PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma, G5 or Core Duo




RedDragon870503
Oct 12, 2006, 11:02 AM
Okay, so I buy a 20 inch core duo on eBay for 1121. A pretty descent deal. The ad is plastered with Core Duo everywhere. I get it, the thing is stunning (a big step up from my MDD with a 17in screen) Turn it on, boot it up... check the system profiler to smile at my Core Duo processor but NO!!! IT IS A G5!!!!! What the heck, so here is the dilemma. I offered the seller an option to give me 300 bucks to keep the machine which would be a loaded G5 for 850 bucks (I sold my MDD for 800!)... or I would leave negative feedback, ship it back and force him to pay for shipping both ways.

Would it be in my best interest to keep the machine for a while; afterall it is a HUGE step up from the MDD, as I do not need the power of the Core Duo, yet.... Not a gamer; just a CS2 lover... And then sell it and buy a Core 2 Duo when the prices come down?



MIDI_EVIL
Oct 12, 2006, 11:09 AM
Okay, so I buy a 20 inch core duo on eBay for 1121. A pretty descent deal. The ad is plastered with Core Duo everywhere. I get it, the thing is stunning (a big step up from my MDD with a 17in screen) Turn it on, boot it up... check the system profiler to smile at my Core Duo processor but NO!!! IT IS A G5!!!!! What the heck, so here is the dilemma. I offered the seller an option to give me 300 bucks to keep the machine which would be a loaded G5 for 850 bucks (I sold my MDD for 800!)... or I would leave negative feedback, ship it back and force him to pay for shipping both ways.

Would it be in my best interest to keep the machine for a while; afterall it is a HUGE step up from the MDD, as I do not need the power of the Core Duo, yet.... Not a gamer; just a CS2 lover... And then sell it and buy a Core 2 Duo when the prices come down?

No, don't keep it. You were mis-sold/conned.

It might be a big step up from the G4 MDD, but the Core Duo is a BIGGER step up from the G5.

Do the right thing, get all of your money back if you can, and go elsewhere.

Rich.

RedDragon870503
Oct 12, 2006, 11:11 AM
Look at the opportunity I have... 50 bucks to upgrade from a MDD to a Loaded G5 iMac. What about taking the 300 and then turning around and selling the iMac for a profit THEN buying a Core Duo?

dmw007
Oct 12, 2006, 11:13 AM
Hmm, tough decision. You seem to have had your heart set on an iMac with a Core Duo processor, I would not settle for anything less.

And if the guy was dishonest about what type of iMac it was, do you think that he was forthcoming about any problems the machine might have (or had). :o


iMac G5s are fine computers to be sure, but I would go for a Core Duo/Core 2 Duo based iMac if I was you. :)

RedDragon870503
Oct 12, 2006, 11:16 AM
I actually just think the guy is an idiot... not really a sneaky guy. Just dumb. Though appearances can be deceiving the unit is flawless and everything seems to work fantastic. Is 850 a good price to pay for a loaded G5... (iSight 2.1ghz?)

dmw007
Oct 12, 2006, 11:42 AM
I actually just think the guy is an idiot... not really a sneaky guy. Just dumb. Though appearances can be deceiving the unit is flawless and everything seems to work fantastic. Is 850 a good price to pay for a loaded G5... (iSight 2.1ghz?)


Seems like a good price to me. But are you going to be happy with it? :)

4JNA
Oct 12, 2006, 01:08 PM
tough call. i would take the G5 for $850, as that seems a good deal. you could use it and save money until the 'waiting for...' gets released, and then buy the newer system. the imac is a super computer, will kick the crap out of the MDD you just sold, and i see no reason to spend money on a system that won't run the software you plan to use as fast.

just me though. and yeah, dumb not sneaky is a tough sector to deal with...:(

vi2867
Oct 12, 2006, 02:21 PM
I would definately send it back if possible, and get a full refund and hopefully shipping, too.

I sell on ebay, and it just upsets me to see people mis-lead customers, when they are selling on eBay. Hopefully, you paid a with credit card this way you can do a charge back if you run into problems with the seller.

Willis
Oct 12, 2006, 02:39 PM
If I was you, I'd do what you did, ask for the money back, but you could send it back if you wish purely because the PPC models will start to loose their value after CS3 comes out.

However, the G5 is a great computer. And you got an AMAZING price for it. 458 is cheaper than what I paid for my 17" (495)

plinden
Oct 12, 2006, 02:46 PM
Keep the machine, take the $300 and post a negative comment detailing what happened. Anyone who misrepresents a sale deserves a negative comment, no matter how satisfied you are with the outcome.

ziwi
Oct 12, 2006, 02:50 PM
Send it back - he misrepresented the product. Slam his feedback. That is my first thought.

Getting the iMac G5 for the $850 is also a nice deal, but once again if he was misrepresenting a product he sold on Ebay - what else is he no telling you?

Eraserhead
Oct 12, 2006, 02:54 PM
I sell on ebay, and it just upsets me to see people mis-lead customers, when they are selling on eBay. Hopefully, you paid a with credit card this way you can do a charge back if you run into problems with the seller.


I would recommend the same, pay by credit card as Paypal sucks so much...