PDA

View Full Version : What does your logon screen look like?

DJ OJ
Oct 8, 2006, 03:14 PM
This is going to be mine (first thumbnail). I made it from a picture of an apple. :)

This is the picture I made it from (second thumbnail).

BTW, post yours!!!!!!

Shotglass
Oct 8, 2006, 03:16 PM
It's screen.

Josias
Oct 8, 2006, 03:18 PM
1. Resize.
2. What is login screen background?
3. Edit posts instead of double posting.

DJ OJ
Oct 8, 2006, 05:24 PM
What is login screen background?

When you are at the logon screen behind the actual place you log in it has the aqua blue wallpaper. You can change this, and this is what I am going to hopefully change mine to.

Temujin
Oct 8, 2006, 05:45 PM
As I rarely restart and is a pro when it comes to typing in my password, I find little use for changing my login screen.

daneoni
Oct 8, 2006, 08:05 PM
I assume you mean this, excuse the quality, there is no CS3 option without login in so i had to use my camera and this was at night. This is the most recent one.

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/7074/164967843b1fddb5550ojt7.jpg

cornerdealy
Oct 8, 2006, 08:48 PM
how exactly do you change your login wallpaper?

mattcube64
Oct 8, 2006, 09:10 PM
Yeah, how do you do this?

xPismo
Oct 8, 2006, 09:12 PM
I had no idea you could change the background.

Is this just replacing the sys file? Anyone know the location?

technicolor
Oct 8, 2006, 09:18 PM
how exactly do you change your login wallpaper?

http://www.tuaw.com/2005/08/09/change-the-login-window-background-in-mac-os-x/

http://keakaj.com/visagelogin.html

http://www.breakingrobots.net/blog/2004/08/10.html

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/hack-the-login-window/

DJ OJ
Oct 9, 2006, 05:53 PM
I have plenty of time. :). Here is how.

Changing the Screen behind the Login Window from Macworld

Behind the initial login screen, the background image is blue with some white arcs running through it in a semicircular pattern. It's very pretty -- the first 4,000 times you have to look at it. If you'd like to express your creativity by replacing this background with something groovier and more personal, you can use this technique:

1. Choose an image you'd like to use. Any JPEG or PDF file is fine.

2. From the root of your hard drive, open Library: Desktop Pictures. A list of the standard Apple desktop images appears. Aqua Blue.jpg is the file you want to replace. Drag it out of the folder to a safe place as a backup (or just re**** it).

3. Drag your own graphic into the Desktop Pictures folder. Re**** your file Aqua Blue.jpg. This sleight of hand allows the system to find it during the boot process.

4. Restart the machine, and your new image appears behind your login screen.

theorem7
Oct 10, 2006, 03:51 PM
Just a little tip, you can actually take a screenshot of the login screen using a delayed terminal command. From this (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2003031107163856#comments) thread over at MacOSXHints, you can see that typing:

sudo screen -m -d bash -c "sleep 120; screencapture /Users/username/Desktop/loginscreen.tiff"

...into the terminal and then typing in your password (as it requires sudo to run), will take a screenshot afer the allocated time (in the example, 120 seconds) and drop it on your desktop when you replace username with your account's short name. To get it to take a screenshot of the login screen, type the command in Terminal (Applications/Utilities), replacing username with your account's short name, and the number after sleep with the amount of seconds you think it will take after you enter in the command to get to the login screen, then hit return, type your password, and hit return again. Then, depending on the amount of time you gave it, log out, wait until you're sure the amount of time has passed, and then log back in. If all went well, you should have a screenshot of your login screen on your desktop! If you looked at the thread I referred to, the hint itself actually describes a method using SSH, but later on down in the comments someone described this method, which I find to be much easier.

As far as changing the actual background goes, I used the method that was previously described as that was the easiest, but I know that there is another way, as the Macs at our video lab have a custom background, and I checked in Library/Desktop Pictures, and the Aqua Blue.jpg there was the default one... Oh well, I couldn't find out how to do it without replacing Aqua Blue.jpg, I guess it's not really going to hurt anything.... Also, I know additional customizations can be added by modifying the loginwindow.nib file, or using a third-party program (such as Visage, which was linked to in a previous comment), but I like it just the way it is!

Oh yeah, my login screen's attached...

adom
Oct 10, 2006, 03:56 PM
Oh yeah, my login screen's attached...

How did u make the glossy reflection?

liketom
Oct 10, 2006, 03:59 PM
yep i need to know right now!!!:cool:

Aperture
Oct 10, 2006, 03:59 PM

I'm willing to bet he just made an image of the reflection in PS and then used that. Optical Illusion.;)

For Example:

adom
Oct 10, 2006, 04:08 PM
I'm willing to bet he just made an image of the reflection in PS and then used that. Optical Illusion.;)

For Example:

Well thats no good. What if you change your login avatar, or login name!...You'll need to change the picture too!

