Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoonCow

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
how do i get rid of the history of every site i've ever been to popping up whenever i type a letter into the address bar?

i always delete my history and i've turned everything off in preferences i thought could have made this happen but nothing has worked.

you know, you type the letter a and everything from apple.com to whatever.com pops up

help! how do i turn this off? and get rid of it forever?

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
Think you need to turn on Private Browsing.

From Safari help:

"Protecting private information on shared computers
When you browse the Internet, Safari stores information about the websites you visit on your computer. That information can include the contents of the webpages you've viewed and any information you've entered at a site, such as usernames, passwords, and credit card numbers. Other people who use your computer may be able to view that information.

If you don't want Safari to store this information, you can turn on private browsing. When private browsing is turned on

Webpages are not added to the history. (You can still use the Back and Forward buttons to return to webpages you've viewed in a window.)
Items are automatically removed from the Downloads window when private browsing is turned off.
Information isn't saved for AutoFill, including names and passwords.
Searches are not added to the pop-up menu in the Google search field.
Cookies are deleted when private browsing is turned off.

To turn on private browsing, choose Safari > Private Browsing.

To turn off private browsing, choose Safari > Private Browsing again, and close any windows you've used to view private information. (Other users can view pages you've visited in any open window by using the Back and Forward buttons.)

Private browsing is always turned off when you open Safari, even if it was on when you last quit Safari."

MoonCow

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
i'm pretty sure that's just the google bar

edit - i turned on private browsing, it did nothing.

MoonCow

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
this is terrible, i deleted all the cookies, nothing is workking, you have this problem too don't you?

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
MoonCow said:
how do i get rid of the history of every site i've ever been to popping up whenever i type a letter into the address bar?

i always delete my history and i've turned everything off in preferences i thought could have made this happen but nothing has worked.

you know, you type the letter a and everything from apple.com to whatever.com pops up

help! how do i turn this off? and get rid of it forever?

Try the new Firefox 2.0 for OS X. Its "clear private data" feature is quite reliable.

Avenger23

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Clovis, NM
MoonCow,
Are you sure that the addresses that are popping up when you type in the address bar are the saved bookmarks on your machine? I cleared all my settings here for Safari, and when I type on my MBP, I only get URL's for my saved bookmarks/RSS feeds and not the pages that have previously been visited that were wiped out from clearing the history/cache...

Just throwing that out there to see if it helps... :)

Avenger23

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.