PDA

View Full Version : iBooks Tuesday?

MacRumors
Apr 21, 2003, 11:36 PM
Tuesday (April 22nd, 2003) appears to be a possible day for iBook updates. We'll see shortly.

AllenPSU
Apr 21, 2003, 11:42 PM
Wonder what this is based on... would be nice if it were true.

vniow
Apr 21, 2003, 11:44 PM
arn's going to be busy next week....

arn
Apr 21, 2003, 11:46 PM
just random tidbits... nothing solid, nothing reliable...

arn

QCassidy352
Apr 22, 2003, 12:08 AM
apple... please... it's way past time for this... I can't take any more false rumors about ibook/ PB updates!! We know you have 'em; let us buy 'em!

NavyIntel007
Apr 22, 2003, 12:11 AM
Dude, we've heard this for months. It's getting annoying.

Snowy_River
Apr 22, 2003, 12:28 AM
I guess this would be in line with the TS rumor from a little bit ago. But, I'm not convinced. Luckily, I don't have to be. I can just sit and wait a few hours... :)

bentmywookie
Apr 22, 2003, 12:54 AM
I do think there is a possibility the iBooks will be released tomorrow. If you look at the very un-exciting upgrade specs that ThinkSecret posted, this is not going to be Apple.com frontpage material in the least. However, if they do update the iBooks, I can't imagine Apple not putting in on the frontpage in some way - however, if they do it tomorrow, they will only have to have the incredibly worthless "900 Mhz iBook" announcement on for a week (at least as the main ad), since April 28th is definitely bringing some, much bigger announcement.

dguisinger
Apr 22, 2003, 02:10 AM
I dont know about when the new iBooks are coming, but has anyone else realized Apple is able to switch to G4 iBooks with little overhead expense?

It appears to me that when the 970 enters the PowerBook line next winter/spring, the existing motherboards from the 12" powerbook will be used on the 12" and 14" iBooks with little or no modifications. Does anyone else agree?

digitalgiant
Apr 22, 2003, 03:02 AM
Apple store site is down at the moment,,,we shall see;)

rickvanr
Apr 22, 2003, 03:08 AM
apple store is down north of the border too, im guessing random maintainance tho... usually is

meghop
Apr 22, 2003, 03:47 AM
They're heeeerrrre.... New ibooks up!

celaurie
Apr 22, 2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by meghop
They're heeeerrrre.... New ibooks up!

Bugger this dial-up connection! If the flipping page would have loaded quicker I might have been able to tell you that at least 3 minutes ago.

Heh, new iBooks... sweet!

dstorey
Apr 22, 2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by digitalgiant
Apple store site is down at the moment,,,we shall see;)

though i've noty checked properly...seems to be for as new store design...oh new ibook...only 900mhz but i didn't see it in the sore main page or the main splash, only one of them small ads, seems very minor revision....and no airport extreme...also its $300 more for just 10 more gig and 100mhz faster, thats all i can tell is difference, the older 12.1" is much more of a bargin at 999

zer0army
Apr 22, 2003, 04:07 AM
The font page of the apple site boasts a 60 gig hard drive option for the ibook. However when you check out the tech specs on the ibook page it says the biggest drive you can get is a 40 gig. Have they just not updated the info yet ?

rickvanr
Apr 22, 2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by zer0army
The font page of the apple site boasts a 60 gig hard drive option for the ibook. However when you check out the tech specs on the ibook page it says the biggest drive you can get is a 40 gig. Have they just not updated the info yet ?

in the store they show the 60 gig.. its only the cutom built one tho

melchior
Apr 22, 2003, 05:08 AM
what was this source and what else do they have to say?

melchior
Apr 22, 2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by dstorey
its $300 more for just 10 more gig and 100mhz faster, thats all i can tell is difference, the older 12.1" is much more of a bargin at 999

it's 10gb, 100mhz AND a combo drive

entirely a bargain if you ask me. excellent value.

ChrisUK
Apr 22, 2003, 05:36 AM
Here in the uK they have added the .mac account as a Build To Order option too. It is available on all of the macs.

The 60gig HD option is also avaialble.

I'm not too woried about the lack of Firewire Extreme, however I think that Apple has missed an oportunity in not adding Bluetooth. But I suppose that they needed to keep re-engineering costs down as well as a need to differentiate the extra cost of the 12" Powerbook.

Finally, why can you not purchase the D-Link BT adapter on its own (or with an ibook)? You can only get it if you order it with the 15" imac or the 15.1" TiBook?

dekator
Apr 22, 2003, 05:47 AM
Nothing but a slight speed bump really. No Air Port Extreme, no Bluetooth and still only 128MB of RAM... (with the 12'1ers)
That means, if you actually want to use your iBook, you'll have to have RAM added to it right away (or add it yourself, of course, which is preferable given the prices of the Apple Store). I wonder what impression that makes with newbies. Silly, if you ask me.

Nermal
Apr 22, 2003, 06:04 AM
My iBook isn't top of the line anymore :(

Not that there's much difference, I'm happy with what I've got.

