PDA

View Full Version : Macbook pro won't boot.....

godspeed
Sep 24, 2006, 11:51 PM
Ok, in Thailand on holiday so no Apple support help out here.

I have macbook pro, 2.16 2gb ram and bootcamp is not installed. I put it to sleep last night having been listening to some tunes on itunes (I also watched a DVD).

Today when I tried to start the macbook pro this is what happened.

1) the light on the front of the macbook pro glows faintly (constant)
2) the DVD spins (there is a movie in the mbp)

The macbook pro does not get past these 2 stages, it does not start up, the screen stays black, the keyboard does not respond, however the processors do get warm when it is left in this state for a period of 5 minutes or more.

I have tried the follwing,

1) held down the power button until it beeps - it didn't beep
2) reset the pram - nothing happened
3) tried starting in safe mode - nothing happened
4) tried holding down the mouse button upon starting - nothing happened
5) held down cmd option and the other one before starting - nothing
6) held the macbook pro up to see if the dvd would fall out - it didn't

It seems like the keyboard is not responsive, the caps lock and num lock lights are not working. No power is coming out of the usb ports, when I try to start the mbp I plugged my ipod in and it didn't charge.

Can anybody please help me with this one, I am in Thailand for another 3 weeks and seriously need to get this sorted. Thanks in advance.... ;0

elisha cuthbert
Sep 24, 2006, 11:52 PM

I have macbook pro, 2.16 2gb ram and bootcamp is not installed. I put it to sleep last night having been listening to some tunes on itunes (I also watched a DVD).

The macbook pro does not get past these 2 stages, it does not start up, the screen stays black, the keyboard does not respond, however the processors do get warm when it is left in this state for a period of 5 minutes or more.

It seems like the keyboard is not responsive, the caps lock and num lock lights are not working. No power is coming out of the usb ports, when I try to start the mbp I plugged my ipod in and it didn't charge.

Can anybody please help me with this one, I am in Thailand for another 3 weeks and seriously need to get this sorted. Thanks in advance.... ;0
take out the battery and try and start it off power and see if that works or try it visa versa

godspeed
Sep 25, 2006, 02:17 AM
Tried to start from mains only with battery out and vice versa. Still the same problem. Also depleted the battery fully and tried to start off mains but no success. :(

...... I think it is doomed, I think it is caught in some conflict after being put to sleep, I'm guessing the sleep information is stored in the pram but I am not able to flush it. I wish I has access to a usb keyboard but I doubt this would help either. Anybody know how to get a dvd out of a macbook, I heard rumor of a pinhole but could not find it on the mbp.... I think that maybe if I could get the dvd out it maight boot...

cheers in advance

NJuul
Sep 25, 2006, 02:49 AM
have you tried resetting the pmu?
Take out the battery, disconnect from A/C power, hold down the power button for 5 seconds.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

Might wanna try this out, though I have my doubts...
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060814211608242

godspeed
Sep 25, 2006, 05:28 AM
have you tried resetting the pmu?
Take out the battery, disconnect from A/C power, hold down the power button for 5 seconds.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

Might wanna try this out, though I have my doubts...
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060814211608242

Thanks mate, tried all of it. After putting a business card in the DVD tray the DVD eventually came out. This however was the only thing that was fixed, the macbook would still not boot up and just hung. Then I thought it might be the ram so I took some out and switched slots etc... but this did not work either. I am stumped... anybody else?????? please

wawman
Dec 22, 2006, 04:39 PM
I have a MBP that is doing the same thing. It will not start. When booted the front light comes on and the CD drive turns, but then hangs.

It has done this the last two days. I have done everything mentioned above. I have been able to get it to boot twice when I have left it charge completely up it will boot.

What might have started this was my wife got a new cell phone, a Razor w/ the mini USB plug. I plugged it into my MBP and let it charge the phone over night. The next morning I closed the lid, took it to work and it wouldn't boot.

Godspeed, what did you finally end up doing?

cokebottle
Dec 25, 2006, 07:35 AM
Hey folks. I have MacBook Pro 15"/2GHz/2GB with same problem. I tried everything, nothing helped. :(

Any idea?

BlackFrog
Feb 28, 2007, 09:12 PM
Hi everyone!

So I got my macbook pro back in september sometime and instead of spending $400 on 2gb of RAM from apple, I got 'macbook pro compatible' RAM made by munchkin from www.ncix.com for about half the price. So I install the RAM and everything works great for about two months. Then I start getting the exact same problem everyone else describes. I press the power button to turn it on and I get the cd drive 'engage'-ing sound and the sleep light comes on dimly but the screen stays dark and there is no mac sound or anything. I try all sorts of crap but nothing works. Then I try removing my RAM. It just so happens I kept the original stick of 512mb that it shipped with so I try just that stick and it boots perfectly.

Right now it's running with the munchkin ram (2 sticks of 1gb each) and booting fine. Every now an then however, it won't boot and I have to either swap one of the sticks for the apple ram (sometimes works) or replace both sticks with just the apple one (always works). So I carry around the apple RAM stick in my laptop bag just in case. I've gotten funny looks when I have to use it because I tell people I just decided to upgrade my ram and its usually at the beginning of a class.

Anyways I've also noticed that when it won't boot, the sleep light gets brighter/dimmer as you tilt the screen more/less. With the screen almost closed, the sleep light is very dim, however with the screen fully open, it is much brighter (tho not as bright as it should be). Very, very weird, I'm just wondering if anyone else gets this too.

BTW the machine is a MBP 15"/2.0GHz CD/2GB.

-BlackFrog

BlackFrog
Feb 28, 2007, 09:12 PM
Edit: oops double post :/

Later Edit:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300537

Apple has a little page on this which offers little help (reset PRAM etc)

ctdesing
Feb 22, 2008, 09:06 AM
Hi, i have been with the same problem with my Intel Macbook, I got a 2GB RAM Intel Macbook. i was reading this forum and i started to check my hardware. I swap my ram and i keept with first one, the another one, that was pre-installed by apple too, i took off my macbook. Then i turn on my macbook and i keept pressed the start button for a while. The my macbook start working correctly. Thank you all for your help. Right now i don't know what to do with my other ram, but my macbook still working without it. So thank you all for your help and i hope you still posting in this great forum.

Macbook User.

Mac-Princess
Oct 14, 2008, 09:31 AM
Ok, so I just got a MacBook Pro 15"/2GHz/2GB, and on the second day I saw these dark vertical line appear on the screen. From the bottom, dark then more faded towards the top.

Sometimes it's there, other times not? I just shut down and restart. Do any of you know what's causing this?:confused:

Also, I had my MacBook Pro on (I think) all night, without the charger. I was watchin' a DvD... so I figured that it wasn't openin' because it had no charge...anyways, I put it on the charger this morning and when I got back home it wouldn't still start up. Is there another way to start up my laptop? (the start button doesn't appear to be jammed/ stuck or anytin' )
:(
Thank You

Ivana Machova
Jan 4, 2009, 04:58 PM
Godspeed, could you please tell me how did you fix your MBP, i know it was almost 2 years ago, but do you remember what you've done. I have the same issue except, I'm not in Thailand... Thanks!

ballpein
Jan 15, 2009, 01:49 AM
I'd like to hear how this was resolved, too. From what I gather, my MBP will need service.

jharju
Jan 23, 2009, 12:30 AM
I'd like to hear how this was resolved, too. From what I gather, my MBP will need service.
I also have exactly same problems that Godspeed had. My MBP is little over two years old without AppleCare so it would be great to know how problem was fixed. If it is going to cost hundreds of euros there's no idea for repairing.

I send PM message but haven't got reply.

van nilla
Feb 6, 2009, 07:26 AM
Tried to start from mains only with battery out and vice versa. Still the same problem. Also depleted the battery fully and tried to start off mains but no success. :(

...... I think it is doomed, I think it is caught in some conflict after being put to sleep, I'm guessing the sleep information is stored in the pram but I am not able to flush it.

I wish I has access to a usb keyboard but I doubt this would help either.

cheers in advance

You are right: the usb ports are all dead: I tried a usb-mouse/keyboard and even external dvi-video monitor.

And I agree that corrupt pmu and/or pram info that cannot be reset properly may be to blame, for reasons explained below.

There are lots of saavy yet frustratded folks on the internet with very similar symptoms finding that none of the usual fixes (pmu/smc, pram) work. One said:
[QUOTE]
... to bring it to an apple support and I would likely get the response that the logic board is damaged. I don’t have the warranty or the receipt. I feel a flaw on Apple policy regarding these problem. If they know that this is common on MBP then under warranty or not, they should replace it.[\QUOTE]

This thread seems to be the longest, and I was encouraged when I saw the suggestion about replacing ram... and it worked for me!!! But just twice and never since then, in spite of hours of trying :(

I have tried for hours various steps to get it to boot again, and various clues I observed point to a corrupt "state of mind" in the pmu/smc and/or pram. Here are some of those clues:

The power light (on lid-release-button) is dim when lid open; the light is full-brightness when lid is closed: so this means the pmu is responding to the lid-closure switch. (You can keep the light on full-brightness with a small "refrigerator" magnet near the "end/right-arrow" keys, but that does not help getting it to boot as near as I can tell.) It never does the "sleep" brightening then fading: brightness is either steady dim or steady bright. By holding down power-button a while, once or twice I noticed some fast blinks of the light... thought it might be resetting itself or trying to flash firmware, but still won't get to chime.

I can reproducibly get it to go into a state where fan runs full on but no power-light at all by doing the pmu reset (holding down power-button with no battery or power-cord) and plugging in the power-cord while button is still held down.

Now the PRAM info at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379 last updated Jan 2009 does not list any sleep or power info retained in the pram. But wiki-pedia suggests apple is probably storing other info there and not telling us: perhaps the sleep state.

A brand new battery was bought for this macbook-pro a short while ago, and perhaps the "non-volatile" PRAM became corrupt when the old battery was replaced? (Perhaps moral is, if you replace a battery, do it quickly and/or with power on?).

Or perhaps pram has nothing to do with it, but the PMU firmware is poorly written and can get into a confused state that will not let power-up proceed to the "chime" state. I suspect that the PMU is not really getting fully reset, and/or is reading some corrupt info from PRAM and going into unknown state.

I think the apple-folks need to re-examine their Power-On-Self-Test code. I think there needs to be some way early in the power-on process, pre-open-firmware, to really reset pram. It seems currently if you never hear the 1st chime, then command-option-P-R can not reset the pram. And I suspect we are in a state where corrupt pram is preventing us from getting to the point where pram can be reset in a classic Catch 22. There needs to be some other way to reset things other than the only other apparent solution: replace logic board $$$$.

Not sure what the ram has to do with this, though if I pull all ram, the POST does give the correct 3-blinks or the bright power light. Go figure. I guess it's so frustrating because you can see it is getting through some steps in the startup process then losing it's way, and you want to yell at it: keep going, keep going!

By the way, like others, if you leave it with the dim light on for a while, the fans eventually come on, and things are all warm, including the RAM chips (the old finger test).

I'm hoping someone with access to the detailed step-by-step power-on process can use above info to figure out exactly where the start up is getting derailed and offer some fix that does not involve a new logic board!

emheenan
Feb 7, 2009, 04:38 AM
I too have exactly these same symptoms, and can reproduce all the same responses as in the above post.

