Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
I'm looking for software. preferably cheap that will increase the resolution of a web dl'd image. I know extensis has one but i can't find it on their site, and i think it is bundled with other software.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
have you used any of these are they good.
They all have trials and all use different approaches, so you may want to try all and see what works best on your images. "Best" is really subjective here. Even some of the options offered by the cheap GraphicConverter can offer pleasing results.

Also that company also sells Genuine Fractals is that the same thing?
Same company but different zoom method.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I've used Genuine Fractals. It's good but not a miracle-worker... don't expect to get a clean A4 300ppi+ image from a web graphic.

After using it I tend to then over-size with an action in Photoshop to size up at 1% increments, clean artifacts up manually, some judicious smart blurring in places and a bunch of other tweaks then sample down.

Or even better, recreate the artwork if it's simple. Do this a few times a month for crap-quality web logos that others send us for print.

Bonstable

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2006
Sorry but if this artwork passes a repro house, it would get fired back to you. The only thing you can do is source the originaal high res image or reshoot. There is no magic wand and anything else will look fudged and bodged. Sorry!
Edit: Is it a photo or artwork, if artwork, you stand a better chance, and sorry for jumping in like that, it can be done more sucessfully!

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
this is for images found off the web that need to be blown up to decent resolution for comps.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I've had pretty poor results with Genuine Fractals. In fact, a scaled-up-in-photoshop version looked better that the GF results. (Translation, file wasn't useable).

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland
not sure how critical the image is.. but try googling "rasterbator" oor just go here:

homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

- its a webbased app so its free.. and there is a downloadable version, but its mainly a windoze app- questionable results on mac, havent tried it out myself..
but just thought it might help in your search- and on the cheap/free side

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.