PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Linux on a PPC G4 iBook

idkfa
Sep 19, 2006, 05:22 PM
Is this possible?

Can I use a "live CD" version of Ubuntu Linux to boot Ubuntu to use as an OS on my Mac?

Mernak
Sep 19, 2006, 05:41 PM
Yeah, it works fine as long as you got the PPC build of it. I used it on my iBook. Just as a warning it does take a while to start and loads the entire OS into RAM so be sure that you have a decent amount if you want to get anything done.

idkfa
Sep 19, 2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks!!

Do you happen to have a link, or some direction?

I cannot seem to find exactly what I need, keeping in mind this is the first time I have tried this and would like to get it right the first time.

Cheers.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. :D

Warbrain
Sep 20, 2006, 09:30 AM
Yea, it runs as slow as crap when you run it off the live disc. I'm tempted to partition my HDD and install it.

idkfa
Sep 20, 2006, 04:46 PM
I have some questions.

How would it run on Virtual PC 7? I have 1 GB of RAM...

Also, how exactly do you install it in Virtual PC? It asks for a "Proper Boot Disk", even when the Live CD is running.

If I installed Ubuntu on a partition, what would it take to switch between the two?

Thanks.

dpaanlka
Sep 20, 2006, 05:00 PM
How would it run on Virtual PC 7?

It doesn't.

Be careful if you plan on replacing OS X with Ubuntu. Make sure it's really what you want, which it probably isn't unless you have some specific reason for running Linux.

idkfa
Sep 20, 2006, 05:19 PM
:D

Thanks.

However, I was not planning on dumping OSX. I was looking to perhaps install it on a USB key so I can test it out some more. I like working in it; less distractions. If I could install a Windows build of it on my USB key, and run it on any Windows machine I want, that would be awesome.

Any advice?

clevin
Sep 20, 2006, 05:50 PM
:D

Thanks.

However, I was not planning on dumping OSX. I was looking to perhaps install it on a USB key so I can test it out some more. I like working in it; less distractions. If I could install a Windows build of it on my USB key, and run it on any Windows machine I want, that would be awesome.

Any advice?
ubuntu is probably too big to fit on a USB drive, DSL (Damn Small Linux) is only 50Mb, if you wanna try.