PDA

View Full Version : Is The iPod In Trouble??? (Microsft Zune)

esabourin
Nov 5, 2006, 05:24 PM
With the zune comming out, like soon,,i'm scared for the iPod,,i'm a big iPod fan,,i remember when i bought my first mini,,now i have a black nano, and a white video,,but i'm scared the zune will ni fact become popular,,,,

zap2
Nov 5, 2006, 05:35 PM
I doubt it...it might take a few iPod owners away but people know, and love the iPod. They have invested $$ in iTunes songs and videos, plus iTunes is selling SO many different things now.

Not to mention Apple's iPod line cover more people because it has a middle and a low end iPod, plus a high end. The Zune only has 1 model...if you need more then 30Gb to bad...or if you don't want/need 30Gbs, and want a smaller music player, can't get a Zune.

The Zune is to little to late...they should have made this a while ago, and never should have mayed 3 different music stores.

balamw
Nov 5, 2006, 05:36 PM
We'll see. For now Zune can't compete with the most popular iPods, the nano and the Shuffle as they only have a large 30 GB model. They also don't offer anything larger so the 80 GB iPod is safe for now.

So I wouldn't be too concerned with Zune taking over the majority of sales any time soon.

EDIT: zapped with the same points. :D

B

Chundles
Nov 5, 2006, 05:45 PM
It's freakin' brown....

monke
Nov 5, 2006, 05:47 PM
It's freakin' brown....

Exactly.

An iPod Mini gets stuck in a toilet, everyone gets worried, and they later pull it out.

A Zune gets stuck in a toilet, people wonder how the hell a log that size came out of a human. :D

Chundles
Nov 5, 2006, 05:50 PM
Exactly.

An iPod Mini gets stuck in a toilet, everyone gets worried, and they later pull it out.

A Zune gets stuck in a toilet, people wonder how the hell a log that size came out of a human. :D

And they also say - damn, that's one ugly turd.

Stampyhead
Nov 5, 2006, 05:54 PM
How many of these "Is the Zune the iPod killer?" threads do we need?! Have faith in Apple. They won't give up their marketshare without a fight.

Lixivial
Nov 5, 2006, 05:55 PM
but i'm scared the zune will ni fact become popular,,,,

Why?

Competition tends to have broader positive effects for the consumer. The Zune is in for a long drawn out battle in which the iPod has 5 years lead time (Microsoft has admitted such, and indeed is prepared to take a loss on the hardware). The Zune basically has to do everything the iPod did in 5 years and then some, in terms of building up ecosystems, drawing support from music studios, and building a customer base. Apple had the distinct advantage of building it up in pieces, small steps taken one at a time.

I don't see why the two can't coexist. The market is still young and I believe it can bear two or more companies. It's somewhat surprising Microsoft didn't go full-bore into the mobile phone market as that's where Apple has not yet ventured, and it seems to be the natural progression of all this.

rdowns
Nov 5, 2006, 05:55 PM
This (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=ipod&word2=zune) says it all.

monke
Nov 5, 2006, 05:57 PM
What about this (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=apple&word2=microsoft) one rdowns?

rdowns
Nov 5, 2006, 05:59 PM
What about this (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=apple&word2=microsoft) one rdowns?

Rubbish.

Try this. (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=os+x&word2=vista)

monke
Nov 5, 2006, 06:01 PM
Rubbish.

Try this. (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=os+x&word2=vista)

Nice, but what about this (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=crap%3D&word2=zune) and even this. (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=crap%3D&word2=zune) :)

Carguy172
Nov 5, 2006, 06:07 PM
Wow sad you must all stand up for your Ipods and your macs instead of enjoying what all technology has to offer. Zune has features the ipod does not so quit bashing Microsoft because they actually let apple have office and other applications

Chundles
Nov 5, 2006, 06:10 PM
Wow sad you must all stand up for your Ipods and your macs instead of enjoying what all technology has to offer. Zune has features the ipod does not so quit bashing Microsoft because they actually let apple have office and other applications

AAHAHAHAAH....

