Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider expects that Apple will update its complete laptop line (13" MacBook and 15/17" MacBook Pros) to Core 2 Duo "Merom" before the holiday shopping season starts in late November. According to the site, development has been completed and the launch is simply awaiting Apple's marketing team to "pull the trigger."

MacShrine and MacOSXRumors expect the MacBook Pro to be updated at Apple's September 25th event preceding Photokina. AppleInsider is unsure whether the updated MacBook will be unveiled at that event or be held off to ensure adequate supply of Intel's Core 2 Duo Merom chip.

Many users have pointed to extended ship dates and delays for MacBooks as evidence of an impending update. While possible, the shipping delays may simply be due to a demand backlog which was noted in Apple's Q3 2006 conference call in July. At the time Apple stated they expected to reach a supply/demand balance by the end of September (the end of Apple's current fiscal quarter).

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. I've still got another couple of revisions before I'm ready to buy, so I'll be sitting this one out.

My gut feeling is that there won't be any new hardware at Photokina, but a later release of the MeromBooks in time for Christmas is certainly possible.

bjdku

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2006
Chicago, IL
It would be cool but how is Apple going to keep up with this feverous pace of Intel chip releases? In a couple months there will be another chip upgrade in the whole line...what is the next chip after Merom?

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Of course they're going to refresh the laptops before the holidays. Duh. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• thanksfortheinfo.jpg
    thanksfortheinfo.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 480

kalun

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
In Macbook/Pro are updating in Novemeber...It means Apple is 3 months behind all laptop manufactures...

I seriously doubt that Apple will let that happen, but then again, they are apple, they think differently!

mkjellman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2003
APPLE I NEED A NEW MACBOOK PRO. I NEED FIREWIRE 800, I NEED A DL SuperDrive, i'd like MEMROM. If you had to release a half-assed Prosumer laptop in the first place to start your transition for the love of god PLEASE update it now. Its been a LONG time since we've seen any updates. Apple is now competing in INTEL land, were they need to keep their laptops current. Release the laptops (notebooks in your case as you like to call them) i'll place the order and wait for them to ship. PLEASE.!

mike

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
mkjellman said:
APPLE I NEED A NEW MACBOOK PRO. I NEED FIREWIRE 800, I NEED A DL SuperDrive, i'd like MEMROM. If you had to releace a half-assed Prosumer laptop in the first place to start your transition for the love of god PLEASE update it now. Its been a LONG time since we've seen any updates. Apple is now competeing in INTEL land, were they need to keep their laptops current. Releace the laptops (notebooks in your case as you like to call them) i'll place the order and wait for them to ship. PLEASE.!

mike

Eh what choices do you have if Apple doesn't wish to play by your needs... buy from another vendor? Let the "free market" decide? Oh wait, I forgot, for Macs there is no free market, it is basically a monopoly.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Surprise?

News Flash: Apple to update chips in incredibly expensive pro laptop line no more than 3 months after competitors!

They better be updated by the 26th. Not only is any later date even more ridiculously late, but I'm starting to get kernal panics on my old computer. -_-

jwp1964

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Enterprise, KS
12" Book of some kind....

Please Apple put out a new 12" or smaller notebook and I'm in! My iBook is about to be 3 years old and it's time to upgrade.:D

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
I went ahead and bought my MacBook Pro because I can't do my schoolwork without a laptop. So, I'm really not paying much attention these days about future announcements :)

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
generik said:
Let the "free market" decide? Oh wait, I forgot, for Macs there is no free market, it is basically a monopoly.

Yeah. I keep on thinking of going for a Thinkpad, but every time I think to how hooked I am on OS X, I can't do it. But I refuse to pay good money for now "outdated" hardware in a flagship notebook computer line. Ridiculous.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
mkjellman said:
APPLE I NEED A NEW MACBOOK PRO. I NEED FIREWIRE 800, I NEED A DL SuperDrive, i'd like MEMROM. If you had to releace a half-assed Prosumer laptop in the first place to start your transition for the love of god PLEASE update it now. Its been a LONG time since we've seen any updates. Apple is now competeing in INTEL land, were they need to keep their laptops current. Releace the laptops (notebooks in your case as you like to call them) i'll place the order and wait for them to ship. PLEASE.!

mike

For the love of God, please, learn to spell.

mkjellman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2003
to be honest - i've been looking at the lenovo offerings and i'm attracted. i have been a diehard apple fan my entire life, but if all it means is i have to use tiger clone (aka vista) but at least have hardware that is current with technology i'll buy.

so yes, apple has a monopoly, but they can't be to jack ass about it because people will start to go other places no matter how good ilife is.

there is no excuse that one of the top 5 notebook venders in the united states on intel architecture is behind this much its competitors.

mkjellman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2003
Music_Producer said:
For the love of God, please, learn to spell.

for the love of god get a life. oh sorry must be the lack of coffee thats making me tired and irritable

lar34

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2004
Merom notebooks by next week I hope, but more importantly, less heat... please.

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
SC68Cal said:
I went ahead and bought my MacBook Pro because I can't do my schoolwork without a laptop. So, I'm really not paying much attention these days about future announcements :)

Is that irony?

I'm also a student, and I don't think I could wait any longer than a month for these long-overdue MacBook Pros to ship... so a possible late November arrival is worrying to say the least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.