Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scorpio8977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Kuwait
I own an 80gb MacBook Pro (2Ghz Intel Dual Core), running it with 2Gb Ram and an 500gb External drive which I added 2 days ago, and promptly emptied my hard drive of all photo's music etc and deleted all libraries (iphoto, itunes etc).

I tried to transfer some shots taken tonight into iphoto, whereupon it told me i needed to refresh my thumbnails, which it started to do, then hung because it came across some modified files and didn't like them. Instead of skipping past them, the whole laptop hung, nothing was working and I was forced to hold down the power button to get it to turn off.

The next 2 hours was filled with me trying to get past my password entry screen, eventually letting it shutdown fully (1hr) which obviously reset the issue which was stopping me logging in. The dock was reset to standard, no shortcuts to anything I normally have, and the HD was full. Before, I had about 36gb free, but now it's full, to the brim, zero gb available.

Any suggestions most welcome before I take it back to the store and kick off - which being in Kuwait and being English (and their tech support sucking like a pro on a buy one get one free weekend) I'm not keen on doing.

I don't have any roll-back utilities, can't see anything obvious I can click on to get this back to how it was.

HELP!!

Kind Regards

Matt

mattpargeter@mac.com

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
If you can back up files on the external hdd , then erase and install mac osX you should be able to start with a clean slate on the laptop. Did you accidentally archive and install to fill up your drive?

scorpio8977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Kuwait
srf4real said:
If you can back up files on the external hdd , then erase and install mac osX you should be able to start with a clean slate on the laptop. Did you accidentally archive and install to fill up your drive?

This is entirely possible (the back up, i don't remember archiving anything, wouldn't know how to if I'm honest). I have 500gb to play with. Do I just copy and paste / drag it over?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Don't waste your time with a reinstall until you know that is the last resort and has to be done. It could be that something is borked and spamming your log files.

scorpio8977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Kuwait
see, this is where I get lost because it's my first mac after 20yrs of PC's. I'm looking at the disk utilities but failing with anything I'm trying.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
yellow said:
It could be that something is borked and spamming your log files.
These guys are a lot more knowledgable than I am... what the heck is borked? All I know is drag/drop important keeper files and wipe the rest will eliminate the spamming borker for good!:D It does suck if you have apps that were registered, you'll need to save the keys and re-enter them. My solution is definately LAST RESORT.:eek:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
srf4real said:
These guys are a lot more knowledgable than I am... what the heck is borked?

Internet slang, corruption of broken; Completely and utterly broken. c.f. fubar

Honestly.. try WhatSize or OmniDiskSweeper to see where all your disk space has gone first off. Or, open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and type in:

sudo du -h -d 1 /

Wait for a while and then copy/paste the output here.

scorpio8977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Kuwait
Ok, Copied and pasted the message you posted and it asked me for a password. I have a system password but it wouldn't let me enter it, or anything else. Any other suggestions?

Last login: Wed Oct 25 00:27:46 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
You have new mail.
matt-pargeters-computer:~ mattpargeter$ sudo du -h -d 1 /

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password:

scorpio8977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Kuwait
ok, put my system password in and hit enter and got this....

37M /.Spotlight-V100
0B /.Trashes
2.0K /.vol

mean anything to anyone?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
This is because of "sudo", which means [roughly] "do as super user". Nothing shows up when you type in your admin password. Just type it and press return and the command runs. Try it again.

EDIT: You didn't wait long enough.. I said it would take a long time and it will. Wait until the prompt comes back, THEN it's done.

scorpio8977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Kuwait
Cheers Yellow, yeah, I figured I'd jumped the gun a little. Ok, I've got 58gb in my users? Am i reading that right? And how the hell do i delete it?

Matt

Password:
37M /.Spotlight-V100
0B /.Trashes
2.0K /.vol
5.1G /Applications
1.5K /automount
6.7M /bin
0B /cores
2.0K /dev
9.6G /Library
2.0K /Network
2.1G /private
4.5M /sbin
1.8G /System
58G /Users
494M /usr
9.5G /Volumes
87G /
matt-pargeters-computer:~ mattpargeter$

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Yes..

I would run it again, but change the trailing / to /Users or even /Users/shortusername where "shortusername" is the short user name of your account, because undoubtedly the data is all in your home directory and this will tell you where:

sudo du -h -d 1 /Users/shortusername

I'm guessing when you moved the data to the external HD and trashed the data in your home directory, that you never emptied the trash? ;)

scorpio8977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Kuwait
no, that command doesn't work. I tried all perameters, first name, with and without last name, with underscores & without, everything, then without the username and just the User ending, both with and without the / after it.

I did empty the trash, and it's totally empty now, I'd wished it was something as simple as that.

Matt

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Sorry, it was a syntax error above on my part. The -s flag is no longer used in du. Old habits die hard.

Your short username is "mattpargeter".

sudo du -h -d 1 /Users/mattpargeter

scorpio8977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Kuwait
Ok, that worked nicely. Found out that my user had duplicated itself 9 times so I deleted the duplicates and suddenly gained 45gb. Thanks for all your help Yellow, you get a gold star!

Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.