Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
i am new to macs. i wanted to know what the Santa rosa platform was and if it was something that i should wait for to come out like everyone is saying they are doing?

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Unless you are like most of the people on this forum, buying a mac every 6 weeks, no don't wait. Hell, A new update just came out today! If you really want one, buy it now, and don't look back. Chances are, it'll be a few years at least before you have to upgrade, so don't worry about all he Core duo 2 and santa rosa stuff. (At least for now)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Ike said:
i am new to macs. i wanted to know what the Santa rosa platform was and if it was something that i should wait for to come out like everyone is saying they are doing?

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Use Google! Please!

Ike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
i just needed a quick summary of it, not a whole webpage with specs...i don't have time right now to look all of that up and i thought that's what this forum was for anyway.

nobody said you had to post anything, robbie

thank you for your quick responses everyone

Ike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
By March 2007, Intel will upgrade Merom's chipset and wireless technology with the Crestline chipset, which will be released as part of the Santa Rosa platform,

Intel's fourth-generation Centrino notebook platform, known as 'Santa Rosa', the solution will take the hardware's frontside bus speed to 800MHz.

A faster front-side bus will improve the performance of 2007 Santa Rosa notebooks as compared with 2006 systems based on Merom and the 945 mobile chipsets. That chipset currently uses a 667MHz front-side bus.

for future reference

i don't know if i can wait till march...i can barely wait for the next macbook upgrade as it is.

aaronfzr

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Hi Ike,

Santa Rosa will be some new kit that includes some extra/better features & abilities, such as whats already been noted. Its going to be a good improvement. But there are always improvements "around the corner", and I dont think its worth waiting for. Although it'll be great, it'll be no greater than all the other great next-big-things, and 6 months after santa rosa there'll be another brilliant innovation ready.

Of course, this is a little bit hypocritical...I've held off from buying a new Macbook Pro waiting for the new version, but only for a month or so. Especially if you really want a computer now, its not worth waiting half a year.

Look at it this way, although the santa rosa thing will be really good, it probably won't be great as the fun you'll get from using your new computer for the next 6 months :)

Aaron

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
Santa Rosa would be nice; but I could do without it. I would really have liked a better GPU in the new MBP's... I was about to order one yesterday but I am now considering waiting a while untill early next year.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
robbieduncan said:
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Use Google! Please!
He has a point. Although you're new here. Use Google or search the MacRumors forums. I'm sure there's a lot of Santa Rosa information flooded within the Full Laptop By Holidays thread. Also Santa Rosa platform isn't the basics of Mac (at least not yet). I'm sure you have the time to look around b/c the MacBooks aren't even out yet and it wouldn't be much of a forum if ppl spam crappy questions.

From the previous Intel update on Santa Rosa, it's about 5-6 months out and if you can wait, wait. However I'm getting my MacBook now so I can get my hands on the 45nm processors in the future. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.