PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Powerbook wireless problem!

undead-design
Oct 21, 2006, 10:32 AM
I just got a 17" Powerbook G4 1.5 Ghz. My friend that sold it to me said that her wireless always had a really weak signal but in recent time, unless she was in the same room as the router it was really hard to get a decent connection. She said she took it to an Apple store but her Apple care was expired and they said they'd have to send it out for 5-7 days. Today I just tried it out at home, where I normally (as well as everyone else in the house) have full signal from our router, this computer gets a bar or two max.

I was adding in some more RAM to it so I figured I'd take it the rest of the way apart. So, in doing so carefully because I could not find a diagram at all that matched this computer, I found that there is not a Airport Extreme card in the computer at all! So, since you guys know the answers, I have a few questions.

Is that right? Is the wireless built in now? (or maybe for that year)

Is this a common problem that the signal fades?

What can I do about this? this kinda sucks!

Any other suggestions!? :(

Thanks for reading...hopefully somebody else knows this same situation and I can figure something out!

Abominable
Nov 30, 2006, 01:37 PM
I am pretty sure that the wireless card is built it, well almost 100% sure. I have a powerbok G4 1.67 and the wireless / bluetooth is built in. I find that sometimes the signal dips down to 2 bars but that i am sure that is my router. Have you tried testing the powerbook on another router? There may also be a lot of interference from outside sources neer the computer or the router. check that.

Hope that Helps

MacNut
Nov 30, 2006, 01:41 PM
You can take the card out but it sounds like maybe a loose antenna.