Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BillyBunter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2003
As a recent switcher and a satisifed customer, I have no axe to grind with Apple. However, at work I use a pc and I browse with IE6, and with IE6 the Apple site is an absolute mess - completely illegible. It is simply astonishing that Apple should allow this to continue while at the same time attempting to convert pc'ers to the mac. How can they possible be converted if they can't read the site? It's a joke!

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
huh?

Works great on my IE6 PC. version 6.0.26. It's always worked fine on my PC.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Re: Apple - get your act together!

Originally posted by BillyBunter
... at work I use a pc and I browse with IE6, and with IE6 the Apple site is an absolute mess - completely illegible...

Can you enclose a screenshot?

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
I don't know what the problem on your side is, but try clearing your web cache. The cache can do funny things to a webpage if the cache has become corrupted. I've seen it do some wacked stuff to the MR page.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Apple - get your act together!

As a recent switcher and a satisifed customer, I have no axe to grind with Apple. However, at work I use a pc and I browse with IE6, and with IE6 the Apple site is an absolute mess - completely illegible. It is simply astonishing that Apple should allow this to continue while at the same time attempting to convert pc'ers to the mac. How can they possible be converted if they can't read the site? It's a joke!
sounds like you need to get your act together and fix your computer because your the only one with problems. lets not go bashing companies when you dont know what you are talking about.

iJon

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Re: Re: Apple - get your act together!

Originally posted by iJon
sounds like you need to get your act together and fix your computer because your the only one with problems. lets not go bashing companies when you dont know what you are talking about.

iJon
Tolerance.

Flaming someone for flaming someone else is a little... silly.

Apple.com looks fine on my PC at work with IE 6 by the way.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Apple - get your act together!

Originally posted by yzedf
Tolerance.

Flaming someone for flaming someone else is a little... silly.

Apple.com looks fine on my PC at work with IE 6 by the way.
yeah your right, i guess i just felt he should have said "what is wrong with my computer, apple site isnt showing up right." sorry man

iJon

djtet

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2003
Charleston, SC
firewall???

I have old PC's at both work and at home, and the apple site looks fine on both computers using IE 6...
However I used to have an old firewall installed on my PC at home (atguard) and when I would try to view the apple site, it wouldn't fully load and look jumbled. As soon as I disabled the firewall it looked fine...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: firewall???

Originally posted by djtet
I have old PC's at both work and at home, and the apple site looks fine on both computers using IE 6...
However I used to have an old firewall installed on my PC at home (atguard) and when I would try to view the apple site, it wouldn't fully load and look jumbled. As soon as I disabled the firewall it looked fine...
thats odd, i am behind 2 firewalls and i never have problems, guess some things just affect it.

iJon

BillyBunter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2003
Bloody Hell!

Calm down, calm down! As a web developer I figure I know something about what a site should look like. And it ain't this. I've checked my encoding and it's fine. Point is, every other site I visit renders perfectly. Why not Apple?

Attachments

• apple 2.gif
    apple 2.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 259

losfp

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
eww!

Looks like a problem there - FWIW I've never had a problem viewing apple.com in MSIE 6 on WinXP. so all other sites render ok? Maybe your ISP's connection to apple is dodgy - looks like it's unable to download the images (nothing wrong with the rendering there). Who knows..

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well we can all access it from our pc's so doesnt that tell you something, and since your on windows no telling whats wrong. hope you get it fixed, im sure you checked your settings but maybe you should check again, did you try another browswer, go try mozilla or phoenix.

iJon

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Re: firewall???

Originally posted by djtet
djtet...what a small world. I live in Charleston too (Mt. P). Just saw your location...cool man.

Anyhow, Apple.com looks fine in IE6 for me.

bwawn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Re: Bloody Hell!

Calm down, calm down! As a web developer I figure I know something about what a site should look like. And it ain't this. I've checked my encoding and it's fine. Point is, every other site I visit renders perfectly. Why not Apple?

All of Apple's images are hosted on the akamai.net domain it looks like, as are all of their Quicktime streams. My guess is that your PC is set to not accept any images from akamai.net. Sometimes programs like Kazaa will block some sites like this, or maybe akamai.net is the home to various advertisements and another program decided to block it. Or maybe it's on the level of your company firewall. Who knows.

Good luck. I would assume that, somewhere in your company, either at the level of your PC or your company's firewall, akamai.net is blocked.

[edit] In fact, I am almost positive this is your problem. akamai.net is frequently a server used for advertisers and so somewhere, possibly at the level of your computer especially if you've installed software like Kazaa, you are blocking any incoming connections from akamai.net. For an example of akamai.net hosting ads, go to http://www.snopes.com ... click on "What's New?" at the top and click on any of the stories from within there, or even on the side of that page itself. You should have a broken image from your work computer that won't let you view Apple's pages properly, because akamai.net hosts ads on this page. The pages will load fine; just somewhere on the page there will be a broken image where akamai.net would otherwise have had an ad presented on your screen.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
A similar event happened rather often at Pascack Hills, the H.S. I (still) go to. Sometimes Apple's tabs would load, and other times they wouldn't. Also, anytime I did a search with the term

powerbook

in it, via Altavista or Dealtime, the search never succeed.

Some conspiracy that was. Now the PC-zealot techie (bakes pies to throw at her for pre-Easter) has modified the privilages so more access is allowed. Now I can get to rated "R" sites, whereas a few years ago you couldn't even use the word "sex" in a search engine, even for something 100% educational.

That reminds me. I have to go to Pascack Hills tomorrow. :)

BillyBunter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2003
Apologies to all...!

The problem was in my hosts file. Thanks to bwawn for pointing the way. I'm happy to be viewing Apple again. Now - who said I wouldn't be posting again?:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.