Oh you make-a me laugh like the little school girl.

Benjamin
Nov 5, 2006, 06:13 PM
AAHAHAHAAH....

Oh you make-a me laugh like the little school girl.

hey now, take back at least 3-4 of those A's and H's, he is right, the Zune comes in brown, which the ipod doesn't.

*my bad didn't see people have already cited this feature in the thread already.

EGT
Nov 5, 2006, 06:21 PM
I dunno, I quite like the rubberised, two tone look to it. The menu when scrolling through Albums with the album art to the left looks good as well. I'd like to see it in person.

It's good to see in a way. Some competition will keep Apple on their toes. I'm obviously not getting rid of my iPod though.

mrkramer
Nov 5, 2006, 06:30 PM
Nice, but what about this (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=crap%3D&word2=zune) and even this. (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=crap%3D&word2=zune) :)

And what about this (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Steve+Jobs&word2=Bill+Gates)?

Dagless
Nov 5, 2006, 06:41 PM
in trouble? nope. It's the next Creative. What's making it any different?

Maccus Aurelius
Nov 9, 2006, 02:28 PM

The ipod pretty much stands up on its own. Zunes will sell thats true, however zunes probably won't have the same kind of customer service backup as the ipod does. Zunes will only be available in other electronics stores, there wont be any Microsoft stores anytime soon. there wont be TGI Friday's tech geeks sitting at a trendy "bar" giving your music player a diagnostic. Zunes will never ever even touch the nano.

Also, if the zune's interface software doesnt work on OS X, that could pretty much kill the appeal entirely for people that happen to own apple computers, such as myself. In order for the Zune to have even the slighest appeal to all present and potential ipod users, it must be readily usable on both PC and Mac platforms, like the ipod. The very fact that Windows-based PC's have itunes on it makes the zune's chances pretty slim. its possible that mostly tech junkies with money and ipod detractors will buy one, but loyal ipod users will simply scoff at it unless it has features with very useful functions that surpass the ipod's.

crees!
Nov 9, 2006, 03:05 PM

How about all the features the iPod has and that Zune doesn't? You can't even use Zune as an external HD.

Have a read: NY Times - Pogue (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/09/technology/09pogue.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5088&en=0962b6eeca30ab50&ex=1320728400&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss)

PlaceofDis
Nov 9, 2006, 03:16 PM
i don't think Zune will endanger the iPod at all.

their billboard ads that i've seen are pathetic.

they show two people with giant words platered over them saying "Duets are better than a solo act"

huh?
they've got to do better than that.

gnasher729
Nov 9, 2006, 03:23 PM
Zunes will sell thats true, ...

Who says?

Consider this: For years and years, Microsoft promoted "PlayForSure" which lets you buy music with DRM that plays everywhere - with the notable exception of the iPod. Now if you invested money in "PlayForSure" songs and because PlayForSure is made by Microsoft, and Zune is made by Microsoft, you buy a Zune, then what happens? You are *********. Microsoft decided to produce a player that is not compatible with Microsoft products.

I don't think consumers are idiots. The Zune starts by ********** Microsoft customers. If they do it once, they will do it twice. Buying a Zune is a guarantee for future headache.

needthephone
Nov 10, 2006, 07:43 AM
I'm still in the market for an MP3 player and don't own an ipod.

Zune will not tempt me.

All I want is a good player I can download my own CD's too- have no interest in buying stuff from itunes of MS marketplace. I want a hard copy.

I would love an ipod but not yet..

Come on apple excite us with something new please, its getting boring...

Zune, nah

PlaceofDis
Nov 10, 2006, 08:34 AM
All I want is a good player I can download my own CD's too- have no interest in buying stuff from itunes of MS marketplace. I want a hard copy.

and you can do that with just about ANY MP3 player.

