Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dunc85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
Today I noticed that MR is causing the CPU usage on my Windows PC to increase a lot.

Using Firefox and having one tab open results in 40-60%, while having two tabs open with MR can cause the usage to reach 100%.

Closing the MR tabs solves the problem.

dunc85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
IE seems ok, and I won't go into why I'm not on my Mac right now :p

dunc85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
They seem ok. It's very strange as I've only noticed it today - the only thing I could think of is that its affected by a banner ad. I'll check it out tomorrow when the ad should be different.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Today I noticed that MR is causing the CPU usage on my Windows PC to increase a lot.

Using Firefox and having one tab open results in 40-60%, while having two tabs open with MR can cause the usage to reach 100%.

Closing the MR tabs solves the problem.

Due to MR's innate awesomeness, it is bound to use more of your cpu. ;) :D :)

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
I'm noticed MR to be really slow today as well. Safari, under 10.3.9 and Safari 1.3.2 on an eMac has crashed about five or six times with MR being the only open tab.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
My work PC has strange happenings with MR sometimes, for 2 days in a row I was getting server timeouts using the PC and it was working ok on the Mac, and then all of a sudden it worked again. :confused:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If you're at work there could be a security setup that slows browsing down for you, but I can't imagine why it would effect CPU speed. Most techniques to restrict non-work internet usage would simply throttle/cease the network connection and leave the actual rendering up to the browser still.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Nah, I work at a small company (Owned by my pa-pa) and I'm pretty much the network admin, so I didn't lock myself out of MR. hehe. It was just strange, I thought 'Oh, MR must be down' checked on the Mac and all was good. Not to worry tho, it works again now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.