PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 23" ACD

eyemacg5
Oct 17, 2006, 04:37 PM
For a while now i have admired the acd but now i have a few questions.

Can I connect my Mini VGA to VGA Adapter To this adapter
http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolder/04/41223/index.php
then to a 23" ACD?

using screen spanning doctor.

thanks

jake

wyatt23
Oct 17, 2006, 04:40 PM
you would need to have the DVI/USB-to-ACD adapter.

then you could attempt.... mini-vga -> vga -> (VGA-to-DVI) adapter -> DVI/USB-to-ACD -> ACD Monitor.

while it'd be a little sloppy looking, i'm sure it's be fine.

orangezorki
Oct 17, 2006, 04:41 PM
Sorry to rain on your parade, but no, it won't work. All that does is take the analogue out and take it to the analogue pins that are used in some DVI ports. The Apple displays are digital only.

David

wyatt23
Oct 17, 2006, 04:45 PM
that's not true. if you have a digital display with DVI in, you can successfully use a vga to dvi converter and use the display.

adding the ACD converter doesn't matter becasue the DVI and ACD signal are identical [cept ACD has USB included so you need the display]

eyemacg5
Oct 17, 2006, 04:55 PM
ACD connector?
ACD meaning Apple Cinema Display, dosent it just use dvi?

sycho
Oct 17, 2006, 06:53 PM
that's not true. if you have a digital display with DVI in, you can successfully use a vga to dvi converter and use the display.
actually, he is right, Apple Displays are digital only.

WildCowboy
Oct 17, 2006, 06:58 PM
ACD connector?
ACD meaning Apple Cinema Display, dosent it just use dvi?

He seems to have confused ACD (Apple Cinema Display) and ADC (Apple Display Connector). The current line of Apple Cinema Displays uses DVI, not ADC.

That said, it does appear that Apple's displays only accept a digital signal, so you'd need an expensive converter box to convert the analog signal coming from VGA to a digital signal going out through DVI.

minnesotamacman
Oct 18, 2006, 12:38 PM
He seems to have confused ACD (Apple Cinema Display) and ADC (Apple Display Connector). The current line of Apple Cinema Displays uses DVI, not ADC.

That said, it does appear that Apple's displays only accept a digital signal, so you'd need an expensive converter box to convert the analog signal coming from VGA to a digital signal going out through DVI.

I have seen them used with a VGA-DVI connector. Doesn't this work?

eyemacg5
Oct 18, 2006, 01:50 PM
so i would need something like this

http://www.computercablestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=2969

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 18, 2006, 01:58 PM
so i would need something like this

http://www.computercablestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=2969

Yeah. And if you'r spending that kind of money you'd probably be better off putting it towards a Core 2 Duo iMac since the sale of a G5 iMac + $299 = not far off a Core 2 Duo iMac. Depending on your screen requirements you could also go for the 24" model so you might not need the second screen anymore.

Edit: I just realised that you're in the UK. That box will probably set you back around 200 over here. An Apple 23" ACD is 779. So that's already 979 worth which is only 20 short of a 20" iMac Core 2 Duo. I'm sure you'd get at least 400 for a G5 iSight iMac which puts you into the 24" iMac range. Food for thought.

eyemacg5
Oct 18, 2006, 02:09 PM
i was thinking its a bit of a waste of money, so I'll just use my crappy little 15" for a 2nd moniter :)

-jake