Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Alias|Wavefront today announced Maya 5, the latest version of its Oscar award-winning 3D software. With the eighth release of its flagship software, the company delivers "a host of innovative new ways to create digital content along with numerous customer suggested productivity enhancements. Improvements added to both Maya Complete and Maya Unlimited software will energize artist and programmer workflows in such creative industries as game development, broadcast graphics, Web content creation, design visualization and film production." Further information and details on new features can be found in the press release. Maya Complete for Mac OS X, Windows, IRIX and Linux will be available in May for US$1,999. Maya Unlimited for Windows, IRIX and Linux will also ship in May for $6,999. Version upgrades for Maya Complete are priced at $899 and $1,249 for Maya Unlimited.

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.040603/230965024&ticker=SGI

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/news/home.shtml

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I just got my Maya Learning Maya Beginner's Guide DVD last week. I hope it's not obsolete already.

It's nice to see that there are companies for which innovation is life. :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
That's very cool - hopefully it will put pressure on Newtek to get its next version (V 8.0) of Lightwave out soon.

Someday I might use Maya, but Lightwave is what I have and even with a reduced price tag, its not worth it to buy yet.

D

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by etoiles
still no Maya Unlimited for OS X, though...:(

and there isnt any plans for it in the future.

Unlimited is only 15% os Alias|Wavefront's business. Maya has only been on OSX for a year now and so all the people that use it would have been using PC's before.

So until people start to switch from PC to mac AND show a need for Maya Unlimited on the mac Alias isn't going to put the resources into putting unlimited onto OSX.

afonso

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2002
San Francisco
good news :D

well, i think that because i actually bought a maya complete license a few months ago with the one year update package, i should be getting maya 5 for free :D

i love maya!

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Originally posted by teabgs
and there isnt any plans for it in the future.

Unlimited is only 15% os Alias|Wavefront's business. Maya has only been on OSX for a year now and so all the people that use it would have been using PC's before.

So until people start to switch from PC to mac AND show a need for Maya Unlimited on the mac Alias isn't going to put the resources into putting unlimited onto OSX.

It is actually a year and a half :D and I am sure there must be quite a few '3D on the mac' people out there who switched to Maya and did not use PC's before...wait, why am I saying this ? :confused:

Anyway, you (and A|W) have a good point about the 15%...probably not worth the effort at this point. I am not sure how much Fur, Cloth and fluid effects can be used in a real world production environment, but it is still a limiting factor when you have to invest in new hardware. 'Not that I would, but I could' kind of argument. But it also shows that A|W does not see the mac platform as a main contender, not now, not anytime in the near future. It is also a bad message for the 3rd pary software developers.

I am saying this because I am really frustrated at the moment: I need to get a new graphics workstation and not only is there NO comparison between PC's and macs when it comes to render and viewport performance, but the choice of software is also very limited on the mac...
I am doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by etoiles
It is actually a year and a half :D and I am sure there must be quite a few '3D on the mac' people out there who switched to Maya and did not use PC's before...wait, why am I saying this ? :confused:

Anyway, you (and A|W) have a good point about the 15%...probably not worth the effort at this point. I am not sure how much Fur, Cloth and fluid effects can be used in a real world production environment, but it is still a limiting factor when you have to invest in new hardware. 'Not that I would, but I could' kind of argument. But it also shows that A|W does not see the mac platform as a main contender, not now, not anytime in the near future. It is also a bad message for the 3rd pary software developers.

I am saying this because I am really frustrated at the moment: I need to get a new graphics workstation and not only is there NO comparison between PC's and macs when it comes to render and viewport performance, but the choice of software is also very limited on the mac...
I am doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed.

True, it's been a year and a half ;)

The fur, cloth, and fluids ARE VERY helpful in a production environment. There are also a lot of plugins, and scripts that dont run on mac (these are written by TD's). These people arent going to rewrite them for OSX, also, you can build a workstation for cheaper than buying a mac.

In addition, they've been using it on PC's for a while and people have that thing about changing over. Especially if you're in the middle of production, you are NOT going to be switching platforms. When a project is done then you can switch, but I wouldn't before.

Sadly, the OSX performance with Maya is not as good as it should be. It's great (better than PC's) at some tasks. But when it comes to rendering, dynamics, and of course, the unlimited features...we're lacking.

Which is the reason that I am going to be sadly building a PC this summer as long as the ca$h flow can handle it.....and now FCP 4 is going to need to be purchased, so there's a few hundred that wont be spent on the PC.

I dont like the idea, but I want to get stuff done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.