Booo, I thought it was technical wizardry! :rolleyes:

theorem7
Oct 10, 2006, 08:05 PM
Unfortunately, schaef2493 is correct... I just took a screenshot of the login screen and made a reflection of it in GIMP... I wish I could say I whipped up some gnarly script to create a live-update reflection image as it changes, but I didn't quite escalate it to that level. It might be possible, if I get a lot of spare time some day I'd like to look into making it have that functionality, but I can't think of any way to do that off the top of my head... I suppose you could use the same principle that I described in how to take a screenshot of the login screen, being that a terminal command can be executed even when no user is logged in, and have a prebuilt library of all the possible states that the login screen could be in and have it change the Aqua Blue.jpg file dynamically based on system events, but frankly, I don't quite know how one would go about doing that... And anyways, that wouldn't address the problem of changing user pictures... Oh well... If you want a description on how to make a reflection, I'd be happy to give it to you (it's probably not quite as exciting as a dynamically updating reflection, but I still think it looks pretty good!), or I'm sure there's plenty of tutorials around the Internet.

Sorry if I let you down...:rolleyes:

iTwitch
Oct 12, 2006, 01:04 AM
I had to try this. :confused: I followed the instructions posted by DJ OJ and wound up with a solid blue background. Next I tried reversing the process, still solid blue background. Any ideas?

Edit: I tried clearing the caches with Onyx, repairing premissions and finally Visage Login. Nothing.

cschreppel
Oct 13, 2006, 11:10 AM
Yeah, my jaw dropped when I saw the reflection. I'm sure there's a script somewhere that can do it without much difficulty...although, I'd have no idea how to do it :)

Josh
Oct 13, 2006, 11:20 AM
Yeah, my jaw dropped when I saw the reflection. I'm sure there's a script somewhere that can do it without much difficulty...although, I'd have no idea how to do it :)

I think it would be quite difficult.

The reflection would have to be updated whenever you clicked a button, began typing in your password, etc.

It would either have to be a real-time effect, or staticly update upon each action.

That's well beyond a simple image backdrop, and would require some major tinkering to say the least.

Mumford
Oct 13, 2006, 11:18 PM
I think it would be quite difficult.

The reflection would have to be updated whenever you clicked a button, began typing in your password, etc.

It would either have to be a real-time effect, or staticly update upon each action.

That's well beyond a simple image backdrop, and would require some major tinkering to say the least.

I think you may be talking about two different things. I agree it would be very difficult (if not impossible) for a real-time effect. But punching out an ImageMagick script to generate this login screen automatically for you when your login window changes (like if you add a user or you change your login icon) isn't too hard.

DJ OJ
Oct 14, 2006, 10:00 AM
I had to try this. :confused: I followed the instructions posted by DJ OJ and wound up with a solid blue background. Next I tried reversing the process, still solid blue background. Any ideas?

Edit: I tried clearing the caches with Onyx, repairing premissions and finally Visage Login. Nothing.
This won't repair anything, but it still could give you a new background. Also you could probably set it to the original aqua blue.

Login Background: The second tab lets you use any jpeg image as the background image of your login screen. Visage can even select a random image from your collection so that you will see a different background every time you log out!

Visage. Its free! (http://keakaj.com/visage.htm)

iTwitch
Oct 15, 2006, 02:20 AM

As I said I tried Visage. It modified /Library/Desktop Pictures as expected but had no effect on restart. On start/restart I get a gray screen with apple and spinning thing followed by a blue screen with box containing progress bar. No background picture. I tried deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist but that didn't fix it. Any other ideas are welcomed?

DJ OJ
Oct 15, 2006, 09:36 AM
sorry none of my ideas helped. :( i will keep trying.

technicolor
Oct 15, 2006, 01:04 PM
HELLO PEOPLE!

Was my post invisible?

I posted several links
including this one

which happens to work very well because I used it :rolleyes:

iTwitch
Oct 15, 2006, 03:49 PM
Very similar if not identical to the instructions DJ OJ posted in msg #11, which didn't work for me and I can't recover.

Edit: I did try all your links, none have helped me recover.

technicolor
Oct 15, 2006, 04:06 PM
Very similar if not identical to the instructions DJ OJ posted in msg #11, which didn't work for me and I can't recover.

Edit: I did try all your links, none have helped me recover.Sorry about that man.:(

theorem7
Oct 15, 2006, 08:41 PM
As I said I tried Visage. It modified /Library/Desktop Pictures as expected but had no effect on restart. On start/restart I get a gray screen with apple and spinning thing followed by a blue screen with box containing progress bar. No background picture. I tried deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist but that didn't fix it. Any other ideas are welcomed?

From this description, it sounds as if you are expecting it to change the screen behind the progress bar when Mac OS X is starting up. I may be reading it wrong, and forgive me if I did. But changing this modifies the picture behind the login window, not behind the startup progress bar. A restart is not even completely necesary, when I did mine, I just used Fast User Switching to go to the login window, so I could log back in quickly if I needed to make changes. This seemed to work fine for me.

