'll be kicking yourself. AE will probably be included, for one thing.

Oh, and to the person who said he gets 5-5.5 hours on his ibook- can I have your battery??? ;) I get less than 3 hours doing every day, low demand tasks, under 2 for watching a dvd. Apple tells me this is "normal."

superscientific
Apr 7, 2003, 01:58 AM
I used a 800 mhz ibook and they are not that slow....Yes G4's are better if you can afford them but hey if you are not doing processor intensive work then why spend the extra $ on a PB?
Try macsolutions though
they are selling a 14.1" ibook 800hmz for 1499

www.macsolutions.com
they were selling a 14.1" 700 mhz for 1299 but now it is gone =(