Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lpshean

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Hiya,

Was wondering if there's a way to refresh my ip address using terminal since the ISP im using has a dynamic ip (apprently).

Tried to unplug the router etc, but the ip address stayed the same. I know using the PC, u could do it by using dos commands like;

ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns

But... im not sure how to do it using a mac. Help? :confused:

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
What's wrong with the one you have, and what makes you think the next one would be better? Are you on dial-up?

lpshean

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Well, its basically for security purposes i guess and also its *possibly* a workaround for a problem thats been bugging me for a long time.

That much i'll divulge into. ;)

GregE

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
I did a little Googling and it looks like what you are looking for is the 'ifconfig' command. What I found also says to read 'man ifconfig' for details.

Then I found where somebody said the command for renew is

sudo ifconfig en0 down​

and release is

sudo ifconfig en0 down;sudo ifconfig en0 up​

Here is the link I found this.

Hope that helps (and it's correct :confused:)

(Just realized this thread was over a year old. Why do people post to really old threads like that? ughhhhh :mad:)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
That will renew the IP address (potentially, it might get the same one) of the computer you type it on: it will have no effect on the external IP address that the router has. This is the address that all websites/XBox live etc sees so that's what you need to refresh. The easiest way to do this is to unplug the router for a while as suggested above. There may be other router specific ways of doing it, but no generic way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.