Sesshi
Nov 10, 2006, 08:51 AM
The only thing that can kill iPod at this point in time is any complacency by Apple. They're generally on top of their competitors right now and the Zune still looks like a second-rate alternative. And the revenue-sharing scheme deserves to be stomped on. Hard. I was going to get a Zune after released but I'm thinking twice now.

That NYT article was surely biased to the iPod but I bet a lot of people will end up feeling the same way. But then, a lot of people on the other hand feel 'everyone has an iPod, I want something else'. If Sony can finally get their act together they stand to be a third and dark horse - and crippled they may be, but their stuff still looks darned good (far better than M$/Toshiba can cook up).

Tom B.
Nov 10, 2006, 09:12 AM
Mossberg, Pogue unimpressed by Microsoft Zune

The Wall Street Journal’s Walt Mossberg and The New York Times’ David Pogue, two of the most well known and widely read tech columnists, both give less than stellar marks to Microsoft’s Zune media player in their reviews of the device today. While both writers give the Zune credit for a handful of features—with Pogue even calling the device “excellent” at one point—they both offer up fairly damaging final reviews.

“This first Zune has too many compromises and missing features to be as good a choice as the iPod for most users,” Mossberg writes. “The hardware feels rushed and incomplete. It is 60% larger and 17% heavier than the comparable iPod. It has much worse battery life for music than the iPod or than Microsoft claims—at least two hours less than the iPod’s, in my tests. Despite the larger screen, many album covers look worse than they do on the iPod. And you can’t share music libraries between computers like you can with iTunes… Overall, the iPod and iTunes are still the champs. Still, I expect the Zune to attract some converts and to get better with time. And this kind of competition from a big company with deep pockets and lots of talent is good for consumers in the long run.”

“Competition is good and all. But what, exactly, is the point of the Zune?” asks Pogue. “It seems like an awful lot of duplication—in a bigger, heavier form with fewer features—just to indulge Microsoft’s ‘we want some o’ that’ envy. Wireless sharing is the one big new idea—and if the public seems to respond, Apple could always add that to the iPod… The Zune 1.0 player is pretty barren, too. It doesn’t have a single standard iPod amenity: no games, alarm clock, stopwatch, world clock, password-protected volume limiter, equalizer, calendar, address book or notes module. Incredibly, you can’t even use the Zune as an external hard drive, as you can with just about every other player on earth.”

I think that speaks for itself. :rolleyes:

Warbrain
Nov 10, 2006, 09:14 AM
No, the iPod isn't in trouble. Microsoft thinks that the Zune will be able to claim a large amount of marketshare, but it won't. People trust the iPod. People will not go to another player if it doesn't work anywhere near as well as the iPod, and the Zune won't.

Sesshi
Nov 10, 2006, 10:46 AM
I think that speaks for itself. :rolleyes:

Well yes, but then both are rabid Apple fanboys.

Benjamin
Nov 12, 2006, 01:13 AM
No, the iPod isn't in trouble. Microsoft thinks that the Zune will be able to claim a large amount of marketshare, but it won't. People trust the iPod. People will not go to another player if it doesn't work anywhere near as well as the iPod, and the Zune won't.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/11/zune_buy1.jpg

Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/12/stores-selling-zunes-early/)

feelthefire
Nov 12, 2006, 01:03 PM
I really think people need to stop thinking about this in terms of Zune killing the iPod. it's like for most of you, no other device can coexist in the presence of the iPod's greatness.

I think apple dropped the ball in not getting a true new high capacity device out for the holidays. They're not offering us anything new, at all. At least the Zune offers something untried and a little unique.

Also, for some reason a bunch of people don't know this, but Microsoft does not stand to benefit if they kill off the zune. They stand to make the most profit by winning over new consumers and trying to leave current iPod owners out of it. Why might that be, you ask? Because microsoft owns almost a billion dollars of stock in apple, thanks to a little investment they made in the late '90s as apple was failing miserably. As long as the iPod does well, Microsoft makes money. If they can win over their own client base, AND keep the iPod's base untouched, they win on both sides.

