Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Do you have faith that apple never stretches the truth at all???You know,like"ahem!"four usb ports,one of which gets used up in order to plug in the keyboard which sports two of them=three usable usb ports,unless you are ok using your computer without a keyboard,in which case you only get two usb ports.=B.S.
Dual monitor support?Sure,if you happen to have an "Apple" monitor and a VGA monitor,which is completely lame=more B.S.
80GB hard drive?Howabout 74.53GB "capacity"=+B.S.
So now I am supposed to believe that my two chips run at exactly 1000mhz?,or that the bus speed actually makes it to a whopping 133mhz?
Or that they even bothered gluing on the dummy 2meg ddram level three cache chips?
I'm sure that if you think about it you can find even more evidence that Apple B.S.'s in their marketing strategies and product info statements.
Anyone else see any Apple B.S.?
Doesn't it bug you?

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Re: Apple B.S.......!

Do you have faith that apple never stretches the truth at all???
-Not really, that is why we should be comunicating to show them we there are smart buyers in the street.

You know,like"ahem!"four usb ports,one of which gets used up in order to plug in the keyboard which sports two of them=three usable usb ports,unless you are ok using your computer without a keyboard,in which case you only get two usb ports.=B.S.
-Not exactly B.S. it have allways been like that some how. The Power PC 9600 had 6 PCI slots and one of them was for the video card, even there was room in the internal chasis for the video card, so you got 5 PCI slots, that is B.S.

Dual monitor support?Sure,if you happen to have an "Apple" monitor and a VGA monitor,which is completely lame=more B.S.
-Tht is not the problem I see there, what I see is that I think you can do only video mirroing with them, I mean, not 2 independent video image, as far as I know.

80GB hard drive?Howabout 74.53GB "capacity"=+B.S.
-There you are completelly wrong, I have allways been like that. A portion of the hard drive (eather PC or Mac) holds the information of the formating and the file structure in the disc, you will always are gonna loose part of the disc after formating.

So now I am supposed to believe that my two chips run at exactly 1000mhz?,or that the bus speed actually makes it to a whopping 133mhz?
Or that they even bothered gluing on the dummy 2meg ddram level three cache chips?
-You may tell the speed specially if you do a render with After Effects or something like that, for some others funtions is gonna be a bit faster than usual.

I'm sure that if you think about it you can find even more evidence that Apple B.S.'s in their marketing strategies and product info statements.
_Yep, they usually do that.

Anyone else see any Apple B.S.?
-Yep, a lot, for example, why the las generation G3 powerbook (The Pismo) was 100Mhz system bus and the new generation powerbook (sorry, I mean iBook) still back to 66Mhz? if the technology is going foward whe still behind?

Let me tell you that is just merchandising technique, the only way to get around that if to be a "smart buyer", usually (in Apple) the last generation of any line is the best, do never get a first generation computer, they hardly survive the evolution.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Um, to answer your question. NO! Lets go one at a time here ok.
RedEye
1) USB Ports. Since you talk about four, I assume that you are talking about the new iMac. Lets see three on the base and two on the keyboard. You plug in the keyboard, and that leaves three. Plug in the mouse, and that leaves two. Apple doesn't say four ports after you plug in your mouse and keyboard, they just say four ports.

2) Monitors. Why would you want to have anything other than two Apple monitors. They are the best by far.

3) Hard Drive size. Every computer in the world uses hard drives that are sized based on unformatted specs. Go buy a 40 GB, format it, and stick it in your PC and you will only have about 37 - 38 GB of space. Don't blame Apple for this, it is the drive makers fault.

4) Processor speed, bus, cache. I would trust Apple a company that talks real performance before I would trust a company that talks about numbers that mean nothing.

RedEye, if you don't like Apple, go buy a Dell, and then lets talk about happiness.

------

MyMemory
Dude, what are you smoking? Lets go one at a time here.
1) Dual monitor support in the PowerMac line is dual monitor, as in two desktops not mirroring. Same with the PowerBook. The iMac and iBook mirror and the professional machines allow for two desktops.