Right now a new MBP looks like the only option - my local Apple reseller (no Apple store in the city where I live :( ) has quoted me $100 and a three week wait just to tell me what they think is wrong with it, let alone fix it (by replacing the logic board no doubt).

If anyone has solved the problem by less drastic means I'd love to hear from you.

Edit:
Has anyone tried disconnecting the NVRAM/PRAM (or whatever it's called) battery to force a restart? I don't have a Torx screwdriver so can't open up my MBP to try.

Alternatively - does anyone know what the lifetime of the NVRAM/PRAM battery is? If I leave my MBP sitting without the main battery in and disconnected from the power, will the NVRAM/PRAM battery eventually go flat (and thereby reset the PRAM)? If so, does anybody have an estimate of how long that might take?

buthidae
Feb 7, 2009, 06:11 PM
This is happening for me too on my 2.53GHz unibody. I tried an SMC reset to no avail yesterday, but then a few minutes later on the phone with Applecare we did another reset and it worked.

Today it's failing to start again, and it's Sunday, so all the shops are closed. Killer.

edit: OK, I let it do it's thing with the light on for a while and it drained the battery. Gave it some power, and hitting the power button brought it back out of deep sleep. Every time this has happened it's booted back out of that state despite no legit reason for it to have done that... Very weird

emheenan
Feb 8, 2009, 05:12 AM
Were you having exactly the same symptoms as those described above? I.e., do you have:

Power light on lid catch comes on.
Power on to DVD drive and HDD, but not to LCD.
No power from USB
No response from Keyboard - i.e. capslock light and numlock light do not come on when pressed.
No grey screen and no boot chime.

I'd love to think I'm just not doing the SMC reset properly, but I've been trying for three days to no avail. It's clear that something is going fundamentally wrong in the Open Firmware, so that I can't reset the PRAM on boot. I've tried replacing the RAM, but that didn't work either. I've tried booting without the (main) battery installed (i.e. only off main power) but that didn't work. I also tried letting the battery run down to empty and booting, as you said you did, but that has done nothing either.

What irks me is that there was absolutely nothing that predicted this - I was using my MBP like normal, it started behaving a little strangely (Safari hung and force quit wouldn't work) so I tried to Log Out - it logged most of the way out then sat there looking like it had hung, so I did an Open Apple-Option-Reset, and then nothing... It was dead.

This is happening for me too on my 2.53GHz unibody. I tried an SMC reset to no avail yesterday, but then a few minutes later on the phone with Applecare we did another reset and it worked.

Today it's failing to start again, and it's Sunday, so all the shops are closed. Killer.

edit: OK, I let it do it's thing with the light on for a while and it drained the battery. Gave it some power, and hitting the power button brought it back out of deep sleep. Every time this has happened it's booted back out of that state despite no legit reason for it to have done that... Very weird

buthidae
Feb 9, 2009, 04:46 AM
Were you having exactly the same symptoms as those described above? I.e., do you have:

Power light on lid catch comes on.
Power on to DVD drive and HDD, but not to LCD.
No power from USB
No response from Keyboard - i.e. capslock light and numlock light do not come on when pressed.
No grey screen and no boot chime.

Yep, to the letter. Does your power light go to full brightness if you close the lid?

I had another chat with Apple today but we didn't get it going again. I tried a few more things including powering cycles with an external display connected to no avail.

I've managed to get it going again for now and I'm doing an overdue Time Machine backup before going any further! I'm not really game to put it to sleep either :D

To get it moving again I removed the power adaptor and battery, and the harddrive as well, and then did an SMC reset by holding down the power button for >10 seconds. I then plugged the power adaptor back in and left the battery and HDD disconnected. Then I powered on while holding the power button until the sleep light turns off briefly, and then comes on and flickers rapidly, and then turns off again. It then chimed and booted to a grey screen! You may want to try that step with the option key held down as well, option+power got me going one time last night but it may have been a red herring.

After the chime and grey screen it was going no further, but there is definitely something working, as a single tap on the power button did a clean shutdown. Several times, I then replicated this sequence of turning off and on again. Once satisfied, I removed the power plug, reconnected the battery, HDD and power, and hit the power button to a happy chime and sweet success.

With the proviso noted above, of course ;)
I need my laptop reliable for a couple of days but I'll see how it goes with sleeping again soon :)

edit: Also, no Open Firmware in Intel Macs afaik - EFI replaced it's functionality :)

emheenan
Feb 9, 2009, 08:47 AM
Yep, to the letter. Does your power light go to full brightness if you close the lid?

The power light was going to full brightness when I closed the lid, so yes - I was getting that symptom too. However, I've since removed the hard disk and tried what you suggested below...

To get it moving again I removed the power adaptor and battery, and the harddrive as well, and then did an SMC reset by holding down the power button for >10 seconds. I then plugged the power adaptor back in and left the battery and HDD disconnected. Then I powered on while holding the power button until the sleep light turns off briefly, and then comes on and flickers rapidly, and then turns off again. It then chimed and booted to a grey screen! You may want to try that step with the option key held down as well, option+power got me going one time last night but it may have been a red herring.

After the chime and grey screen it was going no further, but there is definitely something working, as a single tap on the power button did a clean shutdown. Several times, I then replicated this sequence of turning off and on again. Once satisfied, I removed the power plug, reconnected the battery, HDD and power, and hit the power button to a happy chime and sweet success.

With the proviso noted above, of course ;)
I need my laptop reliable for a couple of days but I'll see how it goes with sleeping again soon :)

edit: Also, no Open Firmware in Intel Macs afaik - EFI replaced it's functionality :)

... but it didn't work. Without the hard disk plugged in I'm not getting any power light on the front at all. Maybe I broke something when I opened it up? Now when I hit the power button I hear the superdrive power up then nothing - no fans (and obviously, since it's been removed - no hdd)

Option-power didn't do anything for me either.

I've now officially written it off as cactus. I ordered a new MBP today, and will try putting the old hdd in an external case. While it's nice to have a new laptop, I'm not a very happy camper at the moment - the damn thing was only 18 months old.

Coelacanth64
Feb 9, 2009, 09:49 AM
Folks,
My MBP won't boot; period. No lights, no spinning DVD drive. Nothing.

However, it doesn't happen every time I push the power button. If I persist, so far it has eventually booted. But, I can find no common reason why.
And, after it starts it runs perfectly; both in OSX & XP.

I've reset the SMC & PRAM. I checked the battery; it's fine. And, I tried to start up both on wall power & on battery power. No difference.

So far it has always eventually powered up. So far.

Therefore, the questions are these:
1.) anybody else ever have this happen?
2.) could it be the power button itself?
3.) has anybody ever replaced a power button? I have already upgraded my wireless card & HDD, so opening it up is no big deal.

Any help is more than welcome.

:confused:

Update:
I went to my local Apple Store & spoke with one of their techs. Very professional.
He suggested I replace the upper case. I can do that.

However, after I came home I had a thought (rare enough), so I tried a little experiment. I discovered that, if I leave the machine off for 5 minutes or more, it starts just fine. Every time.

Could this be a temperature/heat related matter? And, if so, what could the heat be affecting??

buthidae
Feb 9, 2009, 11:22 PM
I've since removed the hard disk and tried what you suggested below...

... but it didn't work.

Ahh, tragic. Sorry to hear that those steps didn't work for you! :(

If anything, the best thing I could probably offer is that I found persistence to be the key in getting it to booting stage. I accidentally let it sleep again today but managed to get it booting again relatively easily.

It really feels like something isn't getting written to EFI properly on sleep and it's freaking out the wake or power-on cycles... I'm not sure what else it could be!

edit: I think I've managed to fix it - it was acting up again but once booted I started poking through console and removed the Cisco VPN software, which was the only thing being logged during shutdown. After that, I did a permissions repair which fixed a single file to do with CUPS, and now it seems to be behaving perfectly :D

emheenan
Feb 11, 2009, 12:09 AM
Curious - I also have/had Cisco VPN software installed...

My 'crash' actually happened when, or after, I did a 'Logout', rather than a reboot. I don't think I'd ever done a Logout before - since I have only one user on the MBP I would normally reset or shutdown rather than logout. It hung after going to a blue screen (i.e. after closing down Aqua, or whatever it's called now) but before coming up with a login prompt. Then I did a hard reset (Command-Ctrl-Power), and it died.

However, as I said above, I simply can't get it to start up at all, with or without the hdd. I'll give it another go tonight, but I'm not holding my breath.

PS: Regarding my now non-functioning sleep light - when I closed up my MBP after removing the HDD, I didn't reconnect the cables at the front right of the machine to the HDD cable. I have an inkling that one of those two clips might be for the sleep light on the front of the MBP, and that's why mine isn't working?

loragen
Feb 15, 2009, 03:48 PM
This is my first post, so my apologies if this has been said elsewhere. It may or may not be relevant to this thread. I have had similar (can't boot) problems with my Intel MBP (OS X 10.5.1, 2.2 Ghz Core2Duo, stock 2GB ram) for about a year. I still don't know what's wrong, but in my case, whenever it won't boot (about half the time), I can always boot it by:

1. Continuously press the power button for 10 seconds.
2. Release briefly, then press again briefly.

It always boots, and gives me an error: "OSX shut down unexpectedly" even though, every time, I did a proper shutdown, sometimes logging off first, sometimes not. This suggests to me (new to Mac) that a process may have been left unterminated upon system shutdown that is preventing the system response to the "on" button until a forced power shutdown.

If it matters, the only thing not stock about my MBP is that I have VMware Fusion loaded, but I never use it.

Coelacanth64
Feb 15, 2009, 07:12 PM
This is my first post, so my apologies if this has been said elsewhere. It may or may not be relevant to this thread. I have had similar (can't boot) problems with my Intel MBP (OS X 10.5.1, 2.2 Ghz Core2Duo, stock 2GB ram) for about a year. I still don't know what's wrong, but in my case, whenever it won't boot (about half the time), I can always boot it by:

1. Continuously press the power button for 10 seconds.
2. Release briefly, then press again briefly.

It always boots, and gives me an error: "OSX shut down unexpectedly" even though, every time, I did a proper shutdown, sometimes logging off first, sometimes not. This suggests to me (new to Mac) that a process may have been left unterminated upon system shutdown that is preventing the system response to the "on" button until a forced power shutdown.

If it matters, the only thing not stock about my MBP is that I have VMware Fusion loaded, but I never use it.

loragen,
I'll have to try that specific sequence.

To date this is the situation:
1.) Machine always starts in AM, runs fine all day; in either OSX or XP.
2.) Machine always starts after exactly 18 minutes of shutdown.
3.) Once started and allowed to load completely it will not shutdown via the power button.
4.) After full boot the machine will power down normally using the keyboard or mouse click commands.

I installed a new Seagate, 320GB HDD over Christmas, but this anomaly only began about 2 weeks ago.

Any info is more than welcome. This is my business laptop & I'd hate to have to ship it to Apple for an extended period. I'm beginning to think that this may be more involved that a simple power button issue. Perhaps, a bad capacitor or diode?

loragen
Feb 15, 2009, 07:43 PM
loragen,
I'll have to try that specific sequence.

To date this is the situation:
1.) Machine always starts in AM, runs fine all day; in either OSX or XP.
2.) Machine always starts after exactly 18 minutes of shutdown.
3.) Once started and allowed to load completely it will not shutdown via the power button.
4.) After full boot the machine will power down normally using the keyboard or mouse click commands.