So, they're probably not out to kill the iPod. They're putting another device out there. I really don't understand why this is causing widespread panic and iPod owners feel the need to disparage the device at every turn. I mean really- are we that juvenile? Buy whatever you want. The iPod's not going anywhere. Why does it matter if it doesn't completely dominate the market?

calculus
Nov 12, 2006, 01:09 PM
I I really don't understand why this is causing widespread panic

Widespread panic? Widespread laughter more like!

robPOD
Nov 12, 2006, 01:14 PM
Stop posting about things that have already been posted a million times:)

stoid
Nov 12, 2006, 01:30 PM
Because microsoft owns almost a billion dollars of stock in apple, thanks to a little investment they made in the late '90s as apple was failing miserably. As long as the iPod does well, Microsoft makes money.

This wasn't because Apple was failing miserably, it was because Apple was suing Microsoft for patent infringements. Furthermore, Microsoft soon shorted the stock because they thought Apple was going down. Turns out, Apple has gone up considerably since then, and Microsoft has lost $100s of millions for their lack of vision.

feelthefire
Nov 12, 2006, 04:49 PM
This wasn't because Apple was failing miserably, it was because Apple was suing Microsoft for patent infringements. Furthermore, Microsoft soon shorted the stock because they thought Apple was going down. Turns out, Apple has gone up considerably since then, and Microsoft has lost $100s of millions for their lack of vision.

No stock information I've seen about this exchange cites microsoft losing hundreds of millions for their shortsightedness, or cites them dropping the stock. All accounts show the currently held stock to be worth about a billion dollars, which is a pretty big chunk of apple's existence.

Also, as I understood it, part of the deal was apple getting microsoft apps to boost the usability of their hardware, which they seem to still be using, so it's doubtful microsoft got that burned in this deal.

crudonrice
Nov 15, 2006, 04:01 PM
The zune is coming and im an ipod fan. Ipods are a coolness mark, think about it; ipods fit in your pocket but everyone carries them in thier hand. Headphones, the ones it come with suck, but everyone uses them to say "Ihave an ipod look at me." The zune comes in brown now big deal, same color as the dump i just took. The zune also cant work on any itunes downloaded songs so the 10,000 song investors would be screwed. I dont know what the hype is about it will probably fail (especially if ipod price goes down) the zune only comes in one size as wel not like 6 i think. its not in trouble it only has a new reason for apple to actually work a little harder

crudonrice
Nov 15, 2006, 04:02 PM
The zune is coming and im an ipod fan. Ipods are a coolness mark, think about it; ipods fit in your pocket but everyone carries them in thier hand. Headphones, the ones it come with suck, but everyone uses them to say "Ihave an ipod look at me." The zune comes in brown now big deal, same color as the dump i just took. The zune also cant work on any itunes downloaded songs so the 10,000 song investors would be screwed. I dont know what the hype is about it will probably fail (especially if ipod price goes down) the zune only comes in one size as wel not like 6 i think. its not in trouble it only has a new reason for apple to actually work a little harder

princealfie
Nov 15, 2006, 04:16 PM
out there. I really don't understand why this is causing widespread panic and iPod owners feel the need to disparage the device at every turn. I mean really- are we that juvenile? Buy whatever you want. The iPod's not going anywhere. Why does it matter if it doesn't completely dominate the market?

We disparage poor executions of reasonable ideas. If the Zune actually meant something then we would be a little more respectful.

In fact, even Creative did much better on their recent offerings.

Lancetx
Nov 15, 2006, 05:03 PM
Another thing I've never seen mentioned anywhere in the media is that while the Zune is "competition" for the 5G iPod, where is their competitor for the iPod nano? The nano is Apple's highest selling iPod model and the Zune is no competition to it at all. They also have no answer for the shuffle either for that matter.