2) PowerBook bus. Here you really loose me. Your pismo was a 100 MHZ bus, and the new PowerBook is a 66? What the Fu*k! Dude the low end PowerBook is 100MHZ and the high end 667 is a 133MHZ. The 500 MHZ iBook is 66 MHZ and the 600 MHZ iBook is 100 MHZ.

Don't know if this was error on your part, but if you don't know the facts either check them out or ask.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Dumb.

Your USB and harddrive examples are as lame as they come.

USB is expandable through hubs, and most Apple keyboards come with a couple of USB ports on them. So you can plug a keyboard into one of the four ports on the back, plug your mouse into one of the ports on your keyboard, and still have an open port on the keyboard. That leaves: 3 on the back + 1 on the keyboard = 4.

Every computer in the world advertises the original size of the hard drive PRE-formatting. I don't know what world you've been living in, but every filesystem I know of needs space to define directory structures and file locations/identifiers. Maybe its magical new MS filesystem that requires no diskspace overhead. I think you should call Apple, Dell, Compaq, etc. and alert them to this grievous error. Ha!

Displays I can identify with your frustration, but the problem is not insurmountable. Every company needs marketing stretches and Apple (being the underdog) probably needs more than other computer makers. Fortunately their technology reduces their need for exaggeration. You, my friend, need to check with reality.

Matthew

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I understand some of your Complaints, but to call them B.S. is a little drastic.

4 USB Ports-
True, The iMac has 2 USB controllers, with three external Ports, and one internal (Which has the Modem Attached). But when you hook the keyboard one of the remaining three, you have 4 USB Ports Available (Imagine That! :D )
Less HD Space -
Personally I have hated this ever since buying 1MB disks for my old 386 formating them and finding out that it is actually 720KB. Disk and Drive Manufactures Devide the Bite Totals by 1000 rather than 1024 and gives us the totals in and incorrect number of GB available.
Monitors-
All of Apples Pro lines (Powerbook/Power Mac) automatically have independent monitor connections so you don't have video mirroriing (Heck, my PBG4 can have 3 Screens attached and each can show a different pard of the Desktop or all the same :D )
Only the "i" series has only video mirroring available.

Another B.S. We can Straighten Out??

TEG

Lister: "You are what you are. Wasn't it Descartes who said I am what I am?"
Rimmer: "No that was Popeye the Sailor Man."

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Hard drive makers list the size as being 1000MB=1GB which is not the same as what the computers see (1024MB=1GB). THAT is where you loose most of the size, not through the formatting.

As for the speed of the chips... 99% of the time when I check a processor (through a third party utility) it is either what Apple says it is, or within 1MHz of that. That is a h*ll of a lot better then what intel does. You get a 900MHz P(n) and you probably will have something like 888 or such.

For monitors... There are adapters so that you can use a fresh off the lot Mac with any monitor you want. If you have two non-Apple monitors, then get the ADC to DVI adapter and then a DVI to VGA adapter, although I seem to remember there being a single ADC to VGA adapter somewhere out there. The second monitor can plug directly into the video card.

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
nope,they say four usb.....

Just to clarify,I am refering to the new G4.(four usb ports?,Dual monitor support?,two chips run at exactly 1000mhz? etc.)(youbuncha-imaconlyheads!)
The Apple product info pages clearly state that the G4 towers come equiped with four usb ports!(no hub included,mrtrumbe!)

As far as Hard drive space is concerned,74.53 gigabytes is 5.47gb less than 80gb(that's a lot of space missing!) ,so why not manufacture the drives oversize in order to actually deliver the advertised 80gb to the consumer?

"quote"
"2) Monitors. Why would you want to have anything other than two Apple monitors. They are the best by far."
sure,Backtothemac,If you're made of money,and also never want to play games.smeeeeaar......
I had to purchace a second video card with my G4 that came equiped with a "oooooooh!"Geforce 4MX,that was lacking any usable dual monitor support,in order to be able to use my existing VGA monitors.....annoying!
!
Seems like,for $5,000 Can.,I should be getting exactly what is advertised and then another+15%!!!!!,not-15%,which is the reality!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: nope,they say four usb.....