Edit: They also appear to still run OS 9. My reasoning behind this is that the spec sheet says "Software: Mac OS X, Mac OS 9" but the Power Mac sheet says "Mac OS X with Classic Environment".

AppleMatt
Apr 22, 2003, 06:43 AM
I love Apple, they're great.

Instead of having a big splash on the front page they've got a "Check out our new store design" image.

It's so obvious they monitor these sites like hawks.

AppleMatt

AppleMatt
Apr 22, 2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Nermal
Edit: They also appear to still run OS 9. My reasoning behind this is that the spec sheet says "Software: Mac OS X, Mac OS 9" but the Power Mac sheet says "Mac OS X with Classic Environment".

They do:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/8352/95/store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/step1bullet1ibook_1102.gif

:)

Now I want to see the 12" Powerbook compared to the 900MHz iBook, then I'll know which to get.

AppleMatt

(You'll have to click on the image link, for some reason the picture isn't showing up)

bokdol
Apr 22, 2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by AppleMatt
\
It's so obvious they monitor these sites like hawks.

AppleMatt

if they monitor these sites like hawks..... it's kinda dissapointing that they only gave aus a speed bump and not what we want

iJon
Apr 22, 2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by melchior
what was this source and what else do they have to say?
why do you people ask for sources, these people who know are not suppose to tell, thats what gets them in trouble, you will never know the sources and you dont need to know. have some common sense.

iJon

jamilecrire
Apr 22, 2003, 07:51 AM
They are out. And they still run OS 9.

Look at the bottom of the homepage (apple.com)

900MHz/800MHz

NavyIntel007
Apr 22, 2003, 08:17 AM
If they added bluetooth and airport extreme it would put it in better light than the 12" powerbook. Right now the ibook probably performs better than the powerbook. I think that Apple will probably update all the powerbooks in either may or june and maybe do a new ibook design around august to catch the back to schoolers.

DaveGee
Apr 22, 2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by iJon
why do you people ask for sources, these people who know are not suppose to tell, thats what gets them in trouble, you will never know the sources and you dont need to know. have some common sense.

iJon

I just don't believe you Jon. What's your source on that?!?! ;) :D

D

rog
Apr 22, 2003, 09:26 AM
I for one don't believe this rumor at all! How totally far fetched.

timbloom
Apr 22, 2003, 09:44 AM
Nice, I have an iBook that should be on its way from Apple as a replacement here in a couple days (sending mine off today if they label gets here) I hope I get the extra 100mhz and 10gigs, either way I don't mind considering the one I have now is a 500mhz lemon. I am glad I bought AppleCare, it is a life saver.

AppleMatt
Apr 22, 2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by bokdol
if they monitor these sites like hawks..... it's kinda dissapointing that they only gave aus a speed bump and not what we want

I know...but maybe it is because by the time we recieve the information, it is too late for them to change.

For example, I posted a quote the otherday saying that the new iBook enclosures had been shipping for at least 3 weeks.

It's a shame, but its still a step forward. I think Apple still really want the iBook/Powerbook divide.

AppleMatt

sparks9
Apr 22, 2003, 01:09 PM
AppleMatt;;; remember that the PBs use G4s while the iBooks only have G3. I think that would make quite a big difference in performance.

AppleMatt
Apr 22, 2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by sparks9
AppleMatt;;; remember that the PBs use G4s while the iBooks only have G3. I think that would make quite a big difference in performance.

That's what I initially thought, however I have since discovered that this is simply not the case.

This is why a lot of people (me included) are very interested in the benchmarks between the 867/900MHz Powerbook/iBooks.

However, the specs of the 17" are something to drool over.

AppleMatt

iJon
Apr 22, 2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by DaveGee
I just don't believe you Jon. What's your source on that?!?! ;) :D

D
huh im confused, anyways, i didnt mean to come off as a hard ass. arn probably knows some people who tell him these things. with the way apple operates, these people arent suppose to tell. all we can do is read the rumors, and wait to see if they were true. apple would probably throw people in jail if they found out who tells these things. thats all im saying.

iJon

melchior
Apr 22, 2003, 09:27 PM
actually iJon, i am one of those people advocating that arn does not need to reveal his sources and he he says with certainty there will be a 17" PB or there will be new ipod layout then i believe him. went through a rather annoying debate about this last week.... and i was supporting the point of view that sources would never be revealed. you got the wrong end of the stick old boy

what i was asking was 'not reveal your source'. this was a page 2 rumour, that proved to be 100% accurate. just wanted to know what else they might have had to say that we can also believe.

:D

iJon
Apr 24, 2003, 04:55 PM
sorry melchior, well from the looks of it, new ibooks do not boot into os 9, havnet opened the box the confirm yet, but the outside of the box says no os 9.

iJon

cotell
Apr 25, 2003, 02:44 PM
I know I was asking too much I was hoping that the iBooks would evantually go G4

I know what would be th point of the PowerBooks if this happened but still....

QCassidy352
Apr 25, 2003, 05:00 PM
They do boot in to OS 9. Which is funny, considering that the rep at the apple store made a special point of tell me that they would not boot in 9.

Abstract
Apr 25, 2003, 05:29 PM
Cassidy is right. They boot into OS9 despite what they tell you. ;)