Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xiaoxu5101

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
San Francisco
I have a PowerMac G4, AGP model. I connect one external hard drive and one external DVD writer to my computer through the two built-in firewire ports.

However, the computer mount any of my firewire devices on the afternoon (they still working fine on the morning). I had try three way to fix this problem. I did try reinstall the external devices, I did try un-plug every thing include the power of the computer and reconnect them back, and I also reinstall my OSX.

However, all three ways still not fix that problem. Both of my external hard drive and DVD writer have USB port. I did try to connect them with the USB, and they work find.

So my question is does this problem cause to the firewire port or the mother board of the computer (I don't think this problem is cause by my devices because they still work with USB). How can I find out which part cause this problem? And also how can I fix?

Thank you very much.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Reset the Power Management Unit
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95037

or

Boot into Open Firmware (Command-Option-O-F)

Type "reset-nvram" at the prompt followed by "reset-all". Restart

Does this wake the ports up?

Hey mate, I've done a couple of PMU resets and I still can't get my Firewire port to work. Will the Open Firmware thing do anything else to my computer? I hadn't know about this method till now I just want to know what I should expect?

xiaoxu5101

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
San Francisco
no, reset the NRVAM with Command-Option-P-R keys or open to Fireware Command-Option-O-F still won't wake the ports.

Should be the bettery dead? or still something wrong with the logic board? If the problem cause by the logic board, will a firewire PCI card work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.