Originally posted by rEd Eye
Just to clarify,I am refering to the new G4.(four usb ports?,Dual monitor support?,two chips run at exactly 1000mhz? etc.)(youbuncha-imaconlyheads!)
The Apple product info pages clearly state that the G4 towers come equiped with four usb ports!(no hub included,mrtrumbe!)

As far as Hard drive space is concerned,74.53 gigabytes is 5.47gb less than 80gb(that's a lot of space missing!) ,so why not manufacture the drives oversize in order to actually deliver the advertised 80gb to the consumer?

Listen up ya mook.... If you counted the total ports on the system, or bothered to read what Apple puts on their web site, they state two on the computer and two on the keyboard totalling FOUR.

As for hard drive sizes... If you went to your computer's Apple System Profiler, selected 'Devices and Volumes' then toggled the arrow for your hard drive (the first one) you will see the size is most likely larger then 80GB. I just did it on mine, and the size lists as (and I am typing this exactly as it has it)...
Size: 61.48 GB (1K=1000)
Capacity: 57.26 GB (1K=1024)

Apple is NOT lying, nor are the drive makers. The drive makers use Gigglebites where the computer uses Gigabytes. Both can use the GB for abreviations.

And under 5.5GB 'missing' on an 80GB drive is not a hell of a lot of space... About 6% give or take a percent.

As far as I have seen, you are the only person to whine about a mere 6% of drive space that you will probably never miss. If you are that hard up for storage, get another drive and put it in on top of the 80GB. Just stop complaining about something that should be a non-issue.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
My favorite piece of Apple BS: 5-hour battery life in the TiBook. Sure, if you're running OS 9, have the display as dim as it can go, have the hard disk spun down, don't have a CD in the drive, and are leaving the machine idle...

Okay, so they do say "up to" 5 hours, but in my experience, in OS X, even 4 is stretching it.

Most companies do this, and hopefully most customers are intelligent enough to anticipate it, but it does get annoying constantly hearing about the G4s being supercomputer-class and whatnot.

Alex

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I have to say I am sorry to everyone here for how elementary this will be.

1) Let's see two on the computer and two on the keyboard = 4
2) Last time I checked Apple doesn't make Hard Drives. (side note: my 80 GB IBM in my Athlon 1400 says 74.53 avail).
3) If you want dual monitors get the card that supports it.
4) IF YOU DON'T LIKE APPLE, DON'T BUY THEIR PRODUCTS!

It is so crazy to bitc# about something that you, yes you, as a consumer has control over. That is the beautiful thing about an open marketplace. Sell your G4, I am sure there are plenty of people who would love to have that beast of a machine. If you doubt the product, then don't friggin buy it. No company is perfect, no computer is perfect, but like I said in my first post, go buy a PC and deal with Dell or Gateway, and then we will talk.

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Ohhhh, a G4 TOWER

Thanks for eventually coming out and saying what system you are talking about.

If you put that in your original posting, it would have made a little more sense.

:rolleyes:

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Quark,I did refer to a lot of specs that the imac does not have......anyways..~
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote,Backtothemacsaid:
"I have to say I am sorry to everyone here for how elementary this will be.

1) Let's see two on the computer and two on the keyboard = 4 "

Minus one on the computer to plug in the the two on the keyboard!
Don't you get it?The G4 tower only has two usb ports,however you gain an extra one by plugging in your keyboard,which equals three usable usb ports.
Apple advertises four!
This is misleading information for(eg.) a consumer whom owns four usb peripherals,and is buing the G4 tower so that they can plug them all in.
Marketing is all about glamorizing the product,and what I am saying is that Apple is no better than the rest of them,in this rat race for the product spotlight.
We are all suckers for the BS!

(see under heading:pOWERFUL NEW FEATURES AND OPTIONS)
rhttp://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/73/wo/S9JDY1RgtySesugPYZ/0.3.0.3.30.31.0.1.3.1.3.1.1.0?122,66

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
What about the pipeline issue with a mac? ... is that b.s.?

by the way alpha tech...cool avatar!! Congrats on finnaly achieving that level!

