PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 usb problem...

london70
Oct 23, 2006, 09:45 AM
I have an iBook G4 and for some reason both usb ports will not recognize my flash drive, digital camera, or iPod for some reason. They have never done this before and I am extremely confused :confused: . If anyone knows what has happened or has any ideas please let me know asap.

Thanks.

2nyRiggz
Oct 23, 2006, 10:16 AM
Try repairing permissions. Check system profiler and see if the usb ports are showing up.

Bless

london70
Oct 23, 2006, 10:27 AM
I went into the system profiler and I think it shows that they are there...it shows the id's and everythign, but I am not sure what you mean about the permissions. I am not that computer literate...

2nyRiggz
Oct 23, 2006, 10:31 AM
In finder go to:

Application>>Utilities>>Disk Utility

Pick the drive that you want to verify/repair permissions and push the button:o

After thats completed give it a restart and tell me about it.

Bless

manwivaplan
Oct 16, 2008, 08:46 PM
:mad:[QUOTE=2nyRiggz;2971409]In finder go to:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi! I am also experiencing this problem! I came across this forum subject and tried the above suggestion, however it has not fixed my problem. I've been using my Samsung YP-U1 MP3 player & iMage webcam on my iBook G4 for at least 2 years now without problems until now!

3 things: I can still use my external Lacie HDD on both USB ports but I DO need to use a power adapter with this. Could power suddenly be an issue?

The second thing is that while using my HDD one day, straight out of the blue, it seemed to keep turning my computer completely off!! After a few restarts it's working o.k. After this happened however I lost my sound! ...again after a restart it was fine. (???) Then when I came to use my webcam it wouldn't recognize it and now my MP3 player too!! Frustrating or what!??

The third is that I have upgraded to OS X version 10.5 recently but this hasn't seemed to me to be the problem as I have had it running with all the above gizmos just fine.

So PLEASE if anyone can shine light on this I would be very grateful!!

hughvane
Oct 16, 2008, 09:33 PM
To try and deal with both questions about the USB issue, it is probably a lack of USB power. There is a lot of discussion on forums about what will and won't work with laptop USB ports.

As a general rule - and for sure there will be exceptions (aren't there always?) - only low-demand devices like keyboard, mouse and flash drives work without their own power source. Anything other than those - use a powered hub!

Of course, for devices that do not have an external power supply, you've got a problem, but then there are USB splitters that channel the power from both USB ports to the one device.

Keep us posted on any developments.

rotcod
Jan 29, 2009, 01:20 PM
In finder go to:

Bless

Just thought it worth giving mention that my iBook G4's two USB 2.0 ports were dying slowly over the last month, until a few days ago they stopped recognizing anything. Advice from the stores was to toss the iBook and buy a whole new laptop, of course, but I just found this forum, repaired permissions and now everything is working again, including two external hard drives, one which relies on the USB for power, and another with an external power source.

So I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for the advice!

babaodo
Aug 23, 2009, 02:17 AM
Just to say that the above advice sorted me out fine. Thank you all :)