Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamtearne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Ok so I have just travelled to my nearest apple store which is about a 35minute train journey. I rang beforehand to check stock, I asks if the new 30gb's are available 'yes', in both colours? 'yes'. Ok so I get there and just simply ask for the 30gb black ipod, pays for it walks out and just got home now. Opened it and to my dissapointment I have been sold an old one (has old headphones, and software is only 1.1)

Right I am not too fussed about the quick search as I can easily find my music anyway and often leave it on just shuffle mode. The brighter screen would have been a nice addition I guess but not a major loss as I never moaned about the original screen. Movie battery life is poor on original 5g and would have liked the improved battery life. I particularly wanted the new headphones to see if they were an improvement over the old ones.

Basically I can live with the old one but would like the new headphones. I rang the store and they said they only have the new white ones (after originally telling me they had both black and white). Should I return it? I dont want to have to be without an iPod as I use it almost allday everyday and its not the easiest of stores for me to get too. Would it be possible for applecare to exchange it on the basis when I get the new one in mail i send my old one back, or even just some free headphones?

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I say return it. I mean if someone said "which model would you like? Model A with poor batterly life or Model B with better headphones, a brighter screen, a search capablility, and better battery life? Both cost the exact same!"

Which would you choose? They ripped you off.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Agreed - return it. That's disappointing that you were misled on your iPod, especially since you specifically asked about the new ones.

Wankers.

grahamtearne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
do they have to be returned in a certain amount of days, just tuesday is my only day off, i am at college 4 days of the week then i work at the weekend. its not like its just down the road either.

would applecare be able to sort anything out about this?

graham

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i believe it's 30 days (someone correct if wrong) from date of purchase. applecare wouldn't really be able to help you out and you shouldn't need to get applecare involved - just go back and show them your receipt and the iPod and tell them you want the new one.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
pianoman said:
i believe it's 30 days (someone correct if wrong) from date of purchase. applecare wouldn't really be able to help you out and you shouldn't need to get applecare involved - just go back and show them your receipt and the iPod and tell them you want the new one.

I actually believe it is either 10 or 14 for Apple

grahamtearne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
ok i understand its not really applecares issue but i only get 1 day off and i dont drive or anything, im only 17 and so its awkerward for me to travel the distance it is to the apple store and with college assignments and limited time off i am very busy. i work hard for my money and apple just ripped me off, it should be their job to replace it, not mine to have to start chasing them down, maybe customer relations? it was them who arranged a replacement mbp for me.

graham

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
grahamtearne said:
ok i understand its not really applecares issue but i only get 1 day off and i dont drive or anything, im only 17 and so its awkerward for me to travel the distance it is to the apple store and with college assignments and limited time off i am very busy. i work hard for my money and apple just ripped me off, it should be their job to replace it, not mine to have to start chasing them down, maybe customer relations? it was them who arranged a replacement mbp for me.

graham

I think you should call the individual Apple store and tell them the situation, agree that it should be replaced, but then explain that you may not be able to go to the store so soon. It's better than turning up ten days later, because they'll think "it took him ten days to realise?" and probably decline. They sold it to you under false pretences, explain the phone call, and how you were told that both colours were available.

Even more so, ask someone here if they can post a pic of the new iPod box. If it's very similar, you can say that whoever got the iPod didn't take enough care to get the right one.

Also, it seems kinda fishy. Surely, if someone came in asking for the iPod, you, as the sales assistant, would assume they meant the new one? If someone asked for the nano, I'd assume they meant the new one...

Good luck.

grahamtearne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
mckvakk said:
An easy way to recognize the new ipods in store is a pirate in the screen on the box :)

i actually thought it was strange it didnt have it on the box but i thought it could be to do with the fact we dont have the movie store in the uk and that the pirates box was usa only due to the fact they have a movie store?

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
grahamtearne said:

graham

Call them and tell them about your situation. It's your responsibility to bring the issue to their attention. They would probably be willing to hold a new one for you until you can get back to exchange it. They might even be willing to mail you a new one. It probably depends upon your attitude when you talk to them. Mistakes happen and how they are resolved is partly dependent on you.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Wtf?

Dude, quit whining.

No one lied to you, a simple mistake was made. You asked for the black 30, they only had the new white 30s in stock and someone at the store made an error.

You didn't get ripped off, overcharged or swindled. Just pack the damn thing back in its box, wait until you have a chance (you have up to 14 to return it) and take the 35 minute train ride (35 minutes? You're complaining about a trek that short?) back to the apple store and exchange it.

Learn to live with a little disappointment. Nothing's perfect.

PS...next time, specify EXACTLY what you want from a store and maybe, I dunno, OPEN THE BOX THERE? Might have saved you some trouble...

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
appleretailguy said:
Dude, quit whining.

No one lied to you, a simple mistake was made. You asked for the black 30, they only had the new white 30s in stock and someone at the store made an error.

You didn't get ripped off, overcharged or swindled. Just pack the damn thing back in its box, wait until you have a chance (you have up to 14 to return it) and take the 35 minute train ride (35 minutes? You're complaining about a trek that short?) back to the apple store and exchange it.

Learn to live with a little disappointment. Nothing's perfect.

PS...next time, specify EXACTLY what you want from a store and maybe, I dunno, OPEN THE BOX THERE? Might have saved you some trouble...
Dude chill out, the OP wasn't even whining that much, certainly not enough to merit your remarks. They just spent a good deal of money on a new product that is presumed to be the newest tech. It is the Apple employee's responsibility to alert the customer that they are not purchasing the newer revision of 30GB, and if he/she was not told of this, then they are entitled for a refund if they desire.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
rockthecasbah said:
Dude chill out, the OP wasn't even whining that much, certainly not enough to merit your remarks. They just spent a good deal of money on a new product that is presumed to be the newest tech. It is the Apple employee's responsibility to alert the customer that they are not purchasing the newer revision of 30GB, and if he/she was not told of this, then they are entitled for a refund if they desire.

I agree the post your quoting and referring to was a slight overreaction. The OP was just stuck and asking advice what to do didnt have to jump down his throat

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
viccles said:
I agree the post your quoting and referring to was a slight overreaction. The OP was just stuck and asking advice what to do didnt have to jump down his throat

With a name like appleretailguy, who's side did you expect him to take? :D

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yes..

It's true, I did work there for a few years and I'm sure I'm jaded because of the many frivolous complaints that I used to get.

But I don't think I chose any side here. Plain and simple, the Apple store screwed up. What kind of idiot employee doesn't ASSUME the customer wants the new model?

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Meh... I'd call them and explain the situation... I bet they'll help you out.

As to the Apple employee... I'm sure they realize the difference between the prior and current box. Kinda hard to miss the Johnny Depp being on the new box. They probably tired to get rid of some old hardware.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
appleretailguy said:
It's true, I did work there for a few years and I'm sure I'm jaded because of the many frivolous complaints that I used to get.

But I don't think I chose any side here. Plain and simple, the Apple store screwed up. What kind of idiot employee doesn't ASSUME the customer wants the new model?

You worked in Apple retail, and you don't understand how simple it is to make a mistake like that? When I worked in Apple Retail, we were always swamped. Someone asks for a 30GB Black iPod, you grab a box, and ring them out. The boxes look almost identical. It's very simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.