PDA

View Full Version : Keep 12inch PowerBook or Get Mac Mini?

PkennethV
Oct 26, 2006, 11:52 PM
I plan to be getting the new 17inch C2 MBP this christmas to "replace" my powerbook. I've just moved to a new country (Canada, from Thailand) and I am working out a solution for TV, DVD and vids on my computer, or rather my EHD. I *was* thinking of getting the 1.66 ghz macmin (intel) and hook it up to a display (Using eyeTV which I already have to watch TV). What I just thought of is I could just use my 12 inch PB (not sell it) and not get the mac mini. What I am wondering is does the 12 inch PB handle HD playback as well (or better) than the MacMini? I could install FrontRow on my PB and use a wireless keyboard insted of the apple remote, but I'v heard that FrontRow is MUCH slower than on the Intel comps. So what I'm asking is if getting a MacMini (and selling my PB) or keeping my PB would be better for my needs.

thanks for any ideas

Cameront9
Oct 26, 2006, 11:57 PM
I plan to be getting the new 17inch C2 MBP this christmas to "replace" my powerbook. I've just moved to a new country (Canada, from Thailand) and I am working out a solution for TV, DVD and vids on my computer, or rather my EHD. I *was* thinking of getting the 1.66 ghz macmin (intel) and hook it up to a display (Using eyeTV which I already have to watch TV). What I just thought of is I could just use my 12 inch PB (not sell it) and not get the mac mini. What I am wondering is does the 12 inch PB handle HD playback as well (or better) than the MacMini? I could install FrontRow on my PB and use a wireless keyboard insted of the apple remote, but I'v heard that FrontRow is MUCH slower than on the Intel comps. So what I'm asking is if getting a MacMini (and selling my PB) or keeping my PB would be better for my needs.

thanks for any ideas

Front Row on a 12in Powerbook is going to be unsupported, at least until Leopard... HD Playback is going to be poor, too. 480p at the most... I would go with the Mac Mini...