PDA

View Full Version : Help My Decision! iBooks - new ones worth the wait?


Fall
Apr 2, 2003, 06:52 PM
Okay, I want my own mac ASAP, and I've decided on an iBook...should I wait for these 'phantom updates' to the line that are supposedly coming? How far would you guess realistically they are away?

Should I just settle for a snow book?

Oh, and would Macromedia Studio MX run any decent on them anyway? I wouldn't be doing anything heavy, but I'd need to use it!

yzedf
Apr 2, 2003, 07:13 PM
Last Release: November 06, 2002

Days Since Update: 147 (Average = 139)

Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle
Found here:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Fall
Apr 2, 2003, 07:14 PM
Is anyone good at guessing?

How long should we expect to wai t for new ones though?

Kwyjibo
Apr 2, 2003, 07:31 PM
we all specualted in this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23331

bottom line nobody knows but my guess would be a summer upgrade of all the laptops at once. Its the msot logical to keep the stauts of processor speed in balance.

QCassidy352
Apr 2, 2003, 07:51 PM
in 2002, there were January ibooks, May ibooks, and November ibooks (the current ones). The new ones have to be coming in some reasonable timeframe...

I got one of the January ibooks in March and there were better ones two months later. That was pretty annoying...

I'd say wait unless you're desperate. :) The updates might not come until the summer, but then we'd be talking 7-8 months between updates and that's a lot for Apple.

It's been about 6 weeks since apple released any updates, and ipods, ibooks, and 15" powerbooks all have to be coming in the next few weeks I'd say.

Kwyjibo
Apr 2, 2003, 08:10 PM
I agree its a long update but there are a few issues

they now have 4 laptop models to deal with (assuming all top o line iBooks have the same specs 12 or 14). Because of that everything needs to mesh and well. As you may have ntoiced there have been a bunch of "iBook or Powerbook threads" and apple knows this and they want ppl to buy a Powerbook.

The current mobo in the 12in iBook only supports up to 800mhz so they need a new mobo when they upgrade it.

Right now i'm sure they are selling more powerbooks because they are now cheaper 1799 and they have more features, DDR, AE and bluetooth. By leaving the powerbook to sell itself over the un updated ibook they are acheiving their goal of selling more powerbooks. I honestly still sya sumemr for all the laptops at once its the onyl real logcial choice. I also don't think a new 15in will appear unless it gets a faster processor. The 15in provessor woudl probably nto outpce the more costly 17in model. Jsut my thoughts.

macphoria
Apr 2, 2003, 10:41 PM
In my opinion, update is just around the corner. Apple products go by 6 month update cycle, which means iBook will be updated in May at the latest.

This update might not be simple processor upgrade, it might be a whole new iBook. We've been told this will be "year of laptops." I don't think introduction of new aluminium PowerBook early this year will be the end of it.

If this were to be simple processor upgrade, I'm inclined to say it would be 900Mhz G3 update. But if it turns out to be whole new iBook, I believe Apple will toss in 1Ghz G3, not only because 1Ghz G3 has been available for a while, but because introducing a whole new product with mere 100Mhz update will not be enticing enough for the buyers.

If you are not in a hurry, wait for the update and then decide. Worse comes to worst, if you do not like the update of iBook, you'll be able to buy current iBook at discount price.

Abstract
Apr 2, 2003, 11:16 PM
I still say that they're going to break their 6 month update cycle and update in June or July instead of May. The 6 month cycle isn't accurate like a clock, but a good estimate. When they DO update in the summer, it'll be a HUGE update. I suggest you wait. :)

CrackedButter
Apr 3, 2003, 06:34 AM
I bought one now knowing there were updates on the way but how long should a person wait?

I am 100% satisfied with my purchase, it does what i want, why would i want more at the moment if its already capable?

macphoria
Apr 3, 2003, 08:55 AM
I suppose a person could wait if that person is not in a hurry to get a computer and already has access to one.

Also, if a Mac you want to get is expecting mere processor upgrade, you could decide not to wait. But if the Mac is going to have complete overhaul, then it might be worth the wait. Latest model tends to last a little longer and have better compatibility with latest software (Panther?).