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
what's the freakin point of arguing about usb ports? i bought my g4 so i could make videos, do normal computer stuff and learn about the mac

i'm happy. if you aren't go buy some Piece of Crap

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
4 USB ports

I believe Apple was referring to 4 USB ports when used with an Apple Display. When an Apple LCD Display is plugged in via and ADC connection, it has two USB ports on the back of it that dont have a cord running to take up one of the ports on the back of the computer. When you plug in the keyboard in the monitor, without a mouse there are now 5 USB PORTS!!!!. With the mouse its back to 4. Added to that, if you are plugging in more than 2 USB devices, you should already own a hub cause they are cheap and very useful, I've had one since I put a USB card in my Power Tower Pro back in 99. Now with my Dual 800, I still use the same hub. Also, if you have a new G4, all cards that come with it support dual displays. You can connect a VGA display to any one of the cards, and if you get an adapter, plug another VGA display to the ADC port since it carries analog or digital video. About Hard Disk space, everyone else said what I was, that's how Hard Disk sizes have been reported ALWAYS. The computer manufactorer is not responsible for how a HD manufactorer labels their drives, plus its the standard way of reporting size cause in reality that is the amount of space on it. When anything is formatted, space is used to store the file directory catalog and all that useful stuff, any system has that. I'm happy with my Dual 800 as people are happy with their Dual 1 GHz. Oh, speaking of speed, the 133 MHz system bus doesnt mean the processor runs at that, the processor runs at a multiplier of that system bus speed, and yes they are actual 1 GHz, not some bull**** that Sonnet pulled with their 500 MHz G3 upgrades being rated at only 466 MHz. Anyways, you should do more research before you invest in a computer, so then you can avoid a. looking like an idiot when you bitch about what you bought and b. dont buy something you dont want because you didnt know what it had or didnt.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Thanks krossfyter, it is just something I wipped together before leaving work tonight. It's about how I felt after working on a pc for a few hours (installing a new os and such for a user who returns tomorrow).

I am searching for something better, but haven't looked too much yet.

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
" Anyways, you should do more research before you invest in a computer, so then you can avoid a. looking like an idiot when you bitch about what you bought and b. dont buy something you dont want because you didnt know what it had or didnt."

Hmmmmm...I don't feel like an idiot,and I know exactly what I'm buying.I think Apple is a complete rip-off,but I'm addicted to the software that I cannot run under windoze.
However,according to my benchmarks,My ?ASUS/AMD 1333mhz system is still 30% faster,in the situations that pertain to me, than my G4,running on a 1ghz chip in OS9.
Audio rendering is faster,game frame rates are still better on the PC.Boot-up is way faster,everything is snappier etc etc..and it only cost a $1,000 can.,rather than $5,000 can. for the G4 system.
Damn software,cause I would otherwise happily leave this overpriced proprietory mac scene behind otherwise.
My bitch is that Apple still cuts little corners and charges too much for the little things,makes such a big deal out of things that aren't so big and charges 3-4X more for the disposable,non recyclable and non optional package that Really doesn't have much more going for it in comparison to other products,except that it looks pretty and doesn't take as long to learn(OS9,not OSX,cause this OS is definately not "child"friendly!)!

SUCKER!(me too lol)

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
just curious, how does a new G4 Dual 1 GHz cost $5000. I looked at both Apple and at Macmall.com and the high-end stock of this machince is $2999 which includes a lot

GeForce 4MX
512 Mb ram
80 GB HD
Superdrive.

What are you adding to it to upped the cost to $5000. More ram you obviously do not buy direct, you goto OWC. no real need for a new video card, but thats only at most $300. Now if you're going into professional gear like for pro tools or avid, etc. That gear costs the same for either PC or mac, and will add you up to a lot more than $5000. Obviously you're not buying a monitor cause you only want to use your current VGA monitors. Only thing left to add up your cost is to get a SCSI array, again only needed if you're doing Video other than DV, like working at D1 NTSC with Real Time, or a very high end pro tools or other Audio System with needs to play 32 tracks simultaniously.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
zip it...

rEd Eye, you ARE bitchin and moaning over things that you will see NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF COMPUTER YOU GET.... did I say that loud enough to get through that protruding brow of yours????

