Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
APPLE COMPUTER COMPANY INTRODUCES NEW LINE OF MACINTOSH COMPUTERS...
"We decided to put 127 USB ports on every mac AFTER all included equipment was plugged in. That way people will not have to ever spend 20 dollars on a Belkin hub to connect devices." -Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

Known Apple critic John C Dvorak was quoted as saying, "Now Apple has finally done something that will make it popular in the PC computing industry. By giving us all of these ports, they have made their computers huge ugly devices that have a pile of cables under the desk. In addition, it saves users money, and that is what computing is all about, saving money here and now, not in the long run."

Hey Redeye, if you give me your address, I will buy you a hub. :p

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Hemingray

All of this is true. But I'm being the "consumer advocate" here. Apple touts simplicity and the digital hub, and yet if I were two go get three USB devices (not that I actually would!) but just say, three devices that Apple sports in their digital hub strategy, I would have to buy a hub.

More later. (Gotta go.)

So????? Your point being???? Did you intend to say 'to go get' or 'two (as in 2) go'??

English should not be a foreign language in the US... or are we dealing with grammar school kids????

If Apple included more ports, the people that make the hubs would be screaming at them. The hubs are cheap enough, unless you a tight wad. In which case, you will never buy the good devices, you will never be happy with the computer, but you will blame the computer maker for charging too much and giving too little.... hmmmm, sounds like redeye to me. :D

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Can you say:

HOT SWAP?.........plug......unplug........plug..........unplug........plug.......unplug.
ooooohhhh so hard. I think I may go insane at the lack of adressing and restarts. I think all this switching plugs may be wearing away my prized beer-gut.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Can you say:

Originally posted by mischief
HOT SWAP?.........plug......unplug........plug..........unplug........plug.......unplug.
ooooohhhh so hard. I think I may go insane at the lack of adressing and restarts. I think all this switching plugs may be wearing away my prized beer-gut.

ROTFLMAO!!!!! So well put... Apple has achieved a level of plug n' play that window$ only dreams of....

Maybe I should get some more devices to help reduce my brick bustin gut... Nahhhhh, I'll let the Harley do that... since I will wait on getting a windshield for a while :D *hearing 'getcha motor running' in my head and happy about it :D*

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Who's the trolls!!

At least I'm not the only"troll",who's having a good time dropping"bait"in this forum.Funny thing about trolls,The more of them that there are in one place,the less they consider themselfes to be trolls.It's always amazing how topics that give people a chance to prove how right they are always take off,and become popular.Does anyone have any idea what your discussing here?Or why?Or are you just happily ignoring the valid details that make perfect sense in order to fule this little flame war against me?

btw Hemingray,this is not agood time to agree with any of my points,or anything for that matter, regarding Apple's misleading consumer information(original concept of this thread),because all anyone here wants is fresh meat to flame!

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
OK that's it the gloves are off. Dude, you have gone to far. Don't you realize that Apple is like a Mom to us Macheads? You sit here and talk about Apple's misleading customer information, and you are full of ****! The fact is that ALL, listen close, ALL computer companies quote the number of Ports on the machine. They of course may be filled with devices when you get your system. According to what you are saying, you should be bent out of shape because you 4X AGP slot comes with a card in it.

Like a pissy little girl, you are bitching about stuff that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Hard drive is not 80GB but 74.5 (or whatever you said), three available usb ports instead of four, is my processor really 1GHZ. Dude, I have not seen someone cry so badly about nothing since the third grade when this little girl Marie Robbins started crying because it was raining.
Actually, I have figured out who you are, you have to Michael Dell, because only he can cry like this. The point is, get friggin over it, return your G4 and go buy a new Dell with two USB ports, then plug in your keyboard and mouse, and you will have one as the mouse plugs into the keyboard, but I guess you already know that don't you Mike.

Again, give me an address, I will buy you a hub. Open up your case and call the company that made the Hard drive and bitch. Get some tools and test your processor, but for the love of God, SHUT UP!

Lets use our collective powers and end this stupid A$$ thread, regardless of how entertaining it is. ;)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
What happened to the discussion???

rEd Eye-
How about you answer some of the questions put to you here in the forum? You've gone so far off on your diatribe that you can't find your way back.

Instead of complaining about being flamed for your incessantly idiotic views, why don't you try to be a part of the discussion?

Do you have any idea what we are discussing here???

Do we use too many big words???
Let me simplify for your woefully inadequate intellect:
USB, how many fingers?

Go get a wah-burger and some french-cries...

Bring it.

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Very eloquently spoken there,Rower_CPU dude.
Obviously,judging by the slew of insults you just threw at me,you have absolutely no interest in hearing what I'm saying.And if you were interested,you would have bothered to actually read some of my posts as of yet.
Glad your still having fun though!:D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Obviously if you had read any of my previous posts you would have seen that I've attempted to engage in discussion with you several times, to no avail. I've read every single one of your posts, and I'm trying to understand how you can contradict yourself with each post.
How about you go back through the thread and read my posts, and then we'll try this again.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
re: does your Lamborgini have the guts?

