Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
CNN link

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Beaming people in Star Trek fashion is still in the realms of science fiction but physicists in Denmark have teleported information from light to matter bringing quantum communication and computing closer to reality.

Until now scientists have teleported similar objects such as light or single atoms over short distances from one spot to another in a split second.

But Professor Eugene Polzik and his team at the Niels Bohr Institute at Copenhagen University in Denmark have made a breakthrough by using both light and matter.

"It is one step further because for the first time it involves teleportation between light and matter, two different objects. One is the carrier of information and the other one is the storage medium," Polzik explained in an interview on Wednesday.

The experiment involved for the first time a macroscopic atomic object containing thousands of billions of atoms. They also teleported the information a distance of half a meter but believe it can be extended further.

Crazy cool stuff.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Jaffa Cake said:
Great stuff. Just as long as a house-fly doesn't sneak into the chamber when they do the first live test we'll be alright.
or if Bill Gates snook in with the fly

that would be one ugly Fly:D

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I believe teleporting humans will be possible one day. It's the optimist in me. :)

But before we can master teleportation, we'll first need to master quantum mechanics, since we'll probably require quantum computers powerful enough to break-down our molecules and re-constitute them over long distances.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't want to have all the atoms that make up all the cells in my body teleported somewhere without an ability to put all my fracking atoms back together to form cells, and those cells to form me.

Otherwise, you're essentially turning me into a bag of sand ---- loose atoms that make up nothing coherent.

But think about how easy it would be to travel to Easter Island or something --- wherever you wish!

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
spicyapple said:
I believe teleporting humans will be possible one day. It's the optimist in me. :)

But before we can master teleportation, we'll first need to master quantum mechanics, since we'll probably require quantum computers powerful enough to break-down our molecules and re-constitute them over long distances.

Hopefully we will have time machines by then too. So if Bill Gates does sneak in we can go back and try again. :D

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
only problem about teleportation, it deletes the original copy. so if you were teleported form one side of the room to the other its not going to be you just a very good copy. but your deleted witch is a nice way to say your dead. this will be great for transport thou. have the latest mac beemed right to your transporter room a long with all your shopping. or for nasa to transport food and supplys to spacestations cheeply allowing us to make the solor system just that little easyer to conqure and fight over. lol The Scottish Empire of Mars and the Engish domain of Jupiter and the terrorest training death star of the moon.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Abstract said:
I don't want to have all the atoms that make up all the cells in my body teleported somewhere without an ability to put all my fracking atoms back together to form cells, and those cells to form me.

Otherwise, you're essentially turning me into a bag of sand ---- loose atoms that make up nothing coherent.

Check: Lawnmower Man....you know the scene

What you are referring to could not happen though, as the strong nuclear forces keep atoms and molecules from doing just that.

though without proper scientific testing who the hell knows!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Abstract said:

Well in my case, that might be an improvement. Sandsack on!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Oh, great. Just great.

The lines at the Apple Store in tax-free New Hampshire are long enough as it is. When people start teleporting in just to get a good deal on the new Quantum Macs, it'll just get worse.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I don't think we have much fly monsters to worry about anyway because by the time humans can teleport...most of us will be turning over in our graves. I'll leave the worrying to my great great grand kids.
But still cool though:)

Bless

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
jsw said:
When people start teleporting in just to get a good deal on the new Quantum Macs, it'll just get worse.

Oh jebus, I can just see the threads now..

"Intel came out with the Q2 10 minutes ago, why isn't the MBP being updated?!?"

NeoMac

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
spicyapple said:

These quantum computers will probably be runing Mac OS 10.10.5 Sabertooth ;)

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
yellow said:
Oh jebus, I can just see the threads now..

"Intel came out with the Q2 10 minutes ago, why isn't the MBP being updated?!?"

Dont forget the "MacBook Pro G7's Next tuesday!!!"

I dont see this to go very far, the second we start beaming solid objects around is when, UPS, USPS, FedEx etc.. go under, they will not allow that.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Spock said:
UPS, USPS, FedEx etc.. go under, they will not allow that.

<knock knock>

Who is it?

UPS Special Forces! Open the door! You will surrender items for shipping! You will do what Brown tells you to do!

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Interesting. Although, I don't see this working for anything living. Sure the matter would be transported but the life-form would be dead. Even if you don't believe in a spirit the electrical impulses, etc in the body would cease.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
QuarterSwede said:
Interesting. Although, I don't see this working for anything living. Sure the matter would be transported but the life-form would be dead. Even if you don't believe in a spirit the electrical impulses, etc in the body would cease.

What makes you think that? Just a gut feeling?

If this works the way it's supposed to, it would be an exact copy (even down to the electrical impulses) of whatever the original object was. As long as it doesn't take more than a fraction of a second to teleport, I would suspect a living thing to be just fine.

I'm curious as to whether or not they can record any of the information while in transit, or if quantum physics prevents that. Once you made one copy, could you make millions more for real cheap? ;)

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
elfin buddy said:
What makes you think that? Just a gut feeling?

If this works the way it's supposed to, it would be an exact copy (even down to the electrical impulses) of whatever the original object was. As long as it doesn't take more than a fraction of a second to teleport, I would suspect a living thing to be just fine.

I'm curious as to whether or not they can record any of the information while in transit, or if quantum physics prevents that. Once you made one copy, could you make millions more for real cheap? ;)
DISCLAIMER I'm an atheist, although I worship Descartes ;)

What happens during teleportation? Some atoms are moved from point A to point B in a defined timespan. An object X which, at a time T was at the point A, is translated to point B, at T+Delta

Let's assume all the atoms are located at the right place, all the quarks are where they should be, every spin is intact and the energy levels are unchanged between X@(T) and X@(T+Duration).

So, the question is, what happens during the Delta timespan? Are your atoms transmitted serially, 8 at a time, in other words, what is the bandwitdth of this thing?

If the bandwidth is not infinite, Delta will be > 0 then that means that between T and T+Delta, X will not be coherent, instead we will have parts of X at point A, and parts of X at point B.

The religious types will ask: Between T and T+Duration, where is your soul? What happens to it after T+Duration?

The pragmatic types will ask: If your atoms are moving at the speed of light, what will happen while your brain gets transported? Do you stop thinking? What happens to the thoughts you have during transportation? Are you still the same person?

Of course, the gamers will say that all the answers are already known, but they are a loony bunch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.