Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
So i just set up my computer and everything keeps on freezing. iphoto system perefernces, everything.... what should i do... i don't feel like returning this computer after i got it set up..

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
Dont Hurt Me said:
I would reinstall the OS and then if its doing the same call Apple. You havent added any 3rd party ram have you?
nope...grr i don't feel like do this now... i have a test to study for tomorrow and my new computer is sucking right now
Do you think one of my files is corrupt when i transfered everything using the migration assistant

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
puckhead193 said:
nope...grr i don't feel like do this now... i have a test to study for tomorrow and my new computer is sucking right now
Do you think one of my files is corrupt when i transfered everything using the migration assistant

very likely...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
puckhead193 said:

DOA - Call Apple and get a new one.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
iGary said:
DOA - Call Apple and get a new one.
way to spoil my fun iGary! i guess i will call up tomorrow...or should i go down to the apple store...?
they better ship it over night cause i'm not waiting another 2 weeks:eek:

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
puckhead193 said:
way to spoil my fun iGary! i guess i will call up tomorrow...or should i go down to the apple store...?
they better ship it over night cause i'm not waiting another 2 weeks:eek:

Was it BTO? If not I'd take it to the Apple Store so you can swap it.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
iGary said:
Was it BTO? If not I'd take it to the Apple Store so you can swap it.
yea it was BTO, it was fully loaded except for the wireless keyboard and that thing they call a mighty mouse ;)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
not that it matters but when the screen saver pop on i notice a line going from the bottom to the top going across...(like scrolling up) anyone experience this? it looks like this POS is going back :mad: :mad: :mad:

edit now the line goes from top to bottom...something is definitely wrong with this computer. Does anyone know if you send it back DOA they ship it overnight?

edit something else that's happening is my buddy list on adium drops out then pops back on yet i'm still connected...

Zigster

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2004
Funny I was just testing them out at the SF Apple store and it looked like there was a lot of kernel spazzing. I thought it was just because they were abused by all the visitors...

Darn and I was thinking about getting one soon.:confused:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
puckhead193 said:
i restarted it and now everything seems to work... :confused:
should i still rant
I would :eek:

Also keep backups of new data, and keep an eye on your system for future problems--whether it's some PPC-only add-on from your old Mac, or an actual hardware problem.

As for shipping, if worst comes to worst I would call Apple and tell them what you want to resolve the situation. Even if it's beyond their usual terms, they still might do as you ask.

Good luck!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
i plan on calling tomorrow, i'm sorta busy, and having them note i'm having problems with it. I'll see what they say/advise and i'll bring it to apple on thursday to have it check out before i install everything else.
On a side note, you think my PB will be fine. Nothing was add, just transfered to the iMac.
i can't think about it any more; i'm off to bed now cause i have a test tomorrow, wish me luck! lol

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
Day 2

Well i'm using my iMac and its not freezing anymore. It seems to be ok, the only thing i notice is that scrolling line in the screen saver is their.
What should i tell apple when i call, its not happening so i can't go down to the genius bar and show him its freezing all the time....

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
You can tell them it happens "sometimes." They'll probably just advise reinstalling and the usual, unless the problem is more consistent. Hopefully you won't have a problem again!

What do you mean by scrolling line?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
nagromme said:
You can tell them it happens "sometimes." They'll probably just advise reinstalling and the usual, unless the problem is more consistent. Hopefully you won't have a problem again!

What do you mean by scrolling line?
when i run my screen saver (flurry) theirs a scrolling line (horizontal) that goes from top to bottom or bottom to top...
i don't know if that's how the screen saver is or something is wrong (I never noticed it on my PB)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
puckhead193 said:
when i run my screen saver (flurry) theirs a scrolling line (horizontal) that goes from top to bottom or bottom to top...
i don't know if that's how the screen saver is or something is wrong (I never noticed it on my PB)

Try a different screen saver and see if the line still shows up. If there's something wrong with the video it will.If it doesn't show up it's more than likely the screen saver.Do you have any haxies installed? APE ?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
Peace said:
Try a different screen saver and see if the line still shows up. If there's something wrong with the video it will.If it doesn't show up it's more than likely the screen saver.Do you have any haxies installed? APE ?
huh? its completely stock, i haven't done anything yet, i only downloaded adium.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
i called up apple and they had me repair permissions and the disk. Also they told me to reinstall OS X..do you think this will work...

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
puckhead193 said:
i called up apple and they had me repair permissions and the disk. Also they told me to reinstall OS X..do you think this will work...
Yes, we have heard of this type of thing before. I think it may have something to do with how they install the OS on the hard drives at the factory. Reinstall the OS if any sign of a problem is still there call Apple.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
Dont Hurt Me said:
Yes, we have heard of this type of thing before. I think it may have something to do with how they install the OS on the hard drives at the factory. Reinstall the OS if any sign of a problem is still there call Apple.
i hope your right
i forgot to un-select the languages.. o well

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
personally, i NEVER do a migration....

there's always an issue at some point....Always do a fresh install on a new machine....especially from PPC to Intel.

i know it SHOULD be ok, but 99/100 there is something to go wrong..

i hope your new mac is ok..

defo reinstall osx with single language, update all softwares and repair permissions and reboot.

if your mac is still a bit dodgy after that, you have a DOA.

good luck:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.