But if I did read this wrong, and it's giving you a blank blue screen behind the login window, I would suggest checking the easy mistakes to make, such as making sure it's named "Aqua Blue.jpg", that it's the right resolution, that sort of thing. If none of those appear to be the problem, maybe repair permissions??? I don't think this could have an effect, but possibly the picture you are trying to replace it with has some strange permissions on it, and it's not able to be accessed....

iTwitch
Oct 15, 2006, 10:29 PM
Is the background of the progress bar supposed to be solid blue? I've been thinking it was 'Aqua Blue.jpg' and trying to restore it. Are you telling me I'm an idiot? :o

theorem7
Oct 17, 2006, 06:24 PM
Is the background of the progress bar supposed to be solid blue? I've been thinking it was 'Aqua Blue.jpg' and trying to restore it.
Yeah, the background of the progress bar is supposed to be solid blue. I think there is a way to change that background too, but I don't remember how off the top of my head, and I think it's a little less stable, as it requires messing around in CoreServices, if I remember correctly... I think there's some Quartz bundle that needs to be changed...
Are you telling me I'm an idiot? :o
Not at all! If it came off that way, I apologize!

iTwitch
Oct 18, 2006, 12:37 AM
No, but I felt a little like one. I was poking around in CoreServices but I soon realized I could easily hose my installation.

Temujin
Oct 18, 2006, 05:39 PM
Not entirely true

Jaylor
Oct 22, 2006, 10:19 PM

Edit: I did try all your links, none have helped me recover.
I had the problem that even when it loaded to the login screen it was still the blue background. It turned out that there was something wrong with the permissions of the .jpg file I put in, and repairing disk permissions from Disk Utility didn't fix it. I ended up changing the name to Aqua Blue2.jpg, and opening my .jpg in Preview, and re-saving it as Aqua Blue.jpg. Somehow saving it as a new file made it work.

Benjamin
Oct 23, 2006, 07:21 AM
Here's mine...

DJ OJ
Oct 23, 2006, 08:12 AM
How did you do the transparency?

imacintel
Oct 23, 2006, 08:15 AM

Maybe she has leopard. I wish I could download it.

Josh
Oct 23, 2006, 11:42 AM
I think you may be talking about two different things. I agree it would be very difficult (if not impossible) for a real-time effect. But punching out an ImageMagick script to generate this login screen automatically for you when your login window changes (like if you add a user or you change your login icon) isn't too hard.

Very true, but I don't think a "reflection" would look very realistic if when you clicked a user and the password field appeared the reflected image remained unchanged.

DJ OJ
Oct 23, 2006, 12:54 PM
Maybe she has leopard. I wish I could download it.
I want leopard really bad.

PowerFullMac
Oct 24, 2006, 10:42 AM
Me to, leapard rules. I acctually know someone that went to WWDC and had a leopard install disk and let me use it but it didnt work because theres no G3 support!!! G4 and G5 but no G3. I realy need a new Mac.

Benjamin
Oct 24, 2006, 11:23 AM
Maybe he has leopard. I wish I could download it.

Actually I'm running Tiger and the login transparency just an image added to the nib loginwindow file. If you are wondering the file is at:

/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/loginwindow.bundle/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/LoginWindowUI.nib

Floodgrunt
Oct 27, 2008, 01:13 PM
HOW DID YOU ADD THE PICTURE TO THE .nib? I can't figure it out...

PowerFullMac
Oct 27, 2008, 01:47 PM
HOW DID YOU ADD THE PICTURE TO THE .nib? I can't figure it out...

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

themoonisdown09
Oct 27, 2008, 02:10 PM
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Hahaha. I didn't realize how old the thread was until I saw someone say "Maybe he has leopard. I wish I could download it" and "I want leopard really bad".

PowerFullMac
Oct 27, 2008, 04:31 PM
Hahaha. I didn't realize how old the thread was until I saw someone say "Maybe he has leopard. I wish I could download it" and "I want leopard really bad".

LOL back in the day... :D

Floodgrunt
Oct 27, 2008, 11:54 PM
No really, how do I add a picture to a .nib file?

PowerFullMac
Oct 28, 2008, 04:18 AM
No really, how do I add a picture to a .nib file?

I think you need to replace the default one with the transparent one.

Floodgrunt
Oct 28, 2008, 01:41 PM
Yes, but how do I get IN the .nib file in the first place? How do I open it?

PowerFullMac
Oct 28, 2008, 02:54 PM
Yes, but how do I get IN the .nib file in the first place? How do I open it?

Open it with Interface Builder... I dont think you need to, just view the package content of the SecurityAgentPlugins app (use the path posted previously) and find the background image, the .nib is setup to get its image from there so replacing it with a file of the same name will route it to the custom image instead.

derryquinn
Oct 28, 2008, 04:34 PM
HELLO PEOPLE!

Was my post invisible?

I posted several links
including this one

which happens to work very well because I used it :rolleyes:
HOLY ****!!!

it was Invisible :rolleyes: