PDA

View Full Version : iPod Shuffle 1GB 2ndGen Arrived!!

Trishul
Nov 1, 2006, 06:49 AM
Just thought i'd post some 'real' world pics and comparison to Nano and 5G.

Can confirm old style iPod earphones with the foam pads included not the newer ones. The build quality is very solid, is same material as new iPod nanos, though i imagine will pick up scratches from keys etc.. quite easily, though what do you expect. Plugs into the dock very nicely with the usual apple satisfying click of their connectors. The sliding buttons (shuffle/power off/on) are easy to use, can use it blindly very easily. The clip is VERY sturdy, i really can't see it falling off that easily, attatches to the bottom of my t-shirt very nicely, it just attatches nicely to everything. It's light, but still has some weight, it definately won't pull off your earphones, especially if they are in-ear, i can hang them quite easily.

Overall i can really see this being the No.1 stocking filler this Xmas, they are going to be huge (in a small kind of way :) [kill me now]), people are going to want one without even knowing what they do, they are that sexy. I imagine you could snap off the clip, to make for a seriously tiny MP3 player, but you would have to be mental to do that (and very strong).

added pic of my sister modelling the shuffle as a hairclip/mp3 player as suggested by prady16. though she wouldn't be seen dead like that, she says it is perfectly feasible :D

Chimera
Nov 1, 2006, 06:52 AM
overall i can really see this being the no.1 stocking filler this Xmas, they are going to be huge, people are going to want one without even knowing what they do.

Congrats, looks like you are one of the first in the world to get your shuffle! It looks really great, much better than my old shuffle.

sushi
Nov 1, 2006, 06:53 AM
Soooo cool! :)

I'm jealous. None here in Japan it seems. :(

brikeh
Nov 1, 2006, 06:57 AM
Eeeew whats with the Acer laptop? :rolleyes:

Trishul
Nov 1, 2006, 07:01 AM
Eeeew whats with the Acer laptop? :rolleyes:

it was the closest thing to the front door :cool:
it shall be disposed off post haste. :)

ImNoSuperMan
Nov 1, 2006, 07:06 AM
Congrats Trishul. I`d love to get one for me asap. Just waiting for it to arrive in India....

(BTW R u n indian?)

brikeh
Nov 1, 2006, 07:06 AM
it was the closest thing to the front door :cool:
it shall be disposed off post haste. :)

Eeeeexcellent(Mr. Burns pose) :D

liketom
Nov 1, 2006, 07:12 AM
nice pics - mines at home waiting for me to open it :)

Trishul
Nov 1, 2006, 07:52 AM
just spent 5 minutes trying to convince my sister it's an actual mp3 player and not a remote control. :)

yep vikas i am indian :)

sierra oscar
Nov 1, 2006, 07:54 AM
I just love that tablecloth!
Thanks for the shuffle pics - nice

Jackie.Cane
Nov 1, 2006, 08:00 AM
It's so tiny! :eek:

Mine should be here today!

Fillado
Nov 1, 2006, 08:12 AM
Got mine today (UK), a bit of a shame it comes with the old style headphones but it's just sooooooo damn tiny :D

naraic
Nov 1, 2006, 08:20 AM
Damn, can't wait to get mine, its supposed to be arriving tomorrow

niuniuwong
Nov 1, 2006, 08:25 AM
Got mine today (UK), a bit of a shame it comes with the old style headphones but it's just sooooooo damn tiny :D

I am sure a lot of ppl would like to know how does the 2G shuffle sound? Just as good as the 1G? Better than the Nano?

Fillado
Nov 1, 2006, 08:32 AM
Wouldn't know, the only other iPod I own is a 4G Standard :p

http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/5876/yayzw1.th.jpg (http://img346.imageshack.us/my.php?image=yayzw1.jpg)

The 3rd option there makes me give Apple a very big hug :D :D

dmw007
Nov 1, 2006, 08:33 AM
Nice pictures Trishul, it really makes the iPod Shuffle 2G look tiny. :D :)

themanfromvlad
Nov 1, 2006, 08:38 AM
So it is confirmed that it comes with the old heaphones. This contradicts what iLounge had been saying since the new shuffle was announced.

wwooden
Nov 1, 2006, 08:42 AM
These new shuffles look great, but I just don't think they are as practical as the old ones. They were great because the dock was built into the player. I could really never use this one to transfer files to and from work without either spending money to buy a second dock, or carrying the one with me every time. I think Apple made a pretty big sacrifice with the new shuffles.

But I do love the clip, so much easier to carry around.

Pics are great. Thanks for sharing.

Trishul
Nov 1, 2006, 08:52 AM
okay plugged upto computer (windows), as usual windows didn't officially recognise the drivers, anyway pressed 'continue anyway', and all is okay.

this is my first shuffle so sorry if i mention common features. It took pretty much exactly 4 mins to fill the shuffle, 140 songs, though most of my stuff is 192-320VBR. There is an option that will convert songs to 128AAC or 192, i can't remember, anyway looked like a good thing if you want quantity over quality, not sure if its common for shuffles. Also the volume limit can be set through itunes. Can also 'partition', and allocate space that would be used for music, and for other data for use as disk drive. And you can make itunes choose from playlists etc..

sound quality - this is just from a few songs and just from a brief comparison, using Shure E2C earphones (highly recommended btw), the sound quality is good, i seriously wouldn't expect more than something this size. Comparing with 1G Nano, i'd put it on par, the nano might have a slight edge, but i think the average listener won't find much between them. There is the same fuzziness at high volumes as with the nano, but the sound doesn't distort, also of note, the volume can go VERY high. Plugged upto Bose Companion III, and the sound is clean and clear at high volumes. The sound obviously isn't as good as a 5G, and i can't compare with a 1G Shuffle, but i am very happy with the sound quality, and while i wouldn't call myself an audiophile, i am someone who is able to appreciate sound quality etc..

just played a bit of classical music, and am very impressed, by far the best sounding mp3 player i've heard at this size, really didn't expect it to sound this good!!

ero87
Nov 1, 2006, 09:03 AM
OP: do you like that CableYoYo? It looks cool!

anyone else know any good cable-management products?

pianoman
Nov 1, 2006, 11:01 AM

i don't much care for those headphones. i like my in-ear headphones but i've yet to try the new "standard" ones.

of course, for serious listening, i have noise-cancelling over-the-ear headphones. i only use the in-ear ones at the gym.

ClassicFitness
Nov 1, 2006, 11:08 AM
You just convinced me with these pics. I know where I'll be Friday evening!!:cool:

interlaced
Nov 1, 2006, 11:09 AM
oh my god. that picture of your sister is great. i can't wait til more people get their shuffles. then we can start a thread in the picture gallery called "most random places you've clipped your ipod shuffle". :D

Spanky Deluxe
Nov 1, 2006, 12:34 PM
My housemate just got one delivered today. He had no idea they weren't shipping yet and didn't realise that he's one of the first in the world to get one! He only ordered last Thursday or Friday. Not bad!

liketom
Nov 1, 2006, 12:41 PM
sweet little thing :D shame about the old headphones , they look retro now:rolleyes:

stealthman1
Nov 2, 2006, 01:16 PM
Wow! It's finally here and damn it is small. Apple should sell 50 million of these alone.:rolleyes: :D

dual64bit
Nov 2, 2006, 01:37 PM
Here are my pictures:

musicpenguy
Nov 2, 2006, 02:43 PM
This is freaking sweet. So small, and beautiful and very useful.

This is pure apple
I love this thing!

beatzfreak
Just got mine!!!

It's soooooo tiny.

naraic
My iPod Shuffle arrived today... wow it is small!!!!! ^_^

Kinda disappointed about the old school headphones though - i was looking forward to a change. i'm syncing it now... there has already been a firmware update: v1.0.1 includes bug fixes.
i can't wait to have a listen :D

spriter
Nov 2, 2006, 03:30 PM
Mine arrived today also (England).

These things are so much better for running with. In the past I've had a sportband for my 4G which was OK but fiddly to put on and I could always feel it due to the weight. Got tired of that and got a 1st gen shuffle - alot better but still too much movement. Thankfully the weight and movement issues are gone as the 2G Shuffle is a gem. And unbelievably small.

I'm not bothered about the earphones as I've never used Apple earphones for more than 2 minutes because a) they are average quality and b) they fall out :p

I really wonder what Apple can do for a 3rd gen. Maybe they could lose the left side but apart from that it's just a wheel :eek:

MattyMac
Nov 2, 2006, 04:53 PM
Got mine too...my 7th iPod...maybe I should post some comparison pics??

stealthman1
Nov 2, 2006, 07:40 PM
Been playing around...easily worn on a collar, necklace, even clips reasonably well to your ear!

oldwatery
Nov 2, 2006, 10:08 PM
I just got it!
Only 2 days after shipping from China my new Shuffle arrived.
A day earlier than expected.
I can't remember greeting the FedEx guy with a bigger smile on my face. :D
I slowly opened the beautifully designed and constructed packaging.
Stylish but not overindulgent.
I note the clever detail in securing the graphically sharp and simple instructions and the Shuffle itself.
I was so anxious to get it going I plugged it into my PowerBook and started to download some songs and get registered.
But then I had to look at it for a couple of hours while it charged.
Such agony.
But then ....the orange light turned green and I had it out of the cradle in a second.
Oh so small, so finely crafted. The tiny but positive controls.
No problem with the clip in my mind, so get by that one in a second.
Then plug in my newly cleaned and tweeked Etymotics and .........
Blast Off.
In seconds I'm a friggin iPod ad ....
My neighbors must think I'm even crazier than ever.:eek:
But I don't care.
All I hear is the music.
The sound is big, solid, fleshed out, not grainy or thin at all. (I use 320kbps.)
And all I can do is look at this tiny silver thing and be amazed.
As tears moisten my eyes (really!) I am caught in a moment of time.
One of those moments.
I was born in the B&W TV era......and I am stunned and oh so happy.
Thank you Apple ...you help make the world and my life a brighter place.
(I've got it plugged into my monster audiophile rig now and it is still blowing me away!)
$79........they'll sell a Trillion!

joe50000
Nov 3, 2006, 12:24 AM
Got mine today in the mail. I can't believe they packed in the old earphones. Did they have a surplus or something?

cooknwitha
Nov 3, 2006, 03:30 AM
Just bought mine today at the Apple Store in Shinsaibashi, Osaka. I tried some other stores first but everyone had already sold out.

joshwest
Nov 3, 2006, 10:40 AM
Mine was suppose to be here wednesday but fed ex express wont leave even with a signed consent off the website. So mine came yesterday and I like it alot. I kinda understand why they didnt include new buds, might up drove up the price considering they are giving us a free dock with purchase, id rather have the dock than new buds.

backsidetailsli
Nov 3, 2006, 03:01 PM
i love it, im debating whether or not i should buy one

kainjow
Nov 3, 2006, 04:15 PM
Got mine today in the mail. I can't believe they packed in the old earphones. Did they have a surplus or something?

Probably in order to keep it under $80 they included the old headphones. That's my guess..

Tom B.
Nov 3, 2006, 04:17 PM
As expected, here is the first accessory that gives the new shuffle the USB drive ability of the old shuffle. The KEY by Thought Out (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/thought-out-discloses-the-key-for-ipod-shuffle-2g/8929).

MattyMac
Nov 3, 2006, 04:26 PM
I just got it!
Only 2 days after shipping from China my new Shuffle arrived.
A day earlier than expected.
I can't remember greeting the FedEx guy with a bigger smile on my face. :D
I slowly opened the beautifully designed and constructed packaging.
Stylish but not overindulgent.
I note the clever detail in securing the graphically sharp and simple instructions and the Shuffle itself.
I was so anxious to get it going I plugged it into my PowerBook and started to download some songs and get registered.
But then I had to look at it for a couple of hours while it charged.
Such agony.
But then ....the orange light turned green and I had it out of the cradle in a second.
Oh so small, so finely crafted. The tiny but positive controls.
No problem with the clip in my mind, so get by that one in a second.
Then plug in my newly cleaned and tweeked Etymotics and .........
Blast Off.
In seconds I'm a friggin iPod ad ....
My neighbors must think I'm even crazier than ever.:eek:
But I don't care.
All I hear is the music.
The sound is big, solid, fleshed out, not grainy or thin at all. (I use 320kbps.)
And all I can do is look at this tiny silver thing and be amazed.
As tears moisten my eyes (really!) I am caught in a moment of time.
One of those moments.
I was born in the B&W TV era......and I am stunned and oh so happy.
Thank you Apple ...you help make the world and my life a brighter place.
(I've got it plugged into my monster audiophile rig now and it is still blowing me away!)
$79........they'll sell a Trillion!
Awesome description! I know what you mean waiting for it to charge...definitely a killer.

