Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
I just got a new 867 15 inch Powerbook with a combo drive. I want to put an extensive project onto DVD. I have access to a mac with DVD burner, but not consistent access to the computer itself. Whenever I try to launch iDVD 3, it tells me nessecary hardware missig (DVD burner), and then quits. Is there anyway I can use my Powerbook to create the project file and then burn the project file to CD then transfer it to the computer with a DVD burner.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Re: using iDVD 3 without having a DVD burner

Originally posted by stoid
I just got a new 867 15 inch Powerbook with a combo drive. I want to put an extensive project onto DVD. I have access to a mac with DVD burner, but not consistent access to the computer itself. Whenever I try to launch iDVD 3, it tells me nessecary hardware missig (DVD burner), and then quits. Is there anyway I can use my Powerbook to create the project file and then burn the project file to DVD then transfer it to the computer with a DVD burner.

Well, you could run DVD Studio Pro, which runs on machines without DVD burners...

Other than that, I have no idea.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
yeah, iDVD wont launch without the hardware. You can edit, export and do all that good jazz on the powerbook, but to create and burn the DVD you need a superdrive to actually launch the program.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
there are some patches i have seen on carracho, dont know if they work with idvd3.

iJon

steeleclipse

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2002
Canada
a patch would work, however, it must be specific for idvd3. Apple knows of the 2 patch and has fixed number 3.. dont worry... there will be one around soon :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.