I installed a new Seagate, 320GB HDD over Christmas, but this anomaly only began about 2 weeks ago.

Any info is more than welcome. This is my business laptop & I'd hate to have to ship it to Apple for an extended period. I'm beginning to think that this may be more involved that a simple power button issue. Perhaps, a bad capacitor or diode?

Our symptoms are not quite the same, but they do share some common attributes... e.g., "starts after exactly 18 minutes" certainly suggests a process timeout rather than a thermal hardware intermittancy, which is never that predictable. Something that interacts with the PMU firmware would first come to mind, but I'm just guessing, since I know nothing about the internals of the OS. I'm sure that many of the people on this forum do, though. Sorry I can't be more help.

van nilla
Feb 16, 2009, 03:31 PM
Ended up getting new logic board at $300 flat rate, and after a week or so problem seems fixed for now. :o That flat rate is a good deal for any apple laptops for getting repaired at the apple store: they charge about an extra $100 for out-of-warranty repairs.

fireartjohn
Feb 20, 2009, 06:45 PM
I've had the same problem, failure to boot with the sleep light steady half bright, hdd noise, no usb, no external video, no lcd display, for over a year. I can fix it every time by removing the RAM, waiting 2 minutes, reinserting the RAM and booting.

I've tried replacing the RAM. Same effect on both the stock 2x1G and the new matched pair 2x2G. I've replace the hdd with a 320G model. I've reset permissions. I've tried everything Apple recommends. I've replaced the OS. I now run 10.5.6, XP on Parallels, Vista on the bootcamp partition and Ubuntu on the extra room at the end of the Vista space. I use ReFIT. That all works fine, except for this boot issue which is no better nor worse today.

I notice the computer runs fine for days and wakes from sleep fine too. It also Restarts fine, including letting me select from the OS's. For me it won't boot after I've shutdown, closed the lid, opened the lid, and then tried to boot up.

I'd be happy to replace the logic board if I could be sure the new one didn't have this problem. Although, from previous posters it sounds like the problem still exists in the new unibody MBPs.

Sounds like I will try the other suggestions above and see what happens.
Thanks

jumpingjoe
Feb 23, 2009, 09:04 PM
I guess its my turn to chime in... I have tried most of the remedies offered here and mainly want to know if it is a lost cause (i.e., the old standby: fried motherboard) before i bother paying someone to look at it.

The situation:
get up one morning, open the computer (it was asleep) and nothing - no screen.

When i boot i get the startup chime, the disk engages, i even get error "beeps" when i type random input at the login screen (voiceover tells me i am in login screen). no light. sometimes the "pulsing" sleep light stays on when computer is open and running... sometimes not.

i cant see anything on the lcd so its not just the backlight - no activity on the screen at all.

i was about to despair when, after copying all my files over to another computer (target disk mode works fine), i started it up and the screen was working fine - as good as new. until i closed the computer and then it was dark again...

I haven't tried removing and re-placing the ram yet but since the computer has full functionality aside from the screen I doubt that this is the issue. The USB ports have power (enough to power my mouse anyway) but when I hook it up to an external monitor i get more nothing...

8 months ago (a few days before warranty expired) the computer crapped out and i had the motherboard replaced. now it is out of warranty and, here at least, i am being told that a motherboard replacement will cost me well over 1k... :-(

i did pram reset, i disconnected the power supply and battery and held down the power button, i have done pretty much everything else i could think of (running only off of power cord w/battery removed, etc.). haven't tried booting off CD yet but, again, since the damn thing works perfectly fine except for the screen, I don't think that will help much...

Could it be a switch or sensor? But presumably that would only effect the backlight... since there is no activity on the screen at all I am guessing the prospects are grim.

So what do you think? Motherboard/video card or will "simply" swapping the screen help? any other ideas? i am not happy at having a $3500 machine die twice in less than 2 years of ownership but then again i suppose nobody in this thread is happy....

technoreid
Mar 22, 2009, 03:16 PM
I guess its my turn to chime in... I have tried most of the remedies offered here and mainly want to know if it is a lost cause (i.e., the old standby: fried motherboard) before i bother paying someone to look at it.

The situation:
get up one morning, open the computer (it was asleep) and nothing - no screen.

When i boot i get the startup chime, the disk engages, i even get error "beeps" when i type random input at the login screen (voiceover tells me i am in login screen). no light. sometimes the "pulsing" sleep light stays on when computer is open and running... sometimes not.

i cant see anything on the lcd so its not just the backlight - no activity on the screen at all.

i was about to despair when, after copying all my files over to another computer (target disk mode works fine), i started it up and the screen was working fine - as good as new. until i closed the computer and then it was dark again...

I haven't tried removing and re-placing the ram yet but since the computer has full functionality aside from the screen I doubt that this is the issue. The USB ports have power (enough to power my mouse anyway) but when I hook it up to an external monitor i get more nothing...

8 months ago (a few days before warranty expired) the computer crapped out and i had the motherboard replaced. now it is out of warranty and, here at least, i am being told that a motherboard replacement will cost me well over 1k... :-(

i did pram reset, i disconnected the power supply and battery and held down the power button, i have done pretty much everything else i could think of (running only off of power cord w/battery removed, etc.). haven't tried booting off CD yet but, again, since the damn thing works perfectly fine except for the screen, I don't think that will help much...

Could it be a switch or sensor? But presumably that would only effect the backlight... since there is no activity on the screen at all I am guessing the prospects are grim.

So what do you think? Motherboard/video card or will "simply" swapping the screen help? any other ideas? i am not happy at having a $3500 machine die twice in less than 2 years of ownership but then again i suppose nobody in this thread is happy....

I have the same thing happening but on a regular MacBook 2.0 early 2006 model.....

I have done everything I can!!!!! you name, I have done it.... except logic board....

which I think is the main culprit.

once shutdown cannot start up. but if I wait maybe 10-20 minutes it will bott up again.

thanks, techno

Phylodome35
Apr 29, 2009, 08:26 PM
So I just got back from the Apple store, where, miraculously, they solved my problem.

I was having the exact same issue as discussed above (by those staying on topic), and tried the various remedies suggested to no avail. So I took my computer to the Genius Bar for a diagnostic. They informed me of this issue:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/115256-engadget-reporting-faulty-nvidia-cards.html

and that NVIDIA would replace the faulty graphics card free of charge. So I'm laptopless for a week :mad: , but it's a free fix that will restore everything back to normal :D

**Note**

If you bring your computer in for this problem, make sure that the "Genius" uses the NVIDIA diagnostic boot disk. It bypasses the normal boot process and runs a diagnostic specifically designed to ferret out this issue. If they don't do this, your MBP will not boot and they will get no information (meaning you will get no results)

Hope this helps.

emheenan
Apr 29, 2009, 11:56 PM
What model/version MBP did you have?

It looks like the Nvidia problem affects early 2008 models. I bought mine in April 2007, so I don't think it's the same cause...

buthidae
May 5, 2009, 06:31 AM
Hi again,

My MBP continued it's trend of not accepting any previous remedy, to the point where it would power on with just the sleep light on (and a bit of drive spinning up). It'd then shut off after 5-10 seconds, and turn back on after another few seconds. The sleep light would stay on and the drives would fully spin up (this last time I've had my OS X disc in there from trying to do a restore), but the screen would never come on.

I've given up - dropped my laptop off for repair yesterday. As far as I can see, there is no magic fix for this one! :cool:

southojen
May 13, 2009, 12:48 PM
Hi again,

My MBP continued it's trend of not accepting any previous remedy, to the point where it would power on with just the sleep light on (and a bit of drive spinning up). It'd then shut off after 5-10 seconds, and turn back on after another few seconds. The sleep light would stay on and the drives would fully spin up (this last time I've had my OS X disc in there from trying to do a restore), but the screen would never come on.

I've given up - dropped my laptop off for repair yesterday. As far as I can see, there is no magic fix for this one! :cool:

Can you please let us know what you find out from Apple. Thanks.

buthidae
May 14, 2009, 05:53 AM
Can you please let us know what you find out from Apple. Thanks.

Absolutely nothing, I'm afraid! I don't have an Apple Store in my area, and the reseller simply replaced the logic board and left it at that.

My own suspicions are along the lines that there's a bug in the EFI code preventing proper dropping in to safe sleep under certain conditions. That's just based off the fact that there are a wide range of ages of laptops reporting faults in this thread. Mine ended up acknowledging but not taking any affect from SMC resets so in theory it could be a fairly wide range of components at fault.

I think van nilla was on the money when he said
Or perhaps pram has nothing to do with it, but the PMU firmware is poorly written and can get into a confused state that will not let power-up proceed to the "chime" state. I suspect that the PMU is not really getting fully reset, and/or is reading some corrupt info from PRAM and going into unknown state.

I think the apple-folks need to re-examine their Power-On-Self-Test code. I think there needs to be some way early in the power-on process, pre-open-firmware, to really reset pram. It seems currently if you never hear the 1st chime, then command-option-P-R can not reset the pram. And I suspect we are in a state where corrupt pram is preventing us from getting to the point where pram can be reset in a classic Catch 22. There needs to be some other way to reset things other than the only other apparent solution: replace logic board $$$$.

Sorry :(

scratt
May 29, 2009, 03:09 AM
Seriously guys don't give up on your machine so easily.. ;)

I actually frequent other places on the web but joined today simply to add some feedback to this thread. It was very helpful to me.

I had the exact symptoms that many of you describe above.
My Core Duo 17" MBP is definitely a "Friday" machine.

USB has always been flakey on it, the LCD has a vertical line that comes and goes, and well, it's always been poorly. This particular machine is the only Mac I have ever used in the field for work in environments that are dirty and hot, and has more than paid for itself, so I put it's quirks down to it's relatively hard life compared to my other more cosseted Macs.

In a nut shell I was running Parallels, had gone to lunch, came back and the screen had gone to sleep. Which is strange as I don't actually have it set to go to sleep.

I use synergy to share a mouse and keyboard between this Mac and my almost 10 year old original 17" PB, which is still going strong as a home server. I tried to SSH in, and all the usual stuff but my machine was well and truly in the land of nod.

I ended up finding the exact same symptoms as everyone here.

Screen blank.
Lid light on full when lid closed.
Lid light dim when lip open.
No chime. DVD clicks. Won't boot at all.

I tried all the tricks I know.

In the end I was trying many different combinations of holding the power button down with no battery in, no mains attached etc.

Tried to boot with no battery.

And so on.. I spent a good 25 - 30 minutes doing that and reading horror stories on the web..

About a month ago I picked up a new Unibody 17" simply because I knew this machine was on the way out... So I was very happy that I had done that, but still sad to see a dead MBP sitting next to a brand new 17" and an original 17" from yester-year both screaming along happily.. The build quality on those first G4 17" PBs is something Apple should take a real long hard look at, and try to get back to.

I also have a lot of work from the last two days on the HD in this machine and did not fancy ripping it apart to re-house the HD.

So I persevered.

1. Get rid of the PSU.
2. Get rid of the battery.
3. Do the >10 second thing on the Power Button with everything off.
4. Take all the RAM out. (This was what made the difference IMO).
5. Do the >10 second thing with the Power Button again.
6. Have a cup of coffee.
7. Do the >10 second thing with the Power Button again.
(I have to wonder if whatever that does takes a lot longer to drain / clear the PMU than Apple thinks.)
8. Stick the RAM back in.
9. Stick the battery in.
10. Connect the power.
11. Blow on your fingers, and fire her up.. et voila: Your Mac is back.

Hope that helps some people anyway.

Peace.

buthidae
May 30, 2009, 02:37 AM

Hey scratt,

Great guide! I hope that it helps some people with this problem.

Unfortunately for my (ex-)Logic Board, I tried exactly as you described (to the letter!) and it still would not kick in to gear. By the time I had given up and arranged a replacement Logic Board it would not deviate from the following behavour:

* (Replace RAM, Reconnect Battery, Reconnect PSU)
* Press Power
* Machine powers up, sleep light turns on, after a few moments the drives start spinning. No screen display.
* After 10-12 seconds, machine suddenly powers off with a 'click'
* After another 5-10 seconds, machine powers up again, sleep light turns on
* Again after a few moments the drives spin up, still no screen display
* Nothing further from this point. Fans & sleep light remain on, CD drive stayed spinning (my OSX DVD was in there so I expect it would have spun down otherwise) but the HDD appeared to have stopped.
* Buthidae mutters various curses, calls his local AppleCentre :D

Now, there is a "gotcha" involved in my case which may have been the final straw for my poor SMC: I was using a 60W PSU when the battery was fully depleted, instead of the proper 85W PSU.

Do not ever do this!

Through some testing, it appears that if the MBP is partially charged a 60W (i.e. MB) PSU will be sufficient to operate and (slowly) charge the unit. It will not, however, provide enough power enough to boot (or start charging) on an empty battery. We discovered this while in the AppleCentre - after I got my MBP back with the new LB we went to boot it up in-store, and it wouldn't start. Turned out to be a 60W PSU being used there as well (the clerk and service techs had always used an MBP there and the three of us had thought it was an 85W PSU, evidentially not).

I suspect my attempts to do SMC resets and the boot with a flattened battery & 60W PSU may have been the final nail in the coffin. For clarity though, I had only used this PSU for the last couple of weeks before getting the unit replaced - all issues previously (where I'd need to do various 'tricks' as noted in this thread) were done alongside an 85W :)

bencracknell
Jun 5, 2009, 06:12 AM
Hi, my first post,

I have exactly the problem described above with my MPB, light glowing brighter when closed but not even getting as far as a chime when booting up.

This was on a MPB that had been behaving oddly, I thought it must be the memory (2x512Mb), so I replaced it with two new 1Gb units from Crucial (uk), I then got the 'won't switch on' problem.

I tried all the things listed above to no avail until I started swapping the memory about. So, starting with the battery out and running on the power pack I did this...

1) I put the original Memory cards back in - nothing
2) I put the new ones in - nothing
3) I took the new ones out, blew in the slots (this felt so wrong!) to remove 'dust' and put one card back in - bingo! It booted properly
4) I put the battery back and booted again - still good
5) I put the second 1Gb card in - it booted just fine

I then shut down and booted up as a test, and restarted, it all worked fine. That was 12 hours ago, I'm using the MPB now and it's all going well.

I hope this works for you!

Ben

brewingup
Jun 9, 2009, 09:12 PM
ugh kill me.

I have exactly the same symptoms on my mbp. less than year old. I've been removing / readding memory, rebooting, etc. have tried everything else posted here also. nothin, nada. zip.

brewingup
Jun 12, 2009, 09:17 AM
holy moly i finally boot up!

After many failed attempts at removing / adding RAM, resetting pram, resetting pmu, trying all different modes of booting, etc i finally said screw it! I left my mbp plugged in overnight in this annoying 'sleep mode' it wouldn't come out of. in the morning i tried resetting pram 2 more times and the second time i booted up it awoke!

How weird and annoying. Hopefully this will help someone else too.

peace out

eaimees
Jun 26, 2009, 09:19 AM
I had every symptom each of you mentioned and was prepared to go through all the steps everyone tried (often to no avail.) I removed the battery, but decided to look up directions on removing the hard drive, etc. I happened to have a disk stuck too, so when I saw directions for removing that, I figured a little more info couldn't hurt. Fortunately that post saved the day!

Here's the bit: I inserted a small piece of thin cardboard just above the disc and twisted it (the cardboard) a little so the disk can’t spin when starting up. I turned the computer on and held down the trackpad button. I could hear the sound of the optical drive inside, not the spinning sound but rather sound of something moving ever so slightly. I heard it only two times and the third sound was a well known one - the offending DVD came out. The computer then happily booted the OS X.

MAGIC!

In case it's helpful, here's the link:
http://www.silvermac.com/2006/dvd-stuck-in-macbook-pro/

sardonicexpress
Jul 9, 2009, 01:16 AM
I had similar problems on my 15" MBP, and tried all of the steps recommended on Apple's help page with no success. What finally worked for me was taking out the battery and RAM and holding the power button down for a rather long time. After putting everything back together and reconnecting the charger, the computer booted up like normal. I tried shutting down and powering back up several times, and everything is working fine.

ssbeltran
Aug 3, 2009, 08:44 PM
So I just got back from the Apple store, where, miraculously, they solved my problem.

I was having the exact same issue as discussed above (by those staying on topic), and tried the various remedies suggested to no avail. So I took my computer to the Genius Bar for a diagnostic. They informed me of this issue:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/115256-engadget-reporting-faulty-nvidia-cards.html

and that NVIDIA would replace the faulty graphics card free of charge. So I'm laptopless for a week :mad: , but it's a free fix that will restore everything back to normal :D

**Note**

If you bring your computer in for this problem, make sure that the "Genius" uses the NVIDIA diagnostic boot disk. It bypasses the normal boot process and runs a diagnostic specifically designed to ferret out this issue. If they don't do this, your MBP will not boot and they will get no information (meaning you will get no results)

Just

Hope this helps.

So I just tried ALL the tips here, in random and posted order... and nothing, nie, nada, zip, kaput.

my symptoms are:
-i get a startup chime, every single time.
-the computer screen stays black, never get the gray screen or anything.
-my sleep indicator light stays dim and does not wax or wane, although it becomes more intense if i close the lid.
-i wait for the login screen (at least i wait until i guess it should already be there) and type my password
-everything seems to work fine, the volume keys make their proper sounds, i even hear the new email tone everytime Mail receives something.
-if i use the "shut off screen" shortcut (control+function+option+shift+eject), which isnt that much of a shortcut, but very useful the sleep indicator light will turn off as soon as I release the keys... yes, weird, but it happens.
-i can even shut the computer down properly by pressing the power button and then enter.

Turns out I called Apple Mexico (I live in Mexico city) and told them about the nvidia geforce 8600 gt issue, and though surprised to hear about this, (they even checked the apple support website) they were very helpful and even offered to vouch for me if I was challenged about having this fixed for free at the local authorized service centers (there arent any apple stores with geniuses here).

so ill take my macbook pro 17 in, 4GB RAM, 2.4 ghz for a checkup tomorrow, and hope to get my logic board (which has the graphics card welded to it) replaced...

ill keep you guys posted.

pier
Aug 3, 2009, 09:43 PM
To everyone on this post having the black screen fo death check this notice from apple.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

If your computer has the Nvidia 8600GT you'll get the logic board (why don't they simply call it motherboard) replaced for free. Even if your computer is out of waranty.

Mine died a few days ago. I got the computer back at home after 3 days for free. Wonderful.

emheenan
Aug 3, 2009, 11:19 PM

**Note**

Hope this helps.

I've just come back to this thread after some time away and have re-read Phylodome35's post.

It seems to me this is not the same problem that those of us staying on topic have had. My reading of the linked Apple Support page indicates that the computer operates normally, there is just no display to the screen when this defect arises.

I understand the thread of this topic to be that the computer turns on but absolutely nothing happens - significantly there is no boot chime. Whereas if it's a nVidia card problem there is a boot chime, you just can't see what's going on.

Is this right?

ssbeltran
Aug 6, 2009, 07:30 PM
I've just come back to this thread after some time away and have re-read Phylodome35's post.

It seems to me this is not the same problem that those of us staying on topic have had. My reading of the linked Apple Support page indicates that the computer operates normally, there is just no display to the screen when this defect arises.

I understand the thread of this topic to be that the computer turns on but absolutely nothing happens - significantly there is no boot chime. Whereas if it's a nVidia card problem there is a boot chime, you just can't see what's going on.

Is this right?

True but some of us are so confused as to why our fricking computer won't boot that we get confused... sorry if my post was off-topic.

I thought this was for people whose MacBooks:
-had a black screen
-had a steadily glowing sleep indicator light
Anyways, I promised I'd get back, and my logicboard was replaced, I am now a happy man.

MWPULSE
Aug 6, 2009, 08:11 PM
The nVidia card problem, specifically the 8600GTm model macbook pros (15" and 17") is known to apple and nVidia. If your computer does experience this problem, you can take it to an apple store, and they will replace the board inside. (as a reminder, this is where the screen goes black, with a pulsating, glowing light on the front- essentially the GPU overheats and kills itself)

The other one, (where the computer doesnt even chime) is a new one to me at least. Although sounds like it might be a logic board problem as well, seeing as the computer is totally unresponsive. Simple test would be to take out the internal HDD, try booting from an external HDD with leopard installed on. Can try to take the ram out, theres a manual PRAM button in the laptop, somewhere on the logic board, cant remember where though :s-this might be a feasible option if people know where to look.. lol.

If nothing else happens take it to the store!!

Thats a summary of the last 2 pages, 3 years of thread lol :-D

PTP

madhukarah
Aug 23, 2009, 04:37 AM
even i got the same problem yesterday.. :( :( :(

i have Macbook Pro 17" 2.5 Ghz (T9300)

My question is, weather they will replace the same Nvidia 8600M GT logic boards or new 9600M GT boards ?

can anyone help me !

cluthz
Aug 23, 2009, 04:51 AM
even i got the same problem yesterday.. :( :( :(

i have Macbook Pro 17" 2.5 Ghz (T9300)

My question is, weather they will replace the same Nvidia 8600M GT logic boards or new 9600M GT boards ?

can anyone help me !

You'll get a 8600M GT board.

madhukarah
Aug 23, 2009, 06:51 AM
Im Located at India and my uncle sent me Macbook pro 17" last year, and i dont have any warranty ...and i just have a MPB and its charger ...!:D

Can my MPB repairable from this logic board problem without warranty.. ?

grainofsalt
Aug 31, 2009, 02:06 AM
I was experiencing the exact same symptoms as described in the original post. I followed scratt's instructions exactly (including the cup of coffee) and now my macbook pro is back to normal. My mbp is a year out of warranty and there's no way i could have afforded to take it to an apple store. Anyway, i just wanted to say thanks. :)

smearedblue
Sep 3, 2009, 06:26 PM
restarted my computer, and nothing.. no power to the usbs, no display,.. nothing..

i do have the same indicator light on the front lit dimly and when i close the lid it gets brighter.. so i know it's the same issue..

I don't think this is something everyone should just deal with.. it's a major power issue involving the logic board, and video card.

I took mine into the apple store, and the kind genius informed me that it is most likely do to the nvidia video card.

This will be my third logic board on this two year old macbook pro. But at least they are kind enough to replace it free of charge, even though my apple care ran out a year ago.

They know that the video card is the issue, and they fix it. props to apple, for addressing this serious issue, and knowing that logic boards should never fail after 1 month, or 1 year and 8 months.

Piwem
Sep 8, 2009, 04:10 PM
First Post

i have a 15" MBP bought in august 2008

Im having the same issue that alot of the ppl here have described. laptop worked fine this morning, i shut it down to take it to class and it wouldn't start after that. I can hear fans and the disc drive spool up but it sounds like it doesn't finish start up and there is no picture.

ive tried all the tricks described and still nothing, i have an appointment at the local apple store tomorrow so we will see what happens. ill post here with results.

yrchern
Sep 14, 2009, 07:01 PM
First Post

i have a 15" MBP bought in august 2008

Im having the same issue that alot of the ppl here have described. laptop worked fine this morning, i shut it down to take it to class and it wouldn't start after that. I can hear fans and the disc drive spool up but it sounds like it doesn't finish start up and there is no picture.

ive tried all the tricks described and still nothing, i have an appointment at the local apple store tomorrow so we will see what happens. ill post here with results.

I have a MBP (mid 2007) and they have replaced my logic board once last year because of the nVidia chip issue. OS X boots but totally no display. I know it is running because I can login and hear some sounds.

Now I got the problem as this thread. There's no display, no start up chime. I just brought it to a local Apple store this afternoon and waiting for their phone call. Probably they are going to replace the logic board again.

BTW, this is the third time I sent it to repair. The second time there's some problem with the LCD so they replace the whole upper lid for me.

madhukarah
Sep 21, 2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks for your support. Logic board got replaced yesterday. They replaced the speakers too..i dont know why..! :D:D:D

Jeffpony
Dec 10, 2009, 03:38 PM
Hi All,

(look for @@@@, to skip the guff and head to the solution)

I'm posting today as I have managed to recover my macbook pro 15" 2.2Ghz unit through the inspiration this thread has given me. I had basically given up until I read through this thread yesterday and thanks to you guys I now have a mac sitting behind me furiously being backed-up. My solution is slightly different to what I have read in the rest of these posts hence why I am posting.

Okay, firstly some background.

My unit has not displayed any kind of problems until two weeks ago. Its running Mac OS 10.6.2 having had no issues with previous versions.

Friday 27th Nov, I set my machine shutting down. Now it took longer than usual, so I decided to shut the lid and finish the shutdown when I got home. I never bothered to do so when I got home. That sunday, I decided to play a DVD on the mac and got it out of the bag. The front power light was on glowing on and off. I pressed power on the unit and basically the original posters symptoms occurred. ****, I thought, as I mulled over the idea that leaving the laptop in the bag semi shutdown had probably cooked it.

So I ran through some basic trouble shooting, removed ram and the battery. Attempted the PMU / SMC reset, no beans, nothing.

Went back into work and had to explain that my laptop is dead, rued not getting applecare. That week I went into Mac Store MK and saw a "genius", who did the basic trouble shooting. The one point I will make now is why did he not tell me about all of the above? It does seem quite a common issue, anyhow he checked for the nVidia issue, that turned up negative and then basically left me with a diagnosis that the logic board was dead and that it was a £700 fix. I decided to decline. I don't know where they pull these repair prices from.

Anyhow, I basically accepted that the unit was dead and decided to move on, and thus I have been using a Windows laptop for the past two weeks!!

Yesterday I decided to give the unit one last chance, I hit the internet to do some research and then found this thread! It gave me hope and some conviction that the unit was not dead, just 'sleeping'. I tried all of the above, holding down power buttons on boot, etc and it did nothing to fix the problem, so I left the unit to recharge the battery over night in the hope that it might turn on the next day with a full charge. This morning came round and I turned on the unit, nothing, same blank stare.

@@@@

So what I decided to do was leave the unit turned on (in the funky sleep state), screen open, only connected to the battery. I left it like this until the battery had drained fully and the unit had turned off. I then reconnected my PSU, pressed power and the Mac booted! I have not restarted yet, but at least I have got my work off of the machine now.

Hopefully posting this will help someone else, loosing £1000 in the space of the weekend can be gutting, especially over something fixable. You do have to wonder why Apple has not fixed this via firmware updates, oh well.

Good luck and take care,

Jeff.

spork183
Dec 16, 2009, 03:14 PM
The Machine: 1st generation MBP intel 2.0ghz with ATI 128graphics, upgraded ram (2x1gb) and upgraded 320gb HD.

The Problem: On power up, drive noises, glowing light, no chime, black screen.

Steps: Tried everything listed in this thread in the way of pram, ram swaps, pressing the power button with my pinkie finger while humming "Battle Hymn of the Republic", etc.

The Fix: When I installed one stick ram in upper (outward, first accessible slot) machine immediately booted normally. When I installed in the bottom slot, no boot. The bottom ram appeared to be seated correctly, however, when I reseated it and applied gentle pressure along the back edge (pushing it further into the connection, not down) with a flat screwdriver, it seated further in, even slightly bowing the spring clips. Reinstalled upper ram, has booted, slept, connected, sat, etc for quite a while now. Your mileage may vary.

Background: Last night I replaced the fried I/O board, and the left and right fans for good measure (heat issues, not boot issues). When I finished, I hooked it up to a 60w charger and left if on all night. Battery registered full charge this morning. Due to dead battery and late hour, I never attempted to boot last night, though I'm sure it would not have booted. This morning, when it wouldn't boot, I disassembled and rechecked all the cabling, to make sure I hadn't missed a connection. Same issue. Reinstalled ram (obviously not securely enough), popped battery out, punched power button til my finger hurt, etc. After browsing numerous forums and trying anything I could do at home (glad I didn't have a spare logic board or that would have gone in :D ) I stumbled across someone talking about a "ram issue" with the bottom slot. Tried it and... Luck ;)

wza
Dec 21, 2009, 01:28 PM
I had been suffering the same problem as many of you since yesterday morning. MBP wouldn't awake from sleep, found this thread on my iphone searching for a way to fix, and tried everything, took ram out, ram back in, pram resets, taking battery out and holding power button for ages. I basically done everything, no joy. Have been doing that continuously since yesterday morning, nothing, black screen, couple of clicks, nothing else.

I had enough, so just left it, psu attached in its deep sleep state for an hour next to me on sofa, I leant over and turned power off, then power back on, and what do you know, it started, big smile on my face, i have my MBP back.

Thanks to everyone for posts as it saved me hitting it with a hammer, and all I can recommend is to persevere with it if its happening to you, keep trying all the things suggested on here, it didn't feel to me like it would work again as no response throughout the 2 days until it decided to wake up for me again.

I love my mac, and always big apple up, but having gone through this, and the worry that my £1300 mpb that is only 2 1/2 years old may be dead forever, reading some horror stories about new logic board and having to spend £700 to get fixed, made me feel a bit worried about the future, i know pc's go wrong, but you can normally fix, or find someone to fix for you, and pretty cheap to do. Don't get me wrong, I'll won't go back to pc, but I won't be singing the praises of apple in same way again.

carlb3
Dec 24, 2009, 08:11 AM
had the same problems as posted earlier.....

pulsing light, startup sound but no image...

tried all the resets, swapped memory...

took it to apple, they pulled out a hard drived labeled NVIDIA tester, I asked, common occurence? the reply was, "yes"

they are replacing the system board.

due to the holidays, will be several days to get it back....

damn glad I bought the applecare.

wza
Jan 2, 2010, 02:49 PM
I had been suffering the same problem as many of you since yesterday morning. MBP wouldn't awake from sleep, found this thread on my iphone searching for a way to fix, and tried everything, took ram out, ram back in, pram resets, taking battery out and holding power button for ages. I basically done everything, no joy. Have been doing that continuously since yesterday morning, nothing, black screen, couple of clicks, nothing else.

I had enough, so just left it, psu attached in its deep sleep state for an hour next to me on sofa, I leant over and turned power off, then power back on, and what do you know, it started, big smile on my face, i have my MBP back.

Thanks to everyone for posts as it saved me hitting it with a hammer, and all I can recommend is to persevere with it if its happening to you, keep trying all the things suggested on here, it didn't feel to me like it would work again as no response throughout the 2 days until it decided to wake up for me again.

I love my mac, and always big apple up, but having gone through this, and the worry that my £1300 mpb that is only 2 1/2 years old may be dead forever, reading some horror stories about new logic board and having to spend £700 to get fixed, made me feel a bit worried about the future, i know pc's go wrong, but you can normally fix, or find someone to fix for you, and pretty cheap to do. Don't get me wrong, I'll won't go back to pc, but I won't be singing the praises of apple in same way again.

All started to go wrong for me again, so i found the following info and all has been good for past 24 hours.

Mac HD > Library > Preferences > System Configuration. Then trash the preferences.plist file, restart.

mwhitted
Feb 9, 2010, 12:47 PM
...So I persevered.

1. Get rid of the PSU.
6. Have a cup of coffee.
(I have to wonder if whatever that does takes a lot longer to drain / clear the PMU than Apple thinks.)
9. Stick the battery in.
10. Connect the power.

Peace.

No joy. :( I actually replaced "Have a cup of coffee" with "Have lunch". I'm hoping (praying) that I can convince Apple that it's the nVidia problem, since I'm out of warranty.

stupersonal
Mar 5, 2010, 04:53 AM
Hi All,

(look for @@@@, to skip the guff and head to the solution)

I'm posting today as I have managed to recover my macbook pro 15" 2.2Ghz unit through the inspiration this thread has given me. I had basically given up until I read through this thread yesterday and thanks to you guys I now have a mac sitting behind me furiously being backed-up. My solution is slightly different to what I have read in the rest of these posts hence why I am posting.

Okay, firstly some background.

My unit has not displayed any kind of problems until two weeks ago. Its running Mac OS 10.6.2 having had no issues with previous versions.

Friday 27th Nov, I set my machine shutting down. Now it took longer than usual, so I decided to shut the lid and finish the shutdown when I got home. I never bothered to do so when I got home. That sunday, I decided to play a DVD on the mac and got it out of the bag. The front power light was on glowing on and off. I pressed power on the unit and basically the original posters symptoms occurred. ****, I thought, as I mulled over the idea that leaving the laptop in the bag semi shutdown had probably cooked it.

So I ran through some basic trouble shooting, removed ram and the battery. Attempted the PMU / SMC reset, no beans, nothing.

Went back into work and had to explain that my laptop is dead, rued not getting applecare. That week I went into Mac Store MK and saw a "genius", who did the basic trouble shooting. The one point I will make now is why did he not tell me about all of the above? It does seem quite a common issue, anyhow he checked for the nVidia issue, that turned up negative and then basically left me with a diagnosis that the logic board was dead and that it was a £700 fix. I decided to decline. I don't know where they pull these repair prices from.

Anyhow, I basically accepted that the unit was dead and decided to move on, and thus I have been using a Windows laptop for the past two weeks!!

Yesterday I decided to give the unit one last chance, I hit the internet to do some research and then found this thread! It gave me hope and some conviction that the unit was not dead, just 'sleeping'. I tried all of the above, holding down power buttons on boot, etc and it did nothing to fix the problem, so I left the unit to recharge the battery over night in the hope that it might turn on the next day with a full charge. This morning came round and I turned on the unit, nothing, same blank stare.

@@@@

So what I decided to do was leave the unit turned on (in the funky sleep state), screen open, only connected to the battery. I left it like this until the battery had drained fully and the unit had turned off. I then reconnected my PSU, pressed power and the Mac booted! I have not restarted yet, but at least I have got my work off of the machine now.

Hopefully posting this will help someone else, loosing £1000 in the space of the weekend can be gutting, especially over something fixable. You do have to wonder why Apple has not fixed this via firmware updates, oh well.

Good luck and take care,

Jeff.

Worked for me :):):)
Had to let the battery drain before it worked.

Stu

joshalee
Mar 5, 2010, 05:43 PM
I have been having the same issue with the resetting, blank screen, no chime, sleep light is on and I hear the HD spinning. I am curious if my issue is the video card or not. I have the 2nd gen MBP from 2006. I did upgrade to two megs of ram and bought a cosair one meg ram. I have an appt on Monday morning and backed up everything. They mentioned before to reinstall m OS. Is it worth investing the $300 on fixing the unit?

buthidae
Mar 5, 2010, 11:32 PM
This is now happening on one of our MBP's at work! :(

Going to try and get it covered under the extended nVidia warranty :)

simonshek
Mar 6, 2010, 03:45 AM
I am having a MBP 1,1 2.16GHz, 2Gb ram with snow leopard installed and boot camp is not installed.
I was watching video clip in quick time x but it crash when it was switching to full screen. Beach ball of death shown up and was spinning. I did a hard shutdown. Next morning it won't boot into OS X and stuck blue screen, then it gave me a broken gray screen.

I have tried:
1) reset pram - nothing happen
2) reset PSU - nothing happen
3) boot up from ext. usb hd - nothing happen
4) boot up from snow leopard install cd - nothing happen but i can get into safe mode
5) it did can boot up from the restore disc that came from mpb. i did the restore. After the restore, mbp still keeps crashing

ksavai
Jul 6, 2010, 01:49 AM
I read whole thread and it is not updated since one year.
I have exact same problem and from above description I found out there are 3 methods everyone tried and got success.

Method 1:- Rechecking RAM (removing and placing)
Method 2:- Drain whole battery and try
Method 3:- wait for 18-20 min and try

I tried all these method atleast twice and nothing seem to work :( (method 3 actually worked once but not this time)

With so many people got stuck this way anyone got any other ideas or what they did for long term?

Thanks in advance

nttranbao
Aug 31, 2010, 11:18 PM
Hi,

I also have a MBP which can boot, but the screen is blank, even if external monitor plugged in and screen mirroring is turned on.

However, using another mac, I can use Screen Sharing (SS) to remotely connect to my MBP, and work normally.

So there is something wrong with the VGA card/ Monitor I thought. And when System Profiler is opened (still via SS), the VGA is ill-reported as "Intel GMA3100", although infact is NVIDIA Geforce 8600M GT model!!!!!

After a while, I found out the reason why. Check my response on this thread for more info: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12189549�

Quick info: it is because of faulty Geforce chipset on MBP, as quoted:

"In July 2008, NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, NVIDIA assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected. If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty."

So guys, if you are on same boat with me, contact Apple asap for FREE fix/replacement.

Good luck,
Bao

jeanga
Sep 7, 2010, 04:59 AM
Hi there,

I seem to have a similar problem to the ones experienced by you guys, so I booked my appointment at the Genius bar and pray that my MBP is experiencing the NVIDIA issue talked about...

I won't be able to see anyone for another week though and I've got a lot of critical data on that laptop...

Bao, how did you manage to connect to your MBP using screen sharing, I don't know if our issues are similar, but I'd like to try this as I kinda need to reach that data...

Otherwise, doesn any of you guys know how I could simply access the data on the MBP?
I've got access to another MBP, so can easily try to connect via SS, and I've been trying to connect to the hard drive via firewire but without success so far...

I would really appreciate your help

THANKS MILLIONS,
This thread has been tremendous help already...

JeanGa

coreyb
Sep 21, 2010, 12:20 PM
I've been having the same issue with my 2006 15" macbook pro 2.33ghz intel duo core w/ stock 2gb ram.

Basically i cannot shut it down or restart it if i need to use it in the following 24 hours. So any osx update that requires a restart i cannot run. It's becoming a huge issue but i'm almost getting use to it at this point - it's probably happened 5 times in the last week. When i press the power button i see the power light come on and stay steady and i hear the hard drive spin but i never hear the chime and the display never turns on. Is this 100% a logic board issue? If so how much is it to replace the logic board? If i do replace it and spend the $300 or so will i be ok for a few more years or should i just replace it now? Or maybe fix the logic board and sell it on craigslist with full disclosure and then buy a new one?

darion
Oct 13, 2010, 05:37 AM

I have exact the same problem on my MacBook Pro, a 2.4Ghz Penryn on Santarosa chipset. Got refused to get the warranty from a Vietnam ASP because they couldn't run the test procedure on my Mac cuz it don't boot. Mine last for 1.5 years without any stressful works, just office, Internet, some Popcap games and video. I've heard about this famous problem on Santarosa MBPs and didn't even play any 3D games on this Mac

But still there are lights. I found some posts on the net talking about keep the MBP power on to heating itself up and eventually it will boot. Tried that and keep hitting the power button every 2-3 minute for about 20-30min, the white screen with Apple logo appeared and the Mac boot up again. Hey Steve, is it a miracle or what? =))

I checked the System Profiler and still can see my GPU reported as NVIDIA 8600GT, it still works but PCIe lane width only 1x instead of 16x, WIERD!!. I successfully updated my Mac to 10.6.4, restarted a few times with the same procedure I mentioned above to make the Mac boot.

If there are alot of people suffering this problem, why Apple still don't want to have a look at it and do something?

Full link: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/MacBookPro_video_failure.html#warmup

mafalduki
Oct 20, 2010, 06:10 AM
same problem.
tried everything suggested in this forum. No luck.
Apple sets a €75 for diagnosis and if its the logic board €600.
My question is, if this is a common problem, as it seems, how are they not acknowledging it and compensate for it? I mean, €675 is a lot of money for a machine that is only 2 years 3 months old.

Outrageous.

buthidae
Oct 20, 2010, 11:19 PM
I don't know if "common" is really fair though. There's only, what, 15-odd reports in this thread? Things happen, sadly. :(

mafalduki
Oct 22, 2010, 07:21 AM
well, there are other forums where this issue is approached. if it happens to a number of computers, then something is wrong.
I managed to reboot mine, did permissions repair, disk, etc., but when I shut down it went back to the same problem.
I took all the RAM out again, etc. and I'm crossing my fingers I can reboot again, but what am I supposed to do then? keep the computer always on?
I also got rid of the plist mentioned in a post in this thread. I am sorry if this question is already answered, but I would appreciate if someone could give me advice on how to sort out the problem if I manage to reboot again. Many thanks.

machut
Oct 29, 2010, 11:48 AM
I tried those steps but nothing happens,after pressing and releasing the keys with the power button,the magsafe change color from red to green and still my macbook pro does not boot.

What can i do next? TIA.

machut
Oct 29, 2010, 11:52 AM
I tried those steps but nothing happens,after pressing and releasing the keys with the power button,the magsafe change color from red to green and still my macbook pro does not boot.

What can i do next? TIA.

BTW my Macbook pro is 1 month old Macbookpro 15inch i7.

bazookafx3
Nov 30, 2010, 03:54 AM
Spork138.... I could kiss you right now.

I've been up since 11pm trying to get this to work (it's 5am now) and I had tried EVERYTHING, who knew it was a simple ram seating problem? Funny because I had just ordered new ram today. I used the screw driver trick and squealed like a little girl when it finally booted.

If I ever meet you in real life, I'm going to buy you a beer man.

facemobile
Nov 30, 2010, 03:15 PM
First off I'm a mac admin. I have over 200 of these things. At this point I would never buy another mac ever again. The sales rep called a few day's ago and asked me how it's going? I told him and he said yeah that pretty much the popular consensus. He then asked if the school was ready to make another purchase. I was reading this thread and someone said their MBP was only 18 months old and died but they were going to buy another one. Who is that stupid? If I bought anything, car, tv, computer and it only lasted 18 months, someone in support would want to quit the moment they got my phone call. All macs suck because the company has to make you buy another one. Several years ago Bill Gates invested $25 million into apple just to keep them alive. Now in order to stay alive they have to make these machines with a shorter lifespan. If you and I only bought macs once every 5 or 7 years, they would go out of business in 2. Find a better solution people or quit complaining about your macs.

aHao
Dec 2, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hi guys,
I have the same problem of the threadstarter with my macbook pro.

I put closed it and left it on (as I usually do when I go to bed), woke up and realised it doesn't wake up again. I hard reboot it again, but it never boots. I only get the HD running and a dim light of the power (not bright, not pulsating when closed lid). I don't get any chime or anything on my screen

SYMPTONS:
- dim power light when powered on
- HD spinning
- no chime sound
- no image, no start up screen

I tried everything suggested in this forum, draining the battery doesn't work, swapping ram doesn't work etc...

I eventually sent it to the macstore and they're going to replace the logic board for €650, which is a lot. I'm not going to repair it. Can I somehow convince them that it's probably the nVidia card causing the problem?
They are aware of the problem, but they said if it was the gfx card, then I would get past the chime and start screen and that i would still hear sound.
I bet the gfx card overheated and might damaged other components on the logic board. If this is the case, than they should compensate for this right?

I'm really disappointed in mac. I had this machine for 2 1/2 years, I spent a fortune on this machine and I hate the face that I'm probably going to buy a new mac just because I'm used to it now.

arogge
Dec 2, 2010, 01:39 PM
I press the power button to turn it on and I get the cd drive 'engage'-ing sound and the sleep light comes on dimly but the screen stays dark and there is no mac sound or anything.
-BlackFrog

That sounds like what killed my Mac tower. :mad:

puttputt
Dec 2, 2010, 01:57 PM
You can try the heat gun method. I did:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1057293
:)

aHao
Dec 3, 2010, 05:10 AM
You can try the heat gun method. I did:
:)

Great I'm going to try that!

THe apple store won't recognize my problem as the nVIdia problem. They have to do a test, but they say they can't run the test because my macbook won't boot properly. What if the gpu overheating caused damage to other components?

almostinsane
Dec 4, 2010, 06:46 PM
I had the same problem. The logic board needed to be replaced.

aHao
Dec 5, 2010, 04:37 PM
I called Apple and they said that my gfx card may be the problem, but it isn't the same problem as the infamous nvidia claim.

So no extended warranty, even though the components failed when they shouldn't...

It's really outragous , expesive machines like these should last longer than 2 years.

I'm not going to let them replace the logic board and gonna try every diy method possible to revive it.

Thereis
Dec 5, 2010, 08:56 PM
I had exactly the same problem with my macbook pro.
Brought in 2007 it has been my workhorse lap top and has never before let me down.
Yesterday put it in sleep mode, came back to start it up and lo and behold the black screen of death. It wouldn't boot up despite all of the suggested fixes above.
Battery out, power cable disattached and power button pressed for 30 seconds - no result.
command ctrl power - no result.
power, command p - r - no result.
Left it to drain - restarted from power cable - no result.
Spent most of the night trying and trying again to get it booted up.

Was absolutely mortified since there was no warning this happened just out of the blue.
Found this forum and tried everything and thanks to all of those who posted the advice.

