Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
I've just installed VPC5 and to get my Internet connection working, I need to enable DHCP via the PC. From what I can tell, it is. But I'm used to user friendly Internet settings, not the nested and confusing settings of Windows.

So, if you were running Win98 and needed to enable DHCP, where would you go and what would you do?

I know this is kind of a PC question, but it has to do with VPC so I guess I can ask it here... :)

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
um...

start menu>settings (or control panel or something like that)>network> double click on the ethernet or modem card> DHCP> change the settings> youre done!

hope this helps.

and no, im not a PC freak, i jus happen to know.

irmongoose

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Thanks. I'll give it a go next time I'm at that machine again, but I think I've already tried that.

Dammit. VPC has always worked with my internet connection without a problem, and now all of a sudden it's making life difficult. Grrr. >(

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
DHCP is accessible from the mac. I can't see why you would need VPC to access a DHCP server unless you have a more complex server setup (like wins or summut like that)

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
try going to the "settings" of your win98.. you should see an option called "networking" or something similar. then pick the option "virtual switch". it uses the same IP address (like DHCP) as the mac its running on.. hope that helps

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
I know DHCP is accessible from the Mac, but VPC5 needs you to set up the PC to use DHCP so it knows to use the Mac's DHCP stuffs.

Anyway, thanks everyone. I got it to work. I had already done everything everyone here suggested, so I reinstalled VPC5, and voila, everything suddenly worked fine. Sweet.

Thanks again, everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.