i love it, im debating whether or not i should buy one
Buy It! You won't be dissapointed!

vi2867
Nov 3, 2006, 04:45 PM
I wasn't home when my iPod Shuffle was to be delivered, now I have to go to FedEx and pick it up...:(

I called Apple and told them that I wanted the new headphones, and they are shipping me out some new headphones. I should get them on Monday...:D

thashef
Nov 3, 2006, 05:41 PM
I wasn't home when my iPod Shuffle was to be delivered, now I have to go to FedEx and pick it up...:(

I called Apple and told them that I wanted the new headphones, and they are shipping me out some new headphones. I should get them on Monday...:D

How did you get Apple to send you headphone for free?

ClassicFitness
Nov 3, 2006, 07:18 PM
Got mine too...my 7th iPod...maybe I should post some comparison pics??

Wow!! You are the man!! You have the complete family. Yeah, you should deffinitly post some pics. Would be awesome.:D

weg
Nov 7, 2006, 04:44 PM
How did you get Apple to send you headphone for free?

All they wanted was his credit card number ;-)
(he didn't say he got it for free)

BengalDuck
Nov 8, 2006, 04:04 AM
I get mine on Friday, supposedly. I'd love to track my order now but Apple's Order Tracking has been down for a few hours now.

BengalDuck
Nov 9, 2006, 02:37 AM
I get mine on Friday, supposedly. I'd love to track my order now but Apple's Order Tracking has been down for a few hours now.

Forgive me as I quote myself here...

Nov 8, 2006
9:45 PM
At local FedEx facility
PORTLAND, OR

4:42 PM
Departed FedEx location
INDIANAPOLIS, IN

1:30 AM
Arrived at FedEx location
INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Nov 7, 2006
4:52 PM
Departed FedEx location
ANCHORAGE, AK

12:19 PM
Arrived at FedEx location
ANCHORAGE, AK

12:35 PM
Picked up
SUZHOU CN

I'm just showing the highlights, not all of the updates...

BUT, are you freaking kidding me? I live in Oregon. The package started in China. Going to Alaska I can maybe understand, maybe... but what the hell did it do in Illinois that it couldn't do in Anchorage? They flew over my head about 4000 miles just to come back on the same day! Argh!

SactoGuy18
Nov 10, 2006, 10:17 PM
...No thanks.

The problem is simple: it's so small that it's difficult to manipulate the controls with my relatively big hands (that plus the fact it has no display). I prefer the 2G nano with a real display and the excellent controls. :)

mckvakk
Nov 11, 2006, 03:13 AM
i'm suprised to see that they ship the dock in a separate box, i'd imagine that they got room for it in the shuffle box now that they don't have the cable there. But hey, it's another cool apple box to keep :D

To the european users: did the shuffle ship from china or holland?

yinyang
Nov 11, 2006, 04:20 AM
for some people the shuffle is just too big....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertyinyang/292241075/

:D

Tom B.
Nov 11, 2006, 11:28 AM
i'm suprised to see that they ship the dock in a separate box, i'd imagine that they got room for it in the shuffle box now that they don't have the cable there. But hey, it's another cool apple box to keep :D

Where did you hear that? I am certain that the dock is included in the box, well, my dad's new shuffle had the dock in the same box anyway. :confused:

Max Payne
Nov 11, 2006, 05:43 PM
Just ordered mine. Will arrive by 28th.

mckvakk
Nov 11, 2006, 06:22 PM
Where did you hear that? I am certain that the dock is included in the box, well, my dad's new shuffle had the dock in the same box anyway. :confused:

maybe he ordered a spare dock:confused:

sushi
Nov 11, 2006, 06:46 PM
Purchased my Shuffle at a local store.

The dock was included along with the earbuds.

Love the new Shuffle. The old one was fine, but I sure like the clip and easier to use controls on the new one.

archurban
Nov 13, 2006, 10:39 AM
yeah, I got mine, too last Saturday. it's cool. I like it. now, my new nano is sad not to use :D