Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kzlambert

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
UK
Hey Guys, Is there a way to allocate an 'explicit tag' to songs you have uploaded from CD etc.. They only appear from purchased ITMS songs. Hope its not something simple I have over looked..:eek:

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Honestly curious...

...why would someone WANT to put an "explicit" tag on their songs? ;)

And while I'm thinking of it, is there a way to make a smart playlist of explicit music? :D

irregardless

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
all around you
From what I can tell, that attribute is defined by XML when the song/podcast is loaded into iTunes, either from an RSS feed or from the iTunes Store itself. My guess is that it's stored in the iTunes Library file (and mirrored in the iTunes Music Library.xml file).

This line is from the RSS feed for the Wordpress podcast:
<itunes:explicit>clean</itunes:explicit>

This line is from iTunes Music Library.xml file entry for that same Wordpress podcast:
<key>Clean</key><true/>

Since there is no way to edit the iTunes Library file outside of iTunes itself, there's no way to manually set a file as "explicit" or "clean."

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
irregardless said:
Since there is no way to edit the iTunes Library file outside of iTunes itself, there's no way to manually set a file as "explicit" or "clean."
There is most definitely a tag for this in the M4A/M4V file itself. I have tagged files with this attribute with Lostify.

EDIT: According to Atomic Parsley it's the rtng (Rating/Advisory) tag. http://atomicparsley.sourceforge.net/mpeg-4files.html

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.