V12

5707cc

530bhp@7100RPM

603N.m@5500RPM

max spd.:185mph

0-60 3.9 sec

0-100 8.6 sec

weight: 3400lb.

Yeah, it has the guts. Stock in fact.

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
" rEd Eye-
How about you answer some of the questions put to you here in the forum?"

Ok,I suppose that for the intent with which I began this thread,I should have phased things a little less aggressively.My interest was in discussing.....

"Every company uses confusing/misleading language to try to make their product sound better than it really is",including Apple.

I for one,have always seen Apple as being a good solid stone to step on,however between the price of their machines,the completely prorietary infrastructure of the mac,and the fact that they haven't shown me that they are any better than any other corporation when it comes to being completely honest,and someone you can trust.I was interested in discussing this,because so many of us do see Apple as a solid friend who has our best interests in mind?Do they,or are we just another sucker,falling for the glamor and paying more than we should be for their products?
Everything Apple cost's too much.same brand Video cards are twice as much,The memory has gotten cheaper,but it still cost's quite a bit more.On average,you are going to pay 50%more for anything purchased through Apple from hardware to software.
Do you disagree?
"Mac propietary??? Please, M$ is as proprietrary as all hell, and they're in
COURT right now because of it!!! "
Hows this for propietary................
I myself own two Macs,and have been happy using them,apart from the price that I had to pay for them and the fact that I am obliged to own two licenses for OS9,one licence for OSX that I have no use for,two Apple ONE button mice,Two apple keyboards,two Apple supplied Cd rom/dvd rw etc,Two G4 cases w/power supply, two ethernet cards etc etc.As well as I had to buy another Seperate PCI graphics card,because of Apples propietary display connectors,advertised as "dual monitor support",but useless for me.When in reality the only new piece of hardware that makes a single difference to me is the new mobo and dual cpu's.I only use one machine,and now I have no choice but to sell the slower and all of it's components at a fraction of what I paid.
That's propietary!
Yes,I recognise that every hard drive,cd-rom ,dvd rom,floppy disk,and other forms of storage media manufacturer claims more storage than is actually available,I would just hope to see Apple as being the type of "user friendly"company that would be anxious to be one step above and happilly tell the consumer on the front page that they were actually receiving 74.53GB of storage space,so that no one who didn't know bwetter would ever have to wonder why they didn't receive the full 80GB drive.
I also do not believe that their product info for the DP G4's informs the average consumer that purchasing Dual CPU's will be redundant for most OS9 apps.Wonder if anyone has fallen in this trap yet?

And....of course............sigh!
Make up your mind... is it 3 or 4 ports that you don't agree with.

"Once you hook up your USB keyboard and mouse you have 3 ports left, just like you would with a PC. Leave off the mouse and you have 4...

What's the problem???"

On the tech specs page for the PowerMac G4 Apple says point blank:
Four USB ports (two on system, two on keyboard)
How is that misleading?"

I wish I could draw you a picture,and yes this is completely insignificant,and has nothing to do with why I bought my computer,but,dammit!the point has to be made.....?

point blank:
Four USB ports (two on system, two on keyboard)
Should say:
Three usb ports(two on the system,one of which is irrevocable consumed in order to gain access to the two keyboard ports.)
(you notice that I am not nit-picking about the one that is irrevocably consumed by the mouse,as a true hardcore could operate the entire system via keyboard.)
When you purchase a system with four usb ports,you get four,because you don't need to plug in a key board to access two of them,even though there is still only going to be three left that you can use for other things,after you plug in the keyboard..
It is not the fact of how many usable usb ports there actually is,It's the fact that the big lovable friend that we warmly refer to as better than the rest would try to make it appear as though there were actually four usable usb ports(if you happen to be not thinking!).
I very much feel that for the price of these systems,the consumer should be receivng more than they expected.
Honestly though,this usb thing was not on the top of my list of things to discuss here.nitpicnitpicnitpicnitpicnitpicetc.
My other points are more in my interest of discussion.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
redeyes... shut the hell UP!!!

Computer companies COMPETE with each other. If one went and said that the 80GB hard drive was really 74.5GB which one would you buy??? Most people would go with the one that claims to be larger (even the 5.5GB difference that DOESN'T EXIST).

As for the ports... get your head out of your a$$ and shaddap.

Oh, and as for this... "Everything Apple cost's too much.same brand Video cards are twice as much,The memory has gotten cheaper,but it still cost's quite a bit more.On average,you are going to pay 50%more for anything purchased through Apple from hardware to software." you couldn't be more wrong. UNLESS you actually go and get it from an Apple retail or online store. Anyone with more then two brain cells (that precludes you) knows to shop around. I don't buy memory from Apple, and I don't pay 50% more for anything just because it is for a Mac.

Again... get your head out of your a$$ and SHADDAP!!!! just zip it.. shhhh... give your one living brain cell a rest and shaddap.

Anyone else with me on this??? CAN WE PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD BEFORE DUMB-EYES... oops, I mean redeyes... tries to come up with something to say.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by AlphaTech

So????? Your point being???? Did you intend to say 'to go get' or 'two (as in 2) go'??

English should not be a foreign language in the US... or are we dealing with grammar school kids????

