Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hello,

I have bootcamp/xp pro installed on my macbook pro. I apparently have to free up about 3 gigs of data so that i can install a heavy program.

questions:

-is it possible to delete 3 gigs of date from anywhere on an xp pro install and still have it function alright?

-if i have to repartition my drive, which is the easiest way? i would love to avoid having to reinstall everything?! i do use super duper... can super duper take care of the xp partition as well?

thanks!
r.

andrew050703

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Portsmouth, U.K
whyrichard said:
-is it possible to delete 3 gigs of date from anywhere on an xp pro install and still have it function alright?
r.

since windows is that bad - you'd probably not notice any difference :rolleyes:

seriously though, it looks like bootcamp can't extend the partition so unless you can find some third party software utility, you'll have to get out all those install disks again...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I didn't even think XP was 3GB in total. Nevertheless, I think it'll be a struggle to lose 3GB form the OS so maybe look through any multimedia files you have stored on that partition, where relevant. As for SuperDuper, I can't comment for sure but if the partition is NTFS then I can't imagine SuperDuper will work with it. I don't know this for sure though. :eek:

evangelion-01

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2006
go to the windows folder, you will see lots of folders with weird names and most of the time they are blue they are something like %&3742384238947234, i really dont remember... those are updates (installers), you dont need them, just delete them.

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
Turn off hibernation support if it's active. (Control Panel|Display|Screen Saver|Power|Hibernate)

Reduce the swap file size. (Control Panel|System|Advanced|Performance|Advanced|Virutal Memory)

Turn off system restore. (Control Panel|System|System Restore)

Good luck.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
ewinemiller said:
Turn off hibernation support if it's active. (Control Panel|Display|Screen Saver|Power|Hibernate)

Reduce the swap file size. (Control Panel|System|Advanced|Performance|Advanced|Virutal Memory)

Turn off system restore. (Control Panel|System|System Restore)

Good luck.

now thats useful... more then 3 gigs out the window just with that!

thanks!

r.

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
If you would be willing to reinstall windows you could use a program called nlite to remove the rubbish from an iso of you windows xp cd I saved loads like that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.