PDA

View Full Version : Apple Cinema Display on a PC

paulmac123
Apr 5, 2003, 05:45 PM
Has anyone ever heard of someone being able to use an Apple Cinema Display with a PC? Has anyone done it themselves? If so, how? Thanks!

ibookin'
Apr 5, 2003, 05:55 PM
If the PC has a DVI pot, then it is easy to use the Cinema. Simply buy Apples ADC to DVI converter for $100.

If the PC only has VGA, then it is more complicated. I believe there is a converter availible, but it costs around $400.

paulmac123
Apr 5, 2003, 05:56 PM
Thanks!

edesignuk
Apr 5, 2003, 05:57 PM
For every adapter you could possibly want - DrBott (http://www.drbott.com/)

iJon
Apr 5, 2003, 08:12 PM
windows looks pretty screwy sometimes on a widescreen cinema display. the windows machine doesnt reconize the natize rez like os x so things get stretched.

iJon

paulmac123
Apr 5, 2003, 09:18 PM
Is it that bad? Does it happen on all machines?

Chucky
Apr 5, 2003, 09:28 PM
I have a 17" Apple Display for my PC and it looks great at 1280x1024. I use Ati Radeon 7500 w/dvi for this setup.

Note, When you first install windows though and the the video driver is not yet installed you get 3 screens w/ many horizontal lines going across this is solved by changing the screen to 1280x1024 (native resolution for 17")

ijon i have a question for you, I read that you are using the 20" widescreen, what videoboard are you using for it? And what do you mean by stretched? Can you set the resolution to its native 1680x1050? Because i would like to buy the 20" display but i dont want a stretched look. THanx

paulmac123
Apr 5, 2003, 09:50 PM
What would you run the 23" at?

Chucky
Apr 5, 2003, 09:57 PM
well for the 23" its more straight forward.
I has settings for 1920x1200 which is more of a standard display setting for the pc (if your video board supports it).

NavyIntel007
Apr 5, 2003, 10:56 PM
Quit faking and buy a mac... poser!

paulmac123
Apr 5, 2003, 10:58 PM
Oh, I have a Mac...many. This is just for a customer of mine. She loves the Apple Cinema Displays but wants a PC for her geneology programs that don't run on the Mac.

Chucky
Apr 6, 2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007

Whats wrong with you man? I also use a mac, but that doesnt mean I cant use a pc as well. I find postives and negatives for both systems. Besides, do uou derive your identity by a pc or a mac? Its a machine that is useful for its functions. Geesh.:)

The Shadow
Apr 6, 2003, 12:46 AM
This is like putting a Mona Lisa on a moustache.

Very disturbing. We're talking about a crime against the Mac community. :)

I also need to run Windows apps, such as RoboHelp. My predictable advice: Get virtual PC!

I've set it up so I can actually access the net while running it and remote access my employer's (a financial institution) network. It's a bit slow though on my PM 533. But it works. AND I have the satisfaction of knowing I do not have a PC in my home! Yuk, filth!:)

Chucky
Apr 6, 2003, 01:01 AM
You mean a moustache on the Mona Lisa. I think she shaved right before Leanardo DiVinci did her portrait (he was not good at painting moustaches).:) But seriously I want the best of both worlds (I love the quality of my apple display and it looks great) But when it gets down to it i have to take several extra steps to perform the same functions on a mac like getting a VPC to run Kazaa (please dont tell me about Limewire it sucks). Or using EasyGPRS program for my cell phone which does not come w/ Mac version. But im willing to take those extra steps just because i am tired of using PC sometimes.

iJon
Apr 6, 2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by The Shadow
This is like putting a Mona Lisa on a moustache.

Very disturbing. We're talking about a crime against the Mac community. :)

I also need to run Windows apps, such as RoboHelp. My predictable advice: Get virtual PC!

I've set it up so I can actually access the net while running it and remote access my employer's (a financial institution) network. It's a bit slow though on my PM 533. But it works. AND I have the satisfaction of knowing I do not have a PC in my home! Yuk, filth!:)
disturbing, please. virtual pc sucks, not even worth the money. pcs are good for many things. macs arent the best for everything. they may be good for a lot of things but not everything. i plan on putting a cinema display on my pc just because there is no ghosting and looks great with battlefield. its a monitor, who cares what you put it on.

iJon

The Shadow
Apr 6, 2003, 01:36 AM
Thanks iJon, my comments stand out much better in bold!:)

paulmac123
Apr 6, 2003, 01:45 PM
Oh geez, I didn't mean to start a Mac/PC debate. Bottom line is, anyone with an open mind can see that each system out there has its benefits. I have a mixture of many things between Linux, Windows, Mac's, and more. They each have their own perks. Thank you everyone for your help on the Apple Cinema Displays.

Chucky
Apr 22, 2003, 09:54 AM
I want to buy a 20' Apple display for my pc but i was wondering if "1680 by 1050 pixels (optimum resolution)" can be properly displayed without looking stretched?
Thanx

Opeth
Apr 22, 2003, 05:40 PM
Just so everyone knows, heres my experience with a ACD on a PC.
Last week I bought the 23" Cinema Display(woohoo) to connect to my dually Xeon box with the Apple ADC to DVI adapter. If there was a lot of black or say the whole screen was black, it looked terrible. It wasn't very black, and there were little white pixels and sub-pixels everywhere, I'm talkin' hundreds. So I took it back to CompUSA and we hooked it up to a Mac and black looked black, and no white pixels everywhere. My video card was a Radeon 8500. I say "was" because today I finally got my PowerMac dual 867 (my first Apple computer:D ).

Anyway, just so people know, there could be issues. As to the power button, it was basically useless: turn on the computer, the monitor came on; turn off the computer, the monitor turned off. The button didn't actually do anything other than pulse when pushed.

Oliver

iJon
Apr 22, 2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Chucky
I want to buy a 20' Apple display for my pc but i was wondering if "1680 by 1050 pixels (optimum resolution)" can be properly displayed without looking stretched?
Thanx
windows xp it looked just fine at full screen, games looked great too. fonts look like trash though.

iJon

SasyBabe
Apr 22, 2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by iJon
disturbing, please. virtual pc sucks, not even worth the money. pcs are good for many things. macs arent the best for everything. they may be good for a lot of things but not everything. i plan on putting a cinema display on my pc just because there is no ghosting and looks great with battlefield. its a monitor, who cares what you put it on.

iJon

I just bought a Dell computer about 1year ago and i'm getting a 17" powerbook anytime now (its a graduation present), and i'm not going to throw my PC out cause i'm getting a Mac.

And i TOO was thinking of buying an apple display and getting rid of my PC one.

SasyBabe
Apr 22, 2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by paulmac123
Oh geez, I didn't mean to start a Mac/PC debate. Bottom line is, anyone with an open mind can see that each system out there has its benefits. I have a mixture of many things between Linux, Windows, Mac's, and more. They each have their own perks. Thank you everyone for your help on the Apple Cinema Displays.

I totally agree! :)

iDork
Apr 23, 2003, 11:32 PM
I believe you can set the widescreen resolution in Windows XP with the help of a program called PowerStrip.

People on MacNN have done it with their 20" Cinema and PC with no complaints in terms of display quality with the exception of not being able to adjust the brightness and switching it off.

Chucky
Apr 24, 2003, 10:08 AM
thanx for the infos
I'll try it out when I get the 20' Apple display (my 17' is going to feel lonely soon)
Chucky:)

iDork
Apr 24, 2003, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know the response times on the Cinema 20"? I plan on purchasing it for my XP machine to play some First Person Shooters (Quake3, Unreal 2003) and hope it runs smoothly without any lag?

Thanks

iJon
Apr 24, 2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by iDork
Does anyone know the response times on the Cinema 20"? I plan on purchasing it for my XP machine to play some First Person Shooters (Quake3, Unreal 2003) and hope it runs smoothly without any lag?

Thanks
well i played battlefield 1942 on the 20 inch cinema and it was beautiful. there was no lag all, truly a great monitor, even to fast paced games.

iJon

iDork
Apr 24, 2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by iJon
well i played battlefield 1942 on the 20 inch cinema and it was beautiful. there was no lag all, truly a great monitor, even to fast paced games.

iJon

Great, thanks for the info! Please update us if you've tried other fast paced FPS games too.

