Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikehowett

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
UK
On my way home from work the other day I slipped and dropped my mint condition PowerBook:(

The damage was limited to the front right corner as shown by the pics:

dsc01992eb6.jpg

dsc01993zu7.jpg

dsc01994xv5.jpg

dsc01995qq8.jpg

Everything still works, including the superdrive, but as far as i can see every part of the case is damaged:( Was the first time I had taken it out the house too, words can't describe how annoyed I was:mad:

Anyway, I assumed it'd be rather expensive to repair so I ordered myself a new 17" C2D MBP. What I want to know is what can I do with the PowerBook?? Sell the whole thing on eBay? Take it to bits and sell it like that? Any suggestions welcome:)

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Give it to me for free so I can use it as a Media Server :p Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease...

Simon1966

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
United Kingdom
Can you make a claim on your household insurance policy for accidental damage?

Failing that i would sell the whole unit on Ebay explaining the damage and showing the damage with pictures so the buyer knows exactly what he/she is getting.

You may well be pleasently surprised how much you get for it on Ebay!

Better luck with the macbbook Pro - i bet that won't leave home. ;-)

Simon

mikehowett

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
UK
Can you make a claim on your household insurance policy for accidental damage?

Failing that i would sell the whole unit on Ebay explaining the damage and showing the damage with pictures so the buyer knows exactly what he/she is getting.

You may well be pleasently surprised how much you get for it on Ebay!

Better luck with the macbbook Pro - i bet that won't leave home. ;-)

Simon

Tried the insurance route, unfortunately our policy doesn't cover laptops:( only desktops:rolleyes:

operator

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Canada
Just think of the new gaps and holes as improved ventilation. In reality, your Powerbook is now better than it used to be. :rolleyes: Sorry, if that annoys you, but at least you can afford to replace it with a MBP.

macs4ever

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
I feel for ya, I really do. Continental took my small case off me as i boarded one of those USA regional jets. My PBG4 was in a Aino sleeve, in a laptop case, wrapped in t-shirts and in the case. From the state of my laptop after the flight, it looks as if they simply threw it off the moving gangway!

Anyway, long and short of it is that I got a repair quote from an Apple authorised service provider for £1550!!!! ...cos the inverter had gone and the case was badly damaged.

Im doing the same as yourself in buying a new Macbook Pro and I also have the same dilemma about what to do with my Powerbook! I took it apart last week to see if I could figure out where the inverter was ...cos its a terrible waste!

I guess itll just be a future project. I couldnt stick it on eBay and get a fraction of its worth!

phatspider

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2005
i got a minor dent in mine but it bugged me so i sent it off to the repair centre courtesy of my insurance company to get the case replaced

my insurance company said it was beyond econimcal repair!!!! so are sending a brand new mbp

i asked if i could buy the powerbook 15 1.67 back off them too and they said yes - 150 quid! bargain!

so where can i get a new lower case in the uk?? will apple store repair it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.