Luckily i managed to get an appointment at a genius bar at one of the apple shops (currently visiting california) today.

I mentioned that i understood that there were a batch of faulty Nvidia cards at the time i brought my lap top (thanks for the tip on the forum).

The guy checked my serial number, did a few tests and said they would repair it for free (900 dollars otherwise). They replaced the entire logic board within 4 hours and i got my lap top back on the same day. They intially said their turn around was 1-3 days, i asked for a special failure and they rushed the repair through.

Lap top now fixed within 24 hours and i have been very impressed with the service from Apple in resolving this issue 3 years after i brought the lap top and with no apple after care or existing warranty.

Hope this helps.

aHao
Dec 7, 2010, 07:03 AM
Brought in 2007 it has been my workhorse lap top and has never before let me down.
Yesterday put it in sleep mode, came back to start it up and lo and behold the black screen of death. It wouldn't boot up despite all of the suggested fixes above.
Battery out, power cable disattached and power button pressed for 30 seconds - no result.

Was absolutely mortified since there was no warning this happened just out of the blue.
Found this forum and tried everything and thanks to all of those who posted the advice.

Luckily i managed to get an appointment at a genius bar at one of the apple shops (currently visiting california) today.

I mentioned that i understood that there were a batch of faulty Nvidia cards at the time i brought my lap top (thanks for the tip on the forum).

The guy checked my serial number, did a few tests and said they would repair it for free (900 dollars otherwise). They replaced the entire logic board within 4 hours and i got my lap top back on the same day. They intially said their turn around was 1-3 days, i asked for a special failure and they rushed the repair through.

Lap top now fixed within 24 hours and i have been very impressed with the service from Apple in resolving this issue 3 years after i brought the lap top and with no apple after care or existing warranty.

Hope this helps.

What were the symptons? Was your keyboard responsive and have sound, just no image?

Thereis
Dec 8, 2010, 12:52 PM
The symptoms were that the MBP wouldn't boot up.
From the power off position, if i pressed the on button, there was a gentle whirring sound for a few seconds but nothing else. keyboard unresponsive and a black screen. Dim sleep light which brightened when the screen was folded down.
Much the same a previously reported comments which made me think it was the NVIDIA card.
The only response i had to all of the things above was when i did the command P-R sequence after the power on. That gave me a start up chime and some functionality to the keys but to no meaningful effect (caps lock could be activated on and off).

aHao
Dec 9, 2010, 11:10 AM
The symptoms were that the MBP wouldn't boot up.
From the power off position, if i pressed the on button, there was a gentle whirring sound for a few seconds but nothing else. keyboard unresponsive and a black screen. Dim sleep light which brightened when the screen was folded down.
Much the same a previously reported comments which made me think it was the NVIDIA card.
The only response i had to all of the things above was when i did the command P-R sequence after the power on. That gave me a start up chime and some functionality to the keys but to no meaningful effect (caps lock could be activated on and off).

My laptop has risen from the dead!!!!

I had exactly the same symptons. I tried to revive it myself at first but it didn't work. I took it to the service center and they told me that "the logic board and the gfx card is fried". To repair it it would cost me 650 euro.

I didn't want to pay that much so I just figure to buy a new macbook. Though I kept trying to boot the broken macbook. I kept swapping out ram, switching ram, battery out/in but with no avail.

BUT! Today, I came home, and I turned it on, it booted like normal (well a bit longer as usual). I mean wtf?! The service center told me it's fried, ... did they even look at it???

Right now I'm making backups from my HD and tonight I'll do some test if I can boot again after I shut it down.

My point is, the logic board isn't broken, even if apple tells you it is. They just want you to make a expensive repair.

My advice to people with the same problem is perseverence: Keep clearing the PMU and swapping ram.

iEatfood
Jan 30, 2011, 10:51 AM
It's been a long time since I last posted here.

I'd like to add my name to the list here, I've got a late 2006 MBP that powers up, but doesn't do anything but rev the drives and light up the power light. It's not actually mine, it was just given to me to try to fix.

Tried reseating the RAM
Reset SMU several times, with long breaks between
Can't reset PRAM or boot to safe mode, Keyboard does not start
Inserted and force-ejected CD
Fully charged and discharged battery

So, yeah, nothing's working for me. It's really embarrassing that ATI didn't step up and take responsibility for an identical issue to the one nVidia Macbooks were affected by. I know it's an old computer, I've just grown to expect Macs to have impressive longevity, and things like this disappoint me. I'm taking it in to the Apple store today, I'm going to have them make use of actual testing to determine if it's a faulty logic board or just bad RAM or corrupt SMU.

iEatfood
Jan 30, 2011, 03:13 PM
Update: Took it to the Apple store, turns out it couldn't get past PRAM because I was using a 60W charger. If anyone else still has this problem, be aware that it can be caused by a faulty charger or an inadequate one.

Good to know that the initial assessment of "Give us $300 for a new logic board" wasn't quite accurate :)

Clynn09
Feb 17, 2011, 01:48 PM
So somehow my father dented the bottom left corner of my macbook Pro (on the back of the screen that has the apple symbol) in June 2010 but it didnt seem to affect it at all. Near the end of this past December it started to not boot when i turned it on. When I turn it on everything starts to spin up and the screen comes on but it stays grayish-white and after a minute or so there is this question mark folder that startes flashing on the screen.

I took it to the Apple store here at my school and they replaced the hard drive and everything and when i got it back it worked for like a day then started doing the same thing. So i decided to take it back to the actual store that i bought it from and they said that the dent on the back of the sreen, along with corrotion was what was keeping it from booting and that they cant cover it under Apple Care. I cant remember what they said was messed up but they said it was going to cost me almost as much as a new computer to even fix it.

Im not a computer wiz and forgive me if Im wrong here but I thought that all of the important hardware and stuff that made the computer work was under the keyboard. I just dont see how a dent in the back of the screen is keeping it from booting. I mean the screen lights up and everything else. I just dont get it cause the dent was there for like 6 months too and it didnt stop working until now.

RocketLove
Apr 4, 2011, 03:28 PM
So I've been having the same issue the past couple of days. This morning the computer was turned off all night, I went to turn it on, there was a dim light that was on and it sounded as if everything was turning on right except the screen.

I'll have to do some of the following suggestions, hopefully one of those work, since I really don't want to pay over a grand to fix it.

One silly question, I'm a bit computer illiterate and I can't find out what PSU is or what it means. I keep seeing it for the suggestions and can't find out exactly what it is.

arogge
Apr 4, 2011, 06:07 PM
One silly question, I'm a bit computer illiterate and I can't find out what PSU is or what it means.

That is silly. PSU means Penn State! Or, you could try something like Power Supply Unit. :D

bogrigore
Apr 10, 2011, 11:04 AM
First of all SCRATT is both a genius and my hero :))
Secondly I tried his method with no impact whatsoever. Then, I ran out of coffee and cigarettes and tried to power up my macbook with no ram inside. I got nothing but a blinking light instead of the dimmed light of death. Then i put the ram back in and.... MAGIC! I am so happy I am actually posting on a forum.

SO SCRATT UPDATED

1. Get rid of the PSU.
6. Have a cup of coffee.
6a. POWER HER UP WITH NO RAM
6b. Have another cigarette.
9. Stick the battery in.
10. Connect the power.

Hope that helps some people anyway
Yes It does!

Seriously guys don't give up on your machine so easily.. ;)

I actually frequent other places on the web but joined today simply to add some feedback to this thread. It was very helpful to me.

I had the exact symptoms that many of you describe above.
My Core Duo 17" MBP is definitely a "Friday" machine.

USB has always been flakey on it, the LCD has a vertical line that comes and goes, and well, it's always been poorly. This particular machine is the only Mac I have ever used in the field for work in environments that are dirty and hot, and has more than paid for itself, so I put it's quirks down to it's relatively hard life compared to my other more cosseted Macs.

In a nut shell I was running Parallels, had gone to lunch, came back and the screen had gone to sleep. Which is strange as I don't actually have it set to go to sleep.

I use synergy to share a mouse and keyboard between this Mac and my almost 10 year old original 17" PB, which is still going strong as a home server. I tried to SSH in, and all the usual stuff but my machine was well and truly in the land of nod.

I ended up finding the exact same symptoms as everyone here.

Screen blank.
Lid light on full when lid closed.
Lid light dim when lip open.
No chime. DVD clicks. Won't boot at all.

I tried all the tricks I know.

In the end I was trying many different combinations of holding the power button down with no battery in, no mains attached etc.

Tried to boot with no battery.

And so on.. I spent a good 25 - 30 minutes doing that and reading horror stories on the web..

About a month ago I picked up a new Unibody 17" simply because I knew this machine was on the way out... So I was very happy that I had done that, but still sad to see a dead MBP sitting next to a brand new 17" and an original 17" from yester-year both screaming along happily.. The build quality on those first G4 17" PBs is something Apple should take a real long hard look at, and try to get back to.

I also have a lot of work from the last two days on the HD in this machine and did not fancy ripping it apart to re-house the HD.

So I persevered.

1. Get rid of the PSU.
6. Have a cup of coffee.
9. Stick the battery in.
10. Connect the power.

Peace.

neenja
Apr 17, 2011, 12:51 AM
i have an exact similar problem. early 2008 15" macbook pro. was working perfectly fine at work. when i was off, i put the comp to sleep by closing the lid (as i usually do) and packed up my things. got home, tried to boot up and this situation happened. i hear the fans, hear the dvd drive.. but nothing. i see the dim light when lid is opened and brighter when closed.

ive tried everything. removing ram, holding power, pmu, literally every single method here that people said has worked, I have tried. my last hope is to let the laptop sit while "on" and just let the battery completely die.. then try to plug in the psu and power up again.

if tomorrow.. i wake up with the battery dead.. plug it in and it still does this.. im gonna test my luck by walking into an apple store. i printed out the nvidia symptom post that apple made on their support page to bring in.

sigh.. go figure.. i literally said to myself that I would make a backup via superduper tomorrow (sunday). its been several months since my last backup.

any further help would greatly be appreciated.. thanks guys.

neenja
Apr 17, 2011, 12:35 PM
tried to let the mbp run itself out of battery life last night. plugged it in this morning and no luck.

i have an appointment with apple at 1215 today. hope something can be fixed. i printed out the apple support article about the nvidia cards.. hopehopehope they can do something.

worst case scenario, if the harddrive is fried.. would replacing it bring the laptop back to life?

neenja
Apr 18, 2011, 12:13 AM
i created another thread about my problem here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12411683#post12411683). just wanted to follow up about how my visit went at apple.

i took it into apple and the geniusbar guy ran some diagnostic tests along with the nvidia diag test. determinded that the mbp powers up but doesnt boot and no video shows (exactly what was happening).

he filled out an order form for a new logicboard and got his manager to override it so the $600 charge was waived! :)

they had to order a new one since non was in stock.. so ill be gettin my mbp back roughly around wed-thurs. i of course had to sign a waiver form stating i would be ok if i were to lose data. im keeping my fingers crossed that the hd is still alive and that only the logicboard was fried.

but all in all, im just glad ill still have a working mbp. apple rocks :)

neenja
Apr 20, 2011, 12:53 PM
just wanted to update this thread and let everyone know how awesome Apple support is.

