PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 7 update destroyed my iPod hardware?

Poohjlv
Oct 30, 2006, 01:46 PM
Here's my story:

After downloading the iTunes 7 update, I plug in to update my iPod. It sucessfully updates. I unplug it and there is no music on it. I restore it only to get the folder with the !. For about a week I get the error message that I cannot eject it because the files are in use by another application. For another week, I get the message that the disk is not mounted, cannot be written to or read and cannot be restored.

I have tried every restore and erase trick. I called Apple and they said that there is nothing they can do because the hard drive is bad.

During these two weeks of trying to restore it, whenever the iPod had power, it would show the apple on screen, then the folder with the !, then it would abruptly stop spinning and restart. It would go on this cycle until it lost power.

Don't you think that two weeks of this destructive spinning would ruin a perfectly good hard drive? Now apple will not cover the damages.

Does this seem like a logical conclusion or am I coming from left field? Any suggestions? I really don't think I should have to pay for damages caused by Apple's faulty product. The technician on the phone said that the licensing agreement says something along the lines that I can't be gauranteed the safety of my iPod's hardware while using this software. Does anyone have a copy of the licensing agreement?

Thanks.

dwishbone
Oct 30, 2006, 02:28 PM
i assume its not under warranty so i wont ask...

i would try to first:
1. let the iPod battery completey die or either detach the battery internally to make sure there is a complete reset of the system

2. after this try to restore off your original software and not the one built into iTunes

then if successful upgrade it again via iTunes

another thing you may want to try is hooking it into a PC to do the firmware update if the mac wont recognize it. there may even be something wrong with the mac currently thats preventing the iPod from being recognized.

barnacle
Oct 31, 2006, 06:42 AM
almost the same thing happened to me. once i did the ipod update to 1.2, everything went whack-o.
i did all the 5 r's they want you to do, a bunch of times with no luck.
this one is only 2 months old so i am doing the next batch of r's.
remove from my possesion
repack for shipment
resend to apple service
recieve from apple service {in short time i hope}
reconnect to system
reload music
remove nasty backup cd player from system
resume enjoying

it starts the first leg of it's adventure today.

question for wishbone,, how do you restore "off your original software and not the one built into itunes?"

dwishbone
Oct 31, 2006, 07:15 AM
some ipods (if not all...cant remember if my 5G came with it or not) came with a CD with an iPod Software Restore on it. you may also be able to get a standalone software update off Apple's site.
I was just saying to use a standalone installer than the one built into iTunes.

barnacle
Oct 31, 2006, 07:38 AM
hmmmmm,, too late now but i will have to check. i thought my cd was only itunes?{5g video}
thanks for the idea tho.

spencecb
Oct 31, 2006, 12:05 PM
I haven't had any issues with my iPod with iTunes 7, but it did destroy my iMac's ability to use iTunes 7. I can't even open the App without it crashing.

I have since downgraded to iTunes 6. And this sucks, because I had grow accustomed to the new features of iTunes 7, primarily the gapless playback. I'm not updating the library on my iPod until there is an update to iTunes 7 so I can reinstall it to see if the problems have been fixed.

dwishbone
Oct 31, 2006, 01:39 PM
did you try trashing all of the iTunes 7 related files such as its .plist, etc?
that usually fixes "crash on open" bugs with most programs.