I made a typo.... OH GOD....! GOD, WHY!?!....

It's truly amazing what you'll pick on someone for. :rolleyes:

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
AlphaTech,You,must be a dis-gruntled Apple employee,you propietary supporting bastard!......
Sorry I had to touch you this way.
What a stupid waste of time trying to explain something so obvious to such a blinded person(s).
And yes,I've done all I am able to try and communicate my meaning to you.
sheeeesh!!!**** it!

THREAD CLOSED(you guys are welcome to have a few more free shots at me though,If you like?)THREAD CLOSED,as far as I am concerned.

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
redeye, didn't think you would have to back up anything did you. you're chevy V lamborgini stuff....just remember, sometime you're going to have to go round a corner or stop. goodluck. wakey wakey, hand off snakey.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
You're a complete idiot.

Originally posted by rEd Eye

...............the completely prorietary infrastructure of the mac ...............................Everything Apple cost's too much.same brand Video cards are twice as much,The memory has gotten cheaper,but it still cost's quite a bit more.On average,you are going to pay 50%more for anything purchased through Apple from hardware to software.........................................................
.......I myself own two Macs..................................................and the fact that I am obliged to own two licenses for OS9,one licence for OSX.........................two Apple ONE button mice,Two apple keyboards,two Apple supplied Cd rom/dvd rw etc,Two G4 cases w/power supply, two ethernet cards etc etc.As well as I had to buy another Seperate PCI graphics card,because of Apples propietary display connectors,advertised as "dual monitor support",.....................When in reality the only new piece of hardware that makes a single difference to me is the new mobo and dual cpu's.I only use one machine,and now I have no choice but to sell the slower and all of it's components at a fraction of what I paid.

I wouldn't say that a machine with AGP, PCI, 133DIMMs, USB, IEEE1394, 100/1000B-T Ethernet, a 56K modem and ATA-66 is proprietary considering those are ALL industry standards.

If you didn't assume that a machine that costs more costs more...........yer an idiot.

Are you complaining about having 3 system disks because they came with the machines or did you buy them yourself?

You can go to Apple's website and get a list of compatible drives if you want to install your own and any mouse or keyboard with USB will do.

I'm not sure what your complaint with the power supply and Ethernet is?

You can convert to VGA easily. Buying a new card proves you have a low threshold for cognative thought.

How are you "forced" to sell your old machine? If it's a G4 (which you seem to be implying) it should work with everything and be plenty quick for all but the most gawdawful rendering.

I think you just need to kidnap an engineer there Paklid.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Re: Still Trolling......hehe

Originally posted by rEd Eye
This came to $1010 US

Dude, you're a damn liar. I went to PriceWatch and priced the same hardware, cutting as many corners as I possibly could within the specifications you gave.

Here's what I found:

ASUS A7M266-D,266mhz system bus -- $208

Dual AMD 1200mhz -- 2x154 = $308 (you did get MP chips here, right?)

512mb ddram $119 (PC2100 -- elsewise your 266mhz bus is pointless)

80gb seagate IDE drive -- I won't make you factor in the cost of replacing this piece of crap in a few months. I'd have a Maxtor before a Seagate IDE. $106.

Quality cd-rom,floppy drive -- If "quality" means a $17 Creative Labs 48x drive, then here you go. The floppy drive can be had for $3.

Geforce 4MX video card -- $97, and don't even begin to compare a GeForce4 MX to a full GF4. They're not remotely in the same league.

10/100 ethernet(quality) -- Quality, schmality. You can pick up a crapola no-name card for $3, so that's what I did.

case w/350w power supply -- These can be had for as low as $28. I would expect the case to be an orange crate. No, wait, orange crates cost more.

5 port usb adapter -- No-name, twenty bucks.

mouse -- a dollar.

keyboard -- two bucks if you mention PriceWatch.

Windows XP pro -- $124 provided you buy it bundled with a new system, which you're not.

Final total: $1036 for a system I wouldn't wish on anyone, and which you couldn't actually get anyway, since you cheated on the OS pricing.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Hey Gelfin, if you swapped out the low quality parts, with actual good ones, the price tag goes through the roof.

A gigabit network card will run $125 or more (Netgear).

A quality cd-rom drive runs about $30 or so (one that will not explode from shattering your disc).

A superdrive will run somewhere in the area of $450-$600 (for an internal drive).

A nVidia GF 4MX400 (64MB) card runs about $125 (off brand, not one that I would trust).

I assume that you want some kinds of sound (other then the system beep on startup). A quality sound card (that won't cause system crashes left and right) runs about $100... if you don't care about being stable, then you can probably go for about $30.

win xp pro *shudder* while listed at $135, it requires to be sold with a system (OEM version). Real retail versions sell for $300 (includes the manul, which the OEM does not)

I have found that if you try to build a peecee that comes close to the Mac for real world spec's and use, it costs pretty much the same. Another problem that comes with building a peecee is that you are never really done. I know, since I am almost always tweaking the hardware in the one I built. Something newer, faster, better, is ALWAYS coming out a month or two after you installed a part. Updating the bios can be a real pain in the a$$... UNLIKE firmware updates on the Mac :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.