To boil it all down and say that the Zune is an "iPod killer" is silly, the iPod isn't just the 5G model, the iPod is also the nano and the shuffle too. And that's not to even mention the enormous secondary market of iPod accessories that the Zune will simply never be able to touch.

rockthecasbah
Nov 15, 2006, 05:16 PM
I thought I actually heard that MS was offering free downloads of all songs that users bought in the iTMS if they switched to the Zune, i may have misread that though :o

In general I agree with what you're saying. Brown is no biggie, and i think that the Zune just asthetically is not pleasing. Apple isn't threatened by the Zune at all, but it is still a reason for Apple not be resting on their laurels. If the 6G doesn't come out relatively soon i think that the Zune may have a chance of selling decently, but it certainly won't bring a change in power to the market. Beaming music isn't that special and they won't give up their flawless iPods for a brick of ugly and a bigger screen.

KipCoon
Nov 15, 2006, 06:37 PM
I wouldnt worry. Most agree MS's music purchasing with it is horrible, and the gimmick of wifi transfers is a joke. hear it 3 times or keep it for 3 days and then it goes away? Whats the point. And a bunch of the songs you buy still won't allow for that share feature.

No worries here :)

Sweetfeld28
Nov 15, 2006, 07:21 PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/11/zune_buy1.jpg

Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/12/stores-selling-zunes-early/)

You think thats bad, check this out:

Zune incompatable with Vista! (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2237)

Hobofuzz
Nov 15, 2006, 07:47 PM
Rubbish.

you did it wrong.

THIS (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Mac+os+x&word2=Windows+vista) is the right one.

Hobofuzz
Nov 15, 2006, 07:50 PM
And what about this (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Steve+Jobs&word2=Bill+Gates)?

Sorry about the double post, but this comparison isn't exactly correct.

Steve Jobs is a CEO, Bill Gates is just a chairman. Try using Balmer (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Steve+Jobs&word2=Steve+Balmer)

The results are astounding.

SMM
Nov 15, 2006, 07:54 PM
Well yes, but then both are rabid Apple fanboys.

You seem to spend a lot of time behind that camel.

SMM
Nov 15, 2006, 07:56 PM
Exactly.

Beautiful - today's gold star winner!

Quboid
Nov 15, 2006, 08:13 PM
the only thing the zune could really do is make apple make the ipod better. The ipod is no doubt the most popular a relied on (not sure about reliable) mp3 player on the market. I belive that a percentage of the ipod's success is thanks to the "novelty" of it all.The ipod is the coolest looking, slickest, slimest and therefore most popular player. (strict) Apple users who use ipod's shouldn't even bother , cuase from what i heard, it wont sync with macs (think i got that from this site). A high percentage of the pc users that use ipods use it maily because of the mentioned "novelty" cause it's cool. I personaly dont think that the zune is cool enough to steal them.

Now i think ipod's are the best,not just because they look cool, but for simple functions like it pauses when you pull the headphones out, it syncs with itunes seamlessly, the click wheel(perfect) and it doesn't freeze up (something i notice prevelant in high capacity player,eg iriver). However the ipod still lacks features like SRS sorround, built in microphones, etc.

With all that said, i think the zune would bring good things to the ipod fans, becuase real competition would stimulate perfection, which is exactly what we expect from apple.

Sesshi
Nov 16, 2006, 04:40 AM
You seem to spend a lot of time behind that camel.

It's a high horse.

emotion
Nov 16, 2006, 05:30 AM
You lot do know that this brown will catch on don't you? There's an SE k800i in that colour too. It's a more a bronze if anything.

OK, for a semi-balanced review of the Zune from a respectable site (which still makes me chuckle :) ) please see here:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/zune.ars

Sesshi
Nov 16, 2006, 06:25 AM
I must say though it's looking more and more likely that the next iPod will render it irrelevant. MS might get two or three months of being talked about but that might be it.