Picked up my mbp 3 days later and it was back up and running. Logicboard was replaced for free. :)

grassynoel
May 24, 2011, 08:00 AM
Same result here! MBP (purchased jan '08) wouldn't boot - same symptoms as OP (no chime, no KB, etc). I tried all the tricks posted here but no joy. Thereis' result inspired me to make Genius appt.

Now, I'm pretty sure this is NOT the NVIDIA isuue, because the thing never boots far enough -

Genius said she couldn't run the NVIDIA diagnostic because it wouldn't even boot enough to load it - BUT, they would replace the mobo for free!! (otherwise $900!!!!)

Don't have it back yet (left it there yesterday AM) but she said the board was in stock and possibly done by today.

Hope this helps.

simeybinker
Jun 20, 2011, 04:03 PM
This thread needs to be stickied or something...

symptoms:
when power button pressed for start up, disk drive would grumble/grind... but no chime, no grey screen - just stayed black with the fans whirring quietly. the sleep light would be half-lit.

diagnosis:
various pressing of the power button
reset the SMC (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964), no success
reset the PRAM (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379), no success
removed battery and tried boot up, no success
removed 2GB Cosair RAM chip and left 1GB no-name RAM chip in, no success
removed 1GB RAM chip, and left 2GB RAM chip in.... FULL SUCCESS!!

if I didn't have success, I would have gone onto more drastic methods like:

but all is well.

later today I'm going to put the 1GB chip back in to confirm that was the issue.

Sim

section45
Jul 11, 2011, 08:58 AM
I had a plaid apple and then the sequence (spinning wheel) wouldn't complete.

reset pram, held down the power button with power cord and battery out.
Then took out ram.

I swapped positions of the two chips. In my case, 2 2meg chips.
Held down the power button again for 10 seconds

Put power cord back.. and all was fixed.

The computer needs the ram to boot.. and perhaps, they got unseated from the proper place just enough not to work. Or just the act of taking them out and putting them back in fixed it.

I have 15" macbook pro with duo core intel - old body style. with 10.6 running.

I knew it had to be software or hardware related. I ran the disc utility and it found no problems. I could boot in Safe mode (shift key) and also boot and T mode. I knew the drive was good since both of those worked to boot. So.. the problem had to be ram or OS.

Good luck

lbaumgardner1
Jul 11, 2011, 10:32 PM
Experienced the exact symptoms discussed so many times in this thread yesterday. I knew my battery was wearing out, so assumed it was that when it went to "sleep" and wouldn't wake up. After leaving it to charge overnight, I was dismayed to find that it still would not wake up. So, I looked up the symptoms and ended up here.

I tried EVERYTHING discussed (except adjusting the RAM...never done anything to the RAM so figured I should leave it well enough alone) with no success. Thought I saw something about letting the battery run all the way down, so left the little light burning and went about doing other things.

I talked to Apple about the nVidia issue—they confirmed (via serial number) that my machine does indeed have the possibly defective card. BUT said that it would not cause a logic board failure so likely my logic board failure was caused by something else. The guy said my symptoms certainly sounded like a logic board failure. So, super bummed to hear it but figured I'd haul myself to get it tested (I don't live in a market close to an Apple store) and hope that the folks at the store tell me otherwise.

Fast forward to 9:30 tonight. I got out the laptop and it was indeed all the way dead (light had gone out). I plugged in my charger and held down the power button until *aha* it made a sort of terrible alert noise—BUT THEN IT CHIMED! Successful startup and I'm using it right now to make this post.

From what I can tell, it was indeed my battery. By running it all the way down, it calibrated the battery (something I've never done before, but Apple suggests you do every month or so apparently). Once I got it up and running again, I checked my battery health in system profiler (again, something I'd never done before) and discovered that I'm lucky it's been working up to now. So I'm taking no risks and doing several things:

1) ordering a new battery
2) taking my mbp into an authorized apple location and having them check the nvidia card (since now i'm aware of the potential problems and i know it may be defective I'll get it fixed and avoid any future problems)
3) set my settings to NOT GO TO SLEEP (and keep it plugged into the wall) until I have the new battery installed (sounded like a few people on here has some trouble later on if they let it sleep) and the new graphics card

btw, it doesn't appear that any of my attempts at resetting PRAM or SMU earlier in the day had any effect as all settings are exactly as I left them.

Hope this helps someone else out there with a similar problem...and I hope I wake up tomorrow and it's all still working fine!

iMalum
Jul 26, 2011, 01:47 PM
Hey guys,

I first stumbled on this post last night after my Early 2008 MacBook Pro (2.4GHz) began exhibiting the same problems (to those who remained on topic).

The symptoms/problems I experienced:

-was working fine. Put to sleep, and never woke up.
-upon power up, you could hear disc.
-no boot, black screen, no chime.
-no power to USB, tried all the resets (i.e. PRAM).
-no keyboard functionality; no cap-lock light.
-the Mac would still get warm.
-sleep light was weak when open; strong light when closed.

I saw the reply about the Nvidia issue, but then got nervous since my keyboard/USB ports weren't functioning —how could that be related to the GPU? However, then I came across an article by Mobile Magazine, where they confined that the Nvidia issue could cause the GPU to overheat, which would then melt some of the metal onto the Logic Board —thus causing the Logic Board to malfunction/fry.

I was very nervous when going into the Genius Bar. Some people said there were no problems, more people said they wouldn't replace the Logic Board because it wasn't related.

So, today --about 12 hours after the problem started-- I was at the Genius Bar, and told the Genius about the problem I was having. After my explanation, he said "I think I know what's going on here." So I said, "the Nvidia issue?" He said, "Yep. I see it all the time." He didn't even run any tests. He said he just knew based on my explanation (what I listed above). He said he was putting in an order to have the Logic Board replaced. On the order form it says, "replace MLB [Logic Board] for Nvidia issue." He said everything was covered under the Nvidia issue policy --all repairs were free of charge. It going to take about 5 days to get repaired, but wow, what a relief.

I got the feeling that the Logic Board is now officially incorporated into the Nvidia issue policy.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I hope my post gives some of you a little relief.

bowsfixer
Sep 17, 2011, 09:34 PM
After reading all this thread and playing around for a whole day with my broken MBP, the light in front seems to stay on light not very intense, not booting after the optical disk sound problem.

I seem to be able to pin point the problem as being a damaged memory RAM SLOTS not the RAM itself but the slot. I am able to boot my MBP by putting only one RAM module in the lower slot, as soon as I put another module in the upper one the problem comes back (half lit light in front where you open the screen). It may be just a problem related to the contacts or either the solder have melted around one of the pins so the current is not passing anymore. Looking very closely at the small pins some were a bit loose... So to my best knowledge this is the problem. but how to replace a broken slot?

I personally can live with the only 1GB running MBP. I have the A1150 model back from 2006 running on 10.6. But still wondering how I can fix this by changing the memory slots altogether. Can I buy and replace that piece?

blklotus
Oct 2, 2011, 02:38 PM
So after reading through most of this forum post, and doing a little research I was able to get my macbook pro to reboot. If you are experiencing the following symptoms this should get you back up and running.

To start with: You were using your macbook and the machine locked up unexpectedly. You did not use a keyboard shortcut to to power down, you simply pushed and held the power button.

Upon trying to restart your machine did the following:
-Latch light came on, dim. If you close the lid, light gets brighter
-When you power on, you can hear the DVD drive clicking and loading
-Black screen, no picture
-No system startup tone
-No keyboard functions/lights
-USB ports have no response

If the above symptoms match what your machine is doing, then here is what happened. (Note, this is what I speculate is happening)
The machines ram or Pram has locked up causing the machine to freeze on startup. This is caused when the machine was unexpectedly powered down and the system did not have a chance to save its configuration.

In order to get your machine working again you will need a fresh stick of ram, that has NOT been used in your macbook before.

How to fix it.

1. Pull out the battery
2. Pull out the ram
3. Get a fresh 1gb stick of ram and install it into the lower slot
4. Power on your machine using only the power cord, leave the battery out
5. At this point you should hear the startup tone and your machine should go to a gray screen. If this does not happen, repeat steps 1 through 4, swapping the fresh ram stick into the upper and lower slot. This can take a lot of tries, mainly because we're trying to get the ram and pram to wipe their memories and force a cold boot. (I assume anyways)
6. If you get the gray screen, power down the machine with the power button and restart it again. The second you restart the machine push and hold "Option" "Command" "P" and "r" all at the same time.
7. Hold all four buttons down until the machine reboots, when it reboots the startup tone will sound at full volume. Release the keys.
8. You should be back in business.

The only additional step I took before I found this process to be effective was I pulled the machine apart and disconnected the cmos battery for 20 minutes. I can't say for certain this aided in the recovery, but in the event you try the above 4 steps and cannot get to the grey screen you might have to pull the cmos battery to fully wipe the machines pram.

Quhp
Oct 2, 2011, 06:26 PM
I recently had this problem with my early 2008 model. My mbp had all the symptoms that have been described for the last 4 years of this thread. And like everyone else- I tried everything. I was completely bummed because I can't afford any repair right now. But, it was indeed the faulty nvidia chip and my mbp is being repaired for no fee. Went to the genuis bar, they didn't even have the hardware to test for the faulty chip but dude said he's just goin to assume it's the chip and we signed the papers. No problem.

So, just wanted to tack onto this thread which I read in its entirety and say that everything came out okay.

ateeling
Nov 2, 2011, 09:30 PM
This thread has gone on for ages, but had I found it on Google it might have saved me some time.

3 days ago I was pushed the Mac OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard Update. I reset the computer and in would not boot... No chime, no video (black screen).. just the fan operating.

I was able to restore function using the Snow Leopard DVD ('c' on start-up). I ran the verify disk utility and there were no problems noted.

3 days later I had a similar problem. This time no chime, no video and the DVD boot did nothing. Looking at the 'sleep' light, it was at about half intensity (compared to the upper and lower span) with occasional changes .. as if the processor was hung up. DVD drive would spin and there were sound of the drive heads moving. Fan could be heard operating at the lowest setting.

Apparently the keyboard backlighting, sleep light, and charge light are functions of the SMC and at times need to be reset.

What I have done:
1) I have reset the PRAM (to the second start up chime) - fail
2) reset the SMC (remove battery and press power for 5 seconds) - fail
3) Attempted to restart using Verbose mode ('v') and DVD Boot ('c') - fail
4) Reset PRAM again (only to the first chime, finger slipped off button) - sort of worked
5) With the DVD ejected, restart computer normally.

The screen came up to the grey start up screen with apple logo.. the desktop came up as normal.

My AppleCare is over, $49 for phone support, the tech directed me to three articles in the apple/support site (TS2377). Although he really couldn't help me without me forking over the cash, we did agree that it was most likely NOT a hard drive (thus a software update) problem if the computer would not start from the DVD. The screen without video and chime seem to indicate a hardware issue.

From the looks of things many of us have had problems with this and there seems to be two flavors of problem, Fried GPU and misfiring RAM sticks.

I didn't remove or replace the RAM, I did do two PRAM resets, one after clearing the SMC. This may or may not have been the fix; it what I remember.

So....

It is probable I will have this problem again. I wanted to set this post up for the next time so I can better document what I observe.

neenja
Nov 3, 2011, 03:22 AM
take it in, pretty sure your logic board is dead. i had the same issues and same mbp. took it in and got it replaced for free.