Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
hey everyone...well I have my friend who has an iTunes Library of about 63,000+ songs, no joke seriously...

when he clicks on it to shows duplicates, there are about 25,000 duplicates, now is there a way to be able to get rid of this automatically without having to delete them one by one? and this is all on a Mac...thanks :)

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
dreamsINdigital said:
Shift + click to select all, delete?

Doesn't "show duplicates" show both files (or more). So if you delete all you'll lose all the songs of that name/artist not just the duplicate?

Or am I talking rubbish?

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
sreedy said:
Doesn't "show duplicates" show both files (or more). So if you delete all you'll lose all the songs of that name/artist not just the duplicate?

Or am I talking rubbish?
Ah, right. I forgot about that. I don't know what else to do than to manually select yourself then.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Having to click 25,000 songs is the price you pay for piracy.

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
dreamsINdigital said:
Ah, right. I forgot about that. I don't know what else than to manually select yourself then.

I guess it's hard for iTunes to know which ones you might want deleted out of the duplicates. You might have the same track in single and album version, or maybe you ripped it twice in different formats...... you almost need a smart playlist type thing for duplicates so you could say show me the dulpicate that isn't AAC or something.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
rdowns said:

:rolleyes:

Have him check out Doug's Scripts, there are a couple for handling duplicate files. At least iTunes seems to have finally fixed the bug where adding a file more than once made it show up multiple times in the iTunes library.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
rdowns said:

thank you for the helpful post, how did you know they're pirated? did you come over and look inside the library? for your information, every single track on that library is either ripped or purchased, and I mean every single one, so don't go off making assumptions like some moron :rolleyes:

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
thanks to everyone, I'll look into those scripts, but there must be a simpler way

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.