Thanks again

O_MatriX
Oct 20, 2003, 05:21 PM
I am curious about one thing. As i understood it can be quite simple to connect a 20 " apple cinema to a PC, specially if U have Win XP and as long as U have some Graphic card with a DVI plug kind of AIT RADEON and a DVI to ADC adapter right.

U can even correct the stretch aspect with an application so called PowerStrip, however there is still one issue: The Brightness Control !! Can U change it on a PC with Microsoft XP??

iDork
Oct 20, 2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by O_MatriX
I am curious about one thing. As i understood it can be quite simple to connect a 20 " apple cinema to a PC, specially if U have Win XP and as long as U have some Graphic card with a DVI plug kind of AIT RADEON and a DVI to ADC adapter right.

U can even correct the stretch aspect with an application so called PowerStrip, however there is still one issue: The Brightness Control !! Can U change it on a PC with Microsoft XP??

You cannot change the brightness on a PC however you can adjust the brightness in the software driver.

O_MatriX
Oct 21, 2003, 02:55 AM
I mean, does it have the same effect as if U would change it on MAC? I sure hope so.

So, by telling me this U are saying that I can buy a 20" apple cinema no problem for my pc. Right?

One more thing: Is there Any available Graphic Card for a PC which supports 16:10 format or 1680x1050 (optimal cinfiguration)

Thanks

O_MatriX
Oct 22, 2003, 07:50 AM
can anybody help me on the previous post?

Sabbath
Oct 22, 2003, 08:33 AM
I use my 20" on my PC no probs, running off a GF4 ti4200 using the Apple DVI to ADC adapter. All you have to do with this card is set up powerstrip once and youre good to go.

On the topic of PC cards that support the display without powerstrip, I have heard that ATI 9700 and 9800 do but you cant see the boot sequence on these unless you hold your finger on the power button.

Langwij
Oct 22, 2003, 08:44 AM
well for the 23" its more straight forward.
I has settings for 1920x1200 which is more of a standard display setting for the pc (if your video board supports it).

i have recently bought a 23" display and want to hook it up to my pc. I have an old vga graphics card so i'm going to upgrade it.

the problem is that i can't find a graphics card that will support the 1900 x 1200 resoluiton."DVI digital signals using the Single Link standard (typical for most
graphics cards) can be transmitted up to a maximum resolution of
1920x1080 at 60 Hz (or 1280x1024 at 85 Hz), as specified by the Digital
Display Working Group. All graphics cards are identically limited by
this standard. Higher resolutions may be obtained on the analog channel,
either through a VGA connector or through the analog pins of a DVI-I
connector.

Any monitor that claims higher digital resolutions is either relying on
Dual Link DVI (not generally available on current graphics cards) or a
converted analog signal."now i can find cards with Dual DVI ports but im told by 3D labs that Dual DVI ports is not the same as having Dual Link DVI.

so has anyone been able to get a 23" screen running on a pc at it's native resolution? and if so what card are you using?

cheers for any advice

Soggy
Nov 29, 2003, 01:40 PM
Ok...

Bought the 23" and the DVI converter. Hooked it up to my pc (Dell Dimension XPS with Radeon 9800XT). Powered on, changed the settings to 1900x1200... and it worked fine. Beautiful! Yes, I do see some of the white pixels everyone talks about, but I don't mind so much. Watched a couple videos in full screen mode. All looks great and then.. black...

Screen goes black. I closed windows media player with the key board, and it came back up. Played another video, and it worked for about 20 seconds then went black again. Same thing over and over. Now, I power on the pc... the screen comes on long enought for me to login to XP, and then it goes black. The only way to get it back on is to unplug the dvi and plug it back in, or reboot. It is almost as if the screen is 'sleeping'

Please anyone know what it is doing?

Thanks,
Roger

Soggy
Dec 1, 2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Soggy
Ok...

Bought the 23" and the DVI converter. Hooked it up to my pc (Dell Dimension XPS with Radeon 9800XT). Powered on, changed the settings to 1900x1200............

The DVI to ADC adapter was overheating. Took it back and got another. Works fine now.

Wonderful monitor! It is absolutely beautiful! You don't need the power button or brightness control. My power settings turn the monitor off after 5 minutes of inactivity. I can change the brightness with the settings on my video card. Apple should really push these to pc users. They could potentially sell more of these than imacs....

Oh.. and glue a little XP logo over the Apple logo and it looks even better!

Imola Ed
Jan 12, 2004, 01:31 PM
This is good news. I have been wanting to hook up a 23" to my PC so I can play UT2003 like that (it plays like crap on my Mac). I have a 17" now and it's nice, but 23" can only be better. Well, unless refresh sucks. We'll see I guess.

iJon
Jan 12, 2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Imola Ed
This is good news. I have been wanting to hook up a 23" to my PC so I can play UT2003 like that (it plays like crap on my Mac). I have a 17" now and it's nice, but 23" can only be better. Well, unless refresh sucks. We'll see I guess.
on my 20" with battlefield i saw no ghosting what so ever, it was very nice.

iJon

Langwij
Jan 12, 2004, 03:22 PM
i bought an ATI 9700 pro and a formac converter and my 23" works like a dream. just set itself straight up at the native resolution of 1900 x 1200

Imola Ed
Jan 12, 2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Langwij
i bought an ATI 9700 pro and a formac converter and my 23" works like a dream. just set itself straight up at the native resolution of 1900 x 1200

Cool, cause I have a 9800 pro :D

Grimmy27
Jan 23, 2004, 04:24 PM
Hi guys,

I received my apple cinema display 23" today.
I plugged it to my PC using the DVI to ADC adapter.

Everything ran fine except that I got image only after boot was totally completed and that I was in Windows.

I tried to play with PowerStrip (for nothing because the resolution I wanted was already natively supported by XP) and manage to have my pc/card/apple screen not accepting anything else than 1920-1200 ! I suppose other resolutions where set with to high refresh frequencies...
I then managed to get my system back to normal thanks to XP system guard (saving each system modification and allowing you to get back to it).

Ok, now here is the purpose of my post (!):
Is that normal that I get image on my apple screen only when entering Windows ??? I mean, no boot screen, no bios settings, no CMD in fullscreen, ... what the hell ???

If someone can tell me if it is normal or if it is because of a bad parameter of my video card or something else, he would be very helpfull !!
Thanks,

Langwij
Jan 23, 2004, 05:06 PM
before posting here i read a few things about people not seeing any boot screen and i think it depends upon the card your using.

i don't want to put you off here but i did read something somewhere (and this is probably not true at all but i do remember being a little put off myself) that the screens can totally stopped working in these scenerios.

i can't remember when i read this, but i did a hell of a lot of searching on google for 'cinema display windows' etc....

after saying all that they definately weren't using a radeon 9700 pro. these always seem to be the best recommended card to power the screen. the original ATI card also seemed to be preferred.

Sabbath
Jan 24, 2004, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Grimmy27
Hi guys,

I received my apple cinema display 23" today.
I plugged it to my PC using the ADC.

Everything ran fine except that I got image only after boot was totally completed and that I was in Windows.

I tried to play with PowerStrip (for nothing because the resolution I wanted was already natively supported by XP) and manage to have my pc/card/apple screen not accepting anything else than 1920-1200 ! I suppose other resolutions where set with to high refresh frequencies...
I then managed to get my system back to normal thanks to XP system guard (saving each system modification and allowing you to get back to it).

Ok, now here is the purpose of my post (!):
Is that normal that I get image on my apple screen only when entering Windows ??? I mean, no boot screen, no bios settings, no CMD in fullscreen, ... what the hell ???

If someone can tell me if it is normal or if it is because of a bad parameter of my video card or something else, he would be very helpfull !!
Thanks,

I think is this a normal problem with Radeons with the ACD on a PC, it doesnt decide to switch on until booted into windows. Apparently you can get round this by holding your finger on the power button (on the display) and it should show you the boot screen.

You shouldnt need powerstrip as 1900x1200 is a supported resolution on most video cards, you tend to only need powerstrip for Nvidea cards running a 20" ACD.

hope this helps

Grimmy27
Jan 24, 2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Sabbath
I think is this a normal problem with Radeons with the ACD on a PC, it doesnt decide to switch on until booted into windows. Apparently you can get round this by holding your finger on the power button (on the display) and it should show you the boot screen.

You shouldnt need powerstrip as 1900x1200 is a supported resolution on most video cards, you tend to only need powerstrip for Nvidea cards running a 20" ACD.

hope this helps

Hi,

Thanks for the help !
I tried to hold the display power button but it did not work.

Now I must precise 2 things:
- When the PC is booting or when I use a CMD in fullscreen, the screen is not like "shutdown", it is more like it is receiving a signal but can not handle it. So the screen is more like "very dark grey" than black.
- The power button seem to not operat at all (it becomes lighter/darker but no display effect).

If you can help me or give me some url where to seek ... it would be again very kind.

Thanks again,

jimbo0270
Jan 24, 2004, 08:43 AM
I have a 23" Cinema Display, and have used it on my PC. The only issue that I have had is that it does not suport low resolutions. Boot screens are usually 640 x 480 and some games default settings are really low too. When a resolution goes this low the monitor goes black. On a boot screen it will come back when windows boots. I however could not go into the bios to change any settings. On a game that lowers the res by default I could not get out of the game without rebooting. So I would have to plug in another monitor and reset the default res of the game and then it would play fine.
So, unless you have another monitor and don't mind switching them back and forth every one in awhile, I would not recommend spending the money on a Cinema for a PC, personally.

Langwij
Jan 24, 2004, 11:13 AM
I think is this a normal problem with Radeons with the ACD on a PC, it doesnt decide to switch on until booted into windows. Apparently you can get round this by holding your finger on the power button (on the display) and it should show you the boot screen. i have a ATI radeon 9700 pro and it works perfect, boot screen and all.

i would recommend this monitor as its cheaper than the same screen packaged by sony, and i bought it for design work and wanted the highest resolution and as much desktop space as possible. the screen has provided this.

Grimmy27
Jan 24, 2004, 11:21 AM
i have a ATI radeon 9700 pro and it works perfect, boot screen and all.

i would recommend this monitor as its cheaper than the same screen packaged by sony, and i bought it for design work and wanted the highest resolution and as much desktop space as possible. the screen has provided this.

Hi,

Glad to hear that this "can" work at least.
Do you own an ATI card build by ATI or, like me, by another constructor (Powercolor, Saphire, ...) ?

Langwij
Jan 24, 2004, 11:29 AM
mine is ATI built

Grimmy27
Jan 24, 2004, 05:26 PM
mine is ATI built

Langwij,

I can not manage to get it working.
I have tried to update my video card bios and also my motherboard bios but nothing seems to work :(

Could-you describe your PC system because it seems that not only the video card can play a role but also the chipset ...

And, if I give you a flash utility, could you read your bios video card and give it to me ?

Thanks for the help,

Kiwi-Todd
Jan 24, 2004, 05:56 PM
Why?

You just can't polish a turd!

Grimmy27
Jan 26, 2004, 05:34 PM
Langwij,

I can not manage to get it working.
I have tried to update my video card bios and also my motherboard bios but nothing seems to work :(

Could-you describe your PC system because it seems that not only the video card can play a role but also the chipset ...

And, if I give you a flash utility, could you read your bios video card and give it to me ?

Thanks for the help,

Anyone having a Cinema Display working on a Radeon 9700 pro on a PC, including POST, BIOS and DOS fullscreen session ?

I need an hand quick, because if I can not manage to make it work, I'll give the screen back :(

Thanks for help

Langwij
Jan 27, 2004, 05:38 AM
i have a ASUS TUSL2-C socket 370 Intel 815EP chipset

i happy to read the bios of my card if you tell me how.

Grimmy27
Jan 27, 2004, 05:51 AM
i have a ASUS TUSL2-C socket 370 Intel 815EP chipset

i happy to read the bios of my card if you tell me how.

Glad to hear from you again.

Here is the how-to:

Step One
----------
Insert a blank, formatted Floppy into your floppy drive. Open My Computer and right click your A:\ drive. Select Format. In the control window, under the parameters section, select "Create an MS-DOS Boot Disk." Click start, or begin, or whatever it is.

Step Two
----------
Get ATiFlash from http://www.3dchipset.com/files/bios/ati/flash/atiflash.zip.

Step Three
----------
Put the aforementioned flashing utility onto your prepared floppy. Copy atiflash.exe AND DOS4GW.exe to the floppy.

Step Four
----------
Keep the floppy in your A:\ drive, and restart. Windows will not boot; the system will boot from the disk. When the A:\> prompt comes up, type

Atiflash -s 0 ORIGINAL.bin

This command creates a copy of your current BIOS puts it onto the floppy disk. Dont worry, this cannot screw up anything, it's neither 'taking' nor 'cut and pasting' your video card's BIOS and putting it onto the floppy, just copying . When the process is finished, take out the floppy and reboot into Windows.

Step Five
----------
Send me the file ORIGINAL.bin at grimmy27 @ chez.com (without spaces)

Thank you very much !

Grimmy27
Jan 27, 2004, 06:45 AM
Glad to hear from you again.

Here is the how-to:

Step One
----------
Insert a blank, formatted Floppy into your floppy drive. Open My Computer and right click your A:\ drive. Select Format. In the control window, under the parameters section, select "Create an MS-DOS Boot Disk." Click start, or begin, or whatever it is.

Step Two
----------
Get ATiFlash from http://www.3dchipset.com/files/bios/ati/flash/atiflash.zip.

Step Three
----------
Put the aforementioned flashing utility onto your prepared floppy. Copy atiflash.exe AND DOS4GW.exe to the floppy.

Step Four
----------
Keep the floppy in your A:\ drive, and restart. Windows will not boot; the system will boot from the disk. When the A:\> prompt comes up, type

Atiflash -s 0 ORIGINAL.bin

This command creates a copy of your current BIOS puts it onto the floppy disk. Dont worry, this cannot screw up anything, it's neither 'taking' nor 'cut and pasting' your video card's BIOS and putting it onto the floppy, just copying . When the process is finished, take out the floppy and reboot into Windows.

Step Five
----------
Send me the file ORIGINAL.bin

Thank you very much !

If you do not have a floppy disk, you can do the operation with Ati WinFlash (http://release.narod.ru/ati/winflash1_17.zip).
Extract the zip, then launch winflash.exe.
Click Save button and save the file under the name ORIGINAL.bin and send it to me.

Grimmy27
Feb 1, 2004, 03:50 PM
Hi everybody,

Langwij send to me his radeon 9700pro bios and IT IS NOW WORKING 100% !! :) :) :D

I was a little bit afraid with this bios because radedit was telling me "checksum error" when loading this bios. Nevertheless, radedit seems to load some informations from that file so...
I finally decided to try to flash my radeon 9700pro bios with Langwij bios (normally, atiflash does make a check of the bios validity) and everything is working perfectly now (post, bios, windows loading, cmd in fullscreen)!!

For the moment, the only difference I was able to see in that bios, with radedit, is that the TV standard is set to NTSC instead of PAL (I'm leaving in France where PAL is the standard).
I will check out others differences ant let you all know.

If someone wants Langwij bios, I can send it to him, if Langwij agree of course.

Thanks to everybody but very specially to Langwij for being so kind and helpfull !!!

Langwij
Feb 1, 2004, 07:36 PM
course i'm happy for you to send it. either that or peeps can PM me with their email and i will send it.

Engagebot
Feb 2, 2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Chucky
(please dont tell me about Limewire it sucks

TRUST ME ON THIS ONE:

get Poisoned . it connects to all the filesharing networks at once. i too am a part time pc user, and ive totally forgotten about kazaa with Poisoned. It even connects to the FastTrack network that kazaa/morpheus runs on, plus gnutella and all that other stuff at the same time.

what else could you ask for but an aqua/brushed metal kazaa + integration with iTunes!

www.poisonedproject.com

(their site isnt up at the moment, but it was up as of last night...)

tfs
Feb 8, 2004, 10:42 AM

i can't remember when i read this, but i did a hell of a lot of searching on google for 'cinema display windows' etc....

after saying all that they definately weren't using a radeon 9700 pro. these always seem to be the best recommended card to power the screen. the original ATI card also seemed to be preferred.

Same here, I did much research on the Net for the best PC graphic card to run 23" ACD. And I yet to find one that give a max DVI resolution of 1920 X 1200.

Have you came across anyone using the Radeon 9700pro (All-In-Wonder) without problem for the 23"ACD?

Thanks for sharing!

firmwaregod
Feb 22, 2004, 08:40 PM
So, has anyone plugged the ACD into a USB sniffer and broken down the protocols for how the device describes itself, and how things like brightness/contrast are controlled from the Mac? or how the sleep button is reported?

If the ACD declares itself as a USB HID device, it shouldn't be too big a trick to whip up a VB or .NET helper app to handle the details...

FG.

Renderz
Feb 28, 2004, 07:44 AM
Hi everybody,

Langwij send to me his radeon 9700pro bios and IT IS NOW WORKING 100% !! :) :) :D

Just to confirm, I asked for the Bios from Langwij. I thought about it for a few minutes then thought s*d it and went for it.

I shut all running applications down then went for it with the windows ATI Flash utility. It then prompted for a reset, i did so and Hurrah! I can seen Boot, Bios and XP loading screen!

Thanks to Langwij for all his help.

Terry
Renderz (http://www.renderz.com)

tfs
Feb 28, 2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Renderz
Just to confirm, I asked for the Bios from Langwij. I thought about it for a few minutes then thought s*d it and went for it.

I shut all running applications down then went for it with the windows ATI Flash utility. It then prompted for a reset, i did so and Hurrah! I can seen Boot, Bios and XP loading screen!

Thanks to Langwij for all his help.

Terry
Renderz (http://www.renderz.com)

Hi Terry,

May I know what is the brand of your card? Any more details of it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
TFS

Langwij
Feb 28, 2004, 01:39 PM
i think wre all using 9700 pro's, mine is an ATI product, but it seems that other makes of this card work once flashed with the new bios.Same here, I did much research on the Net for the best PC graphic card to run 23" ACD. And I yet to find one that give a max DVI resolution of 1920 X 1200.my card automatically set the resolution to 1920 x 1200, i didn't have to do anything

tfs
Feb 29, 2004, 08:38 PM
i think wre all using 9700 pro's, mine is an ATI product, but it seems that other makes of this card work once flashed with the new bios.my card automatically set the resolution to 1920 x 1200, i didn't have to do anything

I read from some other forums that most people using Nvidia card are able to see the post screen. Any successful member from this Forum? I can't use 9700 because my barebone only has 220W PSU and 9700 required at least 300W PSU. Any comment?

superbovine
Mar 1, 2004, 01:06 AM

the apple is displays are really LG monitors with an apple case. so who is the poser?

Langwij
Mar 1, 2004, 04:03 PM
for anyone else who wants this bios the file is here (http://www.langwij.co.uk/ATI9700ProBios.zip).

obviously you use it at your own risk!

Built2prfctn
Jun 14, 2004, 07:34 PM
I jsut orderd my 20' apple display and the adapter i really hope it works
and everything is jsut as good as a regular monitor can some one please re a sure me casue im ****in ****ting bricks here

Langwij
Jun 15, 2004, 05:34 AM
im sure it'll be fine as long as you have a decent graphics card

jaw04005
Jun 16, 2004, 08:37 AM
windows looks pretty screwy sometimes on a widescreen cinema display. the windows machine doesnt reconize the natize rez like os x so things get stretched.

iJon

Its not windows, its the video card drivers. ATI's from 9800 and up all support the native resolution of the 20" display. I even believe ATI released a new set of drivers that allow the older 9700 to support it also.

I used it all the time, never have a problem. Although if your playing games, most games don't support the native resolution.