If you are so unhappy with the Mac, then keep your stinkin peecee and leave.

As for over priced... get back to use in say four or five years when you have had to rip the guts out of that peecee just to enable you to run something close to current for an OS.

Do you think we even care what you claim about your peecee for benchmarks??? We don't. I use my Mac for 99% of what I do. Everything from scanning in images (either prints or negatives) to going online. Any real work is done on the Mac since it does it about 200x easier and better then the peecee. The ONLY thing I have a peecee for (I built the things so I know EXACTLY what is inside it, unlike the factory peecee boxes) is games. I might have powered it up three times in the past month and a half, if that. I use the Mac daily.

If all you care about is what it cost you, then go and get what you can afford, but remember... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!.

Prime example, my neighbor has a PowerPC system (7100/66) that he still uses. I am upgrading SOME of his hardware so that he can get another few years out of it. The motherboard is dated from 1994. How many peecee's are out there and fully usable/functional from that year????? What are they doing, holding doors open??? As for the upgrades.. it is just a matter of some extra memory, and giving him a larger hard drive. He is also getting a faster modem so that he can go online easier. All fairly minor items compared to what you would need to do to a peecee.

Before you start opening that hole you call a mouth, I am a tech, I DO know what I am talking about so shut it. You have no idea what kind of problems you encounter when you want to update the os of a two or three year old peecee to win2k. Bios updates out the whazoo, IF you are lucky they will allow you to install the newer version. You can almost gurantee that you will need to set aside a minimum of a half day, if not more to get it all done. Then there are the 'critical updates' all over the place because windowz has so many holes in it. Then service packs to make it somewhat stable... the list goes on and on and on and on.....

You may not feel like an idiot, but you sure as hell sound like one to all of us.

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
red eye, man you gotta be a boofhead. 11-28-2001 you posted about apple being 150% more $'s then pc's. your 1333 pc blew away your g4 400. you said goodbye to apple....
...."ciao apple"......man didn't you get sucked in by the mighty apple marketing machine. they got you. you came back to apple for the multitude of usb ports. not anything else......USB PORTS.....you got sucked in .....the 4 ports weren't really 4 ports, cause when you use them there is less then 4.....bummer. what tha **** does anybody use usb for any way. as for the rest of your bleat....if you are just discovering the real world size of drives.....man forget it. i'm just so happy you discovered the 4 usb's that aren't really 4. thanks, i never knew.....
better get a lawyer son, better get a real good one.

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
WOW!What A riley bunch o mac-rightious *******S hang out here!
Don't get me wrong,I actually REALLY like my overpriced G4$5000+(CANADIAN$$$,learn how to read abrv.),but I'm starting to get the feeling that some of you could really use a trip up to the surface for some fresh air and sunshine someday!It's getting a little sour in here!
(or do you all just work for Apple,so I'm pissin'in your tea?)
You would think that I just walked ino a white supremists meeting and stated that Jesus was an African American.
Wanks!

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
you are a good laugh red eye.
you don't realise how funny some of your complaints are. usb.
man, steve should get you to do the warm up for the expo's.
hey.....when is 4 not 4? when it is a usb...[crowd at mwny goes wild...].....thanks...thanks.....i've been red eye....NOW HERE'S STEEEEEEEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! [crowd now in frenzy]
you are pulling in some diverse topics, a long way from usb and undersized drives. white supremists/african americans/jesus.
i'm struggling to connect any of the posts to racist comments. come on man, you gotta do better than finishing up with....."wanks".....feeble. make us laugh how about something classy like....do you want cheese and biscuits with that whine?
keep 'em coming.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
What about Firewire?
What about the Superdrive?
What about having an OS you can depend on day-in and day-out?

Mac propietary??? Please, M$ is as proprietrary as all hell, and they're in COURT right now because of it!!!

PC trolls must be banned!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
micro$oft is a monopoly...

How do you expect people to react when you come in whining and compaining about NON-ISSUES!!! booo hooo they lied about the size of my drive... waaaaaaa they lied about how many USB ports are on the computer....

As for overpriced... as it was so well put in the South Park movie... 'Blame